YOU = Mystically Bestowed by a ... Deevil or Demon ... YOU !

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pact" by a Deevil and/or Demon, which one would you go for ??

Deevil
No votes
Demon
20%
I'm greedy, Both !!
8%
Neigher, its a Deevil or Demon, you do not traffic with them dumby.
72%

Total votes: 25

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

If you was offered a "Pact" by a Deevil and/or Demon, which one would you go for ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: YOU = Mystically Bestowed by a ... Deevil or Demon ... YOU !

Unread post by Anthar »

Is this a "by the rules" Mystically Bestowed from Heroes Unlimited or just who would you choose if given a choice type of deal?
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

He means from Armageddon Unlimited, and it would seriously depend on the deal I was offered. I was working on a story involving a mystically bestowed character...by a Demon I think (I would have to look, it was some time ago I last worked on it). The deal involved him performing a single specific service for the empowering party. If he survived, he would keep the powers, if he failed, well the usual consequence of the demon getting his soul.
TechnoGothic
Knight

~ Arm.Unlimited ~
Your Visited by both a Deevil and a Demon. Each offer you "Power" if you sign a "Pact".
Which one do you choose ?

Deevils usually give less physical abilities.
Demons like to give Physical Abilities, usually.

Or do you try to work Both of them into giving you power, or just say Bugg Off evil guys... ???
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

I'd have to tell them to bug off then, whatever they want in exchange I'm sure it won't be worth it.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

That was the thing about the story, the character had pretty much nothing to lose, as he was about to be executed for a treason he did not commit. By taking the deal and doing what he was asked he could take revenge on those ultimately responsible for his situation...and he could not see any real harm to anyone else involved. Taking a deal depends greatly on the deal involved.

Mind you, there might well have been long term and far reaching consequences to his success. He would not know the effects on the Minion War of his mission...
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

AlanGunhouse wrote:That was the thing about the story, the character had pretty much nothing to lose, as he was about to be executed for a treason he did not commit. By taking the deal and doing what he was asked he could take revenge on those ultimately responsible for his situation...and he could not see any real harm to anyone else involved. Taking a deal depends greatly on the deal involved.

Mind you, there might well have been long term and far reaching consequences to his success. He would not know the effects on the Minion War of his mission...

Much like when Neron talked Blue Devil into taking out a power sub-station, insisting that it wouldn't really trouble anyone, but worded his bargain such that it actually resulted in the helicopter death of his long-time boss and friend and followed it up using that secret to set up her son to be damned as well. Sure it doesn't SEEM like it's going to be a problem, but they came up with the phrase 'the devil's in the details' for a reason.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

I find it interesting that no one choose deevils yet, except for the double choice. I suppose most realize that you can't really trust anything about the deevils but with demons at least you know where they stand even though you can't really trust them either.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

But I already am a demon. Where's my option? :(
TechnoGothic
Knight

The Beast wrote:But I already am a demon. Where's my option? :(

Heroic Hellion

Join A government task force to take down other supernaturals :twisted:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

:demon: Demons have some cooler options. Like 5 MAJOR SUPER ABILITIES :mrgreen:
The Beast

TechnoGothic wrote:
The Beast wrote:But I already am a demon. Where's my option? :(

Heroic Hellion

Join A government task force to take down other supernaturals :twisted:

:puke:
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

I voted no. Hell, no!

You'd be dealing with a being of pure evil, a wretched monster that expertly tempts you with false promises of power, a despicable, pitiless beast whose only joy is in the crushing of your very soul!

Or a 'GM', as they prefer to be known. Ba-dum tssh! :P

On a related topic, exactly how powerful does a supernatural being have to be to Mystically Bestow powers? Is it mentioned in Armageddon Unlimited, 'cause if so I missed it? Could some of the immortals from Powers Unlimited 2 do it (demon lord/godling/avatar of a god)? What are the limits (if any) on the number of beings that can be empowered?
TechnoGothic
Knight

@ Beast, what you dislike Hellboy comics or movies ? lol

@ Senator Cybus. They have to be demonic/Deevil God-level characters i believe.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:That was the thing about the story, the character had pretty much nothing to lose, as he was about to be executed for a treason he did not commit. By taking the deal and doing what he was asked he could take revenge on those ultimately responsible for his situation...and he could not see any real harm to anyone else involved. Taking a deal depends greatly on the deal involved.

Much like when Neron talked Blue Devil into taking out a power sub-station, insisting that it wouldn't really trouble anyone, but worded his bargain such that it actually resulted in the helicopter death of his long-time boss and friend and followed it up using that secret to set up her son to be damned as well. Sure it doesn't SEEM like it's going to be a problem, but they came up with the phrase 'the devil's in the details' for a reason.

Precisely right. In the case of the story, the mission would probably have a major impact on the Minion War...and even if that has no direct or immediate effect on his world, in the long term it probably would effect the entire megaverse.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

TechnoGothic wrote:@ Senator Cybus. They have to be demonic/Deevil God-level characters i believe.

Right. Are there any official rules about this sort of thing, though? Is there a specific deity-level power in a sourcebook somewhere?

I know in the main H.U. book it's hand-waved away (if the player wants a Mystically Bestowed character, s/he can just have one), but is there any guidance about how many super beings could be created in this way by a supernatural entity? Could they have dozens/hundreds/thousands if they saw fit, or would they only be able to manage one per realm-in-which-they-have-influence? Also, can a Mystic Bestowal be immediately cancelled if the patron deity desires it or would there be any kind of saving throw or other way to resist? Could a sufficiently powerful mortal mage use some kind of Spell of Legend to force a Mystic Bestowal, linking themself or another to a god like a kind of theological tick?

This has just got me thinking about a potential character concept and if there is an offical rule, or if anyone has an opinion, I'd like to hear it.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Been screwed by them on too many occasions to accept a bribe or 'deal'... I voted 'no' to both.
The Beast

TechnoGothic wrote:@ Beast, what you dislike Hellboy comics or movies ? lol

I only saw the movies in pieces, and didn't really like what I saw of either one.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Senator Cybus wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:@ Senator Cybus. They have to be demonic/Deevil God-level characters i believe.

Right. Are there any official rules about this sort of thing, though? Is there a specific deity-level power in a sourcebook somewhere?

I know in the main H.U. book it's hand-waved away (if the player wants a Mystically Bestowed character, s/he can just have one), but is there any guidance about how many super beings could be created in this way by a supernatural entity? Could they have dozens/hundreds/thousands if they saw fit, or would they only be able to manage one per realm-in-which-they-have-influence? Also, can a Mystic Bestowal be immediately cancelled if the patron deity desires it or would there be any kind of saving throw or other way to resist? Could a sufficiently powerful mortal mage use some kind of Spell of Legend to force a Mystic Bestowal, linking themself or another to a god like a kind of theological tick?

This has just got me thinking about a potential character concept and if there is an offical rule, or if anyone has an opinion, I'd like to hear it.

No hard and fast rules for the person giving the powers. Just what you get for being chosen for the job/gifts.

Anything else is up to the GM it seems. Who, why, how, etc...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Hmm, IDK, imagine some thing like the 6th season of Supernatural, where Heaven is in chaos so even some "free" angels can/will make bargains for peoples souls.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

In basic, it is the same rules as who can make a greater pact with a witch.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

First off Hellboy is born as a demon-like creature, no choice on his part at all. He does not transform into a demon or monster or hero. So not bestowed at all.

Second ummmm HEROES UNLIMITED if you make a deal with a creature knowing what it is and doing so of your freewill I would say not really heroic, but to each his own.

Personally I really like the character type, so much you could do with it. Power ranger type characters fit really well into this and I think sailormoon would as well as some other anime titles. Not saying I like either show, but you can get ideas from odd places if you are open to them.

:shock:
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Daniel2112 wrote:
boxee wrote:Second ummmm HEROES UNLIMITED if you make a deal with a creature knowing what it is and doing so of your freewill I would say not really heroic, but to each his own.

Heroes, yes, but also Unlimited. As such, you have to include your Ghost Riders and Spawns with your lily white Supermans and Captain Marvels.

True but they should be the exception, not the rule. I think the bad monster "hero" thing has been overdone. It can be fun, but seems overdone.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Daniel2112 wrote:
I quite agree. I like a lot of the "bad monster heroes", Hellboy in particular, but it's become cliched.

You have no idea. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DpANYoLKQ

And no gnarly demon powers for me, either. Just call me Prince Ashitaka. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Mononoke_hime_cgi.png
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
AlanGunhouse
Champion

The fact is, no matter what kind of hero (origin wise) someone is playing, the creation of a good character requires a mature player.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Sorry, these deals only seem good at first or for a little time, then it's an eternity of being screwed and constantly played for a way out or losing someone you care about. I'll tell both to bugger off and hope I'm the one the forces of light are watching to make a better deal if I refuse theirs!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Well, part of the deal was being rescued from certain death only a short time in the future, as he was scheduled for execution later the same day (for a crime he really did not do).
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Lord_Dalgard wrote:
Daniel2112 wrote:
I quite agree. I like a lot of the "bad monster heroes", Hellboy in particular, but it's become cliched.

You have no idea. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DpANYoLKQ

And no gnarly demon powers for me, either. Just call me Prince Ashitaka. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Mononoke_hime_cgi.png

AWSOME!!!!
TechnoGothic
Knight

boxee wrote:First off Hellboy is born as a demon-like creature, no choice on his part at all. He does not transform into a demon or monster or hero. So not bestowed at all.

Second ummmm HEROES UNLIMITED if you make a deal with a creature knowing what it is and doing so of your freewill I would say not really heroic, but to each his own.

Personally I really like the character type, so much you could do with it. Power ranger type characters fit really well into this and I think sailormoon would as well as some other anime titles. Not saying I like either show, but you can get ideas from odd places if you are open to them.

:shock:

Hellboy would be a Heroic Hellion. Good Demon.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Ixnay on the onversions-kay!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

One thing I'm kinda surprised about is that the Mystically Bestowed from good sources isn't quite as potent, or simply not as 'cool' as the hellspawned ones. I understand that at times you have to fight a greater opponent, but you'd think that the good guys bestowing weapons or powers could cough up more perks.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

DtMK wrote:One thing I'm kinda surprised about is that the Mystically Bestowed from good sources isn't quite as potent, or simply not as 'cool' as the hellspawned ones. I understand that at times you have to fight a greater opponent, but you'd think that the good guys bestowing weapons or powers could cough up more perks.

Yes, you'd think if anyone would be stingy it'd be the evil dudes rather than the good ones.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Possibly the evil powers are greater because they are designed to tempt greedy people?
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Perhaps, but let's say you have someone on the fence, who is capable of being good, but could turn as well. The forces of darkness present their case, appealing to the base desires and able to grant power. Then the forces of light rebuttal but the only thing they can offer at best is less than half the power the Demon Lord offered, but a pat on the back for telling him he'd be on the right side? Less powers but doing the right thing versus more power and a possible loophole out of his deal later? Come on!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I dont have the new book. I agree the class seems like an after thought, I think it deserves a good rewrite. With just a little work it could be a really great class.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i'd definitely take the demon's deal over the deevil's. they may be jerks, but you know how big a jerk they are, and in what ways.

edit: this of course takes into account that the deal offered is a reasonable one, and not something like giving up my free will and such.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”