crazy sea inquisitor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

crazy sea inquisitor

Post by say652 »

would the charcter have insanities? this idea came me as the whole being psionically assuaulted is traumatic so instead of a mom harness it basically turned this chick into a crazy.(cool backround i thought) but if the rules lawyers want to gripe i can write the history so she did have a mom upgrade.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: crazy sea inquisitor

Post by Akashic Soldier »

If you were, you'd have insanities. However, their bodies reject cybernetics so it would spit out your MoM implant along with your brain and then she'd be a dead Sea Inquisitor... but crazy for doing it still. :D
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Post by glitterboy2098 »

i would think insanities should have been automatic. traumatic experiances and all that.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Eclipse
Adventurer

Post by Eclipse »

You can have them have insanities if you're the player, why not? If you're the GM it's okay if you want to insist on that, so long as you make it clear beforehand. I thought that the class generally involved someone with a strong will having battled off insanity and the Lord of the Deep's assault, but I guess you could do it either way. Just don't cripple them too much.. that would suck.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
say652
Palladin

Post by say652 »

the original idea was a way to avoid insanities. i asked because i felt without the mom upgrade it would make a supernatural slaying ninja of sorts. with the insanities. well those are why they are called crazies right.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Post by Eclipse »

Oh I see.. I thought you meant a sea inquisitors that was actually insane, not one with m.o.m. implants..
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Looonatic
Adventurer

Post by Looonatic »

Insanities are what make a Crazy what he is. There are plenty of other OCCs that will give you that 'ninja' feel that you can pair up with the Sea Inquisitor. How about a Psi-slayer? The combination of Supernatural hunter and PPE feeder seems like a natural one to me.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
say652
Palladin

Post by say652 »

i wanted a female "JESTER" type npc. makeup a smile and totally whoop ass.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Post by Tor »

say652 wrote:would the charcter have insanities?
Crazies would. Sea Inquisitors generally would not, since they had strong enough wills to resist the attack. If any mortals could stare at The Dark unscathed I imagine it would be Apoks or Inquisitors.

say652 wrote:this idea came me as the whole being psionically assuaulted is traumatic so instead of a mom harness it basically turned this chick into a crazy.(cool backround i thought)
Crazies are not made that way, so I don't find that feasible. Also it's juicers who wear harnesses. Crazies have MOM implants in their brains which rewire them in a specific way. Trauma randomly doing this seems unlikely. A gene splicer might be able to manage it though.

say652 wrote:if the rules lawyers want to gripe i can write the history so she did have a mom upgrade.
I don't see anything that would prevent an Inquisitor from becoming a Juicer or a Crazy, although I expect they would be less likely to take that fast path to power since they're already incredibly powerful to begin with and would not want to sacrifice their lifespan or sanity, which could potentially shorten their careers in spite of the advantages.

Akashic Soldier wrote:their bodies reject cybernetics so it would spit out your MoM implant along with your brain and then she'd be a dead Sea Inquisitor
Akashic please stop inserting your house rules as canon. There's no indication that SIs reject cybernetics. They can even be adventurer OCCs like cyber-doc or city-rat who have cybernetics to begin with.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Post by Akashic Soldier »

Tor wrote:Akashic please stop inserting your house rules as canon. There's no indication that SIs reject cybernetics. They can even be adventurer OCCs like cyber-doc or city-rat who have cybernetics to begin with.

Its not house rules. I was assuming he meant the Sea Titan R.C.C. because the Sea Inquisitor is an O.C.C. and doesn't get to start with cybernetics. I was basing it off this:

Rifts: Underseas, page 115 wrote:Cannot get any! Their regeneration powers expel all cybernetic or bionic implants in 1D4 minutes.

Please don't accuse me of being one of those people that spread misinformation. I hate those people. However, if we are talking about a Sea Inquisitor that just implanted the M.O.M. technology into their head than I'd have to assume that the same thing happens whenever you implant anyone who was already psychic with M.O.M. technology. For that horrifying little tidbit, I refer readers to Mindwerks. I'd hate people to think I was throwing around more house rules as indisputable canon.

To answer the O/P's question though, officially no. You could however turn into any of the natural psychic O.C.C.s and simply have an insanity, or be compelled/driven to get a M.O.M. conversion to live with the horrors you'd beheld. I imagine that sort of thing happens a lot.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Mercdog
Hero

Post by Mercdog »

It is possible for a Sea Inquisitor to have insanities (especially if, as the player, it's something you desire), but I'd say it's unlikely for them to start with one considering one of their class abilities is essentially an automatic minimum M.E. of 18. I don't have the book to check, but IIRC, the minimum required M.E. is 10, and then they get a +8 O.C.C. bonus on top of that.

It's been a while, so I may be mistaken.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Post by Tor »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I was assuming he meant the Sea Titan R.C.C. because the Sea Inquisitor is an O.C.C. and doesn't get to start with cybernetics.
That's a very odd thing to assume, because even OCCs that do start off with cybernetics (Cyberdocs, City Rats) generally can't say "MOM implants" because they are not standard cybernetics, they are very invasive and changing things.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Post by say652 »

and with the mom implants you meet the requirements to become a sea Inquisitor.(not Sea Titan) so back to my original question, would the sea inquisitor ability of iron will shield the mind from insanities.
say652
Palladin

Post by say652 »

scrapped the concept. went with an oni ninja sea inquisitor instead. yup human yup good yup trained by an oni after the lord of the deep failed in dominating her mind. DEADPOST!!!!!!!
Tor
Palladin

Post by Tor »

say652 wrote:would the sea inquisitor ability of iron will shield the mind from insanities.
No, Iron will is manifested only by a high ME attribute. High MEs can make people resistant to insanity (some core books have ME give a bonus to savings throws versus insanity) but not immune to them.

Crazies don't get to make savings throws to avoid their insanities, so even a ME of 40 wouldn't do anything to hinder it. It's kind of like how a high PE gives saves versus disease and poison but isn't enough to save your body from being destroyed by the Juicer Bio-Comp over time. It just wears your body/brain out.

An Inquisitor-Crazy would be more resistant to random insanities outside of the mandatory ones Crazies must select, though, assuming you make savings throws for these.

The d20 savings versus Insanity thing is a bit vague and I don't recall if it was explained how that works. Generally there's just a percentile table someone rolls on to see if they get an insanity from a traumatic situation so I don't know how the ME bonus factors into it. You'd think if it was meant to modify a percentile and not a d20 it would be worded with % like the PE bonus vs coma is instead of being a straight plus like the PE bonus versus magic is.
Tor
Palladin

Post by Tor »

say652 wrote:would the sea inquisitor ability of iron will shield the mind from insanities.
No, Iron will is manifested only by a high ME attribute. High MEs can make people resistant to insanity (some core books have ME give a bonus to savings throws versus insanity) but not immune to them.

Crazies don't get to make savings throws to avoid their insanities, so even a ME of 40 wouldn't do anything to hinder it. It's kind of like how a high PE gives saves versus disease and poison but isn't enough to save your body from being destroyed by the Juicer Bio-Comp over time. It just wears your body/brain out.

An Inquisitor-Crazy would be more resistant to random insanities outside of the mandatory ones Crazies must select, though, assuming you make savings throws for these.

The d20 savings versus Insanity thing is a bit vague and I don't recall if it was explained how that works. Generally there's just a percentile table someone rolls on to see if they get an insanity from a traumatic situation so I don't know how the ME bonus factors into it. You'd think if it was meant to modify a percentile and not a d20 it would be worded with % like the PE bonus vs coma is instead of being a straight plus like the PE bonus versus magic is.

Gryphon wrote:A Sea Inquisitor is a Sea Inquisitor because they AREN'T insane, even when they really, really ought to be. It's a matter of being mutually exclusive.
Insanities aren't even mentioned under the OCC, nothing prevents an insane person from becoming a Sinquisitor nor is a Sinquisitor prevented from acquiring insanities.

Having a strong will to fight supernatural evil doesn't mean you're immune to being bothered by it. They're just very resistant since they get huge bonuses to their saves vs HF and stuff.

Gryphon wrote:The same force that makes a psionic of one sort or another into an Inquisitor would likely look at a Crazy and pass them over as decidedly unsuitable.
There is not an established 'force' that decides to make people into Inquisitors. Anyone (including non-psychics) can become one with a strong enough willpower. Doesn't say anything about excepting Crazies. About the only way to wiggle that is that Inquisitors can't select a Man at Arms OCC's related skills. By that logic, a Headhunter or Glitter Boy pilot couldn't become Inquisitors either, and a GM would probably let them.

Gryphon wrote:Similarly, the force that triggers the Inquisitor effect would likely look at a Crazy and pass them over as unsuitable because they are insane, unless they are evil, in which case the Lord of the Deep might use them anyhow.
There's nothing in the Inquisitor description that I recall which forbids people with insanities from becoming Inquisitors either. Where's this coming from?

say652 wrote:an oni ninja sea inquisitor instead. yup human yup good yup trained by an oni after the lord of the deep failed in dominating her mind.
If they were trained by an Oni Ninja AFTER the Lord of the Deep attacked, this might mean you would have to switch from the Sea Inquisitor OCC to the Oni Ninja RCC (I do recall the bit about them toying with teaching some of those skills to puny humans) and have them advance separately, as opposed to having them advance as a single OCC.

Although they might advance as 1 class if an Oni Ninja psychic RCC human was approached in a dream by ol' Kraken.

It's troublesome because the Sinquisitor OCC is not very clear on what it means by 'selecting the OCC/RCC related skills' of other classes. It's implied that you don't get the OCC skills, for example, but it does not address whether or not you get the abilities.

For all we know, someone who selects Mystic or Oni ninja would only get the 'related' skills but not the basic set skills or the special powers, lol.
say652
Palladin

Post by say652 »

i wanted a hand to hand based sea inquisitor. the oni ninja does that and with the isp base and awesome hand to handskillsfit rather nicely. the reason i chose a crazy at first was........you just got into a fist fight with a dragon hatchling,ARE YOU CRAZY!....well yes.
Tor
Palladin

Post by Tor »

Gryphon wrote:The nature if a Sea Inquisitor is that they are either a psychic of some level, apparently up to Master, and that the Lord of the Deep reaches out to and extends an offer of power, or simply torments in dreams for his own reasons, causing 2D6 days of insanity and a potential transformation to an Inquisitor. Optionally, it could be a non-psychic that merely encounters a minion or a Reaches and the contact cause a similar transformation to occur.
Yes, but the 'random encounter' thing can happen with psychics as well.

Gryphon wrote:Why would the Lord of the deep seriously want to invest any effort at all in a Crazy?
This assumes it's a Crazy getting contacted in their dreams and not an Inquisitor getting a Crazy conversion, but I'll bite. Crazies are physically more capable, already mentally vulnerable, and easier to corrupt. Their stability doesn't matter because Sea Cultists are not supposed to be stable long term: they are supposed to kill things to send the PPE to the Lord, and ultimately become food themselves.

Gryphon wrote:Even a Super Crazy really? What's to be gained by contacting a quack job with limited super powers, when the process might break them even further?
The process is sort of SUPPOSED to break them. Not to mention Crazies have above average PPE, which the Lord probably likes.

Gryphon wrote:they might not recover form this like most would, since insanity is writ large on their character types, and their implants might not react well to such an externally motivated high sanity stressor.
Implying they're meant to recover. Considering how the entire evolution over the years is to become someone who wants to be consumed by the Lord, one could argue that contributing to their sanity is not the Lord's aim.

Gryphon wrote:it would not be likely this would occur for no reason beyond they target is a loony. A focused insanity might prove useful to the LotD, but the sort of random insanity ascribed to Crazies? Not so much.
So long as it doesn't interfere with the worship and sacrifice to the Lord, what would the problem be?

Gryphon wrote:the book notes that there is either a very subtle force at work in the universe that is motivating and transforming some of those the LotD effects, making them Sea Inquisitors. Either this is true, or the other option, that this in an internal transformation occurs in some way.
All it says is that "some have speculated" about a "Higher Force". For all we know the speculators could've been crazies. It is baseless.

Gryphon wrote:If its true, why would this force that is making people over into Inquisitors want a Crazy as one of its "soldiers"?
Why wouldn't they?

Gryphon wrote:If its flash, what within the make up of a Crazy makes you think they would turn into an Inquisitor, rather than suddenly donning tights, a cape, and a mask with little antennae like feelers to stalk the seashore as "Hermit Crab Man! Protector of Innocent Shellfish Everywhere?!"
If it saves lives, whatever works.

Gryphon wrote:there is very little about a Crazy that would attract the LotD's attentions.
You're assuming he's picky. He probably isn't. He's looking for food. He's probably make as many as possible. The process by witch he contacts them may even be random. He contacts them in dreams, so he probably is randomly wandering the Dreamstream, only able to enter the Pools of Psychics.

Gryphon wrote:Any encounter with a Reaches or a Minion is going to have exactly zero chance to trigger the sort of insanity that would lead to the creation of an Inquisitor, since they already are insane, and not in an y connected manner really.
Insanity doesn't work that way. Crazies don't have any particular resistance to standard insanities that I'm aware of. Since when does being connected to reality make you MORE vulnerable to insanity?

Gryphon wrote:Lastly, presuming that the LotD WAS interested in a given crazy, and that that given Crazy did, for some strange reason, suffer the appropriate psychotic break (or whatever the proper medical term actually is), the "Force" that makes people into Inquisitors would have no real interest
Again though, this is pulled out of Thin Air. There is no evidence supporting the "Higher Force" proposal. It has less weight than Alistair Dunscon's foolhardy speculation about the Three Lords of Magic, because at least he's an accomplished mage, and even then he's BSing. For all we know this speculation is mere storytelling by vagabonds.

Gryphon wrote:IF there is no "Force" that does such a thing
I love how you emphasize IF as if it's a given that we should assume there is some Force powering these guys and that willpower alone couldn't accomplish it.

Gryphon wrote:Crazy and their MOM implants are the least likely source for such a transformation of character to occur, especially since Crazy = Insanities, and Inquisitor = Mentally solid like a lump of Granite! See? Mutual Exclusivity at work.
Inquisitors BECOME mentally solid. They gain their enhanced willpower AFTER and in response to their encounter with the Lord. It does not mean that they were particularly hardy to begin with, just hardy enough to survive intact. There's not even any attribute requirements. How they retain their sanity and reject the Call can be multifaceted.

Having insanities doesn't mean you can't be a Witch Finder, nor does it mean you are immune to insanity. I think you are guilty of stereotyping Crazies far too much based on the mental illnesses they accrue over time.

Return to “Rifts®”