Familliars

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Matarael
D-Bee

Familliars

Unread post by Matarael »

Query: Where are the rules for having familliars in Rifts?
Can all magic users get them, or is it a limited number of classes?

Thanks
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Familliars

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In Rifts canon, there is only one way to get a familiar. That is through the "familiar link" spell. This can be found on page 128 of the RBoM Or on page 217 in RUE.

The NB:TtGD book has a different way, for a mage, to get a familiar. This way was built on/expandid in one of the rifters.

It is limited to those mages who know the "familiar link" spell.
It might be possible, if your GM allows it for the use of a "familiar link" spell scroll to be used to get a familiar.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Matarael
D-Bee

Unread post by Matarael »

I have a player who is just a regular magic using oCC , who is claiming they are able to have a sentient familliar that can cast spells and use psionics the like -- kind of like the avian biomechs that shifters can use and such.

The OCC, I believe, is an Obsidian Spell Thief.

I need to find the actual rules for it, so I can def. say this is not possible. Really wondering what is going on.

I assumed those were shifter only . . it's not an avian biomech, all I know is that it's sentient.

Just seems.... wrong?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Matarael wrote:I have a player who is just a regular magic using oCC , who is claiming they are able to have a sentient familliar that can cast spells and use psionics the like -- kind of like the avian biomechs that shifters can use and such.

I need to find the actual rules for it, so I can def. say this is not possible. Really wondering what is going on.

I assumed those were shifter only . . it's not an avian biomech, all I know is that it's sentient.

Just seems.... wrong?

Put the burdeon of proof on the player. He should be able to cite the book and page number. Have him produce his source.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In Rifts canon, there is only one way to get a familiar. That is through the "familiar link" spell. This can be found on page 128 of the RBoM Or on page 217 in RUE.

The NB:TtGD book has a different way, for a mage, to get a familiar. This way was built on/expandid in one of the rifters.

It might be possible, if your GM allows it for the use of a "familiar link" spell scroll to be used to get a familiar.

incorrect the new version of the federation of magic has additional info about dweoner
there is shop where you can pay a shopkeeper to cast a version of the familar link for you
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

csbioborg wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In Rifts canon, there is only one way to get a familiar. That is through the "familiar link" spell. This can be found on page 128 of the RBoM Or on page 217 in RUE.

The NB:TtGD book has a different way, for a mage, to get a familiar. This way was built on/expanded in one of the rifters.

incorrect the new version of the federation of magic has additional info about dweoner
there is shop where you can pay a shopkeeper to cast a version of the familiar link for you

thank you for posting the exception. But you'd have to go to That magic shop to do have that happen, if you are playing an A-R pure Rifts canon game. Because that version of FL is not in the canon.

Matarael wrote:I have a player who is just a regular magic using oCC , who is claiming they are able to have a sentient familiar that can cast spells and use psionics the like -- kind of like the avian biomechs that shifters can use and such.

Just seems.... wrong?

Under the familiar rules in NB:TtGD the familiar can be 'enhanced' to be sentient. But the base animal has to be non-sentient.

In the one of the Rifters, read: optional material, it does talk about getting Bio-mechs as familiars, but the mage still has to pay for the IQ as if they boosted the animal from non-sentience.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
csbioborg wrote:

The NB:TtGD book has a different way, for a mage, to get a familiar. This way was built on/expanded in one of the rifters.

there is shop where you can pay a shopkeeper to cast a version of the familiar link for you

thank you for posting the exception. But you'd have to go to That magic shop to do have that happen, if you are playing an A-R pure Rifts canon game. Because that version of FL is not in the canon.

Matarael wrote:I have a player who is just a regular magic using oCC , who is claiming they are able to have a sentient familiar that can cast spells and use psionics the like -- kind of like the avian biomechs that shifters can use and such.

Just seems.... wrong?

Under the familiar rules in NB:TtGD the familiar can be 'enhanced' to be sentient. But the base animal has to be non-sentient.

In the one of the Rifters, read: optional material, it does talk about getting Bio-mechs as familiars, but the mage still has to pay for the IQ as if they boosted the animal from non-sentience.

It's possible to select one of several 'special' familiars in Nightbane's Through The Glass Darkly that are in fact sentient from the start (don't be asking your Night Gnome familiar if memory serves where the ingredients for dinner came from).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Matarael wrote:I have a player who is just a regular magic using oCC , who is claiming they are able to have a sentient familliar that can cast spells and use psionics the like -- kind of like the avian biomechs that shifters can use and such.

Just seems.... wrong?
As I said in the other Thread, I believe that your Player has 'purloined' Familiar Creation Rules from PFRPG.

Technically, you could as GM block them from having access to that information on Rifts Earth.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Familiar link's main restriction is the weight of the prospective familiar. You could bind a magical or psychic animal so long as it is 25 pounds or less. The Megaverse builders guidebook has some advanced familiars in it.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

rat_bastard wrote:Familiar link's main restriction is the weight of the prospective familiar. You could bind a magical or psychic animal so long as it is 25 pounds or less. The Megaverse builders guidebook has some advanced familiars in it.

He knows of these familiars as he cited the "AVian Biomech" as the familiar which is found in those books.
I think the question he is trying to ask is "Are those familiars restricted to Shifters or anyone with the Familiar Link spell?"

I'd say no.

Return to “Rifts®”