Mutant Underground: Your review/opinion sought

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

It's a solid book. Not great, but solid. It's a little heavy on NPCs and light on the details of the orginization. I was a little disappointed with it when I got it as it didn't really take the MO very far. Generally a gamer won't find it to be a waste of money or something that just sits on his self collecting dust, but it's not all that and a bag of chips. It's a nice addition to the game world but it's not vital or even great. If you got a spare fifteen bucks, eh, if not, eh.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

I found it to be a usefull NPC book but it doesnt go far enough in depth
about the under ground
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I'm with Cherico. It just doesn't do enough to cover the underground. It does an overview, but not in enough detail to really get a picture of how it works. If they had picked a cell, or a city, and used that as a template for other cities and cells it would have been much more useful in my book.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Heroes Unlimited does not focus on exactly where you set your Heroes games, so there are a decent bulk of handy random roll mutant and mutant animal tables, you can roll up random mutant menaces with this book in a snap.
Villains Unlimited has an excellent system for creating organisations, and with a few nudges here and there, you can quickly put together a local faction of the Mutant Underground, or perhaps a gang of mutants determined to promote mutant rights or even lone operatives, vigilantes and of course, reporters, secret government agents with their eyes open for talented raw recruits.
Combining Heroes Unlimited, Villains Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, then of course Powers Unlimited I and II , you have a huge range of freedom to decide what you want in your campaign.
I'm sure the MDC titles combine well, frankly, Mutant Underground would meld into Chi Town quite well.. you just slip in Dog Boys and Psi Stalkers, etc.

Bottom Line: Good book, well worth the purchase price, I sit it next to Dark Conversions on my book shelf and reach for it mainly for excellent random tables, plus it helps me think of new plots and missions for the game.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

The random tables are pretty cool. There is some lacking in the mutant underground info, but I believe this just leaves room for you as a gm to come up with your own stuff. which is what I love about heroes in general is you have a lot of freedom caused by the holes found in the canon plot structure. Its a good buy :ok:
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

I really wouldnt buy it. If theres some other Palladium book youve been thinking about buying get that instead. In fact get anything else instead.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I've looked through it a few times, never purchased it myself.
The other HU books are much more useful (particularly PUI and II, and the GMG).
Truth be told, there are other books more useful to campaign building.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

MontanaPlayer wrote:Thanks all for the feedback! I think I'll spend my cash on something else based on what you're all saying. Maybe if it hits a bargain bin at the local convention some year I'll pick it up. I guess if I want an expansion on mutant animals I'll have to get the new ATB.

Definetly or for an even better buy get the earlier TMNT books which are all HU2 compatible and a more fun read.
I think Palladium are even selling them off as a bundle at the moment in the internet shop section.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Transdimensional TMNT was a great little book, but I don't like the way it handled temporal travel, so yeah.. not on my list of essential books.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Skimmed through it at the store - never bothered to pick it up. Not enough detail for my tastes. Other Palladium books IMHO are more useful to the HU game;
After the Bomb (for mutant animals - just give em a little BIO-E boost), Rifts: Book of Magic (more spells than you can shake a stick at - Great for Spellcasters of all types - Wizards, Enchanted Object, Mystically Bestowed, Immortals etc.)
Rifts Conversion Books (for monsters/supernatural critters).
Ninjas & Superspies (martial arts mostly)
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

For me, I would say the most useful books for HU (outside of the actual HU and PU books) would be:
Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China: All Martial Arts, All The Time. Plus, great expanded Skill Programs for the military and espionage oriented characters (Super-Spies, for example).
Nightbane, and Through The Glass Darkly: Great threats for supernatural oriented characters, as well as guidelines for developing new spells/invocations.
Rifts Book of Magic, GMG, Conversion Books 1, 2, & 3: Invocations, Psionics, Skills, advanced weapons, conversion notes, monsters, races, gods, demi-gods, demons, intelligences, and more.
After The Bomb: Mutant Animals, although they can use a little extra Bio-E.
Beyond the Supernatural: Great expansion into the supernatural. Additional PCCs to give greater choices to the player who likes Psychics.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

actually Mutant undeground has all the chimera stuff that didn't appear in ATB 2nd.

You can make Chimera PCs from Mutant Underground.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”