Attacks Per Melee House Rule...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr_Prof_Bosk
D-Bee

Attacks Per Melee House Rule...

Unread post by Dr_Prof_Bosk »

Hi everybody! I've been working on a HU campaign and this idea came to me about linking your attacks into combos; wanted to get some feed back as to whether or not it seems any good.

Basically the higher your PP bonus the more attacks you can take in that action. Say you've got the standard 4 APMs at level 1 and a +3 s/p/d from your PP; when it's your turn to attack you'd be able to toss a jab, another jab, and finish with an upper cut (or flying punch, energy blast, hammer throw opponent into the atmosphere if you're of the meta-human persuasion). You couldn't attack more times than you have APMs and you don't necessarily need to make all of your attacks in one action but this would make combat more cinematic. Or it seems that way to me.

You'd still roll for each attack in the combo and if you missed any of the attacks it would leave you open for a combo breaker. Here's where things start to get squiffy in my mind, I was thinking that the base % chance for breaking a combo would be the breaker's PP; and it'd go up +1 per level so long as they have a Hand to Hand skill. If they successfully break the combo they'd get to immediately take an action even if they wouldn't normally get to attack. This could allow the breaker to perform their own combo so long as they still have attack actions left. Out of attacks, out of luck.

I'm worried that the chance to break the combo is to low but I'm not sure how I should scale it. Any suggestions or feed back would be most welcome.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Re: Attacks Per Melee House Rule...

Unread post by Chronicle »

We did that and it worked pretty well. I would take the number of attacks and divide them accordingly which would allow multiple strikes per turn. Luckily my players who had all those attacks would dodge more often.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm not sure what you mean... you allow the attacks that should occur later to occur earlier if you have a bonus equal to that many?

So if I have 10 attacks per melee and +8 from my PP, I can throw 8 kicks in my first attack and 2 kicks in my second?

Seems like it could easily get out of hand... and kind of farts on the point of Thai Kickboxing's lightning kata.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

I would divide the melee into 5 phases and put those actions into those 5 sections. With 8 people in our group it speeds things up for combat by a lot.

Example: a person with 10 attacks would have 2 per phase

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I've reduced attacks per melee and slaved them to initiative.

It does work faster, with the higher initiative people getting more tactical.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Dr_Prof_Bosk
D-Bee

Tor wrote:I'm not sure what you mean... you allow the attacks that should occur later to occur earlier if you have a bonus equal to that many?

So if I have 10 attacks per melee and +8 from my PP, I can throw 8 kicks in my first attack and 2 kicks in my second?

Seems like it could easily get out of hand... and kind of farts on the point of Thai Kickboxing's lightning kata.

Basically. The more I think about it the more it reminds me of Mortal Combat. It may well be a bit over powered. I haven't had the opportunity to play test it yet and my game isn't slated to start till the campaign we're currently playing in ends in about a month. I'll have to try and give it a run through to see. As for this interfering with a N&SS hand to hand katas and such, I'm still on the fence about if I was going to allow 'em. I liked Bill Coffin's house rule in Gramercy Island about letting the Physical Training category take 'em but I hadn't really planned on letting any of the others have access to them.

Chronicle wrote:I would divide the melee into 5 phases and put those actions into those 5 sections. With 8 people in our group it speeds things up for combat by a lot.

So each melee round is further divided in to five mini melee rounds?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Chronicle wrote:I would divide the melee into 5 phases and put those actions into those 5 sections. With 8 people in our group it speeds things up for combat by a lot.

While the 5 Phase system is effective I found that at lower levels it was indistinguishable from the canon design.

3 Phases of 5 seconds still allows for the "redistribution" of the "extra" attacks of certain characters more equitably while also giving the lower APM characters/players a sense of progression parity.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Dr_Prof_Bosk wrote:

More or less...

A fortuitous side effect of the Phased Combat system is how it lends itself to resolving other issues of the combat system with little no additional tweaking. (Movement in combat and Simultaneous Attack for example).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Dr_Prof_Bosk
D-Bee

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Dr_Prof_Bosk wrote:

More or less...

A fortuitous side effect of the Phased Combat system is how it lends itself to resolving other issues of the combat system with little no additional tweaking. (Movement in combat and Simultaneous Attack for example).

Hmm... I'll have to give that a try.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Wow... this is great idea! Not only does it add a new dimension to combat, and speed things up, but it also solves the problem of tactical movement. I am definitely gonna play around with this, but I think this is gonna make my list of top ten house rules!
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Just out of curiosity though, how does this affect simultaneous attack? I've always found that rule problematic (even more so in PFRPG).
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mediapig71 wrote:Just out of curiosity though, how does this affect simultaneous attack? I've always found that rule problematic (even more so in PFRPG).
By spreading out the "excess" APM more equitably.

Example:
Player A has 4 APM
Player B has 8 APM

In a 3 Phase Melee their Action distribution would look like this:
Player A - APM 4 - 2/1/1
Player B - APM 8 - 3/3/2

Also Remember Simul-attack is only a good option in a one on one situation. Multi-attackers would cancel out the effectiveness of the option.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

As it should. Also it makes dodging a bit less painful when you have many attacks

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Chronicle wrote:a person with 10 attacks would have 2 per phase

If they had nine, which phase would they only have 1? First or fifth?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

I would come up with a table for that. Otherwise put it in the last phase

9apm = 2/2/2/2/1

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Using the 5 or 3 segment rule then, how would dodging work exactly? If I only have 1 attack that segment, and my opponent has 2, can I only dodge 1 attack?
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Anyone?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mediapig71 wrote:Anyone?

I have folded Multiple Dodge (from N&S) into the regular dodge.
1 Dodge is effective against all attacks directed towards you during a single attack turn (everyone capable of doing so takes an action).
Auto-dodge on the other hand is only effective against a single attack.
And you may "borrow" future actions for dodging.
So if you only have 1 action that phase but everyone else has two you can still dodge if needed.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

Either that or it will use an action from the next phase

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tor wrote:
Chronicle wrote:a person with 10 attacks would have 2 per phase

If they had nine, which phase would they only have 1? First or fifth?
well some folks "evenly" distribute the APMs (I prefer the 3 phase method due to a simpler distribution metric)
But the options available (Weather using 3 r 5 phases) are really only 3...
Either the APM are distributed in a front loaded capacity (all APM are distributed one at a time starting with the 1st phase and progressing to the last phase before starting over at the first phase); or Backloaded (Opposite of front loading); or a chart is developed wherein the APM are distributed "evenly" out from the center.

I recommend either Front or Back loading (Mostly because they are the easiest grasp and can be done on the fly quickly and without requiring referencing a chart.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

If one has fewer attacks than segments (Say, there are 5 segments, and an NPC has 3 attacks) would they act in the last three segments, or the first three?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mediapig71 wrote:If one has fewer attacks than segments (Say, there are 5 segments, and an NPC has 3 attacks) would they act in the last three segments, or the first three?

That would all depend on which of the 3 methods I described above your group agreed upon.
The fact that there is the distinct possibility of a character ending up with "dead" segments in the 5 phase method is why I advocate the use of the 3 segments method.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”