Psi hound+Kill hound=?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kalinda
Champion

Psi hound+Kill hound=?

Unread post by Kalinda »

I was reading the Lone Star entry on Kill hounds this evening and started to wonder, how would you handle the offspring of a Dog boy and a Kill hound?

There are females of both types, and some go feral, so it's possible to get a mated pair consisting of one of each, but Dog boys get some stat bonuses due to being a certain breed, while kill hounds get a fixed set of fairly stout physical stats, plus some decreases in mental stats.

Would the offspring get a somewhat decreased version of the kill hound package? or a Psi hound package with a few bonuses to PS and such, plus a chance of being a berserker?

Any thoughts?
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

More than likely, for Game "Balance" Purposes, you'd be pretty much limited to the standard complement of Powers and Abilities of either one Dog Boy type or the other, but probably not both.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

cornholioprime wrote:More than likely, for Game "Balance" Purposes, you'd be pretty much limited to the standard complement of Powers and Abilities of either one Dog Boy type or the other, but probably not both.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't combine the two, but I was thinking of splitting the difference, making a hound that was somewhat stronger and tougher then a normal psi hound, but not quite as smart, with a lesser chance of having the negative personality traits of a kill hound. (sloth, bloodlust, arrogance Ect.)

They both get the same Psi powers, so no problem there at least.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

Psi-hound + Kill Hound =...Psycho-Hound?

A hound with the capabilities of a normal psi-hound but with the physical abilities and personality of a kill-hound...scary!
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

GundamChief wrote:Psi-hound + Kill Hound =...Psycho-Hound?

A hound with the capabilities of a normal psi-hound but with the physical abilities and personality of a kill-hound...scary!

Kill hounds already get all the same Psi powers as a Psi hound, they just don't use them as much.

What with all the berserking and clawing and biting and killing and eating and such...
60 DaDa points.
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

Zazshann wrote:I actually don't think it would actually ever happen in the wild. Think toy poodle (regular dog boy) trying to mate with a timberwolf (kill hound). More likely than not the dogboy would end up getting eaten.

Our Great Dane knocked up a neigboring dachshund, so anything's possible when the "heat is on".

[insert Chef line here]
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Seeing as the Kill Hounds are still experimental, and wickedly powerful, I'd suspect that they are currently being genetically engineered to be sterile in order to prevent a wild packs of psychotic monsters with supernatural strength from developing. . .

Yes, I am a party pooper, what's your point?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Tyciol wrote:I'm thinking that the supernatural strength and MDC of the violent kill-hounds would make mating quite impossible.

The female Psi-hounds wouldn't live to conceive.
The male Psi-hounds wouldn't survive the experience in time to finish it.

Um, right, except that Kill hounds don't have supernatural strength or MDC.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Atramentus wrote:To steal someone else's response in another thread, out of the litter of puppies some would be normal Psi-Hounds and some would be Kill-Hounds.

Aren't a lot (I thought most) of Psi-Hounds sterilised genetically anyway?

They aren't sterilized, most of the new Psi hounds are produced by 'breeder' females, who are artificially inseminated with genetic material from males who have proven to be 'good dogs.'

There are also 'freeborn' dog boys, the result of matings between escaped males and females.

Good thought about the litter makeup.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Jefffar wrote:Seeing as the Kill Hounds are still experimental, and wickedly powerful, I'd suspect that they are currently being genetically engineered to be sterile in order to prevent a wild packs of psychotic monsters with supernatural strength from developing. . .

Yes, I am a party pooper, what's your point?

That is a good point, except that Lone Star states that PC 'freeborn' kill hounds are an option, so they aren't sterile.

not to say that they shouldn't be sterilized, but...
60 DaDa points.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Kalinda wrote:
That is a good point, except that Lone Star states that PC 'freeborn' kill hounds are an option, so they aren't sterile.

not to say that they shouldn't be sterilized, but...

I didn't see the part about freeborn Kill Hounds, I'll give aother look.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: Psi hound+Kill hound=?

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Kalinda wrote:I was reading the Lone Star entry on Kill hounds this evening and started to wonder, how would you handle the offspring of a Dog boy and a Kill hound?

That's easy. You'd get a Psi-Hound with the mutations of Super Predator (71-75) and/or Supernatural Endurance (81-85), as seen in Lone Star, pg. 38. Also the hybrid would probably have half to two-thirds the normal lifespan.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Lone Star says that packs of freeborn dog boys range from 20-200(approx. IIRC) and that Kill Hounds packs are rarely larger than 20, although there are much larger packs of various kinds of mutant animals, including kill hounds, battle cats and ursua warriors. This mega-packs are still mainly dog boys though and I can see a lot of interbreeding going on.

Like wild dogs I think the biggest and most powerful dog would reproduce the most and pass down these dominant genes, so within a few generations we may see feral dogboys that are slightly larger, stronger and less obedient to humans, although they would still technially be dogboy RCCs.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Slag wrote:[insert Chef line here]
"Iwant you -and You -and you, and you -SIMULTANEOUS LOVIN!!!' "

-Chef

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Kalinda wrote:
Tyciol wrote:I'm thinking that the supernatural strength and MDC of the violent kill-hounds would make mating quite impossible.

SOME Kill Hounds DO have Supernatural Strength. You're still right about the MDC though......

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:

SOME Kill Hounds DO have Supernatural Strength. You're still right about the MDC though......

I believe you're thinking of Kill cats, who have a 33% chance to have supernatural PS. If there is mention of Kill hounds getting SU PS I didn't see it in the description of them.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Re: Psi hound+Kill hound=?

Unread post by Kalinda »

Dead Boy wrote:
Kalinda wrote:I was reading the Lone Star entry on Kill hounds this evening and started to wonder, how would you handle the offspring of a Dog boy and a Kill hound?

That's easy. You'd get a Psi-Hound with the mutations of Super Predator (71-75) and/or Supernatural Endurance (81-85), as seen in Lone Star, pg. 38. Also the hybrid would probably have half to two-thirds the normal lifespan.

That's a pretty good thought Dead boy, I'll have to make a couple of characters using that and see how they come out... 8-)
60 DaDa points.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Kalinda wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:

I believe you're thinking of Kill cats, who have a 33% chance to have supernatural PS. If there is mention of Kill hounds getting SU PS I didn't see it in the description of them.
Yep.

You got me...sort of.

Kill Hounds can lift 100X times their P.S; I incorrectly identified that as Supernatural Strength or its rough equivalent.

Imagine that!! A Kill Hound can be as STRONG as a Supernatural Creature but apparently still CANNOT cause Supernatural P.S. Damage......weird....

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:

Yep.

You got me...sort of.

Kill Hounds can lift 100X times their P.S; I incorrectly identified that as Supernatural Strength or its rough equivalent.

Imagine that!! A Kill Hound can be as STRONG as a Supernatural Creature but apparently still CANNOT cause Supernatural P.S. Damage......weird....

Odd how that works isn't it?

"OK, I can lift stuff just fine, but every time I try to punch someone I feel all weak. What's wrong with me doc?" :-?

"I'm afraid you have a severe case of Game Balance." :|

"Oh god NO! Not that, Anything but that!" :eek:
60 DaDa points.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Kalinda wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Kalinda wrote:

Yep.

You got me...sort of.

Odd how that works isn't it?

"OK, I can lift stuff just fine, but every time I try to punch someone I feel all weak. What's wrong with me doc?" :-?

"I'm afraid you have a severe case of Game Balance." :|

"Oh god NO! Not that, Anything but that!" :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Hey Mr Mechanic the main gun on my tank cannot even take out a single infantry man with a clean shot what's with that?"
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".

Return to “Rifts®”