Questions about automatic parry

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

automatic parry doesnt help with energy and ranged attacks...
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

or being hit from behind.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Questions about automatic parry

Unread post by acreRake »

Goldenbane wrote:...Whippy has a friggin' +12 to parry while Speed only has a +1 to strike!!!!!!! So, in accordance to the rules...this supernaturally strong sonic speedster could basically be parried all day and all night...and well...all month by Whiplash...
Until SM rolls a natural 20. [which is bound to happen sooner or later with, from what i remember, is a large number of attacks]. So Whiplash (and a lot of other characters) is/(are) good at blocking things :arrow: It's "one of [his] powers".

At any rate, knock-down rules could/should come into play here. "Speed" is delivering quite a bit of damage with each punch, right? Knock-down is used "even if the damage is successfully parried" (HU2 pg. 73) Sometimes, against powerful opponents, all the hero can do is keep the bad guy too busy to do anything else.

<uncle>One more thing:</uncle> This is one of the primary reasons why strategy is so important. Speedmetal is an idiot, true, so he might try this ham-fisted approach against such a clearly superior combatant. But any real hero is going to start using tactics that can't be parried.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

I couldn't agree more. Speedmetal is both fast and bloody tough. He could use whiplash's own tactics against him.

While whippy is pretty good with the old dodge etc, I'm sure that if SM got in close and then simply got whiplash in a bear hug, then there is no parry involved. SM is quite fast enough to be able to do that, and Whiplash does not have the speed to run away. He then has to deal with superhuman strength crush/squeeze, which he can't do (because his own strength isn't up to it).

Speedmetal wins. QED.

Now Obelisk vs Whiplash (or just about anyone) is a different story. Stupidly high strength, SDC and armour rating. If he hits you, you're dead. Maybe 3-4 hits, but really, who's going to hang around and let him hammer you with that kind of damage? A kid on a bicycle can outrun him, and yes, you can parry even his ultra-blows from those enormous rocky fists all day and night.

In this case I'd rule that the 'parry' is more of a sidestep, using the leverage of his blow against him. Those who have done any form of martial arts (except, possibly, Bob Jones' Zen Do Kai) will know that parrying a blow doesn't mean standing in the one place with your arms moving up-and-down (or wax-on-wax-off). It involves arms, legs, and body moving in fluid motion to push the blow in the direction you want it to go (requiring surprisingly little force) and get yourself out of the way and into position for a counterstrike. That's why a high PP works so well for the big parry bonuses.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Keep in mind, even if though it says "Automatic", you still have to roll the D20. As far as combat moves in Palladium is concerned, the term "Automatic" merely means that you dont have to spend an attack but you do still have to roll the D20.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

if you're referring to Whiplash from VU, whiplash has invulernability and thus , speedmetal is deadmeat.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:if you're referring to Whiplash from VU, whiplash has invulernability and thus , speedmetal is deadmeat.
You're thinking of Fullbore - Whiplash is the speedster with adhesion and the penchant to break your neck.

As for the original question:

1) Parrying is not necessarily a straight blocking maneuver - it is often more a deflection or a combo of deflection and evasion.

2) Automatic Parry still has to be rolled against, meaning even someone with very high bonuses will eventually get hit with a lucky strike.

3) You can only parry attacks you are aware of.

4) Knockdown rules still apply to parries (so even if the defender successfully parries, he may still be knocked down/back, losing an attack as he regains his footing/balance).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Plus Speed, with his monsterously high NAR could simply simo-attack Whiplash. Even if Whippy is getting past Kyle's NAR, the kid still has WAY more SDC. He can eat the hit and he inflicts WAY more damage.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Gomen_Nagai

Anyone can parry. those without HTH skills must use an attack
Anyone who Just did a paired action must use an attack to parry afterwards.
Anyone who wishes to parry something he can not see must use a parry.
Automatic parry can only be used against X number of opponents ( in HU, it's anyone you can see, in Rifts/ BTS/ Splicers it's 4) before you have to expend actions. For example if 5 people attack you, You'll have to Use an attack to parry Under the New rules.

Circular parry allows you to parry any attack all around you.
Windmill Kata allows you to parry all attacks period

You will sustain damage on a parry unless you're made of the same material. ie , SDC vs MDC, or Energy vs low end SDC, or Vibro vs Low end Sdc, High Density SDC vs low end SDC.

Unread post by Guest »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Anyone can parry. those without HTH skills must use an attack
Not too mention someone with Pao Chih.
Anyone who Just did a paired action must use an attack to parry afterwards.
Anyone who wishes to parry something he can not see must use a parry.
Not true at all. Attacks out of your line of sight cannot (normally) be parried. There are exceptions, such as with Sixth Sense, Juicers, Zanshin, Circular Parry, etc.
Automatic parry can only be used against X number of opponents ( in HU, it's anyone you can see, in Rifts/ BTS/ Splicers it's 4) before you have to expend actions. For example if 5 people attack you, You'll have to Use an attack to parry Under the New rules.
Actually, you can only parry attacks from up to three attackers, unless you're using Paired Weapons, in which case you can only parry two attackers.

Circular parry allows you to parry any attack all around you.
Not quite any attack.
Windmill Kata allows you to parry all attacks period
No it doesn't, not even close. Windmill Kata allows you to parry, "all hand propelled projectiles, including arrows, thrown spears, darts and rocks..." You have to use one of your normal defensive actions to parry hand to hand attacks and the kata isn't effective against guns, explosions, or energy weapons.

You will sustain damage on a parry unless you're made of the same material. ie , SDC vs MDC, or Energy vs low end SDC, or Vibro vs Low end Sdc, High Density SDC vs low end SDC.
Not true either.
acreRake
Hero

Just incase this isn't clear yet...
Ironclad wrote:Parry - Always free but the attack has to be melee and in your forward 180 degree arc.
No: A Parry uses an attack. Yes, you must be able to see the attack coming.

Auto-Parry - Also always free but you get to parry ANY melee attack no matter where it comes from?
Yes: an Automatic Parry does not use an attack. No: you still have to see it coming.

So it's Parry that is a complete waste of time. Unless you are untrained or have a (the?) form of Hand to Hand combat that doesn't grant an automatic parry (Pao Chih).
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Ironclad wrote:Let's get this straight...

Parry - Always free but the attack has to be melee and in your forward 180 degree arc.

Auto-Parry - Also always free but you get to parry ANY melee attack no matter where it comes from?

Is that correct?

If not then Auto-Parry is a total waste of time if you don't have a limit on your number of normal parries...

Nope -

Parry - must be able to see the attack coming and it costs an attack.

Auto Parry - must be able to see the attack coming but does NOT cost an attack.

just like Dodge (costs and attack) and Auto-Dodge (does NOT cost an attack).

And you are right - there is, at least in HU, no upper limit to the number of parries you can perform, but the conventional wisdom is you can only be the target of so many melee attacks anyway.

But I must point out - in HU "seeing the attack coming" can be simulated by many superpowers (Radar, Sonar, Heightened Sense of Awareness, Circular Vision, etc) allowing the super to parry attacks even from behind.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Gomen_Nagai

the Rules in HU Land are not the same as in Njss.
The rules I said are true, unlike your rules, which are like doom's based on literal interpreations

You won't find rules for Wood vs metal weapons in any main book

but in TD TMNT and YIN SLOTH JUNGLEs
the Rules on Energy, High Density, Vibro weapons vs everything else , are also in ... NOT in a main book, but in Aliens Unlimited.

incidentally you won't find rules on Stone vs Metal weapons in a HU book because it's not a common situation.

So k. SHAADAP

Unread post by Guest »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:the Rules in HU Land are not the same as in Njss.
I never said they were.
The rules I said are true, unlike your rules, which are like doom's based on literal interpreations
Nope, I don't base anything on what Doom says, the corrections I posted are directly from the books.

You won't find rules for Wood vs metal weapons in any main book
Try Yin Sloth Jungles.

but in TD TMNT and YIN SLOTH JUNGLEs
the Rules on Energy, High Density, Vibro weapons vs everything else , are also in ... NOT in a main book, but in Aliens Unlimited.
Again, not true. You can't generalize when it comes to the rules. Besides, you said,
Which isn't true, you don't take damage in all those situations on a parry, your weapon might take damage if you successfully parry in some of those instances, but you won't.

incidentally you won't find rules on Stone vs Metal weapons in a HU book because it's not a common situation.
But you just said you were using the rules from HU. Make up your mind, because you can't have it both ways.

So k. SHAADAP
Tell you what, get the facts straight the first time, then I won't have to follow around correcting things.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Ironclad wrote:Correct me (again) if I am wrong but doesn't it say somewhere that when you have used all your attacks up then all you can do is parry?

That would mean that parries cost when you have attacks and are free when you don't have attacks!

Even I realise that that cannot be corrrect!

Although it is Palladium, so...

NOpe!
YOu can still auto-dodge or auto-parry, and even if you don't have those situations, then some GM's will let you can still take an action from your next melee round and use it to dodge.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
acreRake
Hero

Ironclad wrote:Correct me (again) if I am wrong but doesn't it say somewhere that when you have used all your attacks up then all you can do is parry?

That would mean that parries cost when you have attacks and are free when you don't have attacks!

Even I realise that that cannot be corrrect!

Although it is Palladium, so...
It just means you can if you have the automatic parry. Technically, it should have said: "when all attack/actions have been used only automatic maneuvers are allowed." Because you could still auto-dodge, auto-flip/throw, auto-kick etc...

/that's a joke son.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Cardiac wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:if you're referring to Whiplash from VU, whiplash has invulernability and thus , speedmetal is deadmeat.
You're thinking of Fullbore - Whiplash is the speedster with adhesion and the penchant to break your neck.

Whiplash tried that on one of my characters once. Too bad for him my guy had both Sonic Flight and Vibration. :twisted:
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Auto parry? Where in the heck is that from?

'Cause I've been playing HU for a LONG time, and don't recall an auto parry.

Automatic parry has been with us since...well, forever.
Characters with no HtH skill at all, cannot automatic parry.
Anyone with at least HtH Basic or better, has a Parry, Automatic Parry, and a Dodge.
The wording on Auto Parry in some of the earlier books could be misleading.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

KG Carlson wrote:wait, wait, wait....

Auto parry? Where in the heck is that from?

'Cause I've been playing HU for a LONG time, and don't recall an auto parry.

Auto dodge showed up in the 2nd edition of HU.

Auto Parry has been in every book sinse day 1 of Palladium.

the thing is, except for pao shih, every hand to hand in the game gets automatic parry. and automatic parry functions exsactly the same as regular parry in every way except it dosn't cost an attack, and thus "parrying" has become synonomus with "auto parrying" because no one really specifies teh difference.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”