Savage Rifts Player's Guide is Out!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Savage Rifts Player's Guide is Out!

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

For anyone who might have missed the announcement or not checked their email yet, the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide for Savage Rifts is now officially out to Kickstarter backers! The Pinnacle website is under some serious strain today, so you might have to wait a while to grab your pdf, but I finally managed to get mine a couple of hours ago. I haven't gotten to look over it too much since I'm at work, but what I've seen so far looks pretty good. I figured I'd start up a new thread to talk about the official release (rather than the Kickstarter itself), so feel free to let people know what you think here. =)
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
kaid
Knight

Re: Savage Rifts Player's Guide is Out!

Unread post by kaid »

It is out-ish. Their website is being super kicked in the mommy daddy parts this morning but give it some time after the initial hordes die down a bit. Still nice to see that part is already done with the others to come very very good sign this is going to be on time.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Got my copy finally. First impressions: It looks good! I'll have more of substance to say once I'm home from work and get a chance to really dig in.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The font they selected for "Error establishing a database connection" was outstanding. A clean layout, no frills, very professional.

Everybody, please stop downloading it so I can get my new book!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Hehe keep an eye out for your email from them for drive thru RPG download of it. I got mine that way a few minutes ago. I don't have time to read through it fully now but just scanning through it looks really good. The TW item creation rules look a lot more sane and less open to some wacky abuse and a bit easier with less needing to constantly check with GM to make them work.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I got my PDF copy. Looks good. Going to be studying up on the Savage Worlds Deluxe book over the next few days before really diving into the Savage Rifts book. Would be nice to have a section on the forums here for Savage Rifts.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Havent gotten to actually play it yet, but real big differences it feels like in non combat.
Teleportation is no longer miles
Mind melters are KOS to the cs
No diminsional teleport
No open rift spells/abilities
Alot of classes are "quirky" to outsiders
Feels smaller I suppose.
Zamion138
Hero

Also not a huge fan of alot of the art, that is just a visual diffrence but seems sleeker and less war torn and broken down
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Mind melters always were KOS to the CS.

Also the way savage worlds does their books I would hold off on judging the size and feel until we get all three parts. The GM guide I believe has a lot of the world type info and likely other stuff so the dimensional port type stuff may show up elsewhere.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Oh one thing to note with ranges the way savage worlds does ranges is mostly so it makes sense with table top usage. So a lot of the ranges on really long range weapons/abilities is shorter than what you would see in standards rifts.
Zamion138
Hero

kaid wrote:Mind melters always were KOS to the CS.

Also the way savage worlds does their books I would hold off on judging the size and feel until we get all three parts. The GM guide I believe has a lot of the world type info and likely other stuff so the dimensional port type stuff may show up elsewhere.

Well on the kick starter I asked and they (jodi) said no diminsional telport at this time is made.
I will hold whole judgment till I have all 3 books and explorers all the way read, but just seems less campaign feel and more one shot/combat only based so far. Again havent played it, hopefully you can gear it to be more long game based as thats how we (my table) plays.

I am missing the shifter still hahahaha but will see when the villian shows up how easy to convert to pc status it is
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Zamion138 wrote:I will hold whole judgment till I have all 3 books and explorers all the way read, but just seems less campaign feel and more one shot/combat only based so far.

That is the Savage Worlds system you just described.

Campaign? No. Never works. One shots? Small series of 2-3 sessions? Perfectly fine. Good for convention play too.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Tagged for future reference.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

HWalsh wrote:That is the Savage Worlds system you just described.

Campaign? No. Never works. One shots? Small series of 2-3 sessions? Perfectly fine. Good for convention play too.

That would be a very unusual statement for my players to hear, given that we just came off a year-long Savage Worlds campaign, which was after a six-month-long Savage Worlds campaign, which was preceded by a two-year-long Savage Worlds campaign. =p

Seriously, I don't know where this idea that SW isn't good for campaign play comes from. I've been running SW on and off for much of the last decade, and I've run and played in over a dozen campaigns that lasted from anywhere from two months to three years. I've run games that went to almost 200 XP, and played in a game that got pretty far into Legendary Rank before it ended.
Zamion138
Hero

Well I do like a good long so here is hoping you are more right than HWalsh.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I've enjoyed what I've seen in it; probably going to skate on the Castle Refuge and Tomorrow Legion, but, hey.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

blackwingedheaven wrote:

That would be a very unusual statement for my players to hear, given that we just came off a year-long Savage Worlds campaign, which was after a six-month-long Savage Worlds campaign, which was preceded by a two-year-long Savage Worlds campaign. =p

Seriously, I don't know where this idea that SW isn't good for campaign play comes from. I've been running SW on and off for much of the last decade, and I've run and played in over a dozen campaigns that lasted from anywhere from two months to three years. I've run games that went to almost 200 XP, and played in a game that got pretty far into Legendary Rank before it ended.

I don't see why anyone would think it isn't good for a campaign. Sounds like more of a character development issue than a system issue.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

blackwingedheaven wrote:

This is interesting. As I've been learning the rules (never played it, just bought the core rules a couple of weeks ago to prepare for Savage Rifts), I could definitely feel the tabletop wargame roots of SW.

One major thing that jumped out at me, and is confirmed now that I've looked at Savage Rifts, is the durations of powers. A Ley Line Walker only starts with 15 PPE, which is good for about a minute and a half of invisibility (or most other spells that have a duration beyond instant). That's more than enough for most combat situations, but for anything else, it's not really going to cut it.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

PigLickJF wrote:One major thing that jumped out at me, and is confirmed now that I've looked at Savage Rifts, is the durations of powers. A Ley Line Walker only starts with 15 PPE, which is good for about a minute and a half of invisibility (or most other spells that have a duration beyond instant). That's more than enough for most combat situations, but for anything else, it's not really going to cut it.

Savage Worlds definitely has a different dynamic than D&D-style games where a wizard's best choices are almost always going to be buff magic out of combat. SW is much more centered around making tactical choices in combat time, which I personally prefer to the "all buff magic, all the time" dynamic of some games. If you want more long-lasting buff magic, take a look at the ritual magic rules from the Horror Companion or the "No Power Points" option from the corebook.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

blackwingedheaven wrote:
PigLickJF wrote:One major thing that jumped out at me, and is confirmed now that I've looked at Savage Rifts, is the durations of powers. A Ley Line Walker only starts with 15 PPE, which is good for about a minute and a half of invisibility (or most other spells that have a duration beyond instant). That's more than enough for most combat situations, but for anything else, it's not really going to cut it.

Savage Worlds definitely has a different dynamic than D&D-style games where a wizard's best choices are almost always going to be buff magic out of combat. SW is much more centered around making tactical choices in combat time, which I personally prefer to the "all buff magic, all the time" dynamic of some games. If you want more long-lasting buff magic, take a look at the ritual magic rules from the Horror Companion or the "No Power Points" option from the corebook.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely have another look at the No Power Points option.

It's not really the combat situations that concern me, though - in fact, that's part of the problem, and why I said I can feel the wargame roots of the system. It seems the powers are balanced entirely around combat situations, but it's more the creative non-combat/utility uses of powers that concerns me. Using Invisibility to sneak into an enemy compound, for example, is basically impossible when you've only got a minute and half to do it in.

I don't have enough experience with the system to try and start making houserules or anything, but I can definitely see this as a problem area, or maybe it works out better in play than I think it does.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

PigLickJF wrote:It's not really the combat situations that concern me, though - in fact, that's part of the problem, and why I said I can feel the wargame roots of the system. It seems the powers are balanced entirely around combat situations, but it's more the creative non-combat/utility uses of powers that concerns me. Using Invisibility to sneak into an enemy compound, for example, is basically impossible when you've only got a minute and half to do it in.

I don't have enough experience with the system to try and start making houserules or anything, but I can definitely see this as a problem area, or maybe it works out better in play than I think it does.

I have a friend who uses the houserule that non-combat uses of powers have durations in minutes instead of rounds, but the power immediately drops if you enter combat. It basically represents your ability to "hold" a power longer if you have more concentration, but having your life imminently threatened makes it impossible to maintain that concentration.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Mark Hall wrote:I've enjoyed what I've seen in it; probably going to skate on the Castle Refuge and Tomorrow Legion, but, hey.

I think that stuff is mostly there as a nod to the savage world veterans as the tomorrow legion type stuff appears to show up in a lot of their books.

Honestly the concept of something like that coming together makes sense just the location they chose is really head scratching. That is just asking to get curb stomped by the CS since you are in their back yard.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

blackwingedheaven wrote:I have a friend who uses the houserule that non-combat uses of powers have durations in minutes instead of rounds, but the power immediately drops if you enter combat. It basically represents your ability to "hold" a power longer if you have more concentration, but having your life imminently threatened makes it impossible to maintain that concentration.

Yah, that was one of the ideas I had as well, glad to hear someone else is using it - I assume it's working out well?
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

PigLickJF wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:I have a friend who uses the houserule that non-combat uses of powers have durations in minutes instead of rounds, but the power immediately drops if you enter combat. It basically represents your ability to "hold" a power longer if you have more concentration, but having your life imminently threatened makes it impossible to maintain that concentration.

Yah, that was one of the ideas I had as well, glad to hear someone else is using it - I assume it's working out well?

I don't play in his game, so I can't say firsthand, but it certainly doesn't seem to be giving him any balance problems. One of the best things about Savage Worlds, IMO, is that the table balance is way harder to mess up than in most games. You have to go pretty far out of your way to mess with the system enough to break it--as I think Savage Rifts is currently proving!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kaid wrote:Mind melters always were KOS to the CS.

That's a matter of interpretation. Per Psyscape, citizens of that class who respect the law and human life are called Dominators, and are OK. The term "Mind Melter" seems to imply one that does not cooperate with authorities. They have a presence in Psi-Battalion.

As for non-citizens who respect the law but hold the Mind-Melter O.C.C., that seems to be a category for interpretation.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Umm am i missing something or are all the body armors not MDC? Their have "armor+##" but unlike glitterboys and robot vehicles do not mention MDC. This is even for none glitterboy power armors. Is this addressed some place?
Zamion138
Hero

All the armor is sdc, remember mdc weapons still only do regular dmg against sdc.
So your hit by robot heavy laser of 2d6 mdc doom, it hits and you take 2d6 -armor and toughness
But all the power armor im seeing at least are mdc . So your wilks pistol can shoot the samas all night long.
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

Riftmaker wrote:Umm am i missing something or are all the body armors not MDC? Their have "armor+##" but unlike glitterboys and robot vehicles do not mention MDC. This is even for none glitterboy power armors. Is this addressed some place?

It's part of the design philosophy of Savage Rifts. The designers mentioned during the writing process that the question "Is it like a tank?" came up a fair bit. Basically, not every personal weapon or armor are MD now; only things that are "tank-like" or could be reasonably thought of as threats to a tank-like thing are MD. It's an intentional choice by the writers, and one I very much approve of.
Zamion138
Hero

The plasma weapons change is kinda cool to..... deffintly want to be wearing your helmet now if you get hit.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

OK I get that thank you.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Zamion138 wrote:The plasma weapons change is kinda cool to..... deffintly want to be wearing your helmet now if you get hit.

Yea catching fire will im sure not help you with the ladies. :x
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Downloaded it the other day, reading it here and there in my free time along with the Savage Worlds core book to try and get an understanding of all the mechanics. So far I'm liking their take on things, a lot more fast and loose with mechanics, don't need a million specific skills to do neat things, which I like a lot. Artwork is nice, and so far the layout and placement of the rules is logical and easy to follow.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Riftmaker
Adventurer

CAn a TW make MD stuff without the master of magic edge?
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Riftmaker wrote:CAn a TW make MD stuff without the master of magic edge?

I don't think so, but they should be able to modify/convert gear that's already MDC.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

I have found one mechanic that I want to nit pick on Robot Armor Combat. When making a H2H attack with a Robot Vehicle the pilot uses the lower of his Piloting or Fighting skill to attack, and can't use their edges in Robot Combat either. In PB Rifts, the combat training in Power Armor and Robot Vehicles always added to ones abilities never detracted. Here in SW Rifts you roll the lower skill and can't do all the maneuvers you could when out of the bot, which I feel violates that original spirit, but can understand their logic, it just doesn't jive with the original material.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador

J_cobbers wrote:I have found one mechanic that I want to nit pick on Robot Armor Combat. When making a H2H attack with a Robot Vehicle the pilot uses the lower of his Piloting or Fighting skill to attack, and can't use their edges in Robot Combat either. In PB Rifts, the combat training in Power Armor and Robot Vehicles always added to ones abilities never detracted. Here in SW Rifts you roll the lower skill and can't do all the maneuvers you could when out of the bot, which I feel violates that original spirit, but can understand their logic, it just doesn't jive with the original material.

New game, new spirit, new direction. Just accept it as its own thing inspired by the source material instead of trying to be some sort of direct conversion.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

blackwingedheaven wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:Umm am i missing something or are all the body armors not MDC? Their have "armor+##" but unlike glitterboys and robot vehicles do not mention MDC. This is even for none glitterboy power armors. Is this addressed some place?

It's part of the design philosophy of Savage Rifts. The designers mentioned during the writing process that the question "Is it like a tank?" came up a fair bit. Basically, not every personal weapon or armor are MD now; only things that are "tank-like" or could be reasonably thought of as threats to a tank-like thing are MD. It's an intentional choice by the writers, and one I very much approve of.

In fact it seems like in general personal armor/weapons generally are not MDC in the savage worlds model. It looks like MDC is mostly things like explosives or obvious anti tank weaponry like heavy particle beams/plasma cannons and the like. Also a lot of magical weapons are MDC. Given that in general MDC damage is a lot more survivable with SDC armor in savage worlds than in rifts where it is utterly not survivable I am curious how this works out in play.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

kaid wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:

In fact it seems like in general personal armor/weapons generally are not MDC in the savage worlds model. It looks like MDC is mostly things like explosives or obvious anti tank weaponry like heavy particle beams/plasma cannons and the like. Also a lot of magical weapons are MDC. Given that in general MDC damage is a lot more survivable with SDC armor in savage worlds than in rifts where it is utterly not survivable I am curious how this works out in play.

It works out surprisingly well.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Question if non MDC armor gives a bonus to toughness and an armor bonus Do either get ignored if a MD weapon is used on them?
PigLickJF
Adventurer

No, it works exactly the same. The only thing MDC weapons do is allow you affect MDC armor. Otherwise MDC and SDC weapons are exactly the same.

Return to “Rifts®”