Merc Ops is out and about

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Merc Ops is out and about

Unread post by Preacher »

Mine was here when I got home from work. Cover is cool. Gonna go read.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

So far the TW Vampire Sniper Rifle the Top Ten Most wanted(Brilliant) and the GAW Improved vehicles are whats jumped out so far. Very Nice.

The A-10 Inspired by Owen Johnson from The Rifter is in there although not nearly as beefed up as the one in the Rifter.

Personal Fave of old Vehicles is the Blackhawk. Of course that is because I was Army. :)

The Merc Ops Brokers and ideas are pretty cool. Has decent amount of non weapon tech as well like communications and Surveillance equipment.

Not bad so far even with a few reused pieces of art and some reprint of some Wilkes stuff. Even though there is a tad of reprint they have a Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon that does 3D4x10 on a three pulse blast.

NG Skybunker and Dragonfly is cool as heck too.

Not too bad so far from my brief skimming. Of course I love Merc oriented stuff.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Sounds good. Wonder when it'll be in stores?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Preacher
Hero

It usually hits store shelves about two weeks after shipping which was last Friday 5-27.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Preacher wrote:The A-10 Inspired by Owen Johnson from The Rifter is in there although not nearly as beefed up as the one in the Rifter.

Personal Fave of old Vehicles is the Blackhawk. Of course that is because I was Army. :)

What is up with all the conversions of things that were outdated 100 years before the coming of the rifts? :rolleyes:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
Preacher wrote:The A-10 Inspired by Owen Johnson from The Rifter is in there although not nearly as beefed up as the one in the Rifter.

What is up with all the conversions of things that were outdated 100 years before the coming of the rifts? :rolleyes:

People like the familiar, is the easiest answer.

It's the same reaosn the 80's had lot's Nazi bashing games...it's something we all have in common.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Preacher
Hero

gadrin wrote:
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:What is up with all the conversions of things that were outdated 100 years before the coming of the rifts? :rolleyes:

actually it kinda fits half the worldbooks out there, like England and New West:

even though the world has radically changed, all these dee-bees who've rifted in from somewhere else, want to throw down roots and imitate long lost mythologies of things they're not familiar with.

I just assumed it was because most of the Pre Rifts advanced tech from the Golden Age was destroyed during and or shortly after the Rifts hit and all that was really left was the out of date mothballed stuff from Early 21st.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Preacher wrote:I just assumed it was because most of the Pre Rifts advanced tech from the Golden Age was destroyed during and or shortly after the Rifts hit and all that was really left was the out of date mothballed stuff from Early 21st.

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it that way...
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Plus it saves from designing new high tec stuff that better than what they are using in rifts now. :D
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Speaking as a soldier in an armored CAV unit, let me tell you, if there is one aircraft tankers fear, its the A-10 :)

That is one bad @$$ plane! It's essentially a flying tank, more armored then any other aircraft and packing some impressive firepower. I still cant believe that the pentagon wanted to scrap them prior to desert storm. Idiots... :x :badbad:

Cant wait to see what one looks like for Rifts. 8-)
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I still love the M48 in Rifts. I can see having "older" designs being built by Golden Age due to technical issues. For example a conventional jet fuel powered plane instead of a fusion powered one. Things like that. On the other hand they would be building the best of that lower tech, not designs that are being replaced in our current time. So seeing the replacement for the JSF or Raptor would be more appropriate. The problem from Palladiums standpoint is they would have to guess at technology, and as has already been said it wouldn't be familar. If it was up to me there would be some sort of bridge between the F-14s the CS reused in their carriers and the Grey Falcon which I see as the secondline fighter when the rifts came.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Got mine.

I liked the wanted section, tres cool.

I also liked that the author remembered that Chipwell and GAW produce lower quality systems.

The Titan rewrites were interesting, I want to sit and compare them with the stuff that apepared in the Rifter though before I decide which to use (probably all of the above).
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Preacher
Hero

Preacher wrote:

Even though there is a tad of reprint they have a Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon that does 3D4x10 on a three pulse blast.

The Wilkes stuff is original. The art is similar but they are different stuff. I went and actually compared them to New West and they are not the same. I was a doofus. Sorry about that. :oops:
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Nostalgia. :D
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Preacher wrote:
Preacher wrote:

Even though there is a tad of reprint they have a Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon that does 3D4x10 on a three pulse blast.

The Wilkes stuff is original. The art is similar but they are different stuff. I went and actually compared them to New West and they are not the same. I was a doofus. Sorry about that. :oops:

Good to see that they're sticking with similar designs as they provide new art. Gives a sense that the artist knows and acknowledges the previous art while still giving us new pics. Thumbs up for both. :ok:
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

RockJock wrote:If it was up to me there would be some sort of bridge between the F-14s the CS reused in their carriers and the Grey Falcon which I see as the secondline fighter when the rifts came.

At the end of Merc's there's a CS fighter that fits the bill. To bad it was never included in later publications.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Preacher
Hero

That's interesting. There is a few new NG armors. One in particular is the Stalker. Kinda like the clothing armor from NGR. It is for covert ops. Only has 12 MDC but can be worn under regular armor. Kind of like MDC spandex. :lol:
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Naruni Wave II, MercTown and MercOps are essentially the sequels to Mercenaties.

MercTown is more or less setting and adventure ideas, while Naruni and MercOps are good Sears catalogues of weapons, armour, vehicles and othere goodies. All they are missing is the lingere section.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Jefffar wrote:...Sears catalogues of weapons, armour, vehicles and othere goodies. All they are missing is the lingere section.

If your merc needs lingerie, he is taking the wrong missions.

Or, are they the right missions… :?
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Who said the lingere section was for the mercs? :D

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Preacher wrote:I just assumed it was because most of the Pre Rifts advanced tech from the Golden Age was destroyed during and or shortly after the Rifts hit and all that was really left was the out of date mothballed stuff from Early 21st.

I wouldn't really call 100 year old equipment mothballed, museum pieces more likely.

In the Canadian military maybe. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Naw, we usually draw the line after 60 years or so. 80 years if its' a particularly bad system that the soldiers don't like.

Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Dr. Doom v.3.0.1 wrote:

I wouldn't really call 100 year old equipment mothballed, museum pieces more likely.

Nah, the people infamous for never throwing anything away are the Russians. Now there are people that personify the pac rat mentality. They still have WWII artillery pieces sitting around in armories, just in case they might need them someday.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Preacher
Hero

One of my favorite so far is the Chipwell anti-vampire armor.

Sad news the Chipwell Assault suit from Mercenaries book one has been discontinued from Production. :P
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I liked all the new G.A.W. weapons, armor and the retro-fitted Pre-Rifts vehicles (Apache and Warthog being my fav's)

There is even a slight mention of "The Republicans" in the description of one of Titant Robotics/ARCHIE's new robot vehicle descriptions.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Also the art is fantastic. I liked the image holders used in the "Top Ten" bounties section.

Also the entire book is not one big catalogue of toys. There is a good section dedicated to game material, adventure ideas, etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Wasn't home for the guy from UPS so will have to wait till Monday to get my copy.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Preacher
Hero

The Deific NMI wrote:I liked all the new G.A.W. weapons, armor and the retro-fitted Pre-Rifts vehicles (Apache and Warthog being my fav's)

There is even a slight mention of "The Republicans" in the description of one of Titant Robotics/ARCHIE's new robot vehicle descriptions.

You notice the Miniature Fusion Power Plant? The e-clip recharger that we have all been clamoring for for years!!! Pg. 113
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Preacher wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:I liked all the new G.A.W. weapons, armor and the retro-fitted Pre-Rifts vehicles (Apache and Warthog being my fav's)

You notice the Miniature Fusion Power Plant? The e-clip recharger that we have all been clamoring for for years!!! Pg. 113
Yup!
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Wow, something to recharge e-clips? Definately, agree that its about time. Should I ever run Rifts again, I won't have to worry about PC's scrounging through dead bodies for ammunition.

Now all I have to do is get a copy...
Shades of Eternity
Immortal
Location: formerly edmonton, now residing in my own Delusions.

Unread post by Shades of Eternity »

Finally picked up this book, and one of the best books in a few years.

However, I keep getting this nagging doubt that this stuff should have been out years ago.

Additionally, I heavily disagree with their comments on artillery.
The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.
- Abraham Lincoln

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Dr. Doom v.3.0.1 wrote:

I haven't seen the new book, but there are places in the Appalachians where old vehicles have been stored away since WW2, including the M-48. It's entirely plausible that GAW found these old facilities. A great many of these old vehicles are still in their original packing grease (things like unassembled Willys Jeeps).
Preacher
Hero

Whoa, Carl Danzinger is Multi class Multi class. He will be a tough Bounty to bring in. 9th Level Commando who is a 5th level Burster and a 5th level zapper. Oh and he is completely off his rocker.
Preacher
Hero

PG.61. Old Glory. I want one. Naruni Juggernaught Hover tank with beefed up armor to 1100 MDC and the Laser Gun on top has been replaced with a Boom Gun!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

I haven't gotten a copy yet, but Merc Ops sounds like its got some good gear in it (which I have to admit is one of my main criteria for getting a book). Is most of the stuff on par with Rifts Mercenaries (roughly 103 P.A.) or is it geared more towards Coalition War Campaign (105 P.A. and later)?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Tell Me What are the 5 Best New Power armors in it?

What are the 5 Best New Weapons in it?

What is Magefire?
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

There are less than 5 PAs in it.

I don't know what types of weapons you like, but there's a good selection from Wilks, Northern Gun and Wellington.

Magefire produces TW weapons.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Devari wrote:I haven't gotten a copy yet, but Merc Ops sounds like its got some good gear in it (which I have to admit is one of my main criteria for getting a book). Is most of the stuff on par with Rifts Mercenaries (roughly 103 P.A.) or is it geared more towards Coalition War Campaign (105 P.A. and later)?

MercOps (and MercTown and Naruni Wave II) are the continuation of Mercenaries. Some of the stuff is new and abttle ready for the new generation of CS forces, some of it isn't.

We have Wilks, Northern Gun, Cyberworks, Wellington Industries, Golden Age Weaponsmiths and Chipwell gear.

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Voitagi wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:

Speaking as a soldier in an armored CAV unit, let me tell you, if there is one aircraft tankers fear, its the A-10 :)

That is one bad @$$ plane! It's essentially a flying tank, more armored then any other aircraft and packing some impressive firepower. I still cant believe that the pentagon wanted to scrap them prior to desert storm. Idiots... :x :badbad:

Cant wait to see what one looks like for Rifts. 8-)

Well the A-10 Warthog was state of the art in VietNam, thats probably why they want to scrap it. It also drinks up more fuel than the worlds largest airliners. It was a matter of cost effectiveness.

Yeah but weapons of war have never been as effecient as civilian counter parts....The serve very different purposes, an airliner carries people and luggage through the thin upper atmosphere and a constant speed....the A-10 carries a bigass gun, DU ammo for the gun, an armored tub for th pilot, and has a tripple redundent flight control sustem, through the thicker lower atmosphere and it is constantly decelerating and the accelerating and turning and in general performing a lot of manuvers that no airliner would ever attempt let alone be able to exicute.

Its like comparing a Hummer to a city bus...by and large the bus is a MUCH more ecomonical way to move people but try to ford a 3' deep stream in one!
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Voitagi wrote:Im just saying that the reason they wanted to get rid of the A-10 is because its a pilot, an anti-tank gun (which fires approx. 84 rounds per second) sitting on 2 really big rockets. The modern jets are simply better.

I havnt gotten off my butt to go get my Merc Ops yet, but I hope its better than the original A-10's.

As far as close in air support (espicially against armor) and survivability against small arms fire the A-10 still whups ass all over the modern jets.

I'll admit the newer generations of multipurpose jets are better at all around warfare but for specilized close in fire support and tank killing the Warthog is still champ.

The new jets are generalist the A-10 is a specialist.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

So . . . uh . . . when did the A-10 get involved in Vietnam . . . that's news to me.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Jefffar wrote:So . . . uh . . . when did the A-10 get involved in Vietnam . . . that's news to me.

I was curious to that as well but didnt take the time to look it up...evidently Voitagi was misinformed?

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Very interesting, sicne I thought the A-10 didn't get into service until after the Vietnam war.

Are you perhaps confusing things with the A-1 Skyraider?

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

The first production A-10A was delivered to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., in October 1975.

taken from http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=70

1973 was when the cease fire was signed in Paris and the last U.S. troops pulled out according to the time line on http://www.vietnampix.com/intro.htm

Unread post by Guest »

Voitagi wrote:Now my interrest is peaked, I'm gonna look it up. I could have sworn it was the primary fighter in Vietnam.

The Vietnam War ended in April 1975 with the fall of Saigon. The first A-10 was delivered in October 1975.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Mixing up the A-10 with a MiG? That's a good way to get your house strafed.

Preacher
Hero

daishi wrote:
Preacher wrote:Whoa, Carl Danzinger is Multi class Multi class. He will be a tough Bounty to bring in. 9th Level Commando who is a 5th level Burster and a 5th level zapper. Oh and he is completely off his rocker.

you can multi class an rcc/pcc?

be nice of there were some official rules for multi-classing in rifts

He was an experiment by a Rogue Cell within the Free Quebec Military before the end of the war. Unless they were to sell the process to the black market then it is a freak one of a kind thing.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

He ahs the Skills of the 9th level commando, and the implants give him the powers of a 5th level Burster and a 5th level Zapper.

he's not multi-class

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

It sounds like an interesting book. Though the E-clip recharger should have been in the first Rifts sourcebook. Why the waited so long for that particular piece of technology is beyond me. Minature Fusion plants. Hmm I wonder if you can set them to overload an explode.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

Got my copy today, haven't had a chance to really read it yet, but I've perused it a bit. Looks neat so for, but I think it could have used at least one more edit/review for content conflict. For instance:

Pg. 89 - The NG-A12 decription text says damage from falls and crashes is reduced to one tenth (10%). But under the Special Features heading of the technical blurb, it lists that damage from falls and crashes is reduced to one forth (25%).

Pg. 153 - For the Death Ray Blaster, under P.P.E. Cost it lists it as 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P. for one blast. However, under Payload, it says that each blasts costs 30 P.P.E.

Those are the only two I've noticed, but as I said, I've just kind of skimmed it, only reading certain parts in depth.

Return to “Rifts®”