Diabalism and aura

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zamion138
Hero

Diabalism and aura

Unread post by Zamion138 »

So this has probaly been covered but
if monster man is evil and has alter aura up and walks by an area effect premence ward for even color or light that sets off with evil near it......
Wich power wins ? do you sleeze past the runes or do they figure out your evil and turn blue or what not?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Diabalism and aura

Unread post by Tor »

Not sure what a monster man is, but I'm pretty sure alter aura only misleads those using the 'see aura' ability. There are ways besides looking at an aura to detect evil, so I don't think it would work against wards unless there's something specifying that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

alter aura only masks supernatural evil by means of aura. it dosn't mask it to any other means of detection. so the runes would activate.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zamion138
Hero

hmmm sounds like city guards in palladium need to hire diabalists more often.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Wait, what other means to detect Evil exist outside of the aura?

If the aura is the only way, then alter aura would totally deceive the wards.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zamion138
Hero

thats my question other than detect aura and mask aura demons could slip in to say ITOM with no problems but a ward can detect them no matter what ?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

well, there's "detect evil" for starters...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:well, there's "detect evil" for starters...

... or sense evil.

"Alter Aura" masks only the aura against spells/psi powers like "See Aura".
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Zamion138
Hero

detect evil though can fire off from mortal evil too, just any old evil.
So the barber that cheats his clients and hurts people when he gets board would set it off as easily as a bal-rog?

I was just mostly asking is there a way to hide from the effects of a rune patern for detect supernatrual evil or death or any other thing you can set it up for.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IIRC detect evil only detects mortals if they're really insane (Hannibal Lector insane) and about to commit an evil act right then.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Zamion138 wrote:detect evil though can fire off from mortal evil too, just any old evil.
So the barber that cheats his clients and hurts people when he gets board would set it off as easily as a bal-rog?

I was just mostly asking is there a way to hide from the effects of a rune patern for detect supernatrual evil or death or any other thing you can set it up for.

Nope. Rune allignment detection is completely infallible unless countered with another rune item. There is a runic mask discribed in one of the Rifts books that has the power to utterly mask the users alignment, other than that, no.

And yes, evil barbers set it off as readily as bal-rogs.

Zamion138
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:detect evil though can fire off from mortal evil too, just any old evil.

Nope. Rune allignment detection is completely infallible unless countered with another rune item. There is a runic mask discribed in one of the Rifts books that has the power to utterly mask the users alignment, other than that, no.

Side note im now adding evil barber to my next game.
Tyberius
Wanderer

Unread post by Tyberius »

...and he should have a shoppe on Fleet Street.
Zamion138
Hero

Tyberius wrote:...and he should have a shoppe on Fleet Street.

enlighten me to the refrence cuase im not getting it?
sorry.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Zamion138 wrote:
Tyberius wrote:...and he should have a shoppe on Fleet Street.

enlighten me to the refrence cuase im not getting it?
sorry.

Greetings and Salutations. I believe that's a reference to Sweeney Todd (The Demon Barber of Fleet Street). Hope that helps and that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Zamion138
Hero

it does alot and makes sense now....I havent seen that film though so thanks now i know.....and
Well you know ahhh well ahhh

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Nope. Rune allignment detection is completely infallible unless countered with another rune item. There is a runic mask discribed in one of the Rifts books that has the power to utterly mask the users alignment, other than that, no.

I know rune WEAPONS can detect the alignment of people holding them and trying to use them, but beyond that?

Also I think OP might have potentially misused the term 'rune'. He seems to be talking about a detect evil WARD. Diabolists can create runes as well as wards, but as far as I know that's only for making messages or making paper indestructible...

Even if wards are written in runes (maybe I forgot that) I don't think we should assume that wards have the same capability of rune weapons. They lack the sentient intelligence bonded within it, for one.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zamion138
Hero

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Nope. Rune allignment detection is completely infallible unless countered with another rune item. There is a runic mask discribed in one of the Rifts books that has the power to utterly mask the users alignment, other than that, no.

I know rune WEAPONS can detect the alignment of people holding them and trying to use them, but beyond that?

Also I think OP might have potentially misused the term 'rune'. He seems to be talking about a detect evil WARD. Diabolists can create runes as well as wards, but as far as I know that's only for making messages or making paper indestructible...

Even if wards are written in runes (maybe I forgot that) I don't think we should assume that wards have the same capability of rune weapons. They lack the sentient intelligence bonded within it, for one.

Your right i did mean wards, and ward with comands like " shock dwarf and elven blood" would be written in runes into a ward.
I was just think dialbalisom isnt so rare that I as the gate keeper wouldnt hessitate to pay for a rune on the ground or wall of my gate house........ just a basic color effect on a brick.....it shows up red green blue or yellow and what not depending on what walks through , blue=magic, green=evil, yellow=undead, ect. it at cannon prices would set you back as a town like 5k in gold to have a 4 or 5 effect pattern with a permency ward.... and if the diabalist was a local you might get it for cost or less .
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Zamion138 wrote:ward with comands like " shock dwarf and elven blood" would be written in runes into a ward.
Hm... I don't recall seeing runes for specific races (maybe 'dragon' or something) so I guess to affect those guys you'd need to spell out D-W-A-R-F or E-L-F or something like that using the rune alphabet?

It makes me wonder just how far these can be customized. Probably as far as making a ward only affect a single person if their true name is known.

But it makes me wonder, could I make a word say something like "only activate pain on Mrs. Smith if she is carrying a tray of fine china" ?
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Tor wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:ward with comands like " shock dwarf and elven blood" would be written in runes into a ward.
Hm... I don't recall seeing runes for specific races (maybe 'dragon' or something) so I guess to affect those guys you'd need to spell out D-W-A-R-F or E-L-F or something like that using the rune alphabet?

It makes me wonder just how far these can be customized. Probably as far as making a ward only affect a single person if their true name is known.

But it makes me wonder, could I make a word say something like "only activate pain on Mrs. Smith if she is carrying a tray of fine china" ?

The principles of magic being what they are, wards, even combined with runes, cannot be made to include or exclude a particular race, only alignment (which is considered a "force"), and a specific individual, but only if that person(s) true name is known and incorporated into the "ward phrase". PF, pg 123, top right paragraph.

Same paragraph also says:
"only evil characters using the rune character for darkness" and "men of magic with the magic/forces rune symbol".

Based on that, you could also combine those, and target evil magic users...

But no, no targeting the china tea set.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

A mind block will mask ones alignment, its mentioned under the sense evil psionic power (its the last sentence). PFRPG page 171.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:wards, even combined with runes, cannot be made to include or exclude a particular race, only alignment (which is considered a "force"), and a specific individual, but only if that person(s) true name is known and incorporated into the "ward phrase". PF, pg 123, top right paragraph.

Same paragraph also says: "only evil characters using the rune character for darkness" and "men of magic with the magic/forces rune symbol". Based on that, you could also combine those, and target evil magic users...

So the only use for the rune alphabet is in true names? Are individual people the only things with true names? Why can't I name a species or a tea pot?
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Tor wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:wards, even combined with runes, cannot be made to include or exclude a particular race, only alignment (which is considered a "force"), and a specific individual, but only if that person(s) true name is known and incorporated into the "ward phrase". PF, pg 123, top right paragraph.

Same paragraph also says: "only evil characters using the rune character for darkness" and "men of magic with the magic/forces rune symbol". Based on that, you could also combine those, and target evil magic users...

So the only use for the rune alphabet is in true names? Are individual people the only things with true names? Why can't I name a species or a tea pot?

The letters are used for true names, yes. The numbers are often used for setting up the sequence and delays on multiple condition ward chains...

There are other uses, though.. indestructible messages that can only be read by another diabolist... indestructible journals, spell tomes, books in general...
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”