The Lord of the Deep

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavinsShadow
D-Bee

The Lord of the Deep

Unread post by RavinsShadow »

Greetings all,
As you can tell by the title this post is about The Lord of the Deep in the Marianas Trench.
More specifically if anyone else has uncovered anymore insight to the Whale Singers prophecy.
Here is what I have so far,
A Band of Warriors, brave and strong. (Possibly the PC party themselves, other than that thought, no clue)
A Circle of Wizards, wise and clever. (no clue)
The One Eye of Eylor. (eyes of eylor come from the living planet like being eylor, so possibly a specific eye from the planet)
The Eternal Flame Blade. (a runic weapon that has/had/will fall into the possession of Caleb Vulcan a Cosmo Knight)
The Fires of the Cosmic Forge. (possibly Caleb Vulcan and several of his Cosmic Knight allies, one of the visions Caleb has when he becomes a Cosmo Knight is of him underwater fighting a tentacled creature that devours whales and subs alike while he weilds a flaming blade)
The Largest War Machine. (possible the U.S.S. Ticonderoga and Captain Nemo II)
The Strength of an Unbeliever. (no clue)
and a Hundred years' War. (again no clue, but possible the war with the NGR and the Gargoyle Empire, it fits the timeline from what I've read)
All these Must be. and the Lord Shall Fall.

So that's what I have, any further help would be greatly appreciated as I hope to have my current campaign culminate with this battle.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Lord of the Deep

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think this comes up every now and then with the Prophocies found in a few Rifts Books, but...

RavinsShadow wrote:The Largest War Machine. (possible the U.S.S. Ticonderoga and Captain Nemo II)

Not even close IMHO. There are two ways to approach this. "Machine" as literal or "Machine" as figurative.

In the Literal sense of the word, there are far larger machines one can play with. You've got the Dominators' Star Forts (or Mechanoid Mothership), along with several star ship classes that are easily bigger than the Trico. from Phase World (and art in WB2 has the SDF-1 from RT/Macross2 in Atlantis), Atlantis also has a vessel on the seas (WB6) that has more mass than the Trico (dimensions are such that one can not easily compare them) and they also have a ship of similar overall dimensions.

In the figurative sense though you are looking at a group/team/force that operates well together.

RavinsShadow wrote:The Strength of an Unbeliever. (no clue)

Psi-Nullifier or Nega-Psychic are "unbelievers" (see WB12 for those classes) would be my guess.
RavinsShadow
D-Bee

ShadowLogan, I think your right on it not being the Ticonderoga. I've had some sleep and thought about it.
Often an actual Machine used in war if often called a "Machine of War" not a "War Machine", the full army is often called a war machine, I am now certain that this part refers to the biggest army assembled on rifts earth to date.

As for the strength of an Unbeliever i am more certain that it is an Individual, not so much a specific O.C.C., has anyone to your recollection ever been referred to as the Unbeliever?

a circle of wizards could be something out of Lazlo or even shamans from the nazca

a band of warriors could again be the pcs or perhaphs the cyber knights or even the knights of the white rose in madhaven
Badwords
D-Bee
Comment: How much xp is it worth?

Unread post by Badwords »

Let us pray to the All Mighty Kevin for guidance, oh great Siembieda please bless us with your wisdom and gift us with your guidance. Let us in on this super juicy secret so that we, as players, may be sent to our deaths in new and creative ways by your faithful servants. Aaaaaaaamennnnn
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

if we take warmachine as literal, and assume aquatic (not much use otherwise).. the NGR's Undertow mobile base qualifies now.

if we take it as figurative, we're looking at either the NGR on full ramp up (if local) or the forces of splyncryth (if not local but on the world)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the largest war machine could be the CS military, for all we know. that said, i'd be inclined to take it a bit more literally since it also includes a band of warriors as a separate thing.

strength of the unbeliever... maybe something from wormwood? could've swore there was something along those lines in wormwood, but it's been forever since i read up on it...
RavinsShadow
D-Bee

The NGR and Atlantis have larger armies than the CS. I just read in the Coalition War Campaign book. I shall read over the Wormwood book though thanks for the lead
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the NGR military, at full ramp up (when their 100% draft gets into its swing), will have more troops than the CS has total population.

Splynncryth has billions of kydians at his call, alone. plus millions of other minions. he just keeps them on his other worlds. Atlantis is basically a market outpost and summer home for him. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

RavinsShadow wrote:A Band of Warriors, brave and strong. (Possibly the PC party themselves, other than that thought, no clue)

Could be pretty much anything. If PC party is weak then insert Defilers or something. Maybe party has to find/reunite them? Barring that, perhaps Cyber-Knights? Since LotD doesn't use tech I'd prob say Cosmo-Knights?

RavinsShadow wrote:A Circle of Wizards, wise and clever. (no clue)

Isn't there a circle of 12 in Lazlo or something? Lots of magical circles everywhere. Maybe the group who put down the Old Ones?

RavinsShadow wrote:The One Eye of Eylor. (eyes of eylor come from the living planet like being eylor, so possibly a specific eye from the planet)

Either the whole planet or the biggest/strongest eye from the place which perhaps the Splugorth haven't cut out in fear of killing the planet called "The One Eye" or somethin.

RavinsShadow wrote:The Eternal Flame Blade. (a runic weapon that has/had/will fall into the possession of Caleb Vulcan a Cosmo Knight)
Strong Rifter-influence here. There are plenty of ways to get blades with eternal flames, as for one with a TEFB that's an item to be an invention though.

Another possibility is that the prophecy might have parts omitted or it was misphrased due to problems with Whale Singer vocabulary. Consider alternatively:

"The One's/Ones' Eye of Eyelor"
"The Eternal's/Eternals' Flame Blade"

Then we could look for NPCs called "the one" or "the ones" and "the eternal" or "the eternals"

RavinsShadow wrote:The Fires of the Cosmic Forge. (possibly Caleb Vulcan and several of his Cosmic Knight allies, one of the visions Caleb has when he becomes a Cosmo Knight is of him underwater fighting a tentacled creature that devours whales and subs alike while he weilds a flaming blade)

Perhaps instead of Cosmo-Knights, the actual bonfire it really set is the Fallen Cosmo-Knights?

Particularly those who turn to hellfire and become Demon Knights. I think their energy blasts would be harder on LotD (who could prob just cast Impervious to Energy to negate CosmoKs')

RavinsShadow wrote:The Largest War Machine. (possible the U.S.S. Ticonderoga and Captain Nemo II)

I suppose if the prophecy is earth-tethered. For all we know it might mean a Kreeghor Dreadnought, a Mechanoid Mothership or the SDF

RavinsShadow wrote:The Strength of an Unbeliever. (no clue)
I figure Nega-Psychic/Psi-Nullifier/Sea Inquisitor/Guardian/PhaseMystic to cancel LotD's magic. Many options.

RavinsShadow wrote:a Hundred years' War. (again no clue, but possible the war with the NGR and the Gargoyle Empire, it fits the timeline from what I've read)
Or perhaps the Hades/Dyval conflict? Though with all the weird time-travel it almost seems to exceed a century...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I thought the book specifically stated it was the Ticonderoga. I'll have to take a look.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

If we take the "Largest War machine" literally .. it would be Dominator Star Fortresses. (Canonly, I do not believe there is anything that is close to them)

If we take it "figuratively" then just one way we "could" take it would be that it mean's overall military power. Again we would have to figure if it means on earth .. or in all of the megaverse?
If we take thee largest military power on earth, as its meaning, that is flat out unquestionably Atlantis. (By geometric amounts of troops over everyone else combined.) If we are talking about in the entire megaverse, then we would have to fall back to the mechanoids. (Who prolly rather then fight the Lord of the Deep, I believe they would become allies, wether or not the Lord agreed to it or not.)

Thats my thoughts at least on that part of the prophesy.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I think a Mechanoid mother ship is larger than a Dominator Star Fortress. The Mechanoid mother ship has wings the size of North America, whereas I thought the star fortresses were only the size of a small moon.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Unless the dimension sized machine (The Great Machine) and all its drones....maybe its purpose is that its a device for killing elder alien intelligences....
(maybe this is the purpose of The Great Machine...its a McGuffin to fulfil random prophecies of slaying......)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Since C.J. Carella wrote ("co-wrote") the Underseas book, I'd look for these things in his other books.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:Since C.J. Carella wrote ("co-wrote") the Underseas book, I'd look for these things in his other books.

:lol: You mean like the fact that pn page 63 of Pantheons Gilgamesh the Wanderer has Weapon: Flameblade? :lol:
:bandit: Not saying that its the Flameblade or anything.... :bandit:
But it does happen to be a unique rune weapon with the proper name, that happens to pre-date the prophecy......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

In b4 band of warriors is just all the slain Gilgamesh clones teamed up after mass ressurection.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Speaking of "The Eternal Flame Blade," I could have sworn I read a passage in one of the newer books that made me think of the Prophesy, but for the life of me I can't remember what/where it is. <<put "frustrated" emoticon here>>

Something to do with the "Flame Blade."

Lemuria, maybe? Does anyone recall any details in regard to this, or am I just imagining that I read a reference to it somewhere? :?
Ordered Chaos
D-Bee

Unread post by Ordered Chaos »

Lemuria pg. 17 has the eternal blade. Closest thing I've seen match the description and the mauians believe it's the real deal. I've always assumed the non believer would be a sea inquisitor, given how they receive their abilities. Anyway, that's my two cents.
"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

A non-believer in what, the Lord's promises? Not like they're the only ones who reject him.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I think the Circle of Wizards is likely a reference to the Whale Singers and their allies.

Personally, I envision the non-believer to be someone who has no faith in the prophesy and believes that the whole war against the Lord of the Deep is a fools errand that will kill every one involved. He only gets involved because his friends join the Crusade and he's got nothing else going for him so he tags along. At the end though, he comes through on his part, possibly sacrificing himself to ensure the survival of his friends, who are important to final moments of the battle.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

Do you guys like teasers?

If so, read on:

Spoiler:
The up coming New Navy World Book has a large adventure dealing with the Prophesy and is still set up to be kind of open so GM's can play with it as they like, but a ton of insight and information was provided to not only inspire GM's but also provide some guidelines, alternate ideas and suggestions... ;)
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Do you guys like teasers?

If so, read on:

Spoiler:
The up coming New Navy World Book has a large adventure dealing with the Prophesy and is still set up to be kind of open so GM's can play with it as they like, but a ton of insight and information was provided to not only inspire GM's but also provide some guidelines, alternate ideas and suggestions... ;)

Really??????? Until I see it, I'm an Unbeliever. ;)
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:Do you guys like teasers?

If so, read on:

Spoiler:

Really??????? Until I see it, I'm an Unbeliever. ;)

Are you strong enough for us to utilize you though? :bandit:

Return to “Rifts®”