Heroes to Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

Heroes to Rifts

Unread post by Crucible »

I have recently started my son on Rifts and I want to give him the best gaming experience that I can. Kid was awesome in his gaming debut in the D20 Star Wars Sagas and I (a 15yr Palladium vet) decided to show him my Palladium books. He quickly fell on to it and we havestarted playing Heroes Unlimited and with the idea of going into Rifts. He is playing a mutant with Natural Combat Ability, Mechano Link, and Healing Factor. We are loving it! His sis will be playing soon, so far we have her as his sister (LOL) who is also a mutant but with Animal Abilities (Big Feline) and we haven't finished her up yet because I am a gaming snob...

I would like to know how you as players or GM's would Rift them into the wold of Rifts. There is not a Book that I don't either own or can get my hands on RIGHT NOW!!! I would just love some input as I have always wanted input but I have been THE local GM and expert in this area for years (since '94 played and ran Robotech, TMNT, and Heroes back in the early '90s as well). How would you get them there in a plausible way and wht would you do for a smooth transition?
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Crucible
Champion

Re: Heroes to Rifts

Wyrmbear wrote::lol:

Welcome Crucible & Family! :D

I just introduced my son to Rifts as well.

As far as your issue goes, there are a LOT of ways. Mystic villains, Mad scientists, Cult summonings interrupted by the PCs, etc.

My suggestion for a "smooth" (relative term of course) transition to Earth would be to have them pop out of a Rift and into a situation wherein Erin Tarn is under assault and/or seperated from her companions.

That way they have a contact who can fill them in on the last half-century or so, give them the "lay of the land" as well as possibly line up a few initial adventures for them without going all "GMPC" on them.

Love the sig! LOL. Now this would too be by normal way of doing it. So its not broke so I won't fix it. Man its good to be back to Palladium RPG's. HOME MAN!!! LOL.

Now thats cool with the Erin Tarn thing. For all of my years of running Rifts I have never had my PC's to meet Erin Tarn. This would be my biggest yank! I should have a long time ago. Which book is she and her bodyguard statted in again? I will need to grab it.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Crucible
Champion

Wyrmbear wrote:That's a good question...depending on what year your game will be set in, she might be found in two or three places. I don't really recall where at the moment though.

Come to think of it, I've never actually used her either, except as a non-combat cameo with no PC interaction.

I need to find the stats pretty bad. I remember seeing them before.

Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Crucible wrote:
Wyrmbear wrote:That's a good question...depending on what year your game will be set in, she might be found in two or three places. I don't really recall where at the moment though.

Come to think of it, I've never actually used her either, except as a non-combat cameo with no PC interaction.

You can find her stats as well as Sir winslow's stats in coalition war campaign pg#14. :D

Perhaps they could help save Erin(From Coalition troops) and accompany her to Lazlo.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Crucible wrote:

Welcome back crucible! Erin tarn and Sir Winslow Thorpe are statted out in Coalition War campaign p.p. 14 thru' 18. Hope you guys continue to have fun. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Crucible
Champion

Thanks guys! I'm on it. I just found that still have Africa! LOL...I need the Coalition War Campaign. Is it still in print?

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Welcome to the boards!

Any random rift would do to send them to the RIFTS world.

Another suggestion would be to have them rift out in the middle of a group of Coalition grunts preparing to assault a village of Dee-Bees.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Crucible wrote:Thanks guys! I'm on it. I just found that still have Africa! LOL...I need the Coalition War Campaign. Is it still in print?

Just checked the online store and the answer is yes.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Crucible
Champion

Thanks! At one point I had almost all of the books but... :cry:

As for the Rifting I like both ideas, I may tie the one with Coalition troops into it.

Crucible
Champion

Wyrmbear wrote:If you do go the pre-strike CS route, remember the PCs are SDC creatures with SDC damage weapons and abilities still (unless catgirl has SN PS), so you'll have to impress upon them the danger they are in from the MDC grunts.

Maybe have one of the grunts miss and a rock disintegrate nearby from a mere pistol shot.

Or a .50 cal rifle shot into the helmet of a grunt, with laughter ensuing.

Now thats pretty awesome. Not so sure what "cat-girl" will have yet. Her character isn't done yet. I'm thinking that she will be pretty amazing though. My son's character is interesting. He's less action (even though he can dish a whupping) and more roleplay if you can believe that. Right now, instead of taking on a particular villian head on he is "aiding" the authorites in pin poiniting them to the villians. He claims that he wants to surprise the bad guy when he faces him to show him what a "nerd" can do...lol!

I'm thinking that since he has a "thinking" type demeanor he will have some idea of how to handle.

Example, in a SW game a few weeks ago he encountered a dark jedi. Instead of pitting his Jedi against that one, he ran in the direction of some republic soldiers who immediately sought to apprehend the guy. Using their strength in numbers he then used his abilities to distract the villian while they were able to take the dark Jedi down.

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

If I was your GM I would try to work in a multi-dimensional spanning campaign with scrapers dimension book as the crossroads for the main plot. Scrapers was full of interesting heroes & villains and ties in nicely with HU, but the conversions to M.D.C. creatures could be worked out better with some house rules. Jumping to Rifts I would try to use a set customized location like a large city to keep the superhero theme instead of the Rifts mercenary theme most players use. My mutant Shard VK had multiple selves & Matter Expulsion: Crystal powers and had lots trouble using Rifts because of the sheer violence of the setting was against his nature to kill without offering mercy first and only so many time you can encase an opponent in crystal before that got old. Switching to a city campaign gave him more options on sub doing his opponents without having to kill them and more cover to avoid those deadly range weapons Rifts are so full of.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Crucible
Champion

runebeo wrote:If I was your GM I would try to work in a multi-dimensional spanning campaign with scrapers dimension book as the crossroads for the main plot. Scrapers was full of interesting heroes & villains and ties in nicely with HU, but the conversions to M.D.C. creatures could be worked out better with some house rules. Jumping to Rifts I would try to use a set customized location like a large city to keep the superhero theme instead of the Rifts mercenary theme most players use. My mutant Shard VK had multiple selves & Matter Expulsion: Crystal powers and had lots trouble using Rifts because of the sheer violence of the setting was against his nature to kill without offering mercy first and only so many time you can encase an opponent in crystal before that got old. Switching to a city campaign gave him more options on sub doing his opponents without having to kill them and more cover to avoid those deadly range weapons Rifts are so full of.

I see. That could be a situation for a hero indeed. Its just that my Heroes Unlimited world is less spandex and more grit. I have Skraypers, but I'm setting that up for a later campaign when I get them through Phase World. I purposely made characters so that they could be converted.

Thanks, though and I will definately keep that in mind.

Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

???Crucible, why do you only have 12 posts, haven't you been around fer a while???
I noticed you'd been gone fer a time, but your post count looks rest!

Anywho, as to your poat question... One of the Best and simplest ways to bring them in (in a heroic manor) would be to use the fact that Tolkeen shifters were already in contact with HU Earth... At least One of them any ways.

Just do the simple thing and have it that one of the shifter fell in with Helping out a small village after the war. The small town has now come under siege by (Name your poison);

a Dragon and it's orc hoards wishing to conqure the town, Broadkill slavers, an Evil Arch mage who's been Abducting kids from the village for crule expriments, an angered excitizen from the town who's consorted with evil forces inorder to take revenge on the people of the town for slights Real And imagined, An out of work Merc force of Tech soliders that has taken to theivery, a crazed MAJOR Earth Elemental that has been somehow force to stay in this dimmension and has gone on a rampage through the forrests out of frutration, a hoard of Gromek D-Bees tring to conqure the surrounding reigon, A crash landed Xenophobic Alien race that see all others as a threat, A wandering Simvan tribe is traveling through the area and doesn't like the compitition for hunting grounds, A tribe of Native Americans are angered because poachers from the the town have unknowingly encroached on their scared hunting grounds, a wandering tribe of mutant humans is on the run from something Evil and is now being blaimed for the coming storm which has befallen the town, a Coalition hit squad that has killed many people in it's attepmts to hunt down Tolkeen refugees, A forgotten forrest spirit (little god/kami) looking worshipers in the ost impollite of ways (Like causing floods), Fey Folk that are abducting children from the town for their Deams...

Choose your path but, anything is is good. Your PC are asked to help in this Most noble of causes...
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

Crucible wrote:I have recently started my son on Rifts and I want to give him the best gaming experience that I can. Kid was awesome in his gaming debut in the D20 Star Wars Sagas and I (a 15yr Palladium vet) decided to show him my Palladium books. He quickly fell on to it and we havestarted playing Heroes Unlimited and with the idea of going into Rifts. He is playing a mutant with Natural Combat Ability, Mechano Link, and Healing Factor. We are loving it! His sis will be playing soon, so far we have her as his sister (LOL) who is also a mutant but with Animal Abilities (Big Feline) and we haven't finished her up yet because I am a gaming snob...

I would like to know how you as players or GM's would Rift them into the wold of Rifts. There is not a Book that I don't either own or can get my hands on RIGHT NOW!!! I would just love some input as I have always wanted input but I have been THE local GM and expert in this area for years (since '94 played and ran Robotech, TMNT, and Heroes back in the early '90s as well). How would you get them there in a plausible way and wht would you do for a smooth transition?

Some ideas:

-Skraypers setting
-Rifts (so original, right?)
-Shifter desperately for help
-some tech device dealing with time travel

The original RIFTS conversion book had some ideas and a handy conversion to translate some powers to RIFTS level
Crucible
Champion

You are correct Steeler 49er. I was here a long time ago, then I stopped coming. I guess I lost my account. I was The Crucible.

All of these ideas ore great. Conversion Book, I have to get a new one. Need one bad!!! Its been years I tell ya!

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Do they care if it's plausible or how plausible it is?

And as for smooth transition? Eh, what's the point of coming to rifts earth if you want smooth?

In other words, choose the best rough bits of being in rifts earth, to start game sessions from.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Crucible wrote:You are correct Steeler 49er. I was here a long time ago, then I stopped coming. I guess I lost my account. I was The Crucible.
Ohhh...
Well than...
♫Welcome home, ♪welcome back, ♫welcome to your humble shack!☻
Crucible wrote:All of these ideas are great. Conversion Book, I have to get a new one. Need one bad!!! Its been years I tell ya!
Wooh, a compliment! Kewwwl...
Thank you very much, it actually means alot to hear you say that :angel:
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Crucible
Champion

Steeler49er wrote:
Crucible wrote:You are correct Steeler 49er. I was here a long time ago, then I stopped coming. I guess I lost my account. I was The Crucible.
Ohhh...
Well than...
♫Welcome home, ♪welcome back, ♫welcome to your humble shack!☻
Crucible wrote:All of these ideas are great. Conversion Book, I have to get a new one. Need one bad!!! Its been years I tell ya!
Wooh, a compliment! Kewwwl...
Thank you very much, it actually means alot to hear you say that :angel:

:D You're welcome.

I'm just glad to be back home to Palladium! The game, the site, the OCC's, the SDC, the MEGA DAMAGE...

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Welcome Back to Palladium Crucible.
Stick around this time around ;)

Suggestions :
#1 SKRAYPERS Dimension Book = Rifts/HU2 Conversion rules.
Pretty good setting too for HU2 characters to get introduced into Rifts with. Then work Skraypers into the Phase World setting. From there adventure to Phase World itself and come to Rifts Earth.

#2 Conversion Book One Revised = HU2 Powers conversion rules also.

Hope you contribute as much here as on the Unisystem boards Crucible. Ok contribute more :D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Crucible
Champion

TechnoGothic wrote:Welcome Back to Palladium Crucible.
Stick around this time around ;)

Suggestions :
#1 SKRAYPERS Dimension Book = Rifts/HU2 Conversion rules.
Pretty good setting too for HU2 characters to get introduced into Rifts with. Then work Skraypers into the Phase World setting. From there adventure to Phase World itself and come to Rifts Earth.

#2 Conversion Book One Revised = HU2 Powers conversion rules also.

Hope you contribute as much here as on the Unisystem boards Crucible. Ok contribute more :D
GOTH!!!!????

I went and got all of the one's mentioned. :D

Return to “Rifts®”