By Kevin Siembieda
One game system – every genre – countless worlds – endless adventure
It has been a great week. Very productive on many fronts. Both creatively and business, as well as the Open House.
Holy Moley! Plans for the 2021 Palladium Open House (POH) are shaping up fast. That’s how excited people are about it. Get this, we already have 42 Palladium creators and personalities confirmed, some tentative, and more will be added! Wow. Definitely going to be the biggest POH yet. With more writers, artists, game designers, editors, Game Masters, and podcasters than ever before. And I’m telling you, the POH will be here in no time. It’s only about a year and a half away now!
We also have the 2021 Palladium Open House Hotel information for you later in this Update and in the large description in the Palladium Online store. Both are hotels we’ve used, and you’ve liked, in the past. Nightly rates are $50-$100 plus tax and only minutes from the Palladium warehouse.
Halloween Surprise Package! Okay, it’s really the start of our annual Christmas Surprise Package, but with Halloween only two weeks away you can use the Surprise Package to snap up horror titles – Dead Reign® (zombie apocalypse), Nightbane®, BTS, horror issues of The Rifter®, Rifts® Bestiary, vampire titles and well ... anything in time for Halloween. The Surprise Package is a great way to try new settings, fill in holes in your collection, or serve as a gift for any occasion.
DriveThruRPG’s Annual HALLOWEEN SALE started yesterday. In addition to all kinds of horror games and sourcebooks by scores of companies, the sale includes 86 Palladium RPG titles at a scary good discount. Check it out!
Palladium Christmas Surprise Package Season is here. Yes, in addition to everything else, Palladium’s Surprise Package offer starts now. So start sending in those Grab Bag orders and spreading the word, especially to new people. You’d be surprised how many people don’t know about Palladium’s Christmas Surprise Package or are afraid to try it because they have been burned by other “Grab Bags” that are full of junk, unlike Palladium’s which are tailored to each and every person who orders. Hand selected by me (Kevin Siembieda), personally. Please let people know how awesome the Christmas Surprise Package really is.
FYI: I think all but one of the Rifts® Bestiary Crimson Edition Printer Proofs and 3-4 of the Color Cover Hardcovers remain available in the store. Plus a few slightly damaged copies in my Ebay store, which also has items on sale.
What is the Christmas Surprise Package?
It’s a way to get physical books (and autographs if you want them) for the price of PDF books! $95-$100+ worth of Palladium products for only $50 (plus shipping and handling)! That can nab you four or more items when one core rule book can cost you that alone. What a deal!
These Surprise Packages are our way of saying thank you for your support and showing you our love and appreciation. It’s a surprise because you never know exactly what you’re going to get or who will sign your books, because we pick from your Wish List and may surprise you with stuff you are not expecting. Extra items may include other RPG books, The Rifter®, posters, prints, art books, greeting cards, T-shirts, and other items. Some may be slightly damaged so we can send you more.
Please spread the word. The Christmas Surprise Package is only publicized by word of mouth, to readers of The Rifter® and on Palladium's website – so tell everyone you know. Buy one for every gamer you know. They make astonishing gifts for Christmas, Hanukkah, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. (Sorry, no, you cannot ask for POH or VIP Day admissions in your Christmas Grab Bag.)
See the complete Christmas Surprise Package description here.
UPDATE: Palladium Open House List of Creators Expected to Attend
42 Palladium personalities have already confirmed they will be attending our 40th Anniversary Open House, plus we have a half dozen tentative. And we will almost certainly be adding more for the largest gathering of Palladium creators ever! Here is the list of Palladium Artists, Writers & Personalities for the 2021 POH. Those with an asterisk are “tentative” at this time.
- Amy L. Ashbaugh (Artist)
- Brandon Aten (Writer; Triax 2, Madhaven, The Sovietski, The Rifter®)
- Sarah Aten (Writer, Helper)
- Matthew Balent (Author of Weapons & Armor, Weapons & Castles, Monsters and Animals, and other titles; he was present at the start of Palladium Books!)
- Thomas Bartold* (Defiler, Writer, Island at the Edge of the World) – “tentative”
- Rex Bardoll (Staff, Writer, IT, Concept and Development)
- Carmen Bellaire (Writer and Game Designer; Powers Unlimited 1-3, Splicers®, Naruni, RRT and more.)
- Joseph Bergmans (Honorary Staff Member, Helper, Consultant)
- James Brown (Game Master Supreme, Megaversal Ambassador)
- Matt Burch (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Cameron Cleveland (Writer, Game Master, Concept Guy)
- Matthew Clements (Writer, Northern Gun™ 1 & 2)
- Steven Dawes (Writer, Dark Places™, The Rifter®)
- Greg Diaczyk (Writer, Rifts® Lemuria, The Rifter®)
- Mark Dudley (Artist and Game Master)
- Will Erwin (Artist, Maps, Writer, Game Master)
- Ian Herbert (Writer, Game Master, the Rifter®)
- Paul Herbert (Writer, Game Master, the Rifter®)
- Adam Hutchens (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Carl Gleba (Writer, Secrets of the Atlanteans™, Minion War™ series, Hades, Dyval, and many others, and an awesome G.M.)
- Chris Guertin (Honorary Staff Member/Helper)
- Patrick “Jake” Jakubowski* (Megaversal Ambassador & Game Master)
- Doug Lamberson (Honorary Staff Member/Helper)
- “Madman” Mike Leonard (Artist and Writer)
- Daniel Luna (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Allen Manning (Artist)
- Brian Manning (Artist and Writer)
- Alex Marciniszyn (Staff Editor and Research)
- Mike Mumah (Artist)
- Mark Oberle (Writer, Nightbane® and Rifter®)
- Apollo Okamura (Artist)
- Ramon K. Perez* (Artist, Comic Books) – “tentative”
- Matt Reed (Writer, G.M., The Rifter®, Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Robert Slaughter (Writer, G.M., Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Robert Slaughter Jr (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Steve Glasgow* (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast) – “tentative”
- Sean Robertson* (Writer, Art Director, Savage Rifts® RPG line) – “tentative”
- Ben Rodriguez (Artist)
- Julius Rosenstein (Staff, Writer, Editor & Game Master)
- Jeff “NMI” Ruiz (Palladium’s Online Administrator & MA)
- Kevin Siembieda (Staff, Founder, Writer, Artist & Game Master)
- Kathy Simmons (Staff, Order Processing & Customer Services)
- Josh Sinsapaugh (Writer, Rifter® Contributor)
- Wayne Smith (Staff, Editor, and Editor-in-Chief of The Rifter®)
- Charles Walton II (Artist, Writer, Splicers)
- Zakk Werner (Guides to the Megaverse® Podcast)
- Taylor White (Writer and Musician)
- John Zeleznik* (Cover Artist) – “tentative”
- And more are likely to be added to this list
UPDATE: Hotels for 2021 Palladium Open House Group Block – April 22 (VIP Day) thru Sunday, April 25, 2021
We always find nice, clean, inexpensive hotels for you. For the 2021 POH we have reserved two fan faves from previous POHs, the Red Roof Inn on Ann Arbor Road east of I-275, and the Comfort Inn Plymouth-West Livonia (once known as the Clock Tower Hotel) on Ann Arbor Road just west of I-275, down the street from each other.
Comfort Inn Plymouth-West Livonia
40455 Ann Arbor Road
Plymouth, MI 48170
(734) 455-8100 and ask for the Palladium Books Group Block
- $99.00 plus tax per night for a 2 Queen Beds Room. I believe 50 rooms are available. All rooms have the following:
- 2 queen-size beds
- Microwave and refrigerator
- Premium bedding
- Separate work area
- Flat-screen TV
- Coffee maker
Other Amenities include:
- Free premium Wi-Fi
- Free hot breakfast
- Meeting space
- Indoor pool
The Comfort Inn is roughly 3 miles away from the Palladium warehouse and right off I-275 and Ann Arbor Road. Make sure you tell them you want the Palladium Books Group Block.
Red Roof Inn #016 (Plymouth)
39700 Ann Arbor Road
Plymouth, MI 48170
(734) 459-3300 and ask for the Palladium Books Group Block
- $49.95 plus tax per night for a 2 Double Beds Room – or – one king-size bed single. Note: You must request TWO double beds to insure that’s what you get. I believe only 30 rooms with double beds are available, plus 20 king-size bed singles.
- $55 for a Superior King with mini-fridge, microwave, desk, one king-size bed, and space for one or two sleeping bags or air mattresses. The hotel allows you to bring one or two with you for one or two additional roommates. The Superior King also makes a decent room for gaming after hours.
The Red Roof Inn is only 3 miles away from the Palladium warehouse and right off I-275 and Ann Arbor Road. Make sure you tell them you want the Palladium Books Group Block and request two beds if that’s what you need. Located in Plymouth, Michigan. Note: If we should need more hotels there is a nearby La Quinta and some other hotels we can tap. More details about the 2021 POH and hotel information is posted in the Palladium online store.
2021 POH Highlights
- Game at the Palladium Books warehouse with the people who create the games you enjoy! There is nothing really quite like the Palladium Open House (POH). An intimate setting and unprecedented access to 40+ Palladium creators – writers, artists, editors, freelancers, staff – available to you for almost the entire event. Many of them – Kevin Siembieda, Julius Rosenstein, Carl Gleba, Greg Diaczyk, Carmen Bellaire, Brandon Aten, Steve Dawes, Paul “Herbie” Herbert, Ian Herbert, Hendrik Härterich, James Brown and many others – running games or participating in events.
- The POH is not a convention. It is a gathering of friends and gamers in a celebratory family reunion atmosphere. Three days (four with VIP Day) of gaming, fun, and laughter. We are told on a regular basis how the Palladium Open House is unlike any event they have ever attended. That’s probably why we get gamers from across the globe. Not just the USA and Canada, but from England, Germany, Spain, South America and as far away as Australia!
- Celebrate Palladium’s landmark 40th Anniversary with us!
- Intimate setting, unlike big conventions.
- Family reunion and party atmosphere for the entire event.
- Join the fun and make memories to last a lifetime.
- Price of admission covers all RPG events.
- Limited to only 300 attendees! May sell out.
- Inexpensive hotels minutes away ($50-$100). 15 minutes from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Near major highways.
- Three days of gaming (4 for those attending VIP night), plus panel talks and more.
- Many events run by the writers, artists, and creators who make the games!
- Saturday Live Hosted Auction (original art, out of print items and oddities).
- Held at the Palladium warehouse and office where your favorite games are made. 39074 Webb Court, Westland, Michigan 48185.
- Typically 30+ Palladium creators are present to chat, sign books, sell prints and original art, and for our 40th Anniversary we’re expecting even more.
- Get original artwork, character sketches, books, T-shirts, and more.
- A POH only happens every 2-4 years, and our 40th Anniversary only happens once in a lifetime. So please spread the word and start planning to join the fun, April 22-25, 2021, for an incredible experience.
- Palladium Open House – April 23-25,2021 (April 22 for VIP Day)
VIP Thursday Cost: $117 (Thursday only)– April 22, 2019 (special): 1:00 PM doors open and you get first crack at limited editions, original art, new products, specialty items, and to meet Palladium staff and creators – 6:00 PM dinner – 7:00 PM Opening Ceremonies – 8:00 PM the evening’s games begin. Limited to about 100-120 people. Note: VIP Thursday always sells out fast, so we offer around 50% of the tickets now, and the remainder at a later date.
Weekend Pass: $60 (Friday, Saturday & Sunday)
Friday (only): $30
Saturday (only): $30
Sunday (only): $10
All major credit cards accepted. Order online (www.palladiumbooks.com) or by phone (734-721-2903 order line), or by mail. Send check or money order to: Palladium Open House – 39074 Webb Court – Westland, MI 48185-7606
- Space is limited. We can only safely accommodate 300 or so people at the Palladium warehouse, so admission tickets are LIMITED. Once we fill up we will have to turn people away. We don’t anticipate that ... but it might happen based on initial excitement levels. We highly recommend ordering your admission tickets as soon as possible.
- To ensure everyone has a chance to attend, we offer admissions in three waves. This is the first. The second will probably be in February or March. The third in August.
- Your credit card will be charged and funds withdrawn NOW, to guarantee your place for the April 2021 POH 40th Anniversary event. Refund details are presented in the more expansive Online Store Description.
NEW! Land of the Damned™ Three: The Bleakness™ – Raw Preview Limited Edition – Available now
The “Raw Preview Edition” of LotD-3: The Bleakness™, for Palladium Fantasy RPG® arrived early last week. All pre-orders have shipped and new orders ship as they come in. Get ‘em while you can because it is limited to only 200 copies! The LotD-3: The Bleakness™ Raw Preview is an advance copy of the unedited, unillustrated, working manuscript for this upcoming, new Fantasy World Book. You get to see the unfinished book months before the final title is released to put you in the know ahead of most people, and to start playing now. A rare look at the raw manuscript before final edit, rewrites, and publication that give you a glimpse of Palladium’s work and development process. Limited to a total of 200 copies.
This epic sourcebook presents more of the forbidden Land of the Damned in all its brutal glory. Includes information about the ancient and forgotten eldritch races, the Minotaur legions, dark magic, the Citadel, the Bleakness, countless adventure hooks and ideas, and much, much more. The long awaited final book in the Land of the Damned series will have connections to the Garden of the Gods™ and the upcoming Lopan Fantasy World Book.
Note: The finished book is anticipated to ship next summer, but you can see what it’s all about right now and even start playing with this special Preview Edition!
- Limited collector’s edition – only 200 collector copies.
- Sold on a first come, first served basis, while supplies last.
- A rare glimpse at the virgin manuscript and a work in progress.
- Written by Matthew Clements, based on ideas by Kevin Siembieda.
- 96 pages – Limited Edition – $20.99 – Cat. No. 470-RAW – available now! Do not miss out.
UPDATE: The Rifter® #84 – in final production
Wayne is working fast and furious on The Rifter® #84, our last issue before it goes on hiatus. And a special issue it is, with source material for Rifts®, Fantasy RPG®, Heroes Unlimited™, Nightbane® and more! John Zeleznik cover depicting a True Atlantean. This issue focuses on dark places, monsters, magic, and the supernatural just in time for the Halloween season. After this issue, The Rifter® goes on hiatus for at least two years so we can focus our full attention on releasing new books.
UPDATE: Garden of the Gods™ (Fantasy) – in final production
Epic! Expansive. 40+ Forgotten Gods, 50+ Curses. 80+ Blessings, plus Holy Weapons, magic artifacts, an overview of the Garden of the Gods, visions, miracles, Knightly protectors, Champions of the Gods, Faerie Folk, the Black Pit, five Greatest Rune Weapons of the Old Ones, mystery, secrets, and more! If this book doesn’t get players and Game Masters excited, nothing will. Garden of the Gods™ also helps to set up several other Palladium Fantasy titles in the works or done and waiting for final edit and tweaking.
UPDATE: Dead Reign®: In the Face of Death™
I can’t wait to finish writing this book, but need to get The Rifter® #84 and Garden of the Gods done first. Soon! Probably a November release.
UPDATE: Rifts® Titan Robotics™ – Fall release
Every time I look at the artwork for this book I just think, wow. One of many titles that will excite and tantalize your imaginations. A ton of toys for players and ideas for Game Masters. Robots and power armor galore, but also the inner workings of Titan Robotics and Archie Three’s schemes. I think 80% of the artwork is done. I continue to make notes and we are all pumped up about this power armor, robot, and weapon filled sourcebook.
Rifts® Titan Robotics™ is another high-tech toy box presenting new types of armor, sleek power armor, giant robots, vehicles, and weapons sold by Titan Robotics. Ah, but Titan Robotics is much more than just another weapons manufacturer, it is the secret operation of ARCHIE-3 and all part of his plan to monitor and manipulate the outside world. Learn about Archie’s androids that run Titan Robotics, his current schemes and plans for the future. Probably a 160 page World Book around $22.99 retail, but may expand into 192 pages.
- New Giant Robots.
- New Power Armor, equipment and accessories.
- 30+ power armors and robots, plus other equipment.
- New weapons, gear and vehicles.
- Titan Robotics Corporation and structure.
- Archie’s secret kingdom and plans for the future.
- New O.C.C.s and key Non-Player Characters (NPCs).
- Android executives, security and much more.
- Wellington Industries, Campaign prompts and more.
- Art by Zeleznik, Walton, Cummings, Atkins, and others.
- Written by Matthew Clements and Kevin Siembieda. Cover by Zeleznik.
- 160-192 pages (tentative) – $22.99 retail (or $26.99) – Cat. No. 899. Fall 2019 or winter (tentative).
A Fall surprise or two
If things go well, I may slip in a Raw Edition and a surprise release before Christmas. The surprise is a little something that has been eating away at me and that I’ve been working on here and there. No more details until I know it’s coming out.
UPDATE: Rifts® Chaos Earth® – Psychic Scream™ – Winter release
You will love Psychic Scream™, though I think I’m going to slot in Rifts® Titan Robotics™ ahead of it since so much more of that book is finished, art and all. If the description for Psychic Scream™ doesn’t get your heart pumping, I don’t know what will! Making notes and adding ideas that will blow your minds.
UPDATE: Rifts® Antarctica™ – Winter release
I am bursting with ideas and had to stop and make all kinds of notes. I think Rifts® Antarctica™ is going to surprise and delight a lot of people. It is also a great example of the fun you can have with the Raw Editions. The sold out Rifts® Antarctica Raw Edition is a far cry from what the finished book is going to be. Those of you who bought the Raw Edition get a glimpse at Palladium’s creative process. When you compare the two, you’ll see what we kept, what we eliminated, what we added, and how we embellished the material to reach the creative finale of the finished book coming this fall or winter. Fun and educational for those of you who aspire to be writers yourself or just like to have the inside track at Palladium. And true of all Raw Editions vs the finished book. Probably a fall or winter release.
Rifts® Antarctica is a truly compelling and exotic land beyond what anyone expects. A frozen continent transformed by the power of magic and alien wildlife. Long isolated from the rest of the world, Rifts, D-Shifting events and the threat of war have now brought the distant South Pole within reach. Probably a 160 page World Book around $22.99 retail.
- New alien monsters and D-Bees.
- Strange new weapons and vehicles. Some left over from the Golden Age of Humanity, others completely alien.
- The Splugorth’s secret outpost. More than it would seem.
- A Splugorth zoo and place of secret Bio-Wizard experiments.
- Snow and Ice Golems created specifically for the cold environment.
- An ancient city of stone that predates human history and which even the Splugorth fear, let alone their minions! Ask yourself, what could possibly scare the Splugorth? Find out.
- Danger from Elements, Ice Witches, Icecraft, and other horrors.
- Vostok City, a city of magic carved from the ice itself.
- Cold-weather skills, technology and survival techniques.
- Ancient danger and dark secrets.
- Written by Matthew Clements, Carmen Bellaire, and Kevin Siembieda.
- 160 pages (tentative) – $22.99 retail – Cat. No. 898. Winter or spring release.
UPDATE: Rifts® Bestiary™, Volume Two – Winter release
Nothing new on this front, but we all want it to be released as quickly as possible. Looking at a winter release.
UPDATE: The Disavowed™, Living Nowhere™, Beyond the Supernatural™ sourcebooks, and other titles
These titles and several others are NOT forgotten and are in various stages of active production or waiting for production. As always, just because a book is not specifically listed in every Weekly Update, it does not mean it is discontinued or in limbo, it means there are more immediate things to talk about or there’s no substantive news to report. We are anxious to put as many of the books you’ve been waiting for into your hands as possible over the next 18 months. That includes Rifts® Disavowed™, Chaos Earth® First Responders™, Rifts® Antarctica, Rifts® CS Arsenal™, Rifts® Living Nowhere™, Beyond the Supernatural™ sourcebooks, more Fantasy sourcebooks and other titles. So if a book you are waiting for is not mentioned in an Update, it means there is nothing new to report, but it should still be in the pipeline and news for it will be coming in the weeks or months ahead. Right now, we are focused on releases for the next six months, which by our count is 6-7 titles. And many of them are in various stages of production or development.
New on DriveThruRPG.com: Annual Halloween Sale with 86 Palladium Horror titles on SALE – now through October 31
This sale carries you into realms of horror and is a great time to try new settings. Remember, all Palladium characters, monsters, villains and ideas can be easily ported from one setting to another. Sale ends October 31 and includes the following Palladium game lines:
- Beyond the Supernatural RPG, 2nd Ed.
- Dead Reign® RPG
- Nightbane® RPG
- Select Rifts® titles (Vampire Kingdoms, Africa, and others).
- Select Rifts® Dimension Books (Hades, Dyval, others).
- Select issues of The Rifter® and others.
86 Palladium titles in all, as well as scary fun by numerous other companies. Check out the DriveThruRPG Halloween Sale and scare up some fun.
Recent releases: Free Rifts® Bestiary™ Volume One Sneak Preview; The Rifter® #81: A big 112 page issue filled with “official” source material and Wolfen Vampire adventure for Palladium Fantasy RPG® (20+ NPCs), Gnomes of the Ophid’s Grasslands), Rifts® Chaos Earth® Nebraska Part 2, Heroes Unlimited™ (Super Sleuth), and more. Palladium Fantasy RPG® Interactive Character Sheet: A Microsoft Excel-based character management system. Packed with features and data collected from every official Palladium Fantasy sourcebook to enable you to create Fantasy characters quickly (25 minutes!) and help you to update and manage them for years to come. Rifts® Dimension Book™ 15: Secrets of the Atlanteans™ (True Atlanteans, their tribes, goals, and history, more about the Sunaj, new Magic Tattoos, new Shadow Magic™, new Shadow monsters, maps and descriptions of Atlantean Stone Pyramids, and more about the wicked Sunaj’s secret agenda. An awesome resource and fun read). The Rifter® #80: A big 112 page issue filled with “official” source material for Palladium Fantasy RPG®, Rifts®, Chaos Earth® (setting and monsters), Splicers® (desert setting), Heroes Unlimited™ (villains), and more. The Rifter® #79 (Rifts®, Palladium Fantasy®, Heroes Unlimited™, Gaming through History, G.M., and more), The Rifter® #78 (the Modern Necromancer, Palladium Fantasy®, Rifts®, Splicers®, more); Rifts® Heroes of Humanity™, the Coalition’s response to the escalating Minion War™ crisis, Psi-Battalion, CS Demon Hunter, special training and more).
Dead Reign® Paper Miniatures Volume Three: Zombies, Dead Reign® Paper Miniatures Volume Two: Civilians and Dead Reign® Paper Miniatures Volume One: Survivors. There are also paper miniatures for Heroes Unlimited™, Palladium Fantasy® and Rifts®. A new, up-to-date, PDF Palladium Books Catalog. Nightbane® Dark Designs™ sourcebook with 60 new Common Talents, 38 new Elite Talents, 18 new Morphus Tables, all other Morphus Tables collected and more. Systems Failure™ RPG, a 160 page RPG that deals with alien invasion and a post-apocalypse setting that is fun and dynamic. Civilization is on the verge of collapse when the so-called "bugs" invade and turn humans into zombie-like slaves. Monsters, heroes and fun. A complete RPG and setting. Rifts® World Book 34: Northern Gun™ Two: 256 pages of technology and fun. 30+ power armors, 30+ body armors, 15 combat vehicles, 45 vehicles (hovercycles, etc.), 10 robot haulers, the Robodome and more. Bizantium and the Northern Islands™: the northernmost part of the Known World, the Cold Born, Necromancy ships made from dead sea serpents, 15 creatures, Random Sea Monster Generator, and more. Rifts® Northern Gun™ One. This fan favorite might be thought of as the big book of giant robots – an in-depth look at Northern Gun, 70+ weapons, 27 robots, NG O.C.C.s, key people and places, and much more. Mysteries of Magic™ Book One: The Heart of Magic™ with Wizards, their Apprentices, nearly 60 new magic spells and remember, magic and monsters in the Fantasy RPG are easily adapted to Rifts®, Chaos Earth®, HU2 and other settings. Wolfen Empire™ Fantasy sourcebook, the Great Northern Wilderness and Killer Winters, 12 Wolfen Tribes, Wolfen military and society, 15+ creatures, 5 full adventures, 101 adventure ideas, random encounter tables, notable people, places, plus FREE Sneak Previews of The Rifter® #80, The Rifter® #81, The Rifter® #82, and more on DriveThruRPG.com.