DeadBoy Armor Literacy Question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slimon386
D-Bee

DeadBoy Armor Literacy Question.

Unread post by Slimon386 »

So for the updated Coalition Grunt armor that first appeared in the war campaign book theres a section describing how the armor is capable of reading for the soldier. Now I can understand how that works but me and a friend are curious on the second use. That being the fact the armor can read out the letters of the word to the user. I dunno if we dont understand how it works with a normal grunt either not knowing how to read or write, or even know the alphabet. So what would the use of this be? Like if the grunt knows the alphabet then surely they know how to read the letters right so whats the point of the armor saying the letters if the grunt could read?
"I have underestimated your talents Slimon, you have completly shattered all of my expectations. You are in fact beyond a shadow of a doubt the real deal. A Genuine Idiot!"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: DeadBoy Armor Literacy Question.

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well likely it is read aloud letter by letter coincidentally for acronyms like FBI, CIA, NEMA, etc that aren't true words, especially if they appear with period marks separating letters. (I played around with the concept here in a text to speech program called espeak for a minute or so, and essentially it would "read" the letters out loud).

It might also be useful for world fragments, at least for reports or to relay to someone who can read ("we found a door with ruined markings of "D__G_R", or the markings on the door said "D_CT__ P__RCE"). They might also be able to piece things together phonetically even with the missing letters when read aloud with some degree of accuracy.

It might also be useful for context like telling the difference between "one" and "won" if you can't query a word for a definition, or just words it is not familiar with (loan words, names, words using old world spellings, etc).

It is also worth pointing out that it is more accurate to say the majority of grunts can not read in the CS, but some can (this is even mentioned in the description), but also keep in mind the feature is present on all CS EBA even for those OCCs who can read automatically (per OCC skill list). So it may also be a feature that illiterate CS soldiers can not utilize, but is there for the elite few who can.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

The text in the book may be a bit tad confusing. However, to be clear the two uses as described are:

1. The grunt reads out the letters (or partial word, as was suggested) and the computer verbally tells the grunt what the word(s) is, perhaps with a definition or synonym.

Very useful for anachronistic words (i.e. failed language or literacy roll), as not everyone has a vocabulary like Shakespeare. Perhaps if linked with a portable translator, it could do more than just "American" English or Quebecois French. (GM idea: Imagine buggy software or a damaged suit that constantly reads signs or offers definitions without being prompted... very evil)

2. The grunt looks at the letters with a linked multi-optic patch or bionic eye and the computer verbally tells the grunt what the word(s) is - text to speech.

The computer would not spell the word back to the grunt, as this may inadvertently teach a grunt to read over time.

It is not just usable by literate grunts, it is to enable all grunts since the only requirement for use is to have an MO patch or bionic eye. Literacy is not required. In a resource constrained war economy, it would make no sense to issue a tool in the millions that only 30% can use.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Slimon386 wrote:So for the updated Coalition Grunt armor that first appeared in the war campaign book theres a section describing how the armor is capable of reading for the soldier. Now I can understand how that works but me and a friend are curious on the second use. That being the fact the armor can read out the letters of the word to the user. I dunno if we dont understand how it works with a normal grunt either not knowing how to read or write, or even know the alphabet. So what would the use of this be? Like if the grunt knows the alphabet then surely they know how to read the letters right so whats the point of the armor saying the letters if the grunt could read?

Greetings and Salutations. I feel like I have a different understanding of the section, so I'm not sure if I'm reading something different or if I'm just interpreting the passage differently. As such, I'll give a book, page, section, and small quote.

Rifts World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign, page 100, left column, 5th bullet point wrote:The computer can also "read" for the soldier (85% are illiterate). This is done either by reading the letters composing the word (assuming the character knows the alphabet; 70% don't) or with an optic link via the multi-optic eye patch or bionic eye linked to the computer. The new heavy armor has an automatic optic link built into the armor.

Okay, so let's start with what you refer to the "multi-optic eye patch of bionic eye" option. This is nice, and the computer will do all the reading for you. However, it requires additional gear. Yes, it comes built into the "heavy" armor, but this won't help "light, "standard," "juicer" or other types of Dead Boy armor (anything less than "heavy"). So a soldier with "Standard" Dead Boy armor will need a bionic eye or a "multi-optic eye patch." This means extra gear, and extra money. Basically, the soldier has to find a way to make this work.

The other option is for the soldier to read the letters aloud. Now, only 30% of all Grunts (or maybe 30% of the 85% illiterate Grunts) can do this. But those that can would go: "D - O - G" and their computer would go: "Dog!" This is probably slower, but would also prevent the Grunt from needing to buy additional equipment. Basically, an economy version, but only helps the 30%. Knowing your letters though isn't the same as knowing how to read, as there are lots of rules and (especially in English) exceptions to those rules along with silent letters and other complications. So it's not the armor saying letters aloud (as I believe I gleamed from the original post), but the Grunt saying the letters and the armor turning those letters into words. I'm reminded of this scene from Regarding Henry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lGZmV8_XxU Think about how he tries to pronounce "are" and "you" without knowing how to read, but still knowing his alphabet. Now, in this scene, he learns to read rather quickly, but presumably he's putting forth a lot of effort, isn't being discouraged, already knew how to read before his amnesia (so may have been easier for his brain to re-connect some of the dots), and of course is a movie.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

letter by letter would also be useful for reading registry numbers, ID codes, and so on.

after all, "AIM-54" can be read as a word, but when dealing with an inventory system the individual letters and numbers would be more useful. and stuff like the AN/APG-71 can't really be done as words. and we know both are in use by the CS navy. it is likely that all CS equipment has inventory numbers and type numbers.. and grunts likely would still need to be able to verify that the numbers on the stuff they got match what was issued.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

glitterboy2098 wrote:letter by letter would also be useful for reading registry numbers, ID codes, and so on...

In a Coalition-type society, I could see extensive use of bar codes, qr codes, holograms and the like rather than alphanumeric serial numbers or other designations in everyday life. Look at the bar code, a picture shows up on the HUD, computerized glasses/goggles, or eyepatch, and if it matches you're good to go. Even cans of soda would likely have a brand icon and/or a bar code, rather than words and numbers on the side of the can.

Also, despite current day use of model numbers, the selection may be more limited in the CS, for example in the books we don't have dozens of CS pistols to choose from. So, perhaps they use names to identify things (e.g. instead of CP-50, they just say "Dragonfire" and visually it is identified on screen menus by an icon of a fire-breathing dragon head over a rifle outline).

For technical parts that would be accessible to engineers, operators and the like who are literate, serial numbers may still be used to identify components, but likely not a primary function of this body armor function used by, or even known to, all troops.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

I found it a very clunky and unnecessary attempt to patch the whole "except for the elites the society is illiterate, ergo they have zero capacity to read." If you actually get that far into it, the CS couldn't possibly exist if that were the case. No technological society could possibly exist, nor military achieve what it does, without much greater rates of basic literacy/numeracy. Hence why many concepts in Rifts (and most RPGs) are best left as flavour text or background issues for the GM to deal with at their table.

I did a blog post on Literacy rates and what they actually mean, using census and National Centre for Education Studies data on US literacy rates. Fun fact, at present, nearly 25% of US citizens would meet the italicized definition above for both Literacy and Numeracy (Math: Basic). Being illiterate is less about not being able to read because one doesn't know what the alphabet letters and numbers are even trying to convey, and more they can't handle reading more than baseline phrases and forms in their native language.

As for the armour specifically, I personally would have it scan particular texts/signs and read them out loud on command, or receive orders from their superiors and do a text-to-speech function.

https://www.scholarlyadventures.com/pos ... ifts-earth

Link for those who care to see the data.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

So, it would seem that most would agree the function of the armor provides some degree of text-to-speech. Without a canon source to expand on it, how that function is used and/or adapted should be left to the irrepressible creativity of GM and players.

Francois, thank you for the link to your blog. I read it. I was not convinced. A strong argument can still be made for a high tech society to function sustainably with illiteracy rates of ~70%. Simply think what ChatGPT-esque consumer accessible AI, TikTok visual culture, AI-driven industrial automation, and data hyper-visualization through augmented reality could achieve if given another 75 years to foment and rapidly evolve, then buried, and then dug up again 200 years later in a world with barely any civilization and a fascist polity. But, yes, the stats are interesting and I would agree that, unlike the game mechanics, IRL there is more nuance to literacy rates.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

Grazzik wrote:<snip>

A strong argument can still be made for a high tech society to function sustainably with illiteracy rates of ~70%. Simply think what ChatGPT-esque consumer accessible AI, TikTok visual culture, AI-driven industrial automation, and data hyper-visualization through augmented reality could achieve if given another 75 years to foment and rapidly evolve, then buried, and then dug up again 200 years later in a world with barely any civilization and a fascist polity.

<snip>

Given how "illiterate" is defined nowadays, I could easily make/support the argument that most CS citizens are incapable of anything past the most basic reading of signs and forms; basically a grade 3-4 level of reading, which is supported by the NCES data. The idea that CS citizens have absolutely zero capacity to read or count makes the idea of a technological society utterly impossible. Sure, you can leverage signs and symbols for a certain amount, but is unfeasible after a point.

Just in the CS military, you'd have to assume some serious "handwavium" solution space for all the CS Grunts and learning Robot Combat and Sensory Equipment, both of which require a lot more than simply turning the machine on and some OJT. Heck, reading the skill description of the latter, it is ludicrous to imagine an operator without at least *some* level of education and literacy. <shrug>

As part of a Skills Redux, I've suggested it to Sean (and Kevin) to present something like the baseline ability for Literacy and Math: Basic (call it 30% to 40%) with negatives for difficulty of the text, stress, or combat situations to all CS citizens to better represent this dynamic. Failure doesn't mean you fail to read at all (it could for a language other than their Native Language), but more the PC failed to glean key information, figures, or misunderstood the intent of the text.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

desrocfc wrote:The idea that CS citizens have absolutely zero capacity to read or count makes the idea of a technological society utterly impossible.

My apologies, but the words "utterly impossible" in relation to a world torn apart by magical energies, peopled by beings from thousands of dimensions, and sporting 50ft bipedal robots seems a tad ... limiting.

Once it was utterly impossible for people to fly through the air from one place to another.
Once it was utterly impossible to use the essence of lightning to form a moving image on a piece of glass.
Once it was utterly impossible to make soy bean paste taste like beef. (OK, maybe this one is utterly impossible)

So forgive me if I still believe it is utterly possible where a society more technologically advanced than our own with an incredible abundance of energy and engrained socio-educational controls that dictate and regulate almost every aspect of a person's daily experience can function sustainably after 70% of the population abandoned the alphabet as a means to exchange information. (As per the game mechanic, I consider the use of numbers to count things as Math Basic, so not in scope for Literacy.)

IRL The last company I worked for was in the process of abandoning instructional text for short videos explaining and demonstrating complex tasks in bite-sized chunks, including policies. In another, a customer was envisioning a fully non-text user interface to sell products. The last prescription I got, there was no text... I simply walked next door to the pharmacist who had already gotten instructions from the doctor, prepared my prescription and billed my insurer. My bank has neat color-coded pie charts showing money in and money out based on types of revenue / purchases. Add a few avatars/emojis/symbols and IRL I wouldn't need the alphabet for any of these scenarios. Tie in a portable networked pocket-sized computer with unlimited data, sensors, cameras, and a dash of AI and Bob's your uncle... oh wait.

desrocfc wrote:Just in the CS military, you'd have to assume some serious "handwavium" solution space for all the CS Grunts and learning Robot Combat and Sensory Equipment, both of which require a lot more than simply turning the machine on and some OJT. Heck, reading the skill description of the latter, it is ludicrous to imagine an operator without at least *some* level of education and literacy. <shrug>

First off, this is a GAME requiring theatre of the mind. Handwavium is all we've got beyond what's written in the books.

Caveat - I have zero military experience, but how would one learn to aim an M203 for variable distances? Read a field manual??? Or just watch a one minute segment of a video on YouTube? I did the latter a couple days ago.
How does one get really shiny military boots for parade? Hey Google... ah, a video showing step by step.
How does one file a CS after action report in Tolkeen? Look in the camera, click the green button, speak, press the red button with the arrow pointing up to a cloud.

Great technology is so easy to use it is intuitive to the point of being second nature. Ever see a baby try to double-click or swipe on a paper magazine? It's hilarious and scary at the same time!

Pilot Related: Sensory Equip... So I googled images of HUD layouts for civilian and military vehicles showing speed, distance, vectors, other objects, vehicle status, time/date, etc. I see lots of colors, symbols, gauges, numbers, and standardized layouts. There were some acronyms that could be replaced and almost no words. Okay, so maybe it is some other type of sensor that's so tricky to use without an alphabet... so I googled "digital gauge" and "digital display" and the like, since sensors measure stuff and their data is to be then displayed on some sort of gauge or display. Yup, a bunch of great pics, but what I noticed was there were very few words on the displays, just measurement acronyms... something that could be replaced with symbols or simply standardized UI layout. Fish finders, HVAC gauges, radar displays, medical devices - the list goes on. Bottom line: education does not equal literacy in a world of audio/video education. And we ain't even in the so-called Golden Age yet... who knows what's to come after we get bored of swiping...

Return to “Rifts®”