Maps?

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

There are a few maps in the RECON Modern Combat book, but I look up maps for different regions online.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I make my own maps usually since the areas are usually small enough to not really matter.

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?p=1524729#1524729 - lots of maps of Vietnam here.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

picard3392 wrote:so do you use miniatures rules?? (im playing Recon Nam') i made a local map on graph paper that shows all the main encounters. but i dont know if its gonna work so well. any hints on using minis would be appreciated too.

personall I've never really used miniatures for RECON.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

picard3392 wrote:so then do you just imagine the terrain? i just played my first mission today as MD with people who have never played before and i used graph paper (large) to draw out the known map. then we used plastic army men to simulate the soldiers. so if you use the region maps do you have the players say "ok im moving here" or "ok where is the enemy again"?

I try to give as much detail as possible. I describe how the rain is coming down (at what angle, how heavy or light, whether or not it's impairing vision, the sound of it hitting the vegitation, etc.), jungle sounds, curious or possibly suspicious sounds, glimmers or light when at night, etc.

I do see where miniatures or "plastic armymen" would help out a lot. :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I like to create my own maps. I tear apart video games and use their graphics to make my own maps. Most of my places are ficticous, but based on real areas. This is an unfinished map of road in South East Asia. I used Talonsoft's Rising Sun graphics.

http://i23.tinypic.com/2pt426t.jpg
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Peacebringer wrote:I like to create my own maps. I tear apart video games and use their graphics to make my own maps. Most of my places are ficticous, but based on real areas. This is an unfinished map of road in South East Asia. I used Talonsoft's Rising Sun graphics.

Calling in Snake 'n' Nape.

Sorry couldn't resist.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Is that the same thing as a daisy cutter?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Snake means snakeeyes - standard MK 81 iron bombs with drogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_81_bomb
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

So it was dropped in conjunction with napalm. Destroy and set on fire sort of thing?
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:
Peacebringer wrote:I like to create my own maps. I tear apart video games and use their graphics to make my own maps. Most of my places are ficticous, but based on real areas. This is an unfinished map of road in South East Asia. I used Talonsoft's Rising Sun graphics.

Calling in Snake 'n' Nape.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually, the enemy positions are further up on the ridge. They'll have a good fireworks display.

http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/27967/ ... 597_rs.jpg

The sand bags will have some sort of AA gun, like a ZSU-2-23.

The trenches are for the little zipperheads to jump into during air raids.

Still want to call in air support?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say some penny-nickel-nickel would be the way to start.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

mmm artillery.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Nice. I like the map a lot man. You have anymore for a tired old GM who writes just enough campaigns that his time for creating maps are extremely limited? :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

GreenGhost wrote:

Nice. I like the map a lot man. You have anymore for a tired old GM who writes just enough campaigns that his time for creating maps are extremely limited? :D

I'll see what I can do. I like making maps. The problem is that I rarely finish them. It's not because I get bored of them, just a really cooler idea for a map came to mind that makes the previous map useless.

Here's the partially completed map. I stopped making it because I realized the tree graphics had pines!!!

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/30721/ ... 670_rs.jpg

Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can do it.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Pine trees or not- it's a nice map. What do you use to make them?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

GreenGhost wrote:Pine trees or not- it's a nice map. What do you use to make them?

NBOS fractial mapper.

Any .bmp with a mono background can be used. I downloaded the Rising Sun demo and I can make great maps.

They take a long time though...
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Peacebringer wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:Pine trees or not- it's a nice map. What do you use to make them?

NBOS fractial mapper.

Any .bmp with a mono background can be used. I downloaded the Rising Sun demo and I can make great maps.

Ah- gotcha. Time... wish I had that- lol.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

GreenGhost wrote:
Peacebringer wrote:

NBOS fractial mapper.

So creating a quick map is not an option with this mapper? You can't just paint a forest with a single mouse stroke, for example?
Peacebringer
Adventurer

lather wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
Peacebringer wrote:

NBOS fractial mapper.

So creating a quick map is not an option with this mapper? You can't just paint a forest with a single mouse stroke, for example?

No. You have to select the symbol, then place it on the map. The good news is that it floats so you can move it. The bad news is that it remembers order so you have to work from the background down, like a painting. It wasn't designed to do that. It was designed to map fantasy maps where you had just a few symbols. The amount of symbols I use on a map like that bogs down the program and I have to save to bitmap, then start over. I wish I could find a substitute program, but it's the best I've found. I have a demo I downloaded in '99, v1.1. See if you can find it. The older version. I think the newer demo doesn't let you save and it auto-blurs the symbols.

As for the amount of time, it took me about five hours after I got home from work to make this 1600s european town...or maybe two nights...

http://aycu18.webshots.com/image/28577/ ... 608_rs.jpg

Video game editors are also great. Steel Panthers type games, which you can download for free, work too, though, they're not as good. Just take screenshots. If you're pressed for time.

And I found this on my hard drive.

It's a Southern French town in during The Great War. The germans invaded the town and set up their trench lines using the town's defenses. I designed it with each sides trench philosophy. The Germans spend a lot of effort in fortifying whereas the Allies didn't. The town's noman's land.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/31205/ ... 208_rs.jpg
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Very nice maps! :ok:

Too bad the air strike force is already inbound :)
GreenGhost
Adventurer

I especially like the Southern French Town. Very nice. What did that map program cost you?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

GreenGhost wrote:I especially like the Southern French Town. Very nice. What did that map program cost you?

Other than time, free.

It was a demo. I'd like to buy a better version of it, but I don't think they'll make it to my needs.

I can email it if you want. It's time consuming though.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Peacebringer wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:I especially like the Southern French Town. Very nice. What did that map program cost you?

Other than time, free.

It was a demo. I'd like to buy a better version of it, but I don't think they'll make it to my needs.

I can email it if you want. It's time consuming though.

That would be cool! :-D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Re:

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Peacebringer wrote:
lather wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
Peacebringer wrote:

NBOS fractial mapper.

No. You have to select the symbol, then place it on the map. The good news is that it floats so you can move it. The bad news is that it remembers order so you have to work from the background down, like a painting. It wasn't designed to do that. It was designed to map fantasy maps where you had just a few symbols. The amount of symbols I use on a map like that bogs down the program and I have to save to bitmap, then start over. I wish I could find a substitute program, but it's the best I've found. I have a demo I downloaded in '99, v1.1. See if you can find it. The older version. I think the newer demo doesn't let you save and it auto-blurs the symbols.

As for the amount of time, it took me about five hours after I got home from work to make this 1600s european town...or maybe two nights...

http://aycu18.webshots.com/image/28577/ ... 608_rs.jpg

Video game editors are also great. Steel Panthers type games, which you can download for free, work too, though, they're not as good. Just take screenshots. If you're pressed for time.

And I found this on my hard drive.

It's a Southern French town in during The Great War. The germans invaded the town and set up their trench lines using the town's defenses. I designed it with each sides trench philosophy. The Germans spend a lot of effort in fortifying whereas the Allies didn't. The town's noman's land.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/31205/ ... 208_rs.jpg

Bad links!!

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”