Fencing Damage

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Fencing Damage

Unread post by rat_bastard »

kargenetic wrote:In the Fencing skill in RUE, it gives a +1d6 to damage. Does this apply to MDC swords? What about psi-swords and other "summoned" swords? Is there any canon on this?

common sense ruling is that its the result of skill, IE knowing where to hit and hitting the appropriate spot well. I assume it includes MDC and there has never been anything to disprove this point of view that I have heard of.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

rat_bastard wrote:
kargenetic wrote:In the Fencing skill in RUE, it gives a +1d6 to damage. Does this apply to MDC swords? What about psi-swords and other "summoned" swords? Is there any canon on this?

common sense ruling is that its the result of skill, IE knowing where to hit and hitting the appropriate spot well.

Yes.
But I don't believe that this means it should work for mega-damage.

I assume it includes MDC and there has never been anything to disprove this point of view that I have heard of.

I just saw something the other day in one of the books (I forget which one) that, IIRC, indicated or flat-out stated that it didn't work with MD weapons.

But I also believe that Splicers says something to the effect that it does work with MD weapons.

If I can remember what I saw to the contrary, and somebody can verify the Splicers ruling, then it appears that it does work with MD weapons (for now, at least).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

The melee combat FAQ said this.

"Question: Fencing in RUE: Does the +1d6 damage with swords and knives apply to just sdc weapons or both sdc and mdc(ie vibro weapons and psi-swords)?

Answer: According to RUE, page 326, it applies to both SDC and MDC."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

elecgraystone wrote:The melee combat FAQ said this.

"Question: Fencing in RUE: Does the +1d6 damage with swords and knives apply to just sdc weapons or both sdc and mdc(ie vibro weapons and psi-swords)?

What RUE says is:
"The damage listed for each ancient weapon is SDC/HP damage. However, high-tech or magical Mega-Damage equivalent weapons inflict the same number of damage dice only it is MD, not SDC (e.g. a sword that inflicts 2d6 damage does 2d6 Hit Point/SDC damage if an SDC weapon or 2d6 MD if a Mega-Damage weapon)."

Which is discussing weapon damage, not damage bonuses gained from skills (such as WPs and Fencing).
It's possible that the writers meant for that passage to describe damage bonuses as well, but the passage doesn't actually do that: it just describes straight weapon damage.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

elecgraystone
Adventurer

*shrug* I'm just pointing out what the FAQ on this site says.

I thought it did before I saw the FAQ myself. If it excluded adding the extra d6 from MDC damage, it should say so when it makes a point to say that swords can do either SDC or MDC damage. Since it didn't make the exclusion, I'd say it adds to both.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

elecgraystone wrote:*shrug* I'm just pointing out what the FAQ on this site says.

I thought it did before I saw the FAQ myself. If it excluded adding the extra d6 from MDC damage, it should say so when it makes a point to say that swords can do either SDC or MDC damage. Since it didn't make the exclusion, I'd say it adds to both.

By that same token, since it made no mention of damage bonuses being MDC, the passage is useless for this discussion.
All it tells us is that some melee weapons inflict MDC and some inflict SDC damage, which we all already know.

If you want evidence that the skill applies to MD attacks, go with the Splicers ruling.
As I said, until I come up with something newer that over-rides it, it's the best canon answer we have.

elecgraystone
Adventurer

*shrug* The passage seemed to be enough for whoever made the FAQ. I happen to agree with it. If you don't, feel free to ask it again in the Q&A section.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

elecgraystone wrote:*shrug* The passage seemed to be enough for whoever made the FAQ. I happen to agree with it. If you don't, feel free to ask it again in the Q&A section.

I already know the answer, at least more than the FAQ does.

The FAQ is written by popular opinion and moderator decision.
It's very often not helpful (not to mention wrong)

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I run it as being for both.
Then again, I still follow the old rule that SN strength critters add their punch damge to MD weapons...
Doesn't make sense to me otherwise.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

I could be way off on this but the bonus from fencing only applies to humanoids with close to human organs and such, it is the training to hit a critical spot on a human opponent so their would be no extra damage is a dragon or a demon it does not have the same weak spots. so with a MD weapon it would only apply to MDC humanoids like Undead slayers etc but would not work vs a rock person or lizard like humanoid.
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

elecgraystone wrote:The melee combat FAQ said this.

Hmm, I'm not sure that the info on page 326 of RUE actually applies to the Fencing skill...

However, the version of Fencing on page 196 of Splicers specifically states that the damage bonus is S.D.C. or M.D.C., according to the weapon. Whether this was omitted from the RUE version intentionally or not is unknown to me.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:However, the version of Fencing on page 196 of Splicers specifically states that the damage bonus is S.D.C. or M.D.C., according to the weapon. Whether this was omitted from the RUE version intentionally or not is unknown to me.

Well logically it makes sense that it would. Even if we were talking strictly in terms of SDC weapons, the skill doesn't make the blade any sharper or pierce any deeper. The skill simply allows the character to make more [i]efficient[i/] cuts & stabs with each attack. So if that's the case then the skill would enhance the wielder's ability and damage dealt with any sword or knife, be it SDC or Mega Damage.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Dead Boy wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:However, the version of Fencing on page 196 of Splicers specifically states that the damage bonus is S.D.C. or M.D.C., according to the weapon. Whether this was omitted from the RUE version intentionally or not is unknown to me.

Well logically it makes sense that it would. Even if we were talking strictly in terms of SDC weapons, the skill doesn't make the blade any sharper or pierce any deeper. The skill simply allows the character to make more [i]efficient[i/] cuts & stabs with each attack. So if that's the case then the skill would enhance the wielder's ability and damage dealt with any sword or knife, be it SDC or Mega Damage.

best description I have heard.
:ok:

Bottom line, ask your GM, repeat Dead Boy's case verbatim and accept your GM's Ruling.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Unless your GM rules otherwise, No, the fencing damage does not add to MD attacks because it only adds +1d6 sd to any attack.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
elecgraystone
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Unless your GM rules otherwise, No, the fencing damage does not add to MD attacks because it only adds +1d6 sd to any attack.
You must have a different RUE than mine. The one I have just says +d6 sword damage and doesn't exclude MD. Is that your opinion or do you have something in the RUE to back it up?
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

PhelanMahoney wrote:hmmm, if it applies to Psi-Swords I may consider taking it if I find a group to play my wolfen mind melter after he takes that power.

I think it might. You might want to check out the FAQ because I recall this coming up before.

Search Tip: Personally I just cut and paste the whole page onto a Word document and then use the "Find" feature to look for key words.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”