how much damage does the sun do?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

how much damage does the sun do?

Unread post by BIBBI »

so I was reading the entry on the lord of the deep, and kogwar and I were trying to figure out a way to kill it, and he thought that you should just rift it to the sun, which raised the question. how much damage does the sun do? does anyone know where it can be found in any books or how to calculate it?
Zamion138
Hero

Re: how much damage does the sun do?

Unread post by Zamion138 »

A million nukes a second..so 1d4x100 x 1,000,000 ..... rifting the lord of the deep would be hard by the way as im sure he is able to redirect his dimensional travle in a rift to his home plane or a safer one.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

TheCrawlingMadness wrote:The munchkin in my campaigns will explode unshielded heads at 400 yards XD

mine just fall over from heart attacks. go figure :wink:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

As a GM, if my PCs are some how able to get past all of the minions, create a viable rift and then
are some how able to successfully throw a creature that is larger then some sky scrapers through
said rift to the sun then I would let them have their victory. Because by science that is going to be
difficult to pull off.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Even if a dragon is immune to the heat, the gravity at the surface of a star would crush them. Also, the lack of breathable atmosphere might be an issue.

Side question: Are stars considered high PPE environments? Would supernatural creatures remain MDC?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

CyberPaladin85 wrote:This sounds like something that would should appear in Knights of the Dinner Table comic.

B.A.: You engulf the planet in the sun, killing each and every last living thing on it. Happy now?

Bob: You didn't answer my question, how much damage did we nail that sucker for?

Actually they did indeed destroy at least one game world planet, killing everyone and were looking to see how much exp they got for it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

CyberPaladin85 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
CyberPaladin85 wrote:This sounds like something that would should appear in Knights of the Dinner Table comic.

B.A.: You engulf the planet in the sun, killing each and every last living thing on it. Happy now?

Bob: You didn't answer my question, how much damage did we nail that sucker for?

Actually they did indeed destroy at least one game world planet, killing everyone and were looking to see how much exp they got for it.

Heh, yeah, was that the one were Bob fired so many of those nukes he had because he had some sort of radiation suit on and couldn't get hurt from it (Dave (approx.): Dammit, random mutation AGAIN... hairy palms?! This sucks!), and B.A. basically says "screw it, the surface of the planet can take no more and it destabilizes into mantle," or another one?

BTW, B.A. has some of the WORST science knowledge I have ever read.

Could be, I don't remember the story in detail after all this time and well B.A. along with the rest represent various gaming achetypes and stereotypes so not surprising he's shown having some bad science knowledge.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

CyberPaladin85 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
CyberPaladin85 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Heh, yeah, was that the one were Bob fired so many of those nukes he had because he had some sort of radiation suit on and couldn't get hurt from it (Dave (approx.): Dammit, random mutation AGAIN... hairy palms?! This sucks!), and B.A. basically says "screw it, the surface of the planet can take no more and it destabilizes into mantle," or another one?

Could be, I don't remember the story in detail after all this time and well B.A. along with the rest represent various gaming achetypes and stereotypes so not surprising he's shown having some bad science knowledge.

B.A.: "Hydrogen is a RARE element, you can't just skim it off the water like cream in a mug of hot cocoa!" "The llama GORES you for..."

Well to be fair, you'd probably have trouble finding an average American, gamer or not, who knows that Hydrogen is the most abundant element, followed by helium. The llama though does seem to represent critical research failure, But then again the players DID attack a gazebo thinking it to be some sort of high-treasure monster.

Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

CyberPaladin85 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Actually, IIRC, in the game they were playing, each nuclear detonation added to an accumulative chance that the atmosphere would ignite and flash fry anything on the surface or some such, and B.A. rolled it.
He was just going by the rules. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Nightmask
Palladin

CyberPaladin85 wrote:Yes, the players. Not the GM. Who did not seem to make any attempt to explain what a "gazebo" actually was, only that it was stupid to attack it. Damn, the only on in that group I'd let at my game table is Sarah; she is welcome anytime, provide she asks ahead of time.

Now now, from the play of that story it comes off more that he just didn't want to hurt their feelings for why he didn't explain especially given he couldn't get a word in edge-wise as they all zerg rushed it. Every attempt to explain why it was stupid just had them more determined to attack it (much like every time he tried to ensure they'd head to a particular town to start the adventure just had them certain he was keeping something from them so they spent all their time hacking through a forest). It's not like B.A. has the best players around to talk to about things.

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

1 Lord of the Deep + 1 Uber Combatant = -1 Lord of the Deep + 3 crying children.

Its simple math, no need for the sun at all. :P
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

All of it. In my game, if something throws you into the sun, you're dead. If there is any doubt of this, the thermonuclear reactions that produce heat will destabilize your molecules and annhilate you. I don't care what your race is. I don't care what powers you have or what it says on your sheet. Demised. The end.
Nightmask
Palladin

CyberPaladin85 wrote:Which makes me wonder why he still hangs around with them OTHER than to advance the story.

Because in the end they're friends (just look at what the guys did after the female player got used by that one group of misogynist players) even if they do cause each other a measure of aggravation.

Nightmask
Palladin

Balabanto wrote:All of it. In my game, if something throws you into the sun, you're dead. If there is any doubt of this, the thermonuclear reactions that produce heat will destabilize your molecules and annhilate you. I don't care what your race is. I don't care what powers you have or what it says on your sheet. Demised. The end.

That's in contravention of the natures of some powers and races then because they would include immunity to harm from ending up in the sun. While most would take instant death levels of damage some are quite meant to tolerate it.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

This begs from me a couple side questions ..

1) - just how massive is Lord of the Deeps physical body ?

2) - Is not Lord of the Deep just a baby for his species ? (something like that ? )
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Balabanto wrote:All of it. In my game, if something throws you into the sun, you're dead. If there is any doubt of this, the thermonuclear reactions that produce heat will destabilize your molecules and annhilate you. I don't care what your race is. I don't care what powers you have or what it says on your sheet. Demised. The end.

That seems a bit harsh! After all if the Magic-User can throw up the right spells he should be able to survive, at least for a little while. :lol:

I'd also rule that a Cosmo Knight's immunity to energy-based attacks and radiation would extend to suns (though I may be remembering it wrong and I have loaned the book to a friend so I can't check). Not to mention the dreaded sun-eaters... if they can't get into a sun than how are they supposed to eat it?

Oh.. waitaminute... that's Superman not Rifts...

Still, point remains valid. :lol:
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Aren't there rules for how much damage being immersed in lava does, because if there is, I would multiply that by 1,000 for just the heat damage, and say 6d6 x 1,000 for the gravity damage.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

TheCrawlingMadness wrote:what about those immune to MD heat?

They'd probably be killed by the noise the sun makes (that's if the gravity doesn't get them first).

flatline wrote:Even if a dragon is immune to the heat, the gravity at the surface of a star would crush them. Also, the lack of breathable atmosphere might be an issue.

Side question: Are stars considered high PPE environments? Would supernatural creatures remain MDC?

--flatline

The only way they wouldn't be MDC creatures is to place them in one of the SDC games. Megaversal Builder touches on this topic.
Nightmask
Palladin

SamtheDagger wrote:For all intents and purposes, I would think being just on the surface of the sun (let alone inside it) would effectively deal infinite MDC from fire and gravity (impact) damage. A spell of legend specially designed or an ancient artifact from the First Race might allow one to remain there for 1 melee round... maybe.

But part of the problem of transporting someone to the center of the sun is that it either assumes that the sun is on a ley line (I do not believe Earth's sun is a ley line nexus in canon; Phase World is another dimension) or some very powerful teleportation magic the likes of which has not exactly been codified.

Either way, it would not ever happen in my games unless I decided to introduce an item or spell capable of doing it, in which case, it would be a means of annihilating an enemy. And let us be honest, there are easier ways.

Given the kinds of stats an alien intelligence has how can you find something easier than tossing it into a sun to kill it?

Akashic Soldier
Knight

There you have it a 1st level Shifter drawing P.P.E from his party can open a Rift TO THE SUN and throw our pet NPC's through with a successful grapple or throw attack.

What a pity. :lol:
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

SamtheDagger wrote:For all intents and purposes, I would think being just on the surface of the sun (let alone inside it) would effectively deal infinite MDC from fire and gravity (impact) damage. A spell of legend specially designed or an ancient artifact from the First Race might allow one to remain there for 1 melee round... maybe.

But part of the problem of transporting someone to the center of the sun is that it either assumes that the sun is on a ley line (I do not believe Earth's sun is a ley line nexus in canon; Phase World is another dimension) or some very powerful teleportation magic the likes of which has not exactly been codified.

Either way, it would not ever happen in my games unless I decided to introduce an item or spell capable of doing it, in which case, it would be a means of annihilating an enemy. And let us be honest, there are easier ways.

The Lord of The Deep cannot move to do so. See Ninjabunny, above. :)
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Akashic Soldier wrote:There you have it a 1st level Shifter drawing P.P.E from his party can open a Rift TO THE SUN and throw our pet NPC's through with a successful grapple or throw attack.

What a pity. :lol:

And the sudden burst of of heat from the other side of the rift incinerates all of your non-fire immune allies...
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Grell wrote:And the sudden burst of of heat from the other side of the rift incinerates all of your non-fire immune allies...

Read the alignment section on the Shifter in R:UE. ;)

Return to “Rifts®”