What power would this be?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

What power would this be?

Unread post by Matt »

If a hero can generate an electric shock to someone trying to grab him, in the fashion of an electric eel, what power would that be?
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: What power would this be?

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

A bunch of powers can do this, but really anything with an electrical attack can be conducted via contact. Energy expulsion, Electricity, APS Electricity, Control Static electricity, ect. All you need is an available attack and the will to zap someone.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

The Artist Formerly wrote:A bunch of powers can do this, but really anything with an electrical attack can be conducted via contact. Energy expulsion, Electricity, APS Electricity, Control Static electricity, ect. All you need is an available attack and the will to zap someone.

Thanks. Anything I would need to make sure it can ONLY be conducted via contact, I.e., no blasts or projections or anything else? Pure defensive power.

(Trying to use Heroes Unlimited for a super hero game because I much prefer its combat system to othe games I have seen, but find the huge lists of powers difficult to navigate to find what is needed. Have all the Powers Unlimited books.)
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Matt wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:A bunch of powers can do this, but really anything with an electrical attack can be conducted via contact. Energy expulsion, Electricity, APS Electricity, Control Static electricity, ect. All you need is an available attack and the will to zap someone.

Thanks. Anything I would need to make sure it can ONLY be conducted via contact, I.e., no blasts or projections or anything else? Pure defensive power.

(Trying to use Heroes Unlimited for a super hero game because I much prefer its combat system to othe games I have seen, but find the huge lists of powers difficult to navigate to find what is needed. Have all the Powers Unlimited books.)

The situation I described is badguy grabs me, on my next action, I zap him.

BUT,

In a purely defensive situation, have the PC take a power that qualifies, then declare defensive posture. He burns an attack once per minute and it deals damage to the first person who makes a grab attack or it fades away at the end of a minute. Once discharged or faded, the PC would again have to spend an attack to recharge the power.

We'd be moving outside the set game rules a bit, but you're awarding the player for innovating. Since this is situational event, it won't come into combat all the time, so this is an easy way to resolve it.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Matt
D-Bee

Unread post by Matt »

Muchas gracias.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Matt wrote:Muchas gracias.

Dai nada amigo.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Matt wrote:If a hero can generate an electric shock to someone trying to grab him, in the fashion of an electric eel, what power would that be?

Check out these powers and see if any of them fit what you're going for. I pulled up powers where you generate a field passively so that anyone coming into melee automatically gets hit. If you're looking to actively generate a field in response to being touched there are possibly a few more options:
  • Energy Expulsion: Electrical Field - Heroes Unlimited Second Edition, page 231
  • Alter Physical Structure: Electricity (specifically ability #5) - Heroes Unlimited Second Edition, pages 240 -241
  • Control Static Electricity (specifically ability #5) - Heroes Unlimited Second Edition, pages 270 -271
  • Energy Expulsion: Energy Aura (just say the "energy" is electricity) - Powers Unlimited 1, page 22
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Matt
D-Bee

Unread post by Matt »

Thanks for the useful references. Sounds like what I need.

Starting to appreciate HU after years of overlooking it. Really enjoy the combat system as it makes opponents feel like their choices matter (as opposed to games where the attacker's roll decides everything).

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”