ISP Recovery for Minor Psychics

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

UbiquitousRat
D-Bee

ISP Recovery for Minor Psychics

Unread post by UbiquitousRat »

Hello!

Sorry to be a nube and ask such a seemingly dumb question, but how does ISP Recovery work for Minor Psychics? I can't for the life of me find mention in Rifts Ultimate.

Specifically, I have a Crazy character with his three Psionic abilities. He has a base ISP. Am I correct to assume he doesn't replenish ISP (apart from the +1d6 each level) and needs to preserve it for big needy moments?

Gratitude for your help!
:-D
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: ISP Recovery for Minor Psychics

Unread post by Bill »

See RUE p.278. Psychics, unless stated otherwise, recover I.S.P. at a rate of 1 per hour of sleep or 4 per hour of meditation.
UbiquitousRat
D-Bee

Unread post by UbiquitousRat »

Many thanks!
:)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As Bill said if the OCC doesn't define it use the default recovery rates in the Psychic Section. My copy of RUE puts it at 2 per hour of sleep and 6 per hour of meditation (which a Crazy can select as a power, though personally I think any Psychic should be able to do so).

Some Psychics get better recovery like the Burster, Dog Boy, and Psi-Stalker, though they are rare.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The power Meditation appears in the Psionics section, p. 165, which is distinct from the base recovery rate that all psychics begin with. It's a bit of a convolution in the rules in that any psychic can meditate, but only those with Meditation gain the improved recovery rate. Improved Meditation or some other more distinctive label would have been more clear. Fun bit of trivia; in the first printing of RUE, Meditation's description didn't include the 2 ISP for sleeping.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

That would actually make more sense. I could get why selecting meditation as a power would increase how much ISP you got from meditating, but not why that would increase the amount you got from sleeping. I think 'Improved Sleeping' should be a separate power.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

It is what it is. Think of it as a general proficiency with centering yourself and clearing your mind, if that helps.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I guess if you meditate before you sleep it could prep you to work better the whole night.

I think for that to happen the person should have to spend a few moments before sleeping to do it though, and spend it again if they are woken in the night.

Though with meditation = 2 hours sleep, wondering if there is a tactical reason to do it anymore.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Tor wrote:I think for that to happen the person should have to spend a few moments before sleeping to do it though, and spend it again if they are woken in the night.

I think that would be an unnecessary level of detail. It's certainly within the GM's authority to require it though.

Return to “Rifts®”