The Invincibility of the CS?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

boring7
Explorer

Re: The Invincibility of the CS?

Unread post by boring7 »

SycophantNagaraja wrote:I've always seen the parallels between the CS and the Nazis ever since I picked up the first books and I've never felt like I was on a soap box for using that frame of reference to my players (who also tend to see the same things without my descriptors).

Not that I have a dog in this hunt but I'm curious how they 'aren't'. I see a lot of heated debates that seem to only amount to countering points made by people who feel they are. Rather than actual points made to why they aren't.

Technically you can't prove a negative, so you can't prove they aren't (insert group here).

I think a lot of the CS-defenders don't actually have a clear concept of what the Nazis were beyond the Villains of movies and TV. Hans the German Soldier was NOT a bloody-minded sadist as he gunned down French Civilians in retaliation to the latest "terrorist attack" by La Resistance. He was a family man with kids to feed listening to propaganda and trying to quell the bad feelings with "these people are monsters, they tried to subjugate and enslave us after WWI, they must be controlled or they will do terrible things to us again." It's not THAT HARD to understand Hans or his thought processes or how he could shoot a kid in the face because that kid was randomly selected.

Understanding who and how he did it doesn't make what he did right.
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

boring7 wrote:
SycophantNagaraja wrote:I've always seen the parallels between the CS and the Nazis ever since I picked up the first books and I've never felt like I was on a soap box for using that frame of reference to my players (who also tend to see the same things without my descriptors).

Not that I have a dog in this hunt but I'm curious how they 'aren't'. I see a lot of heated debates that seem to only amount to countering points made by people who feel they are. Rather than actual points made to why they aren't.

Technically you can't prove a negative, so you can't prove they aren't (insert group here).

I think a lot of the CS-defenders don't actually have a clear concept of what the Nazis were beyond the Villains of movies and TV. Hans the German Soldier was NOT a bloody-minded sadist as he gunned down French Civilians in retaliation to the latest "terrorist attack" by La Resistance. He was a family man with kids to feed listening to propaganda and trying to quell the bad feelings with "these people are monsters, they tried to subjugate and enslave us after WWI, they must be controlled or they will do terrible things to us again." It's not THAT HARD to understand Hans or his thought processes or how he could shoot a kid in the face because that kid was randomly selected.

Technically there should actually be a plausible reason for someone to take a stance, on one side or the other outside of continual counterpointing each comment that indicates that the CS are fashioned after the Nazis. Otherwise there isn't any logical reason for the debate on either side.

That's why I was wanting to hear the reasoning behind why people feel they aren't. I'm not worried about if they are accurate or inaccurate, I just wanted to see reasoning outside of effectively saying "nu huh no they aint"
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SycophantNagaraja wrote:
boring7 wrote:

Technically there should actually be a plausible reason for someone to take a stance, on one side or the other outside of continual counterpointing each comment that indicates that the CS are fashioned after the Nazis. Otherwise there isn't any logical reason for the debate on either side.

That's why I was wanting to hear the reasoning behind why people feel they aren't. I'm not worried about if they are accurate or inaccurate, I just wanted to see reasoning outside of effectively saying "nu huh no they aint"

Well...
...I find it interesting that it is always the same two or three people that claim that the CS is not based on Nazis/evil/committing genocide/aggressors/what ever
And the arguments always seem to boil down to "all examples of bad things from the book are mistakes, all examples of good things from the books are the only things that matter, and ignore the man behind the curtain/leadership they don't count"
Now that it has started, it will become the usual circular flame war until locked.
My two credits is that some people are huge fans of the CS, and since they don't want to be fans of an empire of genocidal monsters out there doing evil... their fanon is that they are really just misunderstood; or that they are forced to do it; or that the other guys are worse; or that their enemies asked for it; or that it was all the mistakes of this junior officer or that one and not official policy; that the CS are these heroic noble defenders of humanity who are the only hope of mankind in a dark world where everyone else is out to kill of the humans; or basically anything but the CS being bad guys.

I also find it interesting that the people who always race to the defense of the CS also tend to support the "party line" on other issues such as magic, psionics, races, D-bees, property, manifest destiny and the like.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

[quote="eliakon] Well...
...I find it interesting that it is always the same two or three people that claim that the CS is not based on Nazis/evil/committing genocide/aggressors/what ever
And the arguments always seem to boil down to "all examples of bad things from the book are mistakes, all examples of good things from the books are the only things that matter, and ignore the man behind the curtain/leadership they don't count"
Now that it has started, it will become the usual circular flame war until locked.
My two credits is that some people are huge fans of the CS, and since they don't want to be fans of an empire of genocidal monsters out there doing evil... their fanon is that they are really just misunderstood; or that they are forced to do it; or that the other guys are worse; or that their enemies asked for it; or that it was all the mistakes of this junior officer or that one and not official policy; that the CS are these heroic noble defenders of humanity who are the only hope of mankind in a dark world where everyone else is out to kill of the humans; or basically anything but the CS being bad guys.

I also find it interesting that the people who always race to the defense of the CS also tend to support the "party line" on other issues such as magic, psionics, races, D-bees, property, manifest destiny and the like.[/quote]

Thank you for that. And my statement to that effect is: it's a game. It's ok to like the bad guys. Fans of Star Wars are in the same boat and there are TONS and TONS of people who dress as Sith and Stormtroopers. But they are still the bad guys even if we happen to like them.

I've always viewed the CS, based on how KS has written them, as the Nazis but in a factual position of being humanity's savior (as written they are the strongest nation of humans in NA). The people who know better hate it (like Tarn) and know exactly what it means for humanity. They are largely powerless to stop it for now because they know most of the CS citizenry are just sheeple lead by a leader who really knows how to capitalize on that. And if you like those moral ambiguities (trying to be good in a system of evil, corruption, and malaise) then go read Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series. Almost the whole of the series could be ported over to a CS storyline note for note. It would make for a perfect story arc of CS Special forces types who work the fringe of their society to find that the story the Proseks are selling isn't exactly the truth, insert a version of Walon Vau and Kal Skirata and you have a heck of a game exploring the underbelly of the CS, it's machinations, the absolute ignorance of the population, and just how evil the government is.

But as for the original topic that started this thread: If you were the writer, or at least able to heavily influence the writing of a future book or two for Rifts how would you deal with what is written now and make it more inline with what you feel is better or more accurate? And I don't mean a retcon. Would you have the CS throw down with someone big to thin out the numbers and bring in more instability from some where? Would you create more political drama within the ruling party?

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

SycophantNagaraja wrote:But as for the original topic that started this thread: If you were the writer, or at least able to heavily influence the writing of a future book or two for Rifts how would you deal with what is written now and make it more inline with what you feel is better or more accurate? And I don't mean a retcon. Would you have the CS throw down with someone big to thin out the numbers and bring in more instability from some where? Would you create more political drama within the ruling party?

All of the above.

Well, sort of. I just drop the Orb of Solomon (SoT 1) on his head and let things shake out from there. For those who DON'T remember; the Orb of Solomon let's you see with absolute clarity what a piece of garbage you have been your entire life, every lie you ever told yourself, every sin you ever rationalized, and after breaking you down psychologically proceeds to motivate you to fix it and start doing good with your life.

After that you basically start up the campaign idea running in a certain other thread about un-breaking Rifts Earth. Establish backchannel agreements with reasonable neighbors, send the psychopathic murderbot leaders into a campaign that will get them killed (hey look, Minion War), start quietly hiring deniable assets and working sanctioned, "safe" magic items into the repertoire (See the Invisible Amulets are a pretty big game-changer for fighting certain kinds of demon). Just start lying about magic things being "Psy-tech" and make an open alliance with the Lemurians, etc.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

boring7 wrote: -Kevin Sembieda literally said, "yeah, they're the nazis but with more skulls."

Cite your source.

boring7 wrote: -It is canon that failing to go full genocide-purge on civilian D-Bees results in court-martial and (potentially) execution.

Again. Cite your source.

boring7 wrote: -The "leaders evil/troops good" is NEVER ignored in these threads,

It is, when people call the CS evil, when the vast majority of the people in the CS are not evil and the vast majority of the people in the CS military are also, not evil.

boring7 wrote: also "some" severely downplays just how much of the CS leadership is puppy-kickingly evil.

Not really. Some people have played the game for years, think they remember things that simply aren't in the book. Some of the CS leadership are evil, but seldom are they anywhere near how some people on the forums depict them. It's almost comical in that aspect. And yes, the guys screaming 'Nazi nazi nazi" because they dress in black, tend to 'lead' that faction.

boring7 wrote: -Rifts has a LOT of good-guy groups out there, these groups are even (occasionally) retconned to be "more evil" and it's still not enough to make the CS a "shade of grey" in moral terms.

You said there were a HOST of regions which humans are just fine, often better than the CS.

ok..... Where? Where are all these millions of humans doing just fine with out resorting to the CS's tactics.

boring7 wrote: -"Peace through power" while refusing to make deals with other powers (like Cyber-knights, or Lazlo, or any other power that is willing to talk/deal) is not just evil, it's stupid.

Not agreeing to do what other suggest isn't a mark of evil. Nor is refusing to ally with alien invaders from other planets and dimensions. Seeing what happened with the "Peaceful" Kingdom of Tolkeen and them field armies of thousands of literal demons. One could easily argue that not allying with that kind of power, is pretty flippin' smart.

boring7 wrote: -Doesn't matter if the other political groups are "smaller" or "less influential", they have power the CS could USE instead of beating its head against and it doesn't "because evil".

Buy the HoH book. :).

Not trying to be cryptic but.. seriously. It's addressed. The CS "Does" use them.

boring7 wrote: -No, I'm not "misunderstanding the setting." I'm pointing out the setting can't have it both ways. You can't have dynamic character development AND have status quo is god.

You can. You just have to work at it. You can have a status quo and tell plenty of stories around it. Not for nothing but the movment of the setting is glacial. It's advanced under a dozen years in the time line, in decades of real time.

boring7 wrote: -Yes, the Coalition can lie to itself about who started the Tolkeen War. It's still a lie and the Coalition Leadership knows it.

Really? Did the CS invade another planet? Did they occupy territory on that other planet? Did they pose threat to the forces on that other planet? Did they squat there for 100s of years, building cities? Did they militerize on another planet, just a few 100 miles from a capital on that planet? No?

That was.. tolkeen and it's forces of Dbees, mages, dragons, demons, witches, etc?

The CS is defending humanity from a clear and present danger.

Proof. The siege on tolkeen books. Tolkeen's leaders. All Evil. Built up military might for years, broke out ARMIES of demons so horrible, that other demons even hated them and locked them up, to turn loose on humanity.

Please tell me more of how Tolkeen was sweet and innocent and not at all sharing in fault?

boring7 wrote: -Same regarding the Juicer Uprising

The Juicers were not murderous mercenaries? Huh.... Books seem to disagree with you.

boring7 wrote: -Minion War is CS' fault too.

Blatant lie. Sorry. but it just is.

boring7 wrote: It gets a foothold on earth because they kill everybody who can actually DO something about the rifts or hellpits

Also a lie. There's plenty of mages and what have you left on rifts earth. So the implication is a lie. That said. The people doing something 'about the rifts' aren't exactly flying around at warp speed pulling super hero like feats.

As to the hellpits. The CS is going to do something about those.

boring7 wrote: (takes a spellcaster to cast the close rift spell). It's like how if you destroy every medical lab you can find, it's your fault the next pandemic can't be stopped.

The CS Succeeded in destroying all the mages on earth??? Wow.. I missed that book. Please cite your source.

And no. "Fault" doesn't lay with someone destroying medical labs. They didn't cause the pandemic. A virus did. Perhaps someone created the virus, they may be attributed with it, buy you can't 'blame' someone for lack of action based on a first action. That's a post hoc egro protor hoc sort of arguement. After therefore because of it. It's vary rarely true.

boring7 wrote: Also I'm pretty sure the minion war is only a few years old. Age-old rivalries and cold wars don't count.

BOY are you wrong. lol. The ones landing on earth now, are landing after being 'in transit' for 100s of years. lol that's why they're landing staggered and in (Realitivly) small numbers. The Minion war has been going on for a long time.

boring7 wrote: -CS' biggest problem is they have to match numbers with numbers in Xit territory.

It is a large problem. One that the setting, other than a few stand out instances (The Xit book for example) Pretty much ignores. There's some new tactics being tried in the next few books. I've seen them in the preview books, but they won't solve the problem either. The problem, as written cannot be solved via conventional methods. Something 'new' will have to be developed to solve it. I.E. Super RAID or something that at this point, doesn't exist.

That said the Xit's aren't suddenly invading the lower 48.... they've been the 'same' problem up north for decades. They SHOULD be a horrifying problem but it's a 'out of sight out of mind' for the majority of rifts books and writers.

boring7 wrote: Kill a hive queen and suddenly you just have to contain the bugs while they go crazy, and Tolkeen special forces can kill a hive queen. Your analogy would work better if it was Iran's "million man army" being backed up with British Special Forces. Again, we understand your point, you either don't understand or ignore ours.

No. You're just wrong. There's a difference. I understand what you're saying. What you're saying is for the most part either fabricated or inaccurate. I.E. Wrong.

boring7 wrote: -Coalition actions make humanity less safe in every way.

Lie.

Sorry but it is. Killing invading demon armies doesn't make humanity less safe. Building and maintaining a strong military presence in a beseiged world of unspeakable horrors and aliens from other planets and dimensions doesn't make humanity less safe. When you make such blanket statements they're easy to disprove.

boring7 wrote: That's just the clear and present outcome of their actions.

Killing supernatural evil makes humanity less safe? Please explain this to me.

boring7 wrote: They kill, torture, and enslave more humans than the demons

Laughably inaccurate. Cite your source.

boring7 wrote: and their inability to compromise or even think through their actions have REPEATEDLY hurt themselves and other humans while leaving the True Monsters of the setting unharmed.

Also a blatent lie.
Source? The end of the 'war' (More of a police action) with Free Quebec.
The CS Compromised. The Emp even went on TV. took full blame for the hostilities wifh FQ. Apoligised and named them friends in humanity, and pitched in and aided them. In doing so the two human forces united against a common foe, I.E. Tolkeen, and their True Monsters, and defeated them.

boring7 wrote:
-If the CS is "humanity at its finest" as it murders, tortures, and pillages other humans (as well as aliens and demons) then humanity is pretty dang terrible.

I belive that's the definition of a strawman.
you fabricated a statement "The CS is humanity at it's finest" then attacked it. Whom here claimed that the CS was humanity at it's finest? Some have said that it protects humanity on rifts earth, but to my knowledge I don't remember seeing someone claim that the CS are the finest of humanity, or the finest that humanity has to offer or anything of the sort. If I'm wrong, please point me to the person that said such.

boring7 wrote: -Again, even Kevin admitted they were supposed to be the space-nazis.

Well that's gonna be pretty hard to prove, as the CS have no space assets, and that entire 'killer satalite shield' keeps anyone from getting off earth.

boring7 wrote:
-The CS is not nice to ANYONE, even their own people.

Sure it is. It keeps them safer than any other humans in NA. And safer than MOST other humans on the planet. It shelters them, many in megadamage mega cities. Provides them with technology. Jobs. And FEEDS them Delicious genetically altered super cattle (Book even says the meat tastes better). And the health care. Whoa! CS health care is AMAZING. As it's soldiers can attest. Troops can be mowed down with mega damage weaponry in the field and for the most part, their brains picked up and put in a borg if they signed up for that before hand. Even with out going to that extreme the CS medicine has given it's population a dramatically extended life span over those out side the CS. That seems pretty nice to me, in a post apocalyptic setting. In exchange for these wondrous gifts, it expects people to play by the rules that it sets up. Just like __EVERY COUNTRY EVER IN THE WORLD___ if you live in said country you abide by it's laws. Ther CS's gifts and bonuses are so vast and so dramatic in it's setting that literally millions of people live in shanty towns and squallar, waiting for years on end, to join up and become a CS citizen.

your statement is untrue.

boring7 wrote:
-Feel free to show a SINGLE CS leader that isn't evil. Let alone 3.

General Ross Underhill: Selfish Alignment: Anarchist
Colonel Buck Murphy: Selfish Alignment: Unprincipaled
Dr Fredrick Alexander: Good Alignment: Scrupulous
Jonathan Williams the Third, Unprincipled
Lt. Laquisha "Doc" Sanders, Unprincipled
Ace Gardener, Psi-Battalion, Anarchist
Lt. Maxwell Selig A-Team Senior Officer Anarchist.
Lt. Raul Auerbach, C-Team Senior Officer Principled

Those are all officers or NCOs, or High ranking medical professionals. Generals Colonels, doctors, Lt's, sgts. I left out privates and ones with out rank as you said 'leaders'. So in just a few minutes I found 8... Will that do ya?

boring7 wrote: -Logic is the basis of my assertions. Fallacies are the basis of yours.

No.. I'm afraid not. You've lied repeatedly in your post, formulated "logical fallacies" such as your strawman as well. But mostly you just lied, and or if we're being cheritable "Purposefully misrepresented" things.

boring7 wrote: -No, seriously, Word Of God is that they are the nazis.

God said they were Nazis? Where about was that said?

boring7 wrote:
-And yes, everything I have mentioned is from the books. Everything you have said is...well it's actually a misrepresentation/strawman of me.

Oh no. Your stuff isn't from the books. At the very best it takes something from one book.. something from another... a word here.. a sentence there, wraps them all together, claims it's true, extrapolates on the falsehood presented, claims it's fact and then uses it in defense.

When you're just making stuff up, it's not actually from the books. There's HINTS of stuff from some of the books in some (Little) of what you've said, but mostly it's wild extrapolation off of base or incomplete concepts presented.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Greepnak
Explorer

Unread post by Greepnak »

Eagle wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
They are Nazis that murder defenseless women and children. There is nothing redeeming about them. I mean, sure, it's easy to see them as heroes when killing a big snarling demon...

How do you reconcile that with gunning down a human kid?

You know that happens in basically every war, right? There are at least two dozen countries where that sort of thing is happening, today. And that's in the real world, where you don't have to worry that that kid might actually be a shape-shifting dragon in disguise.

I haven't read the Heroes of Humanity book, but from what I gather from people here, it emphasizes the CS' role as evil bastards, requiring them to gun down women and children for basically no reason. On the other hand, we have virtually every other Rifts sourcebook on the Coalition, where we frequently see CS soldiers turning a blind eye to rubber forehead aliens, and sometimes even to heroic magic users who have proven they aren't drooling baby eaters. Without directly comparing the text of the new book, I can't reconcile those two positions.

You want to see how soldiers could gun down kids? Watch the following movies to get into the Coalition mindset:
Predator
The Omen
John Carpenter's The Thing
Children of the Corn
Apocalypse Now

My bet is that the Coalition's official stance is something along the lines of "if we gunned them down, they probably weren't actually human children".

HoH actually is a lot about the CS's view of themselves as heroic in a world where you can't trust much of anything at face value, along with pointing out very emphatically that the CS is pressured by the Minion War to the point where the CS high command has a "dont ask dont tell" when it comes to magic/alien tech or working with Dbees at that book's metaplot timeline. The book even states that this new weird tolerance could go anywhere if the human race survives the minion war. Those are the stakes though. Basically the minion war legitimizes a lot of the CS attitudes because here is a literal 200 years dark ages style Demon Plague that nobody has the infrastructure to resist except the CS.

They do this because pre tolkeen conflict most CS troops only had a view on magic and aliens from Crazy Aunt Jemma's personal anecdotes and the propaganda machine, but now a lot of troops have been out there in the field (sometimes in entirely differrent bodies thanks to the CS going hard in the paint on full conversion cyborgs to try to save downed soldiers). The HoH book says that a lot of CS troops have experience now seeing mages/dbees in a heroic light or as peers fighting just to survive just like the CS troops are. I really think the metaplot is almost like a rise fromnear extinction, to barbarism, to enlightenment story with bonus lasers with the CS as the main character. I honestly applaud Palladium for it overall.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

One thing worth pointing out here is we are disputing the CS are literally Nazis.

If people were saying "the Coalition are Nazi-esque" instead of "the Coalition are Nazis" there would be much less opposition.

Kind of like how I would disagree with Chairman Karl Prosek/Senator Palpatine being Hitler but would be fine calling either Hitler-esque after becoming Emperor. Before... not as much. Karl Prosek was born a celebrity and had a much more impressive military service than Hitler/Palpatine.

I would also say Karl is Napoleon-esque, Khan-esque and Caesar-esque of course. By his own thoughts he has some of their traits.

HWalsh wrote:King Creed? Oh right. King Creed murdered his own diplomat. King Creed slaughtered innocent villages in Tolkeen territory. King Creed wanted to genocide all deebees and magic practitioners on Earth. King Creed is the cause of the CS invading. He didn't like try diplomacy... Oh wait. He totally did.

Creed was appointed king in 89 PA after the Council of Twelve ruled for a year after the death of King Henchu.

Tolkeen decided to end talks in 71PA so I don't think Creed tried diplomacy. It was presumably Henchu who tried that and even he spent his last 17 years avoiding it, hardening his heart over BagGate.

Sedition 101 didn't say anything about the 6 obliterated Minnesotan villages in 70PA being innocent.
Greepnak
Explorer

Unread post by Greepnak »

I think whether a person owns Heroes of Humanity or not is a big factor on whether the CS are just a trolley problem (no non-harmful choices, including inaction. Somebody's gotta die and you are the one who chooses who) society or an edgier evil interpretation of COBRA.

Without getting lost in numbers (which is a losing game when you are comparing 30 years of books covering feasibly 35 years of canon timeline) the spirit of the thing is that the CS has forged the largest human nation on earth in the absence of reliable long range communication etc because of the nature of the zeitgeist created by propaganda. You need to constantly remind humans not to hate and fear (look at modern prejudice and what it takes to keep it corked) but you don't need to constantly remind them that they have an enemy and thus should rally with their neighbor to oppose that enemy. Karl Prosek straight up says "I have made of my people a weapon, which will accomplish great things." (sic)

As for the CS using scary uniforms... remember there are things on earth whose mentalities are so alien that their only joy is making you suffer as long as possible
in as many ways as possible before you die and are eaten. If my mom might wake up tomorrow in a Thornhead's rape and sausages cave I absolutely would put on the skull helmet and start misting things, as I think most people would. Priorities shift when you believe you are under constant threat of attack. Removed into the third person and safely behind the 4th wall, RPG players might think nothing of this, but truly transplant your thoughts into the mind of a 7 to 12 in all stats person born in a ditch in a world invaded by H.P.Lovecraft's imagination and .. yeah.
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Pepsi Jedi/Axelmania: I posed the question before but either it was missed or the attention is elsewhere so I'll pose it again. Even if Boring7 posts again if you could refrain from going *** for tat with him and just put down your thoughts on why you feel the CS is not the Rifts version of Nazis. I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

And then we get more posts of insults, psychological projection, and other logical fallacies. Also a HELL of a lot of sea-lioning. For posterity, my sources are "RUE, SoT7, and some random interview where Kevin Siembieda said (paraphrasing) 'duh, they're nazis, but less subtle' ." Also some of my terminology comes from TVTropes.org, but I'm pretty sure everybody already KNEW that and are just playing stupid semantic games.

And with that I'm adding pepsi to the list of people I can't talk to. Time to move on.

Greepnak wrote:I think whether a person owns Heroes of Humanity or not is a big factor on whether the CS are just a trolley problem (no non-harmful choices, including inaction. Somebody's gotta die and you are the one who chooses who) society or an edgier evil interpretation of COBRA.

Not really. HoH is more of the same.

Lots and lots of fluff about random, small samples of soldiers being forced to see the truth about the Coalition's overwhelming awfulness, the CS getting far WORSE within its own borders (well, within the territory it actually controls, it's "borders" are the entire friggin' megaverse depending on who's talking) and more "Coalition is the master race, rah rah rah. Coalition is the Ace, sis-boom-bah." Lots and lots of "we are the heroes, we are the greatest" which is vague as to whether or not it's CS propaganda or supposed to be the objective truth.

Not that I think anyone cares but spoiler-tag:
Spoiler:
The plot generally goes that the Coalition are the Heroes Of Humanity and Earth because...they soak casualties.
They don't even DO it for the first 6 months, if Northern Gun hadn't stepped up to the plate Chi-town would probably be a hell pit before the book even gets anywhere, but eventually the deadboys and Operation Hellbender are rolling and...they're still being rescued.

I mean it's more than that. But it's also something that's happened before. In Hellbender, like in smaller adventures and campaigns, the Coalition has a huge army and heavy firepower but without the help and expertise of magic users, D-bees, "heretical" technology, and/or "forbidden" lore to make that firepower KILL the enemy instead of just make a big mess but fail to defeat the enemy because they didn't know how.

Yes, my 40k is showing. But I think everyone understands the metaphors I'm using.

The book goes on and on about how the brave coalition soldiers save the world, but that they are also saved (and made able to save the world) through the help of the sorts of people that they spent the last metaplot arc brutally murdering. There are numerous examples of "Sam the Pilot and Jim the Juicer are forced to team up with Dory the D-Bee and learn a valuable lesson about hate and heroism." They are juxtaposed with "this is only happening in some cases" and "it's not official policy, just usually overlooked by the brass" and "the official-unofficial rule is to wait until the demons or deviants* WIN before opening fire on what's left." Also juxtaposed with, "and inside the burbs SLAUGHTER REIGNS! D-bees are massacred and the concentration camps are kicked into overdrive! whee!"

Yes, there is the potential for the Coalition to start reforming. There is the possibility for the next plot arc to be soldiers coming home from the war with new ideas, new understandings, and a sense that maybe the Coalition isn't so great after all. There is the possibility that all of the back-room dealings with the freakin' SPLUGORTH (yeah, Prosek KNOWINGLY takes assistance from Atlantis) will shift things. There is the possibility that the Lemurians will force a paradigm shift by stepping out of the shadows (not like they were in the shadows much).

But these possibilities existed before and were squandered. There have been soldiers coming back to the CS with knowledge of the outside, with stories of being spared or saved by deviants. The Coalition has been burned by its ideological purity and almost destroyed by something their much-vaunted military might would have either failed to stop or cost millions of lives to stop. They never learned from those exercises, so I'm not holding my breath that they will NOW.

I mean it's possible, the coalition's wells are running dry for the first time ever (seriously, they plow through trillions of credits worth of resources in their villain plots and the wars they fumble into, their economy is powered by a bulls*#$tium reactor). There are MORE examples than ever (and on a wider scale) of them accepting the help of Deviants. So we'll see.

But the test comes after the Minion War ends. Do all those "ideas" disappear? Do the Deadboys with dangerous thoughts and heretical knowledge start making waves in the Coalition or do they get written right out of the plot and forgotten?

*going to use "deviant" as a catch-all for d-bees, practitioners of magic, and anyone else on the Coalition's kill list.

One of the things I keep running into in various flavors of RPG is Agatha's Law. "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." The Coalition hates and fears alien technology, unknown magic, and forbidden brands of knowledge.

Now, if someone says "think of a group that considers technology dangerous and forbidden" and you think of backwards hicks and religious zealots like the Amish, right? That same concept applies to magic and alien tech: people who hate and fear it are needlessly and irrationally avoiding something that could make them more powerful, and leaving themselves helplessly ignorant of it when someone ELSE uses that power against them.

The upcoming book: The Disavowed dips its toe in the concept, I suspect.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

A quick point on population of North America: WB30 does not unequivocally state that it is 30-40 million. It says that there may be as many as 30-40 million. While the normal reading of the phrase would be to assume that this is mean to serve as a maximum, it is not inherently so (they could have written "at most" if that was the desire). So it may be as many as 30-40 million. It may also be as many as 80 million, or 20 million, or 69,342,937.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

dreicunan wrote:A quick point on population of North America: WB30 does not unequivocally state that it is 30-40 million. It says that there may be as many as 30-40 million. While the normal reading of the phrase would be to assume that this is mean to serve as a maximum, it is not inherently so (they could have written "at most" if that was the desire). So it may be as many as 30-40 million. It may also be as many as 80 million, or 20 million, or 69,342,937.

That is NOT how the english language works. "May be as many as" implies a finite upper limit, as listed. It is directly synonymous with "up to".
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

boring7 wrote: And then we get more posts of insults, psychological projection, and other logical fallacies.

Actually that's what you've been accused of and proven to indulge in. Is this a "I know you are but what am I?" sort of response?

boring7 wrote:
Also a HELL of a lot of sea-lioning.

Not at all. You've put forth fiction and claimed it's fact. Therefore I've asked that you cite the source of the 'Facts' that you're swinging around like clubs. If they are indeed fact, then you should have little trouble finding them.

boring7 wrote:
For posterity, my sources are "RUE, SoT7,

What page? Telling people to go read 100s of pages to prove your false claims is not providing source. Cite the page numbers in the book.

boring7 wrote:
and some random interview where Kevin Siembieda said (paraphrasing) 'duh, they're nazis, but less subtle' ."

Provide said interview. It's something YOU are claiming was said, to shut others up when they claim other wise. You can't just go "Well that's what I heard!" while claiming other people are wrong.

boring7 wrote:

Also some of my terminology comes from TVTropes.org, but I'm pretty sure everybody already KNEW that and are just playing stupid semantic games.

It's not a matter of not knowing tropes, Boring. It's a matter of your tropes and stuff being created whole cloth to support your claims and the inability to back up your claims when asked.

boring7 wrote:

And with that I'm adding pepsi to the list of people I can't talk to. Time to move on.

You mean "The list of people that will call me on stuff if I make it up" Yes. Untill you can support your claims, they're not proven.

boring7 wrote:

Greepnak wrote:I think whether a person owns Heroes of Humanity or not is a big factor on whether the CS are just a trolley problem (no non-harmful choices, including inaction. Somebody's gotta die and you are the one who chooses who) society or an edgier evil interpretation of COBRA.

Not really. HoH is more of the same.

Lots and lots of fluff about random, small samples of soldiers being forced to see the truth about the Coalition's overwhelming awfulness,
boring7 wrote:

It's not a small sampling of soldiers as it's an army wide occurance and concerns the high command due to it.

boring7 wrote:
the CS getting far WORSE within its own borders (well, within the territory it actually controls, it's "borders" are the entire friggin' megaverse depending on who's talking)

Where is it claimed that the CS Claims the entire megaverse?

boring7 wrote:
and more "Coalition is the master race, rah rah rah. Coalition is the Ace, sis-boom-bah."

The CS very much do have a -Human surpremacy- out look. But it's not about race. We're told that there is no racism in the CS. Black or white, asian or hispanic. they don't care. They care what species you belong to.

boring7 wrote:
Lots and lots of "we are the heroes, we are the greatest" which is vague as to whether or not it's CS propaganda or supposed to be the objective truth.

They're both. The book is quite clear on those aspects.

boring7 wrote:

Not that I think anyone cares but spoiler-tag:
Spoiler:
The plot generally goes that the Coalition are the Heroes Of Humanity and Earth because...they soak casualties.
They don't even DO it for the first 6 months, if Northern Gun hadn't stepped up to the plate Chi-town would probably be a hell pit before the book even gets anywhere, but eventually the deadboys and Operation Hellbender are rolling and...they're still being rescued.

You must have a different version of the book than I do.

boring7 wrote:

I mean it's more than that. But it's also something that's happened before. In Hellbender, like in smaller adventures and campaigns, the Coalition has a huge army and heavy firepower but without the help and expertise of magic users, D-bees, "heretical" technology, and/or "forbidden" lore to make that firepower KILL the enemy instead of just make a big mess but fail to defeat the enemy because they didn't know how.

Not true. the CS wade on in there and kill um just fine.

boring7 wrote:

Yes, my 40k is showing. But I think everyone understands the metaphors I'm using.

The book goes on and on about how the brave coalition soldiers save the world, but that they are also saved (and made able to save the world) through the help of the sorts of people that they spent the last metaplot arc brutally murdering.

Not really. Those other powers aren't bailing the CS out of anything in and of themselves. What you see is the CS choosing not to go after those other elements, when they're busy fighting off demons and what have you. Thought process being "If those mages want to fight the demons, A) They'll kill some of the demons, so we have fewer to fight and B) The mages that die, will take the place of troops to die killing the same demons, and C) If there's less mages around after the end of the fight, it's a win win" Sort of situation.

boring7 wrote:

There are numerous examples of "Sam the Pilot and Jim the Juicer are forced to team up with Dory the D-Bee and learn a valuable lesson about hate and heroism." They are juxtaposed with "this is only happening in some cases" and "it's not official policy, just usually overlooked by the brass" and "the official-unofficial rule is to wait until the demons or deviants* WIN before opening fire on what's left."

Yes? That's in the book...... What's your point?

boring7 wrote: Also juxtaposed with, "and inside the burbs SLAUGHTER REIGNS! D-bees are massacred and the concentration camps are kicked into overdrive! whee!"

Concentration camps? I'ver not Read HoH over and over but I don't remember Concentration camps. Can you point me to that page?

boring7 wrote:

Yes, there is the potential for the Coalition to start reforming. There is the possibility for the next plot arc to be soldiers coming home from the war with new ideas, new understandings, and a sense that maybe the Coalition isn't so great after all. There is the possibility that all of the back-room dealings with the freakin' SPLUGORTH (yeah, Prosek KNOWINGLY takes assistance from Atlantis) will shift things. There is the possibility that the Lemurians will force a paradigm shift by stepping out of the shadows (not like they were in the shadows much).

But these possibilities existed before and were squandered. There have been soldiers coming back to the CS with knowledge of the outside, with stories of being spared or saved by deviants. The Coalition has been burned by its ideological purity

They have? When have they been burned by it's ideological purity?

boring7 wrote: and almost destroyed by something their much-vaunted military might would have either failed to stop or cost millions of lives to stop.

When was the CS Almost destroyed by anything? Not since the 'rise' of the CS and the attack from the Fed decades and decades previous have the CS Lost a long term enguagement.

boring7 wrote: They never learned from those exercises, so I'm not holding my breath that they will NOW.

Perhaps you could point out at what point the CS have been burned by their idology or have almost been destroyed?

boring7 wrote:

I mean it's possible, the coalition's wells are running dry for the first time ever (seriously, they plow through trillions of credits worth of resources in their villain plots and the wars they fumble into, their economy is powered by a bulls*#$tium reactor).

And tens of millions of people, along with golden age science and tech. For example, the genetically engineered cows that produce better tasting, faster growing meat. And MD materials that don't 'wear down' or 'wear out' shy of MD damage, which cuts way back on production and replacement costs, etc. If you can produce a door that will be 100% from the day you install it to the day your great great great great great grandson dies, (Baring a dragon biting it, or a plasma rifle shooting it) Noone has to buy that door for generations. Now multiply that across the entire society.

boring7 wrote:
There are MORE examples than ever (and on a wider scale) of them accepting the help of Deviants. So we'll see.

But the test comes after the Minion War ends. Do all those "ideas" disappear? Do the Deadboys with dangerous thoughts and heretical knowledge start making waves in the Coalition or do they get written right out of the plot and forgotten?

You may be mistaking the book being trying to establish that sort of foot hold. It more shows that 'as they are now' they're heroes to the humans in NA. More than "Look how we're going to change for the better"

boring7 wrote:

*going to use "deviant" as a catch-all for d-bees, practitioners of magic, and anyone else on the Coalition's kill list.

One of the things I keep running into in various flavors of RPG is Agatha's Law. "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." The Coalition hates and fears alien technology, unknown magic, and forbidden brands of knowledge.

Now, if someone says "think of a group that considers technology dangerous and forbidden" and you think of backwards hicks and religious zealots like the Amish, right? That same concept applies to magic and alien tech: people who hate and fear it are needlessly and irrationally avoiding something that could make them more powerful, and leaving themselves helplessly ignorant of it when someone ELSE uses that power against them.

The CS actually knows quite a bit about Magic and what have you. They just don't, for the majority, practice it themselves. It's more like how we see Chemical and biological warfare. Sure ther US could make mustard gas. It's not that hard. We understand how it's made. We understand how it's deployed. We just see it as unsavory and evil and refuse to use it ourselves.

That's howthe CS see magic. Like someone that would attack a city with anthrax. Not "A gun that shoots better than the gun we have"

boring7 wrote:

The upcoming book: The Disavowed dips its toe in the concept, I suspect.

oh that ones going to give you lots of ammo. Some pretty dark stuff indeed in there. But then, they're 'Disavowed black ops' that aren't scantioned by the nation entire, or that nation's laws. But yeah. PLENTY of dark stuff. I'm not really looking forward to the threads after that one comes out. Because people areg oing to go "See the CS Does X Y AND Z!! OHH THE HORROR" and ignore the part where it's a secret project by a secret cabal inside the CS and not actually sanctioned by the CS itself.

Those are going to be a hassle.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...