What do you like and dislike about Robotech Novel?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: What do you like and dislike about Robotech Novel?

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Terry57x wrote:What do you like and dislike about Robotech Novel?

I just read a bit of End of the Circle today.... Horrid only is the tip of the iceberg with how bad this book is... if the rest are as bad... I'll just Stick to the Anime, and not worry about some Aweful interpitation of the show.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

I liked some of the concepts and characters in the "Lost Generation" novels (The Zentraedi Rebellion, The Masters Gambit and Before the Invid Storm)....but most of them would have to be seriously rethought.

I particularly despised the treatment the Army of the Southern Cross got in the novels as it is so far out from what is shown in the Tv series that its not funny.
Last edited by Rabid Southern Cross Fan on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Tetsuya wrote:Black Hole Travel Agency was great.. but i cant find more than the first 2 books anymore...

I liked the novels because they attempted to put the series together into a coherent whole.... regardless that some of the facts didnt jive with the series (they really couldnt, trying to make the whole series fit together).

a coherent whole story is more important to me than minute facts or "treatment" of the ASC.

Some of the stuff that happened in the novel series though... not so good.

Robotech as Aired in 85 Episodes Fit together with Little problems... the Novels Try to Fit the Sentinels in to Robotech... as well as Progressing Maceks Base "Minmay is god" Storyline from Oddesy. the Novels Made this Work by Mangeling the Timeline, and completly Villinazing the UEG.
The Mckinney Timelin has Lancer Getting Shot down by Invid a year before they invade. Has Carpenters Ships Leaving for earth in 2027 (but it his Crew members clearly say they were on the ship for 15 years...), so it fits with his Story.

the Novels miss the target telling a Story about robotech... and go to create its own Canon and Blantly ignores 90% of the series.

Heres a good List of Errors Mckinney has in his books: [url=http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/mckinney.html]The McKinney Purist FAQ
[/url]
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

I'm on the fence about the novels, since they have both good and bad points.

The Good: They gave a great worldview to the whole show, instead of just focusing on the main characters to the exclusion of all else. The novesl gave a good sense that there were wars invovling other people elsewhere on the world. As well, the novels did a great job (I think) of characterizing the main characters, of giving us little insights into their minds and thoughts that we just didn't get in the show.

Another thing I really liked were the blurbs they gave at the start of each chapter. The interviews, notes from personal journals, and quotes from (future) historical texts are nothing short of great. It's those chapter-headers that really make me love the novels.

The Bad: I really, really hated how the novels tried to turn Protoculture from a simple (albeit complicated alien) fuel source into a Star Wars-esque Force that determined destiny and fate and all that other hooey. As soon as they brought Haydon and the psychic kids into the mix, I left the novels in my dust and never looked back.

(oddly enough, I like the RPG because it gave psuedo-psychic powers to some characters by way of the Flowers of Life. Go figure.).

The Ugly: EOTC, and how they villanized the ASC. Though I'm not quite as rabid as... well... Rabid is, about the whole issue, I'm not a fan of it, either. I like the RPG's definition of the ASC and their place in the world.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

I like the novels that followed the show (#1-12 IIRC), but Sentinels wore a bit thin, and from #18 (End of the Circle) onward they were complete crap.

The Good: The story is much more complete, linking the three series better in my opinion.

The Bad: Protoculture goes from alien power source/food, to the spice Melange from Dune...

The Ugly: Rem and Minmei conceived Zor?!? huh???!!!
So many cosmic paradoxes there...
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

I like the novels, but I disliked how it ended - "The End of the Circle" :x.

Also the crap of "Thinking caps" :x - nonsense.

Sentinels were good (what Robotech II should have been,if aired).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Robotech_Elder
Wanderer

The Sentinels and the End of the Circle

Unread post by Robotech_Elder »

The Sentinels So much I didnt have too much problem with. There were some various disparity with the availability of mecha namely the Cyclone mecha within the sentinels set of novels. However I did like the inclusion of the Wolff Pack.

My major problem with the ending of book 18 The End of the Circle was that the fact that in that novel it states that all First Generation Protoculture has disappeared out of our universe and into the "Newspace"
that simple fact forgot one little thing....ALL Zentraedi have First Generation Protoculture encoded in their genetic structure therefore all the Zentraedi should be dead. Ok that was my rant about the novels.
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Despite errors that need not be mentioned on yet another thread, I really liked them...until End of the Circle, then I sort of forced myself to finish it. Plod plod plod.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

Janus wrote:Despite errors that need not be mentioned on yet another thread, I really liked them...until End of the Circle, then I sort of forced myself to finish it. Plod plod plod.

That's more than I did. I read the back of the book and didn't even bother trying to read the damned thing.
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

The Good: Gap filling. The explaination of what happened to the Red Alpha IMO is a nice example.

The Bad: Five year folds to repair IMO author laziness with length of Sentinels, thinking caps and making changes to series events to make them fit while almost telling us in bold when this was done to try and cement the need for them, poor description of mecha such as most of the Alpha descriptions coming across as just identical to the VF-1 (World Killers with it's VF-1 style nose-cone detach scene worst offender towards the start)

The Ugly: EOTC and it's shafting of New Gen characters in favor of Macross Saga ones. At least their kids got turned into mutants :)
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Lt. Holmes wrote:
Janus wrote:Despite errors that need not be mentioned on yet another thread, I really liked them...until End of the Circle, then I sort of forced myself to finish it. Plod plod plod.

That's more than I did. I read the back of the book and didn't even bother trying to read the damned thing.

I felt I had to at least read it to say I read the entire series. Darn this OCD.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I just read a bit of End of the Circle today.... Horrid only is the tip of the iceberg with how bad this book is... if the rest are as bad... I'll just Stick to the Anime, and not worry about some Aweful interpitation of the show.

How can EOC be an interpretation of the show? It was never made, even though Macek had plans to.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Tetsuya wrote:Black Hole Travel Agency was great.. but i cant find more than the first 2 books anymore...

I liked the novels because they attempted to put the series together into a coherent whole.... regardless that some of the facts didnt jive with the series (they really couldnt, trying to make the whole series fit together).

a coherent whole story is more important to me than minute facts or "treatment" of the ASC.

Robotech as Aired in 85 Episodes Fit together with Little problems... the Novels Try to Fit the Sentinels in to Robotech... as well as Progressing Maceks Base "Minmay is god" Storyline from Oddesy. the Novels Made this Work by Mangeling the Timeline, and completly Villinazing the UEG.
The Mckinney Timelin has Lancer Getting Shot down by Invid a year before they invade. Has Carpenters Ships Leaving for earth in 2027 (but it his Crew members clearly say they were on the ship for 15 years...), so it fits with his Story.

the Novels miss the target telling a Story about robotech... and go to create its own Canon and Blantly ignores 90% of the series.

Heres a good List of Errors Mckinney has in his books: [url=http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/mckinney.html]The McKinney Purist FAQ
[/url]

How does villanizing the UEG make Minmei=god work? Besides I could have sworn that Minmei does not = god. However, Regis and Haydon = near god. How does being the mother of Zor for the next rotation = god?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

How can EOC be an interpretation of the show? It was never made, even though Macek had plans to.

hmmmm... the Books are an Interpertation of the Show... and a bad one... or do you not get that? EOTC is terrible... and if it is any reflection on how the rest are... I'll just let them rot ans stick to DL novels.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

[/url]

How does villanizing the UEG make Minmei=god work? Besides I could have sworn that Minmei does not = god. However, Regis and Haydon = near god. How does being the mother of Zor for the next rotation = god?

hmmm... Carl Macek has said he wanted to make "Minmei the mother-creator of Robotech"... Macek never wrote much about Haydon excpet as the PLanet the Invid oddupy and the Regis uses to find the SDF-1.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I like the novels because they gave the insight of our main characters as well as a world over view. I take what i want from the anime series and the novels to create my own gaming world.

I did not care for the end of the circle book either. I thought it was beyond wierd, heck i could have handled strange. but that one was off the chart in craps ville.

I would agree the entry at the begining of each chapter was great. I thought it gave more insight of the universe.

And taking protoculure beyond fuel and food was not nessary. But then again i only use what i want in my gaming world and appricated them for helpping to keep robotech in the eye and growing.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

Like - I have only read the novels that cover the Macross era and I really liked those. It gave me more insight to the characters and what was going on. I also liked the "Thinking Caps" and the pseudo-psychic link between pilot and mech.

Dislike - I read EOTC once and it was very confusing and so I did not like it much.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”