Attribute Arrays for HU

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Attribute Arrays for HU

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Has anyone ever used an "Array" system to generate attributes for HU, or any other Palladium game? If so, what score range did you use?
Slight001
Hero

Re: Attribute Arrays for HU

Unread post by Slight001 »

I'll admit I have no idea what you are even talking about,
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mediapig71 wrote:Has anyone ever used an "Array" system to generate attributes for HU, or any other Palladium game? If so, what score range did you use?

Do you mean like the optional stat rolls in RT2? where they favor one stat over the others.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Sorry guys, I meant like D&D 4e, where instead instead of rolling for stats, each character chooses form a set "array" or pre-rolled stats, and arranges them how they see fit.

The idea being no one character can dominate the game due to lucky rolls, as each characters have the same basic stats, just arranged differently.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

We did something like that when we were playing competitive games (mutant olympics, that sort of thing), but never for any other kinds of games.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

flatline wrote:We did something like that when we were playing competitive games (mutant olympics, that sort of thing), but never for any other kinds of games.

--flatline

Do you recall what range of stats you used?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I have had good luck using the "quick character generation" method of stat rolling as presented in Robotech. You select which of the 8 attributes you want to be the character's main "focus" or ability, and that is the highest number while the other attributes fan out logically. You generally end up with an exceptional attribute between 18-25, with one or two others in the 14-18 range and the rest in the 9-12 and 10-14 range.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Mediapig71 wrote:
flatline wrote:We did something like that when we were playing competitive games (mutant olympics, that sort of thing), but never for any other kinds of games.

--flatline

Do you recall what range of stats you used?

I do not. Sorry.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Glistam wrote:I have had good luck using the "quick character generation" method of stat rolling as presented in Robotech. You select which of the 8 attributes you want to be the character's main "focus" or ability, and that is the highest number while the other attributes fan out logically. You generally end up with an exceptional attribute between 18-25, with one or two others in the 14-18 range and the rest in the 9-12 and 10-14 range.

This sounds good... do you roll these attributes, or are they pre-assigned?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

They're rolled. By the book each category (Brainy, Stong-Willed, Charismatic, Physically Strong, Fast Reflexes, Great Endurance, Beautifl/Pretty Boy, and Fast as Lightning) rolls all these slightly differently with slightly different spreads, minimums and maximums. If you don't have access to that, then rolling these and assigning them smartly would give you something similar:
19+1D6, 14+1D4, 13+1D6, 10+1D6, 10+1D4, 8+1D6, 8+1D4, 8+1D4.

Or you could do a point buy, maybe something like so:

125 points for Humans to buy stats up from 0.

To purchase a stat in the range of 1 and 15: 1 point per point in the stat.
To purchase a stat in the range of 16 and 18: 2 points per each point in the stat above 15.
To purchase a stat in the range of 19 and 24: 3 points per each point in the stat above 18.
To purchase a stat in the range of 25 and 30: 4 points per each point in the stat above 24.

You decide what the "minimum" should be. If it's 8 (like in D&D), then just say all stats start at 8 and reduce the starting points by 64 (8 points × 8 stats × 1 for the point cost), down to 61. Minimums of 3 should reduce the starting points to 101 (3 points × 8 stats × 1 for the point cost). Etcetera.

I don't know, see how that looks to you. Having an "array" would be difficult to balance without a lot of work because of skills, powers, and power categories which all give stat bonuses.

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

OK, so by the average, that would give players an array of:

24, 17, 17, 14, 13, 12, 11, 11

and I could further adjust those up and down to give a couple different options.

Thanks!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I made a spreadsheet with that point-buy system I put up in my previous post. The more I play with it, the more I like it: Palladium Human Stats Point Buy

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Glistam wrote:I made a spreadsheet with that point-buy system I put up in my previous post. The more I play with it, the more I like it: Palladium Human Stats Point Buy
Works well for settings that use the standard 3d6 for each stat.
Have you worked on a variant for races that have different stat dice? (IE: Elves, Dwarves, etc...)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Glistam wrote:I made a spreadsheet with that point-buy system I put up in my previous post. The more I play with it, the more I like it: Palladium Human Stats Point Buy
Works well for settings that use the standard 3d6 for each stat.
Have you worked on a variant for races that have different stat dice? (IE: Elves, Dwarves, etc...)

I've been thinking about it... The first thing to decide is how the "exceptional attribute" rolls should be considered - if at all. The other major consideration is that each race would basically have their own system that has to be used. There are some shortcuts and thumbrules that could be considered which would help mitigate that but I'm still basically brainstorming.

EDIT: Oh, I see Palladium Fantasy answers whether or not exceptional attributes are considered. So that's one hurtle handled.

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I like the array idea in concept, but I found it was fairly unfair the whole way round, and prone to massive mismanagement and rules abuses. Plus the actual arrays were highly unprobable.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”