cyborgs vs. other races

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: cyborgs vs. other races

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Ogrebane1 wrote:are cyborg bodies generaly lighter for smaller races like gnomes and heavier for giants as i believe they should be. if so what is the weight difference? thank-you

Small cyborgs are lighter than their larger models, but heavier than the races they represent. As for the actual weight difference, I don't know off-hand, and it will be hours before I can get home to check the books.

But I'd guess at an order of magnitude (x10) as a good range.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

~I don't believe that there are any race specific cyborgs, with almost all borgs having a human base. There are many different models, and you could always have a custom gnome borg that is the same size as the original race.
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Let's see, RUE says that Full Conversion Combat Cyborgs weigh 1000 lbs, on average, with smaller 'borgs weighing 20-30% less. I gather that the "smaller" cyborgs thus referenced are simply more petite, but still human-sized (such as non-combat 'borgs, Russian light machines, and some of the Japanese and Chinese combat 'borgs), rather than gnome-borgs, dwarf-borgs, flooper-borgs, and so forth.

That figure of 1000 lbs is something like 666.667% heavier than the average unaugmented human (based on the typical human weight range of 100-200 lbs., according to PF2, p. 289), so one may infer that cyborgs of smaller races should be commensurately lighter, assuming that they follow the same design philosophy. Thus, a gnome full conversion combat cyborg would weigh approximately 233 lbs. on average.

On the other hand, one might imagine that there is a point of diminishing returns, where it is simply not practical or not nearly as effective to make bionic body parts so small. These pint-sized cyborgs may instead have only conventional cybernetics, without great strength or armor enhancement, and with significantly reduced weight. By this logic, then, a gnome cyborg might not be significantly heavier than an unaugmented gnome.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the Rifts Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

:-o in a full conversion borg, the only original parts are the brain, maybe a few organs, so i'd say it doesn't matter what size the orignal race was, they can be whatever size they want. even a human could have himself installed in a 30 foot tall body if they wanted.

presumably there is a lower limit, IE: "big enough to fit the brain and possible other intact organs."
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”