what about super powers ?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

what about super powers ?

Unread post by oger333 »

any thought on super powers . hand a crazy thought of a super hero or villains in the zombie apocalypse?
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Re: what about super powers ?

Unread post by dargo83 »

sounds like someone has been reading ex heros. i have given some of my dead heads super powers like massive damage capacity, bone armor, damage resitance, bone claws, ect just to name a few i use Blacak Vault a lot I mean A LOT!!!!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

dargo83 wrote:sounds like someone has been reading ex heros. i have given some of my dead heads super powers like massive damage capacity, bone armor, damage resitance, bone claws, ect just to name a few i use Blacak Vault a lot I mean A LOT!!!!

bah, beat me to it!
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

i was thinking like a half and half , where they have a stronghold with tech and stuff where the have to defined , and then go out for people and beat back the endless hordes?
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Don't start the campaign with super powers, but once the game is established, the introduction of super powers could really change things up a bit.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I am not a big fan of adding super-powers to a zombie survival game. I prefer to keep it as a story of mankind's decline (or rise, depending on your group) as a society in the face of adversity rather than a game of bashing the monster of the week.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Looking forward to Cline's 3rd book, Ex-Communication! Already got my copy pre-ordered.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I thought acout adding super powers to my DR campaign, i'm already pushing it to the magic/supernatural angle......

Though if i did add powers, they would be nothing major, just one or two minors
The Dragon Has Spoken
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

OK i hand an idea from watching a marvel iron man show on Netflix. if most normal people turned zombie how would the supers deal with the fact no cure and endless dead coming at u and other none turn people , and the supers aren't zombies . i did read that book
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Super-heroes can be fine but they should be pretty rare, and come with a lot more side effects than normal.

The way they're utilized in Systems Failure would be a good example, since it's a rare government project that makes the people with them look all warped.

Maybe double the amount of rolls on the mutation or experiment side effects, or use the bio-freak tables in Skraypers.

Oger you got me wondering which Iron Man show you're talking about. The old 90s one? Armoured Adventures? The anime?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Snake Eyes
Hero

The government experiment angle is a great idea Tor
The Dragon Has Spoken
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

A dead reign game with super powers, with the right role-playing characters, would be awesome. Wouldn't be about smashing zombies. Would be about maintaining ones humanity and even moralities. Then, if things go well, can always through in the villains who don't care where the world is going and are still villains. I had a setting and campaign worked up in the beginnings but health has caused me to shelf it for now. The campaign was even named like a peter clines novel, with his permission.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

I agree with SittingBull, if the game is still about making moral decisions that (right or wrong) create an emotional experience for the player group, then go ahead and add all the powers/spells/psionics you want. If, however, the game just turns into "Ha, now that I'm metal (or fire, or liquid, etc.) the zombies aren't any kind of threat! I can kill them with impunity, and don't have to feel any remorse because they are evil undead abominations! Where's my grenade launcher?" Then that sounds incredible lame.

The beauty of the zombie apocalypse setting is that players get to push their characters through the fall of civilization and have to deal with the loss of all things familiar and comfortable. From now on they sleep with one eye open. They have to worry about infection from every cut, scrape, or blister. They spend more time securing a source of clean drinking water than they spend enjoying time with friends and family. Life has become hard, and not just because of the zombies, but because of the loss of everything normal and safe.

As long as the super powers don't take away from that, I'd be fine with them.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I have No problem with it,But all Supers turn into Zombies lost ther Powers.
The Supers both Heroes and villains can take down big number of Zombies.
SittingBull
Hero

Yes super-powered individual can destroy zombies easy but there is so much more productive tasks to be done; and billions of zombies to destroy. Destroying zombies is something you wont be done with soon and they aren't going anywhere.

There is protecting the innocent, rescuing people, procuring water, procuring food, procuring medicines, procuring supplies, not letting yourself slip morally, and ect.

If anything smashing zombies is for when its absolutely needed, and if done with the right powers, something the GM would just skim over and say 'its done'. Or at the very least something for the hero to do when he has to let off some steam or go on a drunken rampage (if appropriate).
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm looking forward to the brave APS Metal guy taking on a horde of zombies until eh is targetted by a guy with Negate Super Abilities who has joined the Cult of Brulyx.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Snake Eyes
Hero

I'm actually using the super abilities angle.....here's how i did it (using the list from PU3)

1) the day of the zombie apocalypse, roll D100, a roll of 01-25% you gain 1D4-1 powers, on a roll of 26-00%, nothing (because the Z-virus has a chance to ignite your abilities)
2) If you fail your first roll, then 2 weeks into the zombie apocalypse, you make another roll, if you fail this roll, the chance of gaining abilities drops to 01-15% (16-00% nothing)
3) A month into the zombie apocalypse, make one last roll, if you fail the roll you never gain abilities, and if you die you're a zombie
The Dragon Has Spoken
SittingBull
Hero

If my health wasn't an issue I would, seeing the turn out here, set my game to happen here on the forums.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

If anyone is interested look for EX-Rogues on FACEBOOK.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Campaign setting idea: The government experiments on people to try to instill super powers. But something goes horribly wrong, and now a small group of people will legitimate (albeit minor) super powers is stuck in the middle of a sea of zombies, because the research itself is Ground Zero. Once the heroes fight their way outside, they get to see just how far it has spread.

So now a small cadre of "heroes", who would be mulch in a serious super hero game, is humanity's best hope for survival.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say Only BtS,s pcc,ther not over powered.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Torgtrog wrote:No Robotics, cybernetics
Whatever major advantages those could add initially would be rapidly balanced out by the lack of serviceability.

HU bots' natural AR would be epic for wading through zombies, but it would wear...
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

I let my characters have 2 minor powers that they do not get to choose. All superpower characters I have pre-generated. I have a massive list of them. It's just names and what powers are associated with them. Because these ones have powers I skimped on the skills. I think its only fair. The reason I gave them powers- the wave affected a small percentage of people differently. Instead of becoming creepers they got powers. It's why they are pre-generated. They also get a BG story of what they have done since the day of the risen. So the player is acting out a part as opposed to creating something original with a new character
SittingBull
Hero

HU/DR/Others has been running for over a year now. The game is called EXRogues. Power individuals who find themselves in the place of Heroes when they would rather not be, individuals from questionable backgrounds or rogues. If anyone is on Facebook the group is an open group and called EXRogues.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I support this post.

Add in supers but!! Have any character with super powers double (or triple) their ppe base.
Now they are really gonna need those special abilities since its basically like being a walking McDonalds sign.
SittingBull
Hero

Just remember you can still hide from zombies no matter how much ppe you have.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

To a point. As a gm would let a character with lets say 400ppe not act as a Zombie dinner bell??
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Something like "for each point of PPE, add 1 foot the the distance zombies can sense you from" would be neat, and help vary for everyone. The whole fixed range for everyone thing is a bit weird.

After a while, people might be able to figure out their PPE and meta-game by testing how close they can get to zombies before triggering.

Also would be interesting if you had a mage, since you could lend PPE to the mage to lower your PPE so you can sneak up on zombies.
SittingBull
Hero

I thought the more ppe one had the brighter they were. But ones PPE glow can be blocked, by the book at least.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I expect there's probably some item or another in other games which can block PPE scents. Mask PPE in Psyscape or that spell in Mercenary Adventures could work.
SittingBull
Hero

I mean if a person is behind a door or wall or vehicle the zombies dont know hes there because they cant see his living glow.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane

Return to “Dead Reign™”