Coalition State's Standing on Drugs and Alcohol

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: Coalition State's Standing on Drugs and Alcohol

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Alcohol is permitted. In fact i think Victory Gin, is produced by the Coalition States. Drugs I think are illegal but there is nothing in canon to describe it. I checked CWC pg 28 and drugs are not listed as a crime.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

I'm interested as well.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

How I'd play it:

Probably on the surface very strict; especially if intoxication/addiction affects the efficiency of anybody in government service. If you work for the CS and you totter in drunk or stoned, they'll come down on you like the proverbial ton of bricks. If you're lucky enough to be skilled, you get run into rehab, CS bootcamp-style. If you're not, you can get fired, or, more likely, sent to a penal labor unit where you work at very reduced wages(or nothing) until they figure you've learned your lesson(most people so sentenced somehow don't).
Outside CS service, the CS probably figures that as long as the population quietly self-medicates, they can leave well enough alone. That is, as long as no d-bees or magic users or other enemies of the state are involved in supplying the stuff; that's a CS monopoly. And I can see the upper class elites of CS society getting passes on supplying the lower classes with liqour and dope.

So, lower class, relaxed attitude as long as you don't work for the CS or CS-serving industry, because the law and the labor barons will come down on you.
Middle class---You better be clean, or you're boned, because your upward progression and bright sunny future are dependent on you not running up any black marks with the narcs.
Upper Class---Law really doesn't apply to you, and the DeadBoys will look the other way if you're occasionially Drunk & Disorderly or stoned, or caught pushing to the lower classes.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Jack
Wanderer
Comment: Pumpkin King, Pirate Captain, Giant Killer, Frost Spirit, In the Box

Unread post by The Jack »

A few relevant reference points to help flesh out the picture:

-As mentioned, Juicer technology is illegal. According to RUE, anyone convicted of creating a Juicer in CS territory is executed.

-Psyscape p. 88, Psi Cola. It is illegal and strictly enforced in CS states, but not very strictly enforced in the Burbs. CS maintains an anti-drug and public awareness campaign to keep citizens on the straight and narrow. Selling to a CS Psi Stalker or Dog Boy is a capital offense.

-Juicer Uprising, p. 60. Juicer Wannabe gangs are a problem in CS territories, and their problems come part and parcel with the drugs they abuse. Most of the drugs described have been developed in the NGR and imported to the CS through the Black Market.

-Coalition War Campaign, p. 199. Drug dealing is described as one of the many crime problems running rampant in the Burbs. The CS Military and ISS both have jurisdiction, but primarily only care when activities affect CS citizens. In the Burbs, it seems that drugs are fairly common so long as users and dealers maintain a low profile. If CS citizens are threatened, harmed or affected in any way, however, there will be swift and usually permanent justice.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Consumption of spirits leads to consorting with spirits. ;)

While not canon, I think it could be fun to have some radical prohibitionists preaching the evils of drink around CS towns.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Probably used for income for a lot of people as well. I think rifts Mercenaries has illegal activity as on of its mercenary operation options. Yes it does but drug use/trafficking is not listed. I don't know what that tells you considering it should be an easy way to make money.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Jack
Wanderer

Greyaxe wrote:Probably used for income for a lot of people as well. I think rifts Mercenaries has illegal activity as on of its mercenary operation options. Yes it does but drug use/trafficking is not listed. I don't know what that tells you considering it should be an easy way to make money.

While absent from Rifts Mercenaries, Drug Chemist (p. 67) and Moonshiner (p. 68) are listed as Black Market jobs, and the cost and profits from drug dealing are detailed as a common criminal enterprise (p. 76) in Rifts Black Market.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The Jack wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:Probably used for income for a lot of people as well. I think rifts Mercenaries has illegal activity as on of its mercenary operation options. Yes it does but drug use/trafficking is not listed. I don't know what that tells you considering it should be an easy way to make money.

While absent from Rifts Mercenaries, Drug Chemist (p. 67) and Moonshiner (p. 68) are listed as Black Market jobs, and the cost and profits from drug dealing are detailed as a common criminal enterprise (p. 76) in Rifts Black Market.

Thanks Jack. I will re read that one.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

If you want the population dumbed down i dont see why they would worry bout drugs. Its not like irs getting in the way of littericay rate what not.
The Jack
Wanderer

You are quite welcome, Greyaxe.

Oberoth, thank you for linking to that thread. It was an interesting discussion, but my favorite take-away has to be the idea of drug-sniffing Dog Boys. I can't believe I've never thought of that.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

p.59 of Triax 2 talks about CS state-produced beer.

Return to “Rifts®”