creating permanant copies of objects: can it be done

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

creating permanant copies of objects: can it be done

Unread post by BIBBI »

Just wondering if anyone knows a way in the rules to create a permanent copy of a non magical item.

to be more specific I'm trying to increase the supply of a metal without having to mine it. I've looked for a while but haven't found anything that does the trick.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: creating permanant copies of objects: can it be done

Unread post by filo_clarke »

A Conjurer (Rifts and PFRPG) can do it by burning his Permanent PPE. It had better be a VERY important project.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There is the level 9 spell 'Create Steel' in Rifts that can recycle certain metals, and end up with more metal than you started with.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

IIRC there are warlocks spell that can convert things into metal (can look it up atm). Like clay to lead or similar.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Earth Warlocks can alter some materials into metal with lasting effect, I think stone to Iron is the exact spell (and Mud to Stone, so you just go to a river bank, dig up a pile of mud, turn it to stone, then to iron, and bring it over to a forge for shaping).
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

The conjurer appears to be the only thing that works so far. thank you for the insight.

create metal and the warlock spells don't work for the kind of metal I'm trying to replicate (Gantrium, from the northern hinterlands book)

a spell, even a temporary one, would be optimal. if not it looks like I'm going to have to pick up the Conjurer OCC.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

BIBBI wrote:The conjurer appears to be the only thing that works so far. thank you for the insight.

create metal and the warlock spells don't work for the kind of metal I'm trying to replicate (Gantrium, from the northern hinterlands book)

a spell, even a temporary one, would be optimal. if not it looks like I'm going to have to pick up the Conjurer OCC.

Just be aware, that as noted by some in the Conjurer thread in the Magic forum, that you may not be able to conjure Gantrium. Especially in PF where the Conjurer class has the note about being unable to summon precious metals.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

BIBBI wrote:The conjurer appears to be the only thing that works so far. thank you for the insight.

I would never in a million years, as a GM, allow a player to create Gantrium for any reason.

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Cinos wrote:

I would never in a million years, as a GM, allow a player to create Gantrium for any reason.

Agreed.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If you don't let them make Gantrium you know they'll just start a Zaayr farm instead. You don't want to see those things breeding do you?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

The two spells you are looking for are Earth warlock spells. The first is "Create Dirt or Clay" 2nd level spell pg. 228. The other is "Clay or Stone to Iron" 6th level spell pg. 231. Both are permanent!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

What about using temporal magic to bring said item from the future to the past. Ie. Two of the same rune sword.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

say652 wrote:What about using temporal magic to bring said item from the future to the past. Ie. Two of the same rune sword.

Then the player should know that eventually he would lose the sword that gets taken. Ahhhh temporal mechanics suck.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Two mjonirs though. Even if you only get it for a few adventures would still be epic.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

say652 wrote:What about using temporal magic to bring said item from the future to the past. Ie. Two of the same rune sword.

This I might let fly in a case by case, but the unique weapon would need to follow the same rules a person would. I.E if you state that if two of the same person come into contact during time travel explode or create a paradox, two of the same rune weapon should do the same (having souls and being made of the same material and all). To avoid too much headache, I generally rule that time travelers cannot exist in a time they have existed before (unless they're 4D beings), which would make rune weapons tricky to use this way given their age.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My thought was a quantum copy. So a sword good alignment grants control kinetic energy. The temporal duplicate may appear as an axe or mace. But still be that particular weapon.
BIBBI
Wanderer
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

Nightfactory wrote:
Cinos wrote:

+1000

1) this was merely curiosity, I would never actually do this. unless of course the current level of play would render whatever I did with that much gantrium balanced (Ex. the GM is throwing [flocks, wings, herds, not really sure what the correct one is.] of dragons at the group.)

2) found a way to do it.

3) to the people talking about the time shenanigans. I did use that once, though as a GM, after a time traveler sold a character a weapon, he implied that he'd looted it from the character's corpse.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I got that ONE ;) good idea. Lol.
And a Murder of Dragons?? Sounds like tuesday to me. Lol.
BIBBI
Wanderer
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

it requires a Rifter class. the animator (which is quickly becoming one of the most broken classes that I have found) from Rifter #26. at level 9 he can create constructs that repair themselves over time, 2d6 every 30 seconds. if you take a chunk of gantrium (either raw, or forged in non magical fire.), animate it, and had someone file away at it, then the construct would "heal" itself by creating more material, however the shavings would be left behind. if you can get someone who can deal enough damage with a file, you could (assuming gantrium when not indestructible has a similar weight-to-sdc ratio to steel) create about 11 pounds per minute, more if there is less sdc per pound.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

If you haven't noticed yet. All temporal magic in Palladium alone works in one direction, FORWARD. Nothing ever goes back in time. This is to take away any paradox like scenerios etc...

You can slow time, speed it up, stop it, jump forward to some furture time, but you can never go back or send anything into the past. Time reversal is not a currently in the Palladium game system.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Dimensional anomaly. Ie. A quantum copy.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Lukterran wrote:

If you haven't noticed yet. All temporal magic in Palladium alone works in one direction, FORWARD. Nothing ever goes back in time. This is to take away any paradox like scenerios etc...

You can slow time, speed it up, stop it, jump forward to some furture time, but you can never go back or send anything into the past. Time reversal is not a currently in the Palladium game system.

I'll beat Tor to the punch and point out the Time Travel Magic in the out of print and thus no longer canon Transdimensional Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Mjinor and StormBreaker.
Same weapon two different beings use them. Jussayin.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

BIBBI wrote:it requires a Rifter class. the animator (which is quickly becoming one of the most broken classes that I have found) from Rifter #26. at level 9 he can create constructs that repair themselves over time, 2d6 every 30 seconds. if you take a chunk of gantrium (either raw, or forged in non magical fire.), animate it, and had someone file away at it, then the construct would "heal" itself by creating more material, however the shavings would be left behind. if you can get someone who can deal enough damage with a file, you could (assuming gantrium when not indestructible has a similar weight-to-sdc ratio to steel) create about 11 pounds per minute, more if there is less sdc per pound.

There are a couple issues I have with that.
1) it presumes that the shavings would stick around
2) it presumes that the repairs will magically create material to 'fix it'

I would be VERY likely to be inclined to say that the shavings will 'evaporate' at that same rate....I.E. the damaged parts return to the whole.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:Mjinor and StormBreaker.
Same weapon two different beings use them. Jussayin.

If you're talking the Marvel Comics items then no they aren't the same weapon, Odin commissioned Stormbreaker's construction and gave it identical enchantments to Thor's hammer Mjolnir in order to reward Beta Ray Bill for his proven heroic nature to rival Thor.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So If a greater god can make duplicate unique rune weapons.
Maybe a spell or combination of spells can infact duplicate minor weapons. Two greatest rune weapons for example.
Plausible! !
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:So If a greater god can make duplicate unique rune weapons.
Maybe a spell or combination of spells can infact duplicate minor weapons. Two greatest rune weapons for example.
Plausible! !

I do not follow the logic of "If one of the most top tier beings in the megaverse (A greater god/head of pantheon) can do something (In another IP) Then mortal magic should be able to do it too."

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

To a lesser degree. Yes.
Now the fun part. What exctly are we trying to duplicate? ?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Gantrium
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

kiralon wrote:Gantrium

No.
BIBBI
Wanderer
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

eliakon wrote:There are a couple issues I have with that.
1) it presumes that the shavings would stick around
2) it presumes that the repairs will magically create material to 'fix it'

I would be VERY likely to be inclined to say that the shavings will 'evaporate' at that same rate....I.E. the damaged parts return to the whole.

1) valid point, this is the biggest wrench in this system. my argument on why it would not is below.

2) specific wording is "Bio regenerate" all other bio regenerates in the game (most notably phoenixi) add more material and leave the cut off pieces

say625 wrote:No.

as has been stated previously, purely for purposes of system mastery and curiosity. would likely never be used in game.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

A fixed item sure. But an unlimited supply of raw materials O.O I am a level 9000 Munchkin and I'm like dude thats just not fair. Lol

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”