Starting a PFRPG Campaign- Your thoughts

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glorath
Megaversal® Ambassador

Starting a PFRPG Campaign- Your thoughts

Unread post by Glorath »

Greetings all!

I am trying to share with my friends and students about the PFRPG. I have some questions that I would love to have feedback on. The first question is:

If you were beginning a new campaign, where in the Known World would you begin? What region, town, or city? Why would you start there? Have you had success starting a campaign in that location in the past?

I appreciate your ideas, and thank you in advance for sharing them!
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Starting a PFRPG Campaign- Your thoughts

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Lots of choices, but I would probably base it on the stories I want to tell, and what characters I want to allow. I think you can run a great campaign, for example, in Lemuria, but that's a pretty specific story to want to tell. If I set a campaign in the Eastern Territories, I'm basically saying "I don't want Wolfen characters" and put some limitations on things like Trolls, Ogres, and other uncivilized races.

If I wanted a really open game, I'd be most inclined to start things near the Western Colonies in Ophid's Grasslands. You have a lot going on there... relative proximity of Land of the Damned, the tension between the Western Empire and the Wolfen Empire as both push into the region, some natives caught in between, the promise of old magics, the Zaranceti in the nearby seas. Most common races are relatively OK there, and you're far enough from any central government to let your characters get their own feet under them. Since most medieval fantasy RPGs tend to play like Westerns in medieval drag, it's a good setting for that.

My suggestion for ANY Palladium game, however, is determine what you will allow BEFORE you sit down with the players. If not, it's too easy to wind up with a table full of Jeridu Cuisinarts, with one guy who was strong-armed into playing something with healing powers.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I like the disputed lands between the wolfen and eastern territories. Lots of options for characters, and tons of story arcs with the brewing war.
Western Empire can be great if you're into political intrigue.
For something different, Balgor Wastelands and Mount Nimro give a lot of exotic character options, and can turn into an interesting monster races vs the traditional good guys (human, elf, dwarf).
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I thought all PRFPG campaigns started in Timiro. It has all the basic, intro level adventures in the Old Ones book, and it's completely mapped out for a new GM. However, if you don't set it there, I think the Eastern Territories is a good idea as it's so large and diverse. You can start out in one of the outposts doing some low level stuff and move around relatively easily. The same is true for the Western Territories. I think the Shadow Colonies is an interesting idea with the brewing revolt. Or, if you want to make your own world, Land of the South Winds is open for interpretation.

-Vek
"Timiro, though, it's the opening setting."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If they're all new to the game and the setting, make them all children of the same village that is hidden in the mountains. Make it a place that has basically zero contact with the outside world, and they're the kids who want to go see what's beyond. That way they can learn about the setting as they adventure.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I thought all PRFPG campaigns started in Timiro. It has all the basic, intro level adventures in the Old Ones book, and it's completely mapped out for a new GM. "

+1
cough*tombsofgersidi*cough
and thanks to hotrod it has an all new map.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Eastern Territories for me as well. Some good stories to tell there.

If I'm feeling dark, the Empire of Sin.
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I will say, for all that it's a developed adventure site, I don't think Gersidi is the best place for beginning adventurers... that place is a TPK waiting to happen for a low-level party.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Mark Hall wrote:I will say, for all that it's a developed adventure site, I don't think Gersidi is the best place for beginning adventurers... that place is a TPK waiting to happen for a low-level party.

lol, and a high level party.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Glorath wrote:Greetings all!

I am trying to share with my friends and students about the PFRPG. I have some questions that I would love to have feedback on. The first question is:

If you were beginning a new campaign, where in the Known World would you begin? What region, town, or city? Why would you start there? Have you had success starting a campaign in that location in the past?

I appreciate your ideas, and thank you in advance for sharing them!

This question TOTALLY depends on what happens in the campaign, what you want to do with ur campaign idea and what races (and possible classes) the players want.

If your campaign is to hunt a legendary creature rumoured to be in the Ophids grasslands you might not want to start them on the other side of the world (depends if you're prepared to run a longer campaign or skip parts etc...). If they all wanna play Tezcats do you start them in Timiro?
All starting locations are possible ofc, but my advice is to try and make all aspects of the adventure personal somehow, wherever you are able.
I love coming up with adventure ideas so if you do have an outline, let us know and Im sure everyone here will give some fresh ideas/suggestions!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Mark Hall wrote:I will say, for all that it's a developed adventure site, I don't think Gersidi is the best place for beginning adventurers... that place is a TPK waiting to happen for a low-level party.

Depends on the party, player experience levels. And also, under 2E, what kind of changes were made.. because under 1E, it really wasn't that bad....

As for where to start- it depends entirely on the planned outline of the campaign. I've started games all over the palladium world- from the Western Empire, to the Wolfen Empire, the Floenry Islands, the Yin-sloth Jungles, ET, Byzantium, Library of Bletherad, Old Kingdom, and everywhere in between.. I even started one (a HIGH LEVEL!!) in the LoD, before it was detailed...

Everywhere has its pros and cons.. depends on the campaign (and players) you're looking at.

Personally, I prefer Western Empire. It's like ancient Rome.. has a bit of everything, so no matter what, there's a way to work it into the story.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

Agree with Mark Hall above.

I'll add talk to the players and see what kind of game they'd like to play? If they are rookies, the GM can shape them.

Second, what do you, as the GM, like to play and write? For example, I wanted to run a sea adventure. That means Bizantium or Floenry Islands - in my mind vikings or pirates? I chose piratey vikings and the north. Plus there is a shiny book our about the north by Glen Evans. So it's sea serpents, political intrigue and uninhabited frozen islands filled with ruins. Oh yeah, and the Sea of Despair.

Then pick a book and breathe life into the area with description. A sentence or two is all you need not a long exposition. "The overcast skies threaten rain and the spray from the crashing sea seems to freeze before falling back into the sludgy surf. Even the seabirds shiver." Write out some atmosphere lines to insert to make the world real.

Figure a good hook. If the players are rookies have them meet in an inn. Classic start.

Add a few good NPCs and have fun.

If it's a campaign, think about the villain and create some minions. In the beginning you only need the basic idea of the type of villain so the early-met minions make sense.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”