What does Class IV armor look like?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sentinel
Palladin

Re: What does Class IV armor look like?

Unread post by Sentinel »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Since I can't find an image of Class 4 armor, and it seems to be the best and probably a non-existent fantasy armor I assume it looks like the Batman body armor...or the outfits worn by the x-men.
Or...it could look sort of like Stormtrooper or Boba Fett armor I guess...somewhat like the SCRET armor in VU.
Anybody got any clarification on this? What is it supposed to look like? Is it based off something real? How do you play its appearance?

Wayne Breaux mentioned what he envisioned them to be like in his Q&A section.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Well I always thought that they would look like wha tyou said storm trooper armor or now I really like the armor from Aeon Flux that was pretty cool. Pretty much any full body armor that would be considered environmental in Rifts

My question how heavy duty are the capes in HU to have an AR and that much SDC?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I always took Class 4 as "Hard" armor similar to riot armor.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

gadrin wrote:where'd you get the "Class 4" from ?
Main book equipment list, the last "Modern Armor", IIRC
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Riot armor isn't class 4 in my opinion. Riot armor is patchy thigh covering shin covering vest, shield and helmet. Not quite what I had pictured
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

If you've ever played the Punisher game on console or PC, some of the Yakuza are wearing what could probably be described as class 4 hard armor. The Yakuza wearing the full plated/paded green suits and the ones wearing the higher-tech white armor could probably both be described as Class 4 Hard. I'll try to find a pic or two.

This Stark Industries Security Guard is probably wearing "high-tech" Class 4, while the guy on the table is wearing "low-tech" class 4.

But anyway, the "low tech" stuff probably looks more like a bomb disposal suit with heavy padding and plating covering most of the body, while the high-tech stuff looks like the Batman's suit in Batman Begins.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

I always pictured class 4 armor like the real NATO or US army protective vest with ceramic and/or steel plates. These plates are placed in pockets so to speak. The actual NATO vest has a ceramic plate in the chest that can withstand multiple combat strikes of 7.62x51mm (.308 win.).
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

On page 44 of Villains Unlimited (at least in the original printing), a typical S.C.R.E.T. agent is listed as having Class 4 armor (or a hard armor vest).

Given that the illustration of the S.C.R.E.T. agent on the preceeding page is wearing full body armor and not just a vest, I'm guessing that you're looking at Class 4 armor right there.

The illustration of the Aggressor on page 129 might also be a good representation, but according to his writeup his armor is just a notch below Class 4 in terms of AR and SDC so I guess it's not.

If you're looking for just 'generic' body styles, I don't know that I wouldn't look to Rifts for inspiration. Just about any medium to heavy non-powered body armor could theoretically be used to represent Class 4 armor.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

I don't have my N&SS book handy right now, but I believe that N&SS has a description (if not an illustration) of Class IV armour.

Again though, Wayne posted his take on it in the Questions to Wayne topic.
Last edited by Sentinel on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Does the Compendium of Modern Weapons have an illustration? I know they have a armor in the beginning of the book. I don't have the book here to look at. Asuming its based on real armor. (not that it needs to be)
Sentinel
Palladin

gadrin wrote:it sounds like any of the hard armors from Rifts could fill the bill, at least in terms of picturing it.

it doesn't mention covering the legs, so you could "half-suit" it.

x-men wore hard armor ? must be the old comics.

The X-Mens' classic look got body armour added to it during Jim Lees' first run on Uncanny X-Men, during some of the Shadow King sub-plot (before Claremont got his scattered sub-plots back together).
Forge, Moira, Banshee, Sunder, Lorna Dane, and some others had the protection incorporated into their yellow and blue suits.

The "other" X-Men however (Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, etc: the ones not on Muir Island) did not have this feature at first.
Gambit came into the team wearing his distinctive armour, although he briefly wore an X-suit under his trench coat.

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I used riot armor as an example. Full motorcycle style helmet, slightly bulky chest protection, shin guards, forearm guards, thigh pads, elbow pads, knee pads, high combat boots, with lighter protection everywhere else.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Doesn't the book (a book?) say that all "full" suits of armor have helmets? I kind of pictured them like a storm trooper or a Halo guy (although made from different materials [ceramics/metal], i'd say the troopers have "plastic plate" and having never played Halo, i can only go by what the suits look like, not what they do [if anything]).
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Uncle Servo wrote:The illustration of the Aggressor on page 129 might also be a good representation, but according to his writeup his armor is just a notch below Class 4 in terms of AR and SDC so I guess it's not.
Actually it's better than Class 4 - remember it's a Robot AR and SDC - shots under the AR do no damage at all.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Cardiac wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:The illustration of the Aggressor on page 129 might also be a good representation, but according to his writeup his armor is just a notch below Class 4 in terms of AR and SDC so I guess it's not.
Actually it's better than Class 4 - remember it's a Robot AR and SDC - shots under the AR do no damage at all.

Were does it say that? Is it in the revised addition? I have the original VU, and couldn't find it. If its in Revised VU, does the book have a lot of changes in it, and is it worth purchasing?
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Cardiac wrote:

Are you referring to your updated version at the top of the forum? It's been a while since I looked at him.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Uncle Servo wrote:
Cardiac wrote:

Are you referring to your updated version at the top of the forum? It's been a while since I looked at him.
Well, he is wearing power armor - and power armor falls under the Robot AR rules.

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Cardiac wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:
Cardiac wrote:

Well, he is wearing power armor - and power armor falls under the Robot AR rules.

In my version of VU it only refers to his armor as modified full environmental body armor. It doesn't mention power armor at all.

S.H.O.C.K. armor is environmental hard armor, it is a good example of hard armor (though it is very stylized).

In the HU2 GM's Guide in the adventures section, in the adventure featuring the super-villain Shock and the giant robot, their are two hardware characters who wear hard armors. You might want to checkout their picture.
acreRake
Hero

In general: A suit of armor that covers your entire body made from "space age materials" (ceramics/acrylic/titanium/etc?).

What it looks like specifically: Depends on who makes it.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Class 4 is not a specific style of armor. It's a rating of the level of ballistic protection offered by armor plating as defined by the National Institute of Justice. The actual appearance of armor employing such material will vary, but I believe the generic suit listed in the book is supposed to be heavy-duty tactical armor of the style used by police and military forces.

Just for reference, a comparison table may be viewed here: http://www.ballistics.com.au/technical/ ... ndards.php

NIJ compliance standards are defined in this report: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bvpbasi/docs/0101_04.pdf
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
acreRake
Hero

Very cool TD. Thanks. Now i can tell my players: "Well, it must be Class 3-A Hard Armor."

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”