Ultimate Rifts is in my hands...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jesterzzn
Champion

Ultimate Rifts is in my hands...

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

:D Hurray!

Okay a couple initial comments after my first skim through...

1. The organization is definitely different. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

2. Some of my favorite artwork is gone. :( The new artwork looks very good. :)

3. Supernatural Creatures with supernatural strength get the carry bonus, not just supernatural creatures. One of KCs favorite technicalities. :D

More later...
:fool:
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Dammit!!!

Not in my Store yet, and I'm too impatient to get it over the 'Net....

:frust:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

cornholioprime wrote:Dammit!!!

I ordered my copy of the Gold months ago from the net but I will also purchase the "regular" locally (if you call a 50 minute drive locally :-? ).

I DO have a gaming store here in town but the dipsh!+ who runs it is a total wanker and I would rather support the friendly geek who runs the one in the town I went to college in. The dipsh!+ here in town didn't even know of UR and had no plans to order any copies any time soon...did I say he's a wanker?....just want to make sure you know he's a wanker.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I figured I'd get mine faster by picking it up at Gen Con. Things seem to take forever getting here to Big D.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

I'm hoping that mine will show up today when I get back from work. It wasn't there yesterday afternoon. :-?
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

I got mine just a few minutes ago, #107. Obviously, I haven't had much time to look it over, but the changes I've seen are interesting. I was hoping they'd make the PPE channeling rules from Rifts #21 official though.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Just curious as to when you ordered your copies of the gold #107 and #112?

I have yet to receive mine and I placed the order 04/28/2005 10:36:03 CDT according to my email conformation.

Wonder what my number might be :?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Benito Pulatso
Explorer

I ordered mine the week it was announced, I think, whenever that was.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Benito Pulatso wrote:I ordered mine the week it was announced, I think, whenever that was.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of people that ordered it did it that first week so that doesn't really help too much
Look at your E-mail confirmation for the date time stamp like I bolded :-D

Benito Pulatso
Explorer

I'll hafta wait til I get home, that's where my confirmation e-mail is.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Thinyser wrote:

I ordered my copy of the Gold months ago from the net but I will also purchase the "regular" locally (if you call a 50 minute drive locally :-? ).

I DO have a gaming store here in town but the dipsh!+ who runs it is a total wanker and I would rather support the friendly geek who runs the one in the town I went to college in. The dipsh!+ here in town didn't even know of UR and had no plans to order any copies any time soon...did I say he's a wanker?....just want to make sure you know he's a wanker.

Sounds like this guy is a total wanker. Maybe that's just me...

:D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Benito Pulatso wrote:I'll hafta wait til I get home, that's where my confirmation e-mail is.

Ah Thankee

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Danger wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Sounds like this guy is a total wanker. Maybe that's just me...

:D

:lol: Ya know I just can't help but think your not the only one :lol:

Dave2

Damage

Unread post by Dave2 »

8-) Anything added concerning damage like the pain rules and bleeding rules from the GMG? Hit locations for living targets? Dave2

Had this in earlier post but no one had the book yet.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Thinyser wrote:

Sounds like an idiot as well as a wanker.

"Hmm, you say it's a gaming book and people will want to buy it from me, thus making me money?" :-? *Shakes head* "No sir, can't see how stocking books people want and selling them will make my gaming store a success, I'll stick with being rude and clueless."
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Kalinda wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Sounds like an idiot as well as a wanker.

"Hmm, you say it's a gaming book and people will want to buy it from me, thus making me money?" :-? *Shakes head* "No sir, can't see how stocking books people want and selling them will make my gaming store a success, I'll stick with being rude and clueless."

Holy**** do you KNOW him too? cuz that is just about exactly what he acts like.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

For those of you that have the Gold Edition see my other post UR Book Numbers:Keep Palladium Honest and post your time/date stamp and the book number so we can see if Palladium is going in the order the orders were placed....it will also let those of us that have not received our copy estimate our place in the list.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Jason Richards wrote:I figured I'd get mine faster by picking it up at Gen Con. Things seem to take forever getting here to Big D.

I'll be at GC on Saturday. :) Of course, I'm not in...Detroit? Anyway, I'm local to the show...can't wait.

Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Okay, I spent about three hours with it last night missing more sleep than I probably should have. Let me say that character creation and OCC/RCC descriptions are much improved. Very clearly written and expanded with more detailed information on why some things are the way they are. Some of the things that really struck me

# Below average stats have penalties
    # Dragon Hatchlings are less ambiguous, and more strictly defined creation wise.
    # Techno wizard device creation is more free form
    # Fewer skills per class, but each class has more unique abilities
    # All game rules are in, more or less, one section.

One thing that really bothered me was the 2 page (thats right TWO full pages) full color add for the Rifts Video Game. Three years from now that game is just going to be a memory, but in our "collectors edition" we will always be reminded that two pieces of artwork (or one two page spread) were left out so that it could be included. I think thats very bad form.

Its really my only complaint about the book thus far, though. I will try and read the whole thing cover to cover by the weekend so I can post a much more detailed review. Great job Palladium, this is a winner. :ok:
Jesterzzn
Champion

I read up on the Techno Wzards, and I think I have a much better vision of the class in my mind. I like the change to their spell casting, where they have to have a mechanical 'fetish' to focus their spell magic through. Also (although this may be old news) having the double ppe is isp activation cost in print is nice. I know there were some here that still liked to argue that if an ISP cost was not listed it didn't exist. Well, NO MORE! :P

Re: Damage

Unread post by Guest »

The Sovereign wrote:
Dave2 wrote:8-) Anything added concerning damage like the pain rules and bleeding rules from the GMG? Hit locations for living targets? Dave2

Hit locations for living targets are pretty much in every Palladium book ever printed. Under "Optional Damage Rules" they have injuries like damaged leg, hand, etc. If you want a way to randomly decide what part gets hit, you use the main body unless someone makes a called shot.

He makes a devastating point.

So, Jester, I take it the Elemental Fusionist is just a ridiculously named Warlock?
Jesterzzn
Champion

Re: Damage

Edge wrote:
The Sovereign wrote:
Dave2 wrote:8-) Anything added concerning damage like the pain rules and bleeding rules from the GMG? Hit locations for living targets? Dave2

Hit locations for living targets are pretty much in every Palladium book ever printed. Under "Optional Damage Rules" they have injuries like damaged leg, hand, etc. If you want a way to randomly decide what part gets hit, you use the main body unless someone makes a called shot.

He makes a devastating point.

So, Jester, I take it the Elemental Fusionist is just a ridiculously named Warlock?
Well, not entirely. More like a Warlock with elemental super powers and fewer spells. Not really sure about them yet. Might be cool, but seems kinda out of place.

Unread post by Guest »

So wait...they don't completely replace the Warlock?

Elemental Super Powers as in, Heroes Unlimited Super Powers?

That is kinda cool actually, and makes the Fusionist part make some sense.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Edge wrote:So wait...they don't completely replace the Warlock?

Elemental Super Powers as in, Heroes Unlimited Super Powers?

That is kinda cool actually, and makes the Fusionist part make some sense.
Kinda like Heroes Powers but very limited in scope. The player picks his elements either Fire/Water or Earth/Air and then gets to select from the appropriate list of powers. I think 5 at level one and then some more later. There are about ten for each elemental pairing for about 20 powers total. Some of them look to be quite formidable. They all require PPE, but it is a very low amount for the amount of power the abilities have. As an example: One (1) PPE to spit a 1D4MD(or 2D4 SD if you want) fire ball up to three feet. Pretty nifty.
Last edited by Jesterzzn on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Probably the best thing about this book so far, is that it has so much new information about old arguments that it has me wanting to restart them all at once. I can't decide which tired played out argument to restart next. This should provide months of argument material for these boards as we rehash old feuds with new and updated material. Keep in mind that this does not even take into account all the new arguments and feuds that will no doubt spring up. Yes, its a good day. :D

Unread post by Guest »

I must say.

This is getting more and more tempting for me to pick up a copy of UR.

I have completely given up on Rifts, but I loved the Main Book by itself...
Rabidredneck
D-Bee

Unread post by Rabidredneck »

[quote="Edge"]I must say.

quote]

Give in...do not resist...you WILL buy it...sooner...or..later... :D
That which does not kill me...is DEAD when I'm through with it!

Unread post by Guest »

Rabidredneck wrote:
Edge wrote:I must say.

Give in...do not resist...you WILL buy it...sooner...or..later... :D

Well, I only play PFRPG anymore.

So it isn't that hard, I think it says alot that I'm even considering picking up an M.D.C. book at all.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Even though I'm running a Phase World campaign right now, this revision doesn't offer enough to warrant an immediate buy. In my game, I've already implemented the improved combat mechanics from Splicers, I don't use two attacks for living (thus making the magic revision unimportant), and I'm satisfied with continuing to house rule perception. All that leaves is, on one hand, the joy that comes from getting a shiny new hard cover book, and, on the other, the utter disappointment of the loss of Larry MacDougall's artwork.

Perhaps if I see RUE offered at a healthy discount through Lon's Lair or FRP Games, I'll pick it up. Otherwise, given all of the other games I'm wanting to get a copy of (the Tunnels & Trolls 7.0 tin and Burning Wheel Revised being at the top of that list) and the books I've just picked up (Monsters & Treasures for Castles & Crusades and [finally] Cartoon Action Hour), I think it can wait until the Christmas Grab Bag. :P
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Thinyser wrote:I DO have a gaming store here in town but the dipsh!+ who runs it is a total wanker and I would rather support the friendly geek who runs the one in the town I went to college in. The dipsh!+ here in town didn't even know of UR and had no plans to order any copies any time soon...did I say he's a wanker?....just want to make sure you know he's a wanker.

I know the feeling. The one store that is even close to me in Towson that used to carry Rifts stuff refuses to carry anything new. The owner then has the nerve to act snotty whenever I ask him if he's gotten anything in newer than Rifter 18. I stopped even walking into the store soon after that. There's a reason I consider Maryland the blackhole of RPGing.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Jesterzzn
Champion

maasenstodt wrote:Even though I'm running a Phase World campaign right now, this revision doesn't offer enough to warrant an immediate buy. In my game, I've already implemented the improved combat mechanics from Splicers, I don't use two attacks for living (thus making the magic revision unimportant), and I'm satisfied with continuing to house rule perception. All that leaves is, on one hand, the joy that comes from getting a shiny new hard cover book, and, on the other, the utter disappointment of the loss of Larry MacDougall's artwork.

Perhaps if I see RUE offered at a healthy discount through Lon's Lair or FRP Games, I'll pick it up. Otherwise, given all of the other games I'm wanting to get a copy of (the Tunnels & Trolls 7.0 tin and Burning Wheel Revised being at the top of that list) and the books I've just picked up (Monsters & Treasures for Castles & Crusades and [finally] Cartoon Action Hour), I think it can wait until the Christmas Grab Bag. :P
Unless you were breaking in new players I don't think owning this book is a must at all. I enjoy reading it, and commenting here on the changes, but as a gaming book I will probably stick to regular Rifts. Many of the new OCC abilities are neat, and some of the changes are very much needed, but the vast majority of the books new material is fluff, and not required for gaming. But hey, I like fluff.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Jesterzzn wrote:Unless you were breaking in new players I don't think owning this book is a must at all. I enjoy reading it, and commenting here on the changes, but as a gaming book I will probably stick to regular Rifts. Many of the new OCC abilities are neat, and some of the changes are very much needed, but the vast majority of the books new material is fluff, and not required for gaming. But hey, I like fluff.

Much of that goes without saying. My underlying point was simply that I was really hoping that RUE would merit being a must buy. From my impressions to date, it is not.

Fluff, as you say, can be great, but if that's what I'm after, in recent years there are more thoughtful, imaginative authors to get that from than Kevin Siembieda (even within Palladium, for that matter). :P
Dave2

Optional Damage

Unread post by Dave2 »

8-) Thanks for the info. Actually the optional damage rules referred to are not in every book. They are in Rifts old ed, Heroes Unlimited and Palladium fantasy. They are not in any of the new books like splicers. The only thing in splicers was point blank damage to head for sdc creature dealt half damage to hit points direct regardless of sdc left. That was it. No tables. The GMG had similar rule fro sdc and mdc creatures just wondering something like that in ultimate rifts. Dave2
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

I am reporting receipt of my copy today.

What I like so far:
  • The Art: I like all the artwork I have seen throughout the book (except for the Crazies . . . but you knew I was going to say that last part, didn't you).
  • Text Layout: Feels very crisp and clean, definitely superior looking to previous Rifts books, although it is very much in the same style; I just feel that style has improved a bit.
  • Hardback: Rock! :ok:
  • Paper Smell: It has an excellent deep paper smell. To me, that's very important.
  • Binding: The binding looks really great, and when I open my book and lay it flat, the binding seems unmoved.

More, undoubtedly, later.

No, I haven't had a chance to read over it in large scale yet, so content commentary must wait.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Jesterzzn
Champion

RainOfSteel wrote:I am reporting receipt of my copy today.

What I like so far:
  • The Art: I like all the artwork I have seen throughout the book (except for the Crazies . . . but you knew I was going to say that last part, didn't you).
  • Text Layout: Feels very crisp and clean, definitely superior looking to previous Rifts books, although it is very much in the same style; I just feel that style has improved a bit.
  • Paper Smell: It has an excellent deep paper smell. To me, that's very important.
  • Binding: The binding looks really great, and when I open my book and lay it flat, the binding seems unmoved.

No, I haven't had a chance to read over it in large scale yet, so content commentary must wait.
Yes, the binding is better than many high dollar Bibles that I own, very high quality production. And I didn't like the crazies artwork for a different reason...They changed it. I loved the old crazy artwork. As far as the layout goes, I am one of those, apparently like you, that feels it is perfect the way that it is. The simple two column format works for me.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Jesterzzn wrote:Yes, the binding is better than many high dollar Bibles that I own, very high quality production. And I didn't like the crazies artwork for a different reason...They changed it. I loved the old crazy artwork. As far as the layout goes, I am one of those, apparently like you, that feels it is perfect the way that it is. The simple two column format works for me.

Thank god about the binding. The last thing we needed was another Gurps 4th edition first print run.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

RainOfSteel wrote:I am reporting receipt of my copy today.

What I like so far:

Just got mine today and I agree on all points, so far so good...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Sureshot wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:Yes, the binding is better than many high dollar Bibles that I own, very high quality production. And I didn't like the crazies artwork for a different reason...They changed it. I loved the old crazy artwork. As far as the layout goes, I am one of those, apparently like you, that feels it is perfect the way that it is. The simple two column format works for me.

Thank god about the binding. The last thing we needed was another Gurps 4th edition first print run.

The last thing we need is another GURPS 4th edition, period. :ugh:

The pages weren't falling out, they were running away in shame...
60 DaDa points.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I got it. I like the orginzation alot better..

All the CS stuff in on spot and all the OCC's and RCC's a little better sorted. Also the equipment section is more to my liking.

The GB armour is where it should be...with Glitterboy..

All in all a solid B with a pending 'A' after I read it.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “Rifts®”