Why so much crew...?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Why so much crew...?

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Why is it that the vehicles in Rifts, which are supposed to be so high-tech, require more crew than modern-day counter-parts? For instance, a pilot can fly the machine, operate sensors, and use commo and with most modern helicopters can also use the weopon systems. The co-pilot/ gunner can operate sensors, fly the machine, operate weapons systems, and use commo. So why do some choppers in Rifts need crews of 3-4? Why not just a crew of 1? Same for 'bots. Why do most Rifts 'bots need crews of more than 1?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Vinny
Adventurer

Re: Why so much crew...?

Unread post by Vinny »

Vrykolas2k wrote:Why is it that the vehicles in Rifts, which are supposed to be so high-tech, require more crew than modern-day counter-parts? For instance, a pilot can fly the machine, operate sensors, and use commo and with most modern helicopters can also use the weopon systems. The co-pilot/ gunner can operate sensors, fly the machine, operate weapons systems, and use commo. So why do some choppers in Rifts need crews of 3-4? Why not just a crew of 1? Same for 'bots. Why do most Rifts 'bots need crews of more than 1?

Blackhawk helicopters require at least 2 people to fly the thing.
The Phoenix is Coming!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

someone has to operate the cappuccino machine and you know damn sure its not going to be the officer.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Because the other players don't want to be cargo.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Spinachcat wrote:Because the other players don't want to be cargo.

that and...

a pilot can perform 5 manuevers, a gunner can shoot 5 times, weapons officer/sensor operator can spot 5 targets AT the same time. More actions and effecticve fighting resaults.

say how much training would a crew need? any Initavie modifiers? say the crew rolls individually and the average taken from the total or what?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Rimmerdal wrote:

that and...

a pilot can perform 5 manuevers, a gunner can shoot 5 times, weapons officer/sensor operator can spot 5 targets AT the same time. More actions and effecticve fighting resaults.

say how much training would a crew need? any Initavie modifiers? say the crew rolls individually and the average taken from the total or what?

Depends. I could see the gunner and the pilot having different initiative totals, but having to be somewhat reliant on each other. "You can't shoot the main gun until the pilot turns around."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Phalanx wrote:Because the Coalition has to do something with all those illiterate grunts who are trained to point and shoot. :D

:ok: :lol:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:

that and...

Depends. I could see the gunner and the pilot having different initiative totals, but having to be somewhat reliant on each other. "You can't shoot the main gun until the pilot turns around."

that's why asked about the group intative idea. would a crew be trained to act as one? Modern tank crews act on orders from the commander. so wouldn't the Commander ordering use his intiative for the whole crew?
taalismn wrote:

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Rimmerdal wrote:that's why asked about the group intative idea. would a crew be trained to act as one? Modern tank crews act on orders from the commander. so wouldn't the Commander ordering use his intiative for the whole crew?

Or, you could say they were holding their actions until given orders.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Rimmerdal
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:that's why asked about the group intative idea. would a crew be trained to act as one? Modern tank crews act on orders from the commander. so wouldn't the Commander ordering use his intiative for the whole crew?

Or, you could say they were holding their actions until given orders.

same idea. just hope you CO gets a good roll...
taalismn wrote:

T-Willard
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: A soldier is more than his equipment.

Unread post by T-Willard »

Lack of training and education.

Modern day militaries have extensive training facilities, time for the real world hands on, and the hardware for the training.

Rifts Earth, there aren't these facilities, unless you're part of the CS, or a Native American Preserve, or part of Tolkeen.

Even then, rather than rely on extensive computer support (which is why modern bombers need less people than the old Superfortress), it's cheaper and easier to train additional people. Plus, those people are probably crosstrained in other positions.

From a low resources point of view, it makes total sense.
"The Tolkeen War was a disaster. Yes, we achieved victory, but we exposed grievous errors in our training doctrine and unit METL's. We must seek to address these issues, we must rethink what we know or this nation will perish from the Earth. Should we not learn from the hard lessons of the Tolkeen War, our bones shall be ground to dust."-Ross Underhill

Return to “Rifts®”