Light and Dark

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dekrain

Re: Light and Dark

Unread post by Dekrain »

I could see how it would work if the god were anarchist, too. I mean, folks in the Norse religion respected and worshipped Loki (not even a god really; more a giant or a titan), as part of the Gods of Light, though he would as often work for evil causes as for good. On many occasions, he helped and aided Odin and Thor in their adventures, and yet he is, according to latest report, tied to a stone with his own son's intestines and acid burning in his eyes for being responsible for the death of Baldur.

Honestly, I can't see why an Abberant Evil monk wouldn't be a possibility either. Monks tend to be more up on the discipline and honor than always doing what is right; besides, evil monks make great bad guys.

Mixing His Monks,
Dekrain Kole
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Most Pantheons have a leader, I would judge the overall leaning of the Pantheon by that god.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Strictly speaking, the Gods of Light consist solely of the Pantheon of Ra. However, neither the Warrior Monk nor the Priest of Light (despite its name) say that they only worship the Gods of Light. The Warrior Monk is simply listed as having the same allegiance to a god as the Priest of Light, which normally includes gods of appropriate alignment who have churches or monasteries in the character's current homeland. There are occasional exceptions of course, such as the Anarchist Spider-Goddess Tark who has both Priests of Light and Priests of Darkness in her church.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:Most Pantheons have a leader, I would judge the overall leaning of the Pantheon by that god.

besides the Pantheons of Light and Taut I would judge individually, per God/Godess. for instance, if we take a look at the Southern Gods, I wouldnt give the complete Pantheon a "label", stating either Light or Dark. same goes for the Pantheon of Rurga and others...

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

My understanding of "God of Light" would be anyone which is good aligned which may or may not include those that are unprincipled.

As for Warrior Monks, I view the passage that indicates that they follow gods of light to mean the majority do so. Otherwise, it doesn't encompass the broad span of morality and faith that the world of Palladia demonstrates.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

You could make an argument either way about it.

If the GM in your particular game wants to create an Abberant order (literally), or go so far as to start creating Warrior Monk sects of Rurga or any other Scrupulous or Principled Deity, go for it. Or, conversely, he could simply create an order where "any honourable person" or any person "who worships an honourable Deity" would be welcome...BUT, it is up to the GM!

The only other real way to do it (by the interpertation that only those worshiping Ra and his closest friends are welcome) would be after a crisis of faith, and conversion to a different faith.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Personaly, when I make Warrior Monks, or Priest I tend to use Dragonwright as my Pantheon.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”