New Power Categories

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

89er
Adventurer

New Power Categories

Unread post by 89er »

Here you can post any Power Catagory that you have made or want to make.

oh, and any who want to work on a power catagory with me, I'm more than welcome.

Hopfully these will be put into the Black Valut.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: New Power Categories

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

People are free to join up and post things there so long as they follow the procedures to do so and rules for posting. I would like to see what people come up with. The categories I created some while back appear in the New Powers thread and are listed in the Black Vault wiki, and more are certainly welcome.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

All right, so some of the Power Categories I have been working on and am willing to share with are:
Abducted:
“All I remember are some green lights, a grating sound, and next thing I know, I have these “power.”
The Hero was taken by beings from another world and experimented on, only to be returned for purposes unknown. The person’s life has never been the same since.

(Haunted or Cursed) Artifact:
“Everywhere I go, it goes. One time I left it on a flight headed to Alaska. When I got home, it was on my desk. But the worst is when it talks to me.”
The Hero has been found by an object that intends to use the person for their own means in exchange for power. No matter how hard she try to get rid of the object, it will always come back to her.

Allied:
“I won’t fight you but my friend will.”
The Hero has no powers except for a rare psychic link with a being that servers as guardian and friend of the hero. Think like pokemon, only with superheroes.

Meta-Remote
“Let’s see, super speed to find the doctor, night vision to see where I’m going, and Flight just for kicks.”
The Hero is linked to a system that relays from a source to the hero to give him abilities via molecular rearrgeament, in essence, Superpowers on demand.

Intrested?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

These are just more specific versions of Experiment, Magic Weapon and Symbiote. I see nothing in them that seems all that original or different.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:These are just more specific versions of Experiment, Magic Weapon and Symbiote. I see nothing in them that seems all that original or different.

Agreed. I hate to say it, but the books have most of the bases covered. :)

They were cool ideas, but still variations on existing themes.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Actually I would like to see updates to Physical Training and Special Training categories. We have enough superpowers to go around imo.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Sureshot wrote:Actually I would like to see updates to Physical Training and Special Training categories. We have enough superpowers to go around imo.

Additional Special Training Categories

Additional Physical Training Focuses
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

It would be neat to see something that emuates a galactic police corp like the Green Lantern Corps. There hasn't been any tech or magic that can create somthing similar in HU, not wihout a whole lot of tweaking.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Anthar wrote:It would be neat to see something that emuates a galactic police corp like the Green Lantern Corps. There hasn't been any tech or magic that can create somthing similar in HU, not wihout a whole lot of tweaking.

Galactic Police Force? - TMC in Aliens Unlimited and Galaxy Guide
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Anthar wrote:It would be neat to see something that emuates a galactic police corp like the Green Lantern Corps. There hasn't been any tech or magic that can create somthing similar in HU, not wihout a whole lot of tweaking.

Galactic Police Force? - TMC in Aliens Unlimited and Galaxy Guide

Yes, but they use just standard galactic equipment.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Actually I would like to see updates to Physical Training and Special Training categories. We have enough superpowers to go around imo.

Additional Special Training Categories

Additional Physical Training Focuses

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

If you bring the Cosmo-Knights over,and convert them to SDC,they might work.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I was tinkering with a Galactic level police force once by using the spell Immure Entity(which can now be used with other energy beings at a higher spell cost) and the UFONauts from BtS 1E. Imagine wearing a bracelet or cestus that covered you witn an energy field making you impervious to normal physical attacks, allowing you to fly at Mach 5 in an atmosphere, withstanding ocean pressures, and some psychic powers 5 times greater than a 15'th level psionic!

Here's a thought for a power category, or at least a variation on existing ones. What about beings that are a variation of Mystically Bestowed the same way Supersoldiers are variant Experiments? My variation: Beings who have PERMANENTLY been granted powers of certain spells, especially exotic spells. What if someone permanently had the ability of Metamorphosis: Dragon or Fourth Dimensional Transformation? You'd have characters that border on comic book level abilities then! And I mean the BIG boys whom I'm reluctant to mention here for fear of the thread being locked over conversions.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Couldn't using OCC's from other games like Rifts be used for the Special Training Category? Special Training Classes eem to be the closest thing to a classic OCC there is in HU2.

Example - A cyber knight could be a special trainign character (sans extra psionics)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Mephisto wrote:Cosmic Police could get carried away pretty quickly, unless you are playing a very high level and high powered game.

The Green Lantern Corp. is pretty powerful too, so it's a good comparison.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

I used the cosmo knight as an NPC in HU, as the story goes, any planet as chaotic as HU gets a cosmo knight assigned as a protector of the planet. he was sort of the Supes of the game. the knights presence alone attracted all sorts of galactic heroes and villains. and if he was ever killed another would be chosen to replace him. it was great.
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

I like using all the psychics and magi from the rifters, psyscape and federation of magic books in HU, just replace the skills with an education from earth unless thier rifted in, the mdc to sdc is an easy conversion too.

Mystic knight - special training
song juicers - mystically bestowed or special training
adrenaline juicer - mutant
cyber knight - special training
gladiator - physical training

all the dee bees from all the rifts books, especially deebees of north america make great alien power category characters

same with the races from rifts conversion book one, aliens and immortals to spare
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mystic Knights are not 'special training', because the 'apprentice' has to be a budding "Mystic" char.
They would fall under the Magic power Cat. However, I'm not sure which sub cat they would fall into. This would be an instance that you 'd have to invent a new sub cat to fit it into the setting.
The Song juicer would be in the magic power cat too, but they could be squeezed into the bestowed sub cat.

Adrenaline juicer? (where be that?) or is this a 'normal' juicer?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

The adrenaline juicer is in one of the rifters, not sure which. there like minor mutants in rifts that have natural adrenaline rushes that give it abilities simillar to a weak juicer. Some but not all have psychic abilities. thats why i said mutant and not psychic. id say their on par with the natural genius in pu2 as far as power level goes.

i dont remember reading that the mystic knight had to be a budding mystic. but i do remember them being trained, blood orgy, meditation, then poof ... powers.

and I agree, we need a mystic subcategory in either the magic or psychic power category in HU
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

How about......[please forgive the rough draft here]

Time displaced:
the character comes from a future timeline and has come to our time for a variety of reasons.
Normal stuff: SDC 20
Reason for coming back:
* accident: swept up against his will and deposited
* Mission: has been sent back in order to ensure an event takes place or prevent an event from taking place. This is a one way trip
* Tourist: came back to have a covert look see, but has become stranded
* observer: time police have sent you to this time to keep wary of other time travellers meddling in this era.
* refugee: you have used a time machne to get to our time and escape a possible worse fate in your own.

Timeline:
* Utopian future. the place is wonderful, which begs the question, why did you ever leave. +1D4 to PE and PB and +2D6 to SDC.
* Despotic utopia: like the regular utopic future, only it is ruled by an iron fist by despots. +5% to rogue OR mechanical skills
* Post apocolyptic: your future is a nightmare, destroyed by aliens, natural disater, atomic or biolgical warfare or combinations of all three. +20 SDC and one WP of choice.
* Cyberpunk: your future is advanced, but not necessarilly good. technology is high, but vast masses of people live below the poverty line, right next door to high rise corporations. +5% to rogue and computer skills.
* Reformed earth: you are from a future that has abandoned cities and returned to a more pastoral and agrarian way of life. you are not backward or primitive, but you do disdain 'dirty' technology. +2 to PS and PE +10 to SDC.

Powers and abilities:
* Cyborg. has 1D4+2 million dollars worth of bionics and cybernetic parts. may purchase options from aliens unlimted and the galaxy guide.
* Perfect specimen: Gains 1D4+1 million dollars of eugenics upgrades. do not roll for side effects, but you must appear human looking.
* Mutant: roll as per normal.
* Psychic: roll as a latent psychic, but add a bonus of +1D4 to IQ, ME and MA.
* gadgeteer: roll as a hardware or genius character. add 15% to total budget and utilise equipment from galaxy guide.

Knowledge of our time:
* Good. has an equivilent history skill of 88% -2% per level. speaks the local language and has a working knowledge of our time and culture.
* Fair. has an equivilent history skill of 70% -2% per level. speaks the local language but is strangely accented. occasionally makes gaffs regarding local customs
* Average. has an equivilent hisotry skill of 65% -3% per level. can communicate, but has an odd accent and makes regular mistakes about our way of life and wher he is in the timeline
* Poor: has an equivilent history skill of 45% -3% per level. has trouble communicating with people from our time. makes regular mistakes and is almost completely ignorant of our customs and social mores.
(Why does the history skill go down?: fundamentally, the character comes to our time with an idea of what his history books tell him. the more time he spends here, the more muddled the future begins to look. he may subtly or overtly be changing the future he may remember, and thusly, the more time he spends in our time, the less correct his knowledge of the future is)

How far in the future has the character arrived from:
* 2D10 Years. his younger self could be walking around in the here and now. +30% to history skill
* 1D4x10+10 years. +20% to history skill
* 2D4x10+20 years. +10% to history skill
* 1D100 +25 years +0% to history skill
* 2D100 +100 years -15% to history skill
* 5D100 +250 years -30% to history skill

Equipment:
1D4x$10000 worth of future tech. remember batteries, powerpacks and spare parts are yet to be invented. equipment may be pulled from aliens unlimited and galaxy guide (and if available, phase world. remember HU remains an SDC environment. please consult your DM if MDC persists)

Just an idea.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

that time time displaced is a really cool category and i can definately see it as its own. when i use it ill let you know and post it.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mephisto wrote:Cosmic Police could get carried away pretty quickly, unless you are playing a very high level and high powered game.

Palladium has crossed that particular line already. It's not a stretch to keep going.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Linked powers.

The characters powers are derived from a source, which limits the character's activities and distance.

* Random roll for how far the character can travel and still keep powers
* random roll for how much control the source allows the character
* Random roll for number of powers (Natch)
* random roll for source (magical obelisk, small nation, Aperture in time and space, an ancient oak, A giant sentient brain living under Manhatten, a cosmic power reactor etc etc)

Multipower:

The character has access to a lot of powers, but not all at once, and has to perform specific actions to swap out.

* random roll as to how many powers the character has. (not many)
* random roll to see how many 'reserve powers' are left. player assigns these to existing powers and can 'dial' them back and forth.

Elemental:

The character doesn't have powers per se, but has an alternate form, similiar to an APS. this form graduates from level to level, gaining obscure elemental themed bonuses.
* Robert has a copper form that grants increased strength, sdc and AR. He spends elemental points gained each level to gain improvements to these, from a specific list.
a similiar theme could be a guy who has an animal totem, which improves (added Bio-E) every level

Boosted by encounters

The character has a baseline set of abilities, but achieves more when faced by more dangerous opponents.
* random roll as to what sets off the scale. HF (scary monsters make him more powerful) . level of enemy (high level foes trigger. also megaheroes) . environmental damage. (stronger when in a volcanic pit, the deeps of space or in the irradiated zone of another mutant, during earthquakes etc)

Magical aumentation:

The character can scribe mystic symbols, like a poor mans ritualist wizard, but also has a number of runes or symbols on his body that have distinct magical effects. Probably steals a bit much from tattoo masters though.

The replaced:

The character is not human, he's a replacement human.
* Random roll for type (Clone, farie doppelganger, mirror version etc) and what powers they may posess (the clone may just be super strong and tough, the mirror version may have his opposite's abilities (or ..the opposite of his opposite's abilities) the fae creature may have some magic.
* Roll to see the status of his original (alive, dead, aware of the character etc)
* Roll to see if the character even knows his own origins

Ki master
The character is a martial artist, with a number of heightened chi abilities. steals a lot from N&SS I know and overlaps a lot with the ancient master. trying to be more of a martial arts/psychic
* Normal level in Martial arts (or assasin)
* very broad chi abilities. maybe a big list or a smaller list that grows with level.

Super vampire
The character has a collection of super powers (or other abilitties) but is driven to feed.
* check for type of feeding. Blood, super powered energy, direct HP, dreams, a specific attribute.
* check for the immediate and long term benefits of feeding.
* small list of special abilities that are 'always on' and another small list ofabilities that only work 'when fed'

Thats all I have for now.

Batts
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Iczer wrote:How about......[please forgive the rough draft here]

Time displaced:
the character comes from a future timeline and has come to our time for a variety of reasons.
Normal stuff: SDC 20
Reason for coming back:
* accident: swept up against his will and deposited
* Mission: has been sent back in order to ensure an event takes place or prevent an event from taking place. This is a one way trip
* Tourist: came back to have a covert look see, but has become stranded
* observer: time police have sent you to this time to keep wary of other time travellers meddling in this era.
* refugee: you have used a time machne to get to our time and escape a possible worse fate in your own.

Timeline:
* Utopian future. the place is wonderful, which begs the question, why did you ever leave. +1D4 to PE and PB and +2D6 to SDC.
* Despotic utopia: like the regular utopic future, only it is ruled by an iron fist by despots. +5% to rogue OR mechanical skills
* Post apocolyptic: your future is a nightmare, destroyed by aliens, natural disater, atomic or biolgical warfare or combinations of all three. +20 SDC and one WP of choice.
* Cyberpunk: your future is advanced, but not necessarilly good. technology is high, but vast masses of people live below the poverty line, right next door to high rise corporations. +5% to rogue and computer skills.
* Reformed earth: you are from a future that has abandoned cities and returned to a more pastoral and agrarian way of life. you are not backward or primitive, but you do disdain 'dirty' technology. +2 to PS and PE +10 to SDC.

Powers and abilities:
* Cyborg. has 1D4+2 million dollars worth of bionics and cybernetic parts. may purchase options from aliens unlimted and the galaxy guide.
* Perfect specimen: Gains 1D4+1 million dollars of eugenics upgrades. do not roll for side effects, but you must appear human looking.
* Mutant: roll as per normal.
* Psychic: roll as a latent psychic, but add a bonus of +1D4 to IQ, ME and MA.
* gadgeteer: roll as a hardware or genius character. add 15% to total budget and utilise equipment from galaxy guide.

Knowledge of our time:
* Good. has an equivilent history skill of 88% -2% per level. speaks the local language and has a working knowledge of our time and culture.
* Fair. has an equivilent history skill of 70% -2% per level. speaks the local language but is strangely accented. occasionally makes gaffs regarding local customs
* Average. has an equivilent hisotry skill of 65% -3% per level. can communicate, but has an odd accent and makes regular mistakes about our way of life and wher he is in the timeline
* Poor: has an equivilent history skill of 45% -3% per level. has trouble communicating with people from our time. makes regular mistakes and is almost completely ignorant of our customs and social mores.
(Why does the history skill go down?: fundamentally, the character comes to our time with an idea of what his history books tell him. the more time he spends here, the more muddled the future begins to look. he may subtly or overtly be changing the future he may remember, and thusly, the more time he spends in our time, the less correct his knowledge of the future is)

How far in the future has the character arrived from:
* 2D10 Years. his younger self could be walking around in the here and now. +30% to history skill
* 1D4x10+10 years. +20% to history skill
* 2D4x10+20 years. +10% to history skill
* 1D100 +25 years +0% to history skill
* 2D100 +100 years -15% to history skill
* 5D100 +250 years -30% to history skill

Equipment:
1D4x$10000 worth of future tech. remember batteries, powerpacks and spare parts are yet to be invented. equipment may be pulled from aliens unlimited and galaxy guide (and if available, phase world. remember HU remains an SDC environment. please consult your DM if MDC persists)

Just an idea.

Batts

Im surprised you didnt just do a complete copy and paste from my site.
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

89er wrote:All right, so some of the Power Categories I have been working on and am willing to share with are:
Abducted:
“All I remember are some green lights, a grating sound, and next thing I know, I have these “power.”
The Hero was taken by beings from another world and experimented on, only to be returned for purposes unknown. The person’s life has never been the same since.

(Haunted or Cursed) Artifact:
“Everywhere I go, it goes. One time I left it on a flight headed to Alaska. When I got home, it was on my desk. But the worst is when it talks to me.”
The Hero has been found by an object that intends to use the person for their own means in exchange for power. No matter how hard she try to get rid of the object, it will always come back to her.

Allied:
“I won’t fight you but my friend will.”
The Hero has no powers except for a rare psychic link with a being that servers as guardian and friend of the hero. Think like pokemon, only with superheroes.

Meta-Remote
“Let’s see, super speed to find the doctor, night vision to see where I’m going, and Flight just for kicks.”
The Hero is linked to a system that relays from a source to the hero to give him abilities via molecular rearrgeament, in essence, Superpowers on demand.

Intrested?

Now see, this is how its done. A word for word copy from my site and then claiming all credit for it despite having written none of it.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Until I received verification that some of these posts are not "stolen" or plagerised from another site, this thread shall now remain locked.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Myself and another individual [who can name themselves if they wish] have reviewed these "allegations" and have not found anything that supports them.
If you, Marcantony wish to dispute this finding, please contact me here via PM or via email nmi [at]thedeificnmi [dot] com
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

YAY!

I did think of one other

Billionaire playboy

Decent skillset. access to exotic fighting styles. Very high, and possibly very detailed private holdings that determine what special access to equipment he has
(rolling and getting 'Pharmaceuticals' could give the character access to a chain of chemists, including access to some top scientistsm and performance enhancing drugs, while 'military projects' may net you a small urban tank)

and lots of money. the character has a 'net worth' followed by a variable discretionary budget (for spendings) followed by a list of holdings. special equipment is derived directly from holdings, though his large budget will mean easy access to other objects through regular expenditure (though hiding the paper trail would be necessary)

Or....

Urban vigillante

like the hunter/vigillante, but removing the obvious wilderness focus, and concentrating on skill that play to outwitting and outmanouvering foes. special combat tricks such as bypassing armour, rolling with otherwise deadly blows, getting too close for opponents too use ranged attacks effectively, blending with shadows, using fear and suprise etc...

Batts
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

I wish to apoligize to Marcantony for plagerism and not giving credit to him. :( :( :oops: He has an amazing site.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

89er wrote:I wish to apoligize to Marcantony for plagerism and not giving credit to him. :( :( :oops: He has an amazing site.

It is best if you only suggest ideas you have created yourself.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Iczer wrote:Elemental:

The character doesn't have powers per se, but has an alternate form, similiar to an APS. this form graduates from level to level, gaining obscure elemental themed bonuses.
* Robert has a copper form that grants increased strength, sdc and AR. He spends elemental points gained each level to gain improvements to these, from a specific list.
a similiar theme could be a guy who has an animal totem, which improves (added Bio-E) every level

This is a fantastic idea for a power category. Not a Gestalt, and not covered in the Immortal section either. I like the idea of an alternate form, and the fact that they don't get access to the list of super-powers makes it very doable (if you can get the elemental bonuses and abilities correct). Would you mind if I tried to write something up on this (giving you full credit for the base idea)?
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

It would require a certain reformatting of powers, but it would be cool to have powers that improved and expanded as PCs go up in levels. I like that idea, and I think it does work as a Power Category. I'd like it to encompass all powers, and that is where the formatting comes in. I don't see it as an easy task, but it would be awesome and better than starting out at level 1 with every aspect of the power.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Severus Snape wrote:
Iczer wrote:Elemental:

This is a fantastic idea for a power category. Not a Gestalt, and not covered in the Immortal section either. I like the idea of an alternate form, and the fact that they don't get access to the list of super-powers makes it very doable (if you can get the elemental bonuses and abilities correct). Would you mind if I tried to write something up on this (giving you full credit for the base idea)?

I'd be honoured

Batts
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I've started writing up elementals. I first went through all the powers that are available in HU, PU1, PU2, and PU3, and I listed the ones that are applicable for each elemental type (for example, for Fire I listed APS Fire, EE Fire, EE Flame Ring, etc.). So I've got each of the 4 types singled out with the applicable powers.

The problem I'm running in to is that I cannot just give them all these powers at 1st level, or they'd be way too munchkinized. So I'm actually breaking down each power into its different bonuses and penalties, and applying those at different levels for the elemental. I'm kinda happy with the results for Water, but I have to finish writing it up first. When I'm done, I'll post the Water Elemental, and you guys can tell me what you think. (Side Note: Water has the fewest potential existing "powers", which is why I'm running the initial test with Water.)
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

The Dragons and Gods book for PFRPG has Elemental races, but I am guessing you want something more humanoid.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I had some notes for a "Rider" power category once. I don't know what happened to them, but the basic gist was that it was the Rider's "Steed" that had the power, but would follow the riders command.

All the Steeds had varied intelligence and appearance, but I had a few basic categories.
1. Mechanical- the Steed is a simple machine with no mind of it's own.

2. Mechanical: Aware- the steed is a machine, but it has its own thoughts and personality.

3. Natural Beast- the steed is creature from the natural world (past or present), or a giant version of one. Ranging from a giant rat to a dinosaur. Can also apply to alien creatures that would be considered natural on their planet or dimension of origin.

4. Mythical beast- the steed is a creature from legend. Anything from a griffon to a sea serpent. Perhaps even a dragon if the GM allowed one.

5. Manifestation- the steed can assume any set appearance, but is actually a manifestation of powers held by the Rider. Without first manifesting the steed, the rider cannot access his powers. Example: A Rider with Flight: Wingless, must first summon his steed in order to ride it through the air. Or if possessing an energy expulsion power, he must summon the steed so that the steed can fire the energy off as a breath weapon or other attack.

The Mechanical steeds could be made using the Hardware or Robotics rules, while the others would typically be made much like Alien, Experiments, Magical, or Mutant characters. The Riders themselves would typically be normal folk, but could easily be one of the Special Training categories.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Mercdog wrote:I had some notes for a "Rider" power category once. I don't know what happened to them, but the basic gist was that it was the Rider's "Steed" that had the power, but would follow the riders command.

All the Steeds had varied intelligence and appearance, but I had a few basic categories.

2. Mechanical: Aware- the steed is a machine, but it has its own thoughts and personality.

3. Natural Beast- the steed is creature from the natural world (past or present), or a giant version of one. Ranging from a giant rat to a dinosaur. Can also apply to alien creatures that would be considered natural on their planet or dimension of origin.

4. Mythical beast- the steed is a creature from legend. Anything from a griffon to a sea serpent. Perhaps even a dragon if the GM allowed one.

5. Manifestation- the steed can assume any set appearance, but is actually a manifestation of powers held by the Rider. Without first manifesting the steed, the rider cannot access his powers. Example: A Rider with Flight: Wingless, must first summon his steed in order to ride it through the air. Or if possessing an energy expulsion power, he must summon the steed so that the steed can fire the energy off as a breath weapon or other attack.

The Mechanical steeds could be made using the Hardware or Robotics rules, while the others would typically be made much like Alien, Experiments, Magical, or Mutant characters. The Riders themselves would typically be normal folk, but could easily be one of the Special Training categories.

this idea is really cool. have you got any crunchy bits for it, or is it just concept right now?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

znbrtn wrote:
Mercdog wrote:I had some notes for a "Rider" power category once. I don't know what happened to them, but the basic gist was that it was the Rider's "Steed" that had the power, but would follow the riders command.

this idea is really cool. have you got any crunchy bits for it, or is it just concept right now?

I had more, but I've got no idea where my notes went. I remember some of the sample heroes and some of the little details, but that's about it. I had planned on writing up an article for the Rifter, but got sidetracked by life. :(
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Some of these might make it onto the Black Vault Wiki if I have not already done so. I will have to check, but I do not recall adding the Time Displaced category Iczer wrote.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Iczer wrote:YAY!

I did think of one other

Billionaire playboy

Decent skillset. access to exotic fighting styles. Very high, and possibly very detailed private holdings that determine what special access to equipment he has
(rolling and getting 'Pharmaceuticals' could give the character access to a chain of chemists, including access to some top scientists and performance enhancing drugs, while 'military projects' may net you a small urban tank)

and lots of money. the character has a 'net worth' followed by a variable discretionary budget (for spending) followed by a list of holdings. special equipment is derived directly from holdings, though his large budget will mean easy access to other objects through regular expenditure (though hiding the paper trail would be necessary)

This needs a budget to flesh it out properly.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Gimpdaddy wrote:I've been wanting to do something I call a Legacy Hero. Basically the character has been asked to carry the mantle of a superhero that has been around for generations.. Along with certain skills and possibly some gadgets. I realize that I could have a number of classes fit this, but was looking to make it a separate class on it's own. Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas?

To make it unique, you should include some class-specific special skills - the result of training from an established hero. For example, as a combat skill, "Adaptive tactics" - which would be the ability to adapt fighting techniques for different opponents, and have it give a number of combat bonuses per level, or something. Toss in an investigative skill, and some government contacts, and it's a new class, basically.

A special power to consider would be one dealing with reputation - i.e., by wearing the costume of an established hero, you have to uphold that hero's reputation by behaving a certain way, and in return, people treat you more favorably in a number of discrete ways.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

LeeNapier wrote:
Gimpdaddy wrote:I've been wanting to do something I call a Legacy Hero. Basically the character has been asked to carry the mantle of a superhero that has been around for generations.. Along with certain skills and possibly some gadgets. I realize that I could have a number of classes fit this, but was looking to make it a separate class on it's own. Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas?

To make it unique, you should include some class-specific special skills - the result of training from an established hero. For example, as a combat skill, "Adaptive tactics" - which would be the ability to adapt fighting techniques for different opponents, and have it give a number of combat bonuses per level, or something. Toss in an investigative skill, and some government contacts, and it's a new class, basically.

A special power to consider would be one dealing with reputation - i.e., by wearing the costume of an established hero, you have to uphold that hero's reputation by behaving a certain way, and in return, people treat you more favorably in a number of discrete ways.

Thing is you'd really need that to be a 'Legacy character' rather than 'Legacy hero' as there are Legacy villains around who would just as understandably have similar training from that long line of villainy giving them knowledge and skills to use against heroes a non-legacy wouldn't have.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The character would have to have some means of inheriting the abilities of his predecessor, whether by inheriting a Super-Invention, Magically Bestowed Weapon or Magically Bestowed powers from an amulet or some such. Perhaps you could have a table that you roll on for the specific source of the powers. They would inherit the name and costume of their predecessor, perhaps even gaining it as part of the source of the powers.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Actually, I've been thinking about this - you could make it as a sort of class that you layer on top of another class (like the Mega Hero) - it adds some skills and special abilities, and maybe some special equipment, and that way you could make a legacy character of any "class". It'd gain levels on the Mega-Hero table, I think.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Here are some alternatives on the secret operative class I have always liked. I dont think the user is on the boards anymore, but he had some interested stuff..

http://demostar.freeservers.com/Espiona ... acters.htm
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Iczer wrote:YAY!

I did think of one other

Billionaire playboy
...snip
This needs a budget to flesh it out properly.

Capitalist Entepenuer from Mystic China would be some that could be mod'ed to fill this.

Looking at the Hardware power cat. for gagets ideas. The Gizmoteer OCC's in N&S would also be a place to look for ideas.
-----------------

This idea is in the HU2MB "I Think". However, like with billionare playboy this is more a BackGround item then a power cat. (HU=power cat's).

But that leads to what HU is missing, a table of extreme background for a player to roll on to see if they have "something more" then the basic hero has. But not a Mega Hero.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

NMI wrote:Here are some alternatives on the secret operative class I have always liked. I dont think the user is on the boards anymore, but he had some interested stuff..

http://demostar.freeservers.com/Espiona ... acters.htm

Yah he has some cool stuff. I have not seen him post to the boards or the chats in over a year.

But the stuff from the link covers the same ground as the N&S classes. Not bad...just different.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Actually, yeah the Legacy "Hero" is touched on in the HU2 corebook. There is more "official" material in Rifter 50 by Mark Oberle.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

These is some old stuff i did for an alternative setting i toyed with but never fully developed. I wonder what can you guess about it from the tidbits of the classes :lol: .

Oni/Demonling/Horned ones - Elven Mutation due tampering with hard to understand bio-magic(Tarlok genetic engineering science actually). Quite cultured and wiht penchant for occult knowledge and philosophy, The Oni seem to share a fair good amount of trait with their elven ancestors in term of behavior, albeit they tend to be more susceptible to Obsessive-compulsive Disorder, to the point to obsesses over some peculiar activity or object to the point of completely identify with it. They are common amongst the The ex-tarlok controlled areas, like Italy, Austria and Germany. Less so in Albion since There elven people gone for a genetic purity pathway making them go to extreme effort to keep their DNA clean(Symbiotic organism non-withstanding)
Unusual Features: Odd colored skin, Fangs, pointed ears, Animal like non-prehensile tail(deer and goat are common, but any can appear), 25% has hoofed feet +1d6 to kick. At third level roll on Obsession Table
Psionic - Major psionic depend upon the number and shape of the Horns they possess, choose one option:
1 Straight Horn: Telekinesis(super), Telekinetic Force field)(note can fly telekinetically lifting themselves moving at a speed equal to IQ+10, as well as using Telekinesis to perform most skill at range, and suffer only -20% for the lack of sense of touch, normally would be 40%. This drop to -10% if they can see clearly what they are doing and focusing on it-read are withing line sight and spend two action performing the task-)
2 Horns: Electrokinesis , Telemechanics (can build instantly any machine spending 10 ISP per 50 lbs of materials, but still need a successful roll on the proper skill, with -20% penalty for rushed job and the machine built this way last only for 1 minute per level of experience. The ISP is spent whenever the machine is successfully built or is a dud. Also in most cases need to use Electrokinesis to POWER it)
1 Crescent moon shaped sharp horn: Pyrokinesis(can hold a fireball and fueling it with fuel flame in order to make it more devastating. Each additional fuel flame add 1d6 damage and a blast radius of 6 ft, after the fourth increment there is 50% chance it will automatically explode), Psychic Body Field(can be made fiery spending 10 ISP does 2d6 fire damage to everything it touch)
Two Curly horn – goat like: Hydrokinesis(Breath underwater 4 ISP per minute, while using the psionic powers swim 30% faster ), Psychic Omni sight(Twice as much range underwater)
1d4 Crooked horns of different length: Bio-Manipulation(Blind, Deafness, Mute cost 5 ISP and are -1 to save; Pain save vs Pain can use PE instead of ME, Paralysis cost 2 ISP per limb, complete paralysis cost 10 roll to save against for each limb and torso, ,Mental Stun cost only 2 ISP, Tissue Manipulation is -2 to save against Empathic Transfer(Can be used as an aura power spending 30 ISP the empathic aura has only 10 ft radius and last just one melee round)
Two large Ram-like horns: Supercharge - see Between the Shadows Sourcebook(special duration is doubled, PS bonus is 1d6+6 Supernatural and SDC Bonus is 100 not 40) and of course Summon Inner Strength
Other Psionic: 6 Minor Psionic power of choice from any of the three categories
ISP: MEx10 +10 each level considered Master Psionic
In addition to the above they are natural mystic albeit is more proper calling them natural prone to magic, as they do not develop magic automatically but rather they had to learn it normal way
Naturally Possess Lore: Magic at 60% and Lore: Spell translation at +10%
Starting spell: none at first level, but starting with the second level can roll the "shortcut to gain new spell" table to see what spell they figured out(GM choice)
PPE: PEx3 plus 1d6+1 per level, know how to channel and get PPE from usual sources

Talking about Albion elves, they are amongst the few who actively use symbiotic as a form of augmentation, together with Catholic Church and Protestant Dragons.
The Symbiote in question is called Avalon Driad, and is reserved for the nobility of the Albionese Elven kingdoms, at least for 5 generations(to be honest since the Tarlok invaded and Albion Elf started an alliance with them against German Dwarves).
The Symbiote look like a wood and wines helmet or Headband with large antlers.
Is Vegetal and feed of Strong Emotions, this often lead to the weird "pranks" Elven nobles like to play upon their subjects.
Benefits and Powers:
Increase and Elven lifespan by 1d4x250 years! and make it impervious to disease and toxins. Bio-Regenerate 2d6 SDC/Hit Points per hour, Strength is considered Supernatural
Powers:
Dimensional Kingdom(not room, Kingdom). Instead of a Room, Host of a Albion Driad can create a small dimensional Kingdom, not unlike an Astral Realm(and actually use the same rules) Symbiotes grant 1d6x100 creation points. But two or more host can share resources(points) to create impressive kingdoms.
Inside these world they possess, usual, a vast plethora of powers(In addition to the usual special abilities, they can grant themselves any superpowers they can think of. Each Minor power cost 1d4x10+10 creation point plus 10 per level of the power while each major will cost 60+4d6 creation point plus 20 per level of power)
Dimensional Fog: Identical to Generate Fog and Smoke Major power, but actually the mist created is a fragment of their Dimensional Kingdom, allow the host to manifest their power and abilities as they would in their kingdom. The only drawback is that the fog/smoke can be summoned only at night or darkness and quickly disperse itself at the first ray of daylight. This power is one of the reason Albion is nicknamed the land of mist

Vulnerability: After the symbiosis the host find himself suffering a lethal vulnerability to iron(See Achilles Heel), also the Dimensional fog don't work exposed to sunlight, fade within 1d4 minutes.

Royal Air force of Albion/Lutwaffe of German Principates
The Albion RAF is very peculiar. While it does include Airship operators and flying beast riders as other armies does, it does employ peculiar units called the Dragoons(albeit is worth nothing that other armies responded fast creating other similar corps to counter-engage the Dragoons) present only in England and Germany, in fewer number also in France, due to previous English dominance as well as later protestant presence within the nation, due the strong tie betyween Dragons and Protestant Religion, as Protestant were eager to accept the draconic dogma.
The Dragoons, nicknamed Pegasi, Harpies, Griffons, Battle Angels or other similar names, derive their powers from a symbiotic bio-mechanical implants derived directly form the blood of Dragons. Now to say the truth dragons had the knowledge to do something similar since the begin of times, especially in the Celestial Empire, where the eunuch Beurocracy HAD to bond with a Simbiont derived from the very blood of the dragon emperor allowing him almost a perfect control over his subjects(there were some methods that allowed eunuch to numb such control through drugs). But the Dragoons were different. They were born during the great religious war, when Dragons supported the Schism against Catholic Church in order to enforce their request for acceptance of a fifth Vangel in the Dogma, or at least some part of it, the legitimated the Dragons as chosen race of the Lord, allowing them access to the highest Political and Religious roles. Legitimacy. Catholic Church wanted to hear nothing of this, while they politely said that yes, Dragons can be accepted as anyone within the ranks, but only at certain conditions, and always on case by case basis. But as norm they are vicious fiend that any Catholic should fight on sight. Of course this means war, and when Calvin, Luther and of course ol' good Henry VIII started to split from Rome, the Dragons saw an opportunity. With Albion it was much easier, while the protestant princes were still doubtful over the real motivation of the Dragons and were not too keen in granting the reform they asked. At least not all of them.
The Dragons did not wanted to get involved too directly in the battles, as their number were low and once a Dragon choose a side another will appear on the battlefield in the opposite ranks, so they opted for a different form of help. Financial, as they were crazy rich, of course, albeit their greed made this a much more limited help that Albion hoped, but then thank also to the Tarlok technology present in Albion, they come up with something different. Using their old symbiosis practice and applying the alien bio-technology to it they managed to create the Dragoons skin. These skin in their dormant state look like colorful body marks, the ink created from the very blood of a dragon, on the back of the body of the chose wielder. The color reflect the donor Dragon. The Mark when activated grow and wrap the whole body, with sole exception of body hair. This second “skin” offer some powers, the most obvious is the ability to fly manifesting wings(type vary depending on dragons but see below).
Has Tattoo marking covering the back of the body starting from the base of the neck and ending shortly before the coccyx. The process is done at young age amongst the most promising kids, found amongst all social classes(mostly lower classes and orphans as there is quite an high rate of rejection and death during the proicess, we wouldn't want to waste the precious life of Noblesse future, wouldn't we?).
Prerequisite: PE: 10 or better, At least 20 base PPE, Conversion age 12 years at best.
Bonuses when the mark is not activated: +40 SDC after the conversion and +1d6 PE, see Psionic below. +2d4x10 PPE +10 PPE per level
Psionic: Considered Minor Psionic, can select 1d4+2 psionic powers from Healing, Sensitive or Physical Psionic ISP: 6d6+ME +5 per level(generally these psionic match those of the donor dragon)
Powers available upon activation: spending 2 PPE the mark grow and wrap whole body, except hair, from the back and form a pair of bio-mechanical appendix on the back. These appendices generate a pair of energy wings while the rest of the body undergo different type of augmentation, depending on the donor dragon and the host biologies and DNA traits.
Powers: Energy Wings Major Power (special Speed is 3d6x10 plus host speed (25mph to 130 mph usually) plus can temporary increase speed by 10 mph per 5 PPE/10 ISP spent - The energy blast included in the power is expelled as a breath weapon), Natural Armor rating 13 plus had the equivalent of 1d4 million worth of Eugenic enhancements (note the Base Natural armor is a second skin but any further increase make the thin scales thicker and overall look much more dragon/gargoyle like. Is more common amongst German Lutwaffe and Wales RAF members, much less in England

Egyptian Scarab Warriors
the scarab Warriors, or mummy riders as they are often nicknamed from the traditional bandages they wear for protection(albeit in modern times is being replaced by more conventional armor) is a type of human augmentation devloped in egypts by the hands of scientist-priest during the war against roman invaders (actually the war between Augustus and Anthony). While proving formidable opponents, the creation of this powerful soldier was forbidden after the pacification and the period of being a Roman province instead of a indipendent alied nation. Years later the old project was resurrected and further upgraded during the crusades, and helped Egypt remaining relatively safe, as well as making their name known in all europe. Tales of these bug masked warrriors of powerfull might and unbelievable combat ability reached even the kingdom of Franks.
Their numbers had alway been quite low due the difficult process of their creation.In recent times almost all of them work for the Egyptian Pharon Guard, despite them name is the Egyptian Intelligence Service, taking care of every special mission, sometimes working way outside the Egyptian borders.
Scarab Warriors
Scarab warriors are created thourgh a complex process derived from the mummification combined with the latest discoveries in medicine, surgery, mechanical engineering and mysticism. The subject is placed , through the use of a very specific cocktail of herbs and sythetic components, in a death like coma, later main vital organs, wiht the excpetion of the brain, are removed and placed in canopy vase, and replaced by bio-mechanical replacement. Then the bone are coated , through the use of mechanical scarab operated through the mental impulse of the priests, with a special gold looking alloy, that increast strength and endurance as well as making the skeleton near impossible to break.
Finally the entire body is bathed in special regenerative fluids and wrapped in bandages to allow the multiple surgery to heal properly. After 3 weeks the Scarab solider is awake and ready to fight.

In game terms they are supersoldiers falling into endoskeletal replacement but with some differences:
the ability 6 - Cosmetic disguise is replaced by the following
Ka - combat assistant: +2 initiative, +15% to piloting/horsemanship, Intelligence and Detect Ambush skill rolls or a base of 30% if the no skill is possessed, +1 to strike, parry and dodge.
The Biomechanical eyes have 20/20 vision, Nightsight(as per bionic eye), and automatically see aura as per psionic power at no cost
Vulnerabilities: Kepher warriors are very sensible to sunlight, are near blind in strong light, and their skin start to suffer painfull ulceration with prolonged exposure to intense sunlight(1d6+4 damage each 1d4x10 minutes of exposure). This weakness had to to with the chemicals used in the final phase of the transformation process. Also their body skin turn shade of grey and hair become stark white(albeit most males shave completely)
Special Equipment: Kepher armor, A.R. 10 SDC 100 Helmet AR 14 SDC 80. Once time was made of bandages an a simple gilded helmet sculpted as a scarab head or other egyptian deities head. Nowaday is made of padded material, while the reinforced helmed has now built-in scrambled radio receiver and transmitter and H.U.D. system(is bio-organic based, lifespan 30 years. Technology unique to Egypt kingdom.)
Kepher Bike: This motorized bike is relatively recent invention, born in Italy by the had of an elderly Leonardo Da Vinci, albeit there had been discussion that it was actually the work of one of his disciples. Whatever the case it had become quickly widespread in the world, expecially amongst the organized armies. Egypt version is slightyl slower (75 mph) but has better performance on sand and uneasy terrain (no penalties for off road at all), consume much less elixir Ignis(25% less than normal Italian and French bikes) and has rocket boost that allow it to jump 50 ft high/100ft lengthwise 4 times before needing to refill the boosters.
Regenerative Sarcophagus: Is the equivalent of the minor power of hibernation, but cannot createa cocoon, rather they sleep into a techno-sarcophagus in the temple of anubis. Those that go the mercenary route try to bring their sarcophagus with them, somehow. But is kind of complicated.
Last edited by The Baron of chaos on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Mephisto wrote:baron of chaos I'm going to have to review it after heavy formatting, it looks like spaghetti to me at the moment.

Uh sorry. This are all stuff spread on random TXT files , never truly formatted. This is just the tip of a massive .TXT pyramid laying inside my computer. Tried to fix the stuff better.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”