TK Punch Daggers

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

TK Punch Daggers

Unread post by Library Ogre »

So, let's say I have the minor psychic power of TK Punch. I also have a katar, also known as punch daggers. As their handle is perpendicular to the blade, they can be used to make a punch-like stab.

How does TK Punch interact with weapons of any sort, but, especially, ones designed to specifically emulate or enhance unarmed attacks?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Re: TK Punch Daggers

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, an even better option would be the Cestus of the Gladiator. That or something like sap gloves. Since you asked the question, I guess you're not going to apply your aura rule to this. I think the question is does the TK ADD the damage to the punch or does it do ONLY that much damage? The three options:

1. It does not. The damage is what it is, regardless of what is in your hand, or what your strength is. If you are Pete the Paladin under the effects of the spell Superhuman Strength and you perform a roundhouse kick, as most armored and armored knights do, it would be 5d6 damage as opposed to 3d6 +15 damage. And if you are a demon with a 31 or higher PS, a TK punch will do less damage than your regular punch. So, it's essentially an option for smaller, weaker creatures to do a little damage and to pull some muscles. It only works with bare fists because anything else is in the aura and cannot be accelerated by TK.

2. It adds damage to ANY attack that mimics the body mechanics of a punch, but replaces the force of the human body with the TK. So, punch daggers, cestus, etc. would be have their attacks accelerated to do an additional 4d6 damage.

3. TK is added. Now, you're really powering up this ability. It just adds 4d6 to a punch or 5d6 to a kick. This is even better than W.P. Battle Axe! You throw in something like the Cestus or punch daggers and you've created an interesting pugilist who can stand toe to toe with armed soldiers. Of course, they'd be in trouble with parrying, and they'd run out of ISP quick, but that would be something. I would limit that to only items that require the same body mechanics as a punch or one of the many kicks in Palladium. A jump kick, would be really powerful.

In all of the above examples, I think you would still add things like the +4 to damage for H2H Assassin.

-Vek
"Rather than highjack this thread with a kicking question, I'll make a new post."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I would only allow the damage that it normally does, so its 4d6+ps for a punch for example, but if your ps is magically increased it still counts as its your current ps. Weapons and other items would not come into it. Best used with the boxing extra attack.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Well I wouldnt want to amend the rules from written in any of my games but if I were to:

I think the force is actually generated by thought (think a mind bolt) however the more the psychic believes it's powerful the more damage it does (hence the punch/kick difference). So maybe with that trail of thought, the psychic believes the blade will do more damage so it does....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote:Well, an even better option would be the Cestus of the Gladiator. That or something like sap gloves. Since you asked the question, I guess you're not going to apply your aura rule to this.

I'm not sure how aura WOULD apply to this?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Library Ogre wrote:So, let's say I have the minor psychic power of TK Punch. I also have a katar, also known as punch daggers. As their handle is perpendicular to the blade, they can be used to make a punch-like stab.

How does TK Punch interact with weapons of any sort, but, especially, ones designed to specifically emulate or enhance unarmed attacks?

I don't think it is intended to work with Weapons of any sort, though it could. Based on the way the power is described it works by TK-enhancing your muscles IMHO, given you still have to make the motion AND any PS Attribute Damage bonus is added in.

This makes me think the power, even if combined with a hand held weapon, would work similar to how SN PS works with hand weapon (PF2E pg18) which is Wpn + PS-Bonus or SN HTH Attack + PS-Bonus which ever is higher. In this case you'll be hard pressed to find (non-magical and/or giant) weapons that would match the 4d6 damage from a TK Punch to even be a factor. You could also use the optional rule(s) about SN PS and hand weapons breaking and/or being additive (which isn't in PF2E pg18, but found in Rifts IIRC).

The only exception I could see is weapons that specifically state they alter your punch damage, as opposed to supersede it, would then be additive to the TK punch damage.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The power doesn't make sense, it says its a force and it has a range of 1ft per level so it's a tk attack, but PS affects the damage so its not a tk attack.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:The power doesn't make sense, it says its a force and it has a range of 1ft per level so it's a tk attack, but PS affects the damage so its not a tk attack.

This. ^^^

Greetings and Salutations. I was going to bring up the odd design of the power (and that's why I can't really answer the question), but didn't want to derail the thread. On a related note though, I once toyed with the idea that the range is the size of weapon you can extend it to. So level 1 is only 1 foot, and couldn't extend much more than a small dagger. But as we level up we get to large swords and eventually pole arms. However, I never really explored the ability or idea further as I don't think I've ever had a player select it. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

kiralon wrote:The power doesn't make sense, it says its a force and it has a range of 1ft per level so it's a tk attack, but PS affects the damage so its not a tk attack.

It is probably an editing error where while the TK attack can be a (somewhat) ranged attack...but if it connects physically the PS bonus is added into the attack.

But then again, I can't find the TK punch psi power in the PF2 core book so this question would probably better be asked in the Rifts Forum or Magic & Psi forum.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:But then again, I can't find the TK punch psi power in the PF2 core book so this question would probably better be asked in the Rifts Forum or Magic & Psi forum.

Greetings and Salutations. Palladium Fantasy Second Edition page 167, right column, Telekinetic Punch. I'm using a Third Printing book, but it's not listed in the Errata section, so I have no reason to believe it's missing from previous printings. As the power is listed in the Palladium Fantasy setting (in the main book which makes it even easier to find), this forum is a perfectly acceptable place to ask the question, despite your personal objections. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Okay I was looking in the Super psi part...NM
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

In my opinion, based on the fact that the power allows for the addition of the users PS damage bonus, I would allow the punch daggers to add whatever their damage is to the attack.

My HOUSE RULE
Instead of adding the PS damage bonus, I would add the ME bonus to the damage of the TK Punch.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”