CS Propaganda

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

CS Propaganda

Unread post by Aaryq »

Howdy, folks.
I'm looking to try to throw more background ambiance to my campaign by inserting propaganda into the campaign, both subtle and not-so-subtle. Posters, broadcast transcripts (actual broadcasts as well), slogans, whatever you want to contribute
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: CS Propaganda

Unread post by Glistam »

Pictures and broadcasts. Remember the average CS citizen is not only illiterate, but encouraged to stay that way. So any such propaganda has to (somehow) pander to that.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Replace the word "Federation" in this song with "Coalition" and you have the CS's new number 1 hit!
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The cartoon adventures of Commander Prosek and the Deadboys is a huge hit with the kiddies. Each episode teaches the corrupting nature of magic, the evils of d-bees, and the natural goodness of humanity. Commander Prosek action figures have been the most popular holiday gift inside Coalition cities for a decade. The show remains popular even outside of the cities, covertly promoting tensions between humans and their alien neighbors.

...Humanity's Savior! Commander Prosek is here!...
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

I'm kind of looking for existing propaganda to re-purpose. Especially stuff like WWII Propaganda (all parties), Sovietski, Best Korea, and things like that.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Bill wrote:Google

Good search. How would you make that available for people who don't know how to read?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Aaryq wrote:
Bill wrote:Google

Good search. How would you make that available for people who don't know how to read?

Most of the results haven't got any text associated with them anyway. Plus you're dealing with super-science, so run them on video screens with narration. For posters and whatnot, your propaganda officers, officially sanctioned education agents, and other loyal members of the Coalition can explain the meaning of to crowds; who can later return to draw inappropriate and treasonous things on them after the authority figures have returned to their safe and comfortable homes behind the city walls.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Use Weird Al Yankovich's 'Mandatory Fun' CD cover as the CS Ministry of Entertainment's latest 'Get Happy, Humanity!" campaign. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Propoganda recruitment films from the Starship Troopers franchise can provide some good inspiration for the CS.

Also for understanding a high-tech empire and the worship given to its Emperor, I like Legend of Galactic Heroes.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Starship Troopers is indeed a great source for CS-like propaganda. I like The Imperium of Man from WH40k as well.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

All Magic users want to sell,All Humankind to ther Demonic masters,Fight them! join the CS,s army.
D-Bees want our lands and our lives,Fight them! join the CS,s army.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Become a Loot Pinata! Fight the Unholy of Wormwood! Join the CS Army!

(in before Flatline :P)
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Alrik Vas wrote:Starship Troopers is indeed a great source for CS-like propaganda. I like The Imperium of Man from WH40k as well.

the 40K imperium works best if you can remove the more religious elements. the CS doesn't worship "god emperor prosek" or have "machine spirits" in all its units after all. but the stuff focusing more on killing the filthy Xeno's, mutants and traitors would work well. (well, "heretics" instead of traitors, but that's what i mean about removing the religious element..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

I did a search for the StarWars recruitment posters, some of those seem to fir pretty well, especially with some re-tooling by someone much more talented than myself. I would have provided a link, but I don't know how to do that without posting a link that is is loinger than the rest of this post.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

You could have the CS propaganda corps showing a video of evil magic using D-bees leading a bunch of human children in chains to an alter with a demon standing there and show a picture an overly cute kid crying as he or she is about to be sacrificed by an evil magic using human or D-bee who is about to plunge an evil looking dagger that is glowing with evil magic then as the dagger is plunging toward the heart of the child, shift the video to an image of or scene of a group of CS troops fighting the evil magic using D-bees with a saying along the lines " The CS armed forces are fighting to protect the future of humanity from the evil magic using traitors and D-bee scum/vermin, your sons and daughters NEED YOU!, enlist today. "

Or you could show an image of a group of scantly clad women/girls of all ages who have been *abused* with looks of horror and terror being menaced by evil magic users and D-bees who leering/drooling at the captive females with the saying " Men don't let your wives, mothers, sisters, daughters fall prey to the evil rapist magic using/D-bee scum, enlist today. "

Also you can do the reverse of the above sample show a group of *abused* men and boys of all ages being menaced by a group of clearly evil and perverted she demons, evil female magic users female D-bees with the follwing saying " Ladies don't let the evil rapist magic using/D-bee sluts steal our men folk, enlist today. "
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Bill wrote:The cartoon adventures of Commander Prosek and the Deadboys is a huge hit with the kiddies. Each episode teaches the corrupting nature of magic, the evils of d-bees, and the natural goodness of humanity. Commander Prosek action figures have been the most popular holiday gift inside Coalition cities for a decade. The show remains popular even outside of the cities, covertly promoting tensions between humans and their alien neighbors.

I don't think reducing the emperor to a cartoonish figure of fun would have quite the effect they're after. It might go down well with the kids, but it would also be extremely easy for critics and dissidents to satirise.

If they're using childrens' entertainment as propaganda it'd be better to stick with fictional characters that embody the Coalition's ideals.Sort of a GI Joe for the 24th century.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

What if the CS painted Karl Prosek to be similar to Vince McMahon in the WWE?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Rallan wrote:
Bill wrote:The cartoon adventures of Commander Prosek and the Deadboys is a huge hit with the kiddies. Each episode teaches the corrupting nature of magic, the evils of d-bees, and the natural goodness of humanity. Commander Prosek action figures have been the most popular holiday gift inside Coalition cities for a decade. The show remains popular even outside of the cities, covertly promoting tensions between humans and their alien neighbors.

I don't think reducing the emperor to a cartoonish figure of fun would have quite the effect they're after. It might go down well with the kids, but it would also be extremely easy for critics and dissidents to satirise.

If they're using childrens' entertainment as propaganda it'd be better to stick with fictional characters that embody the Coalition's ideals.Sort of a GI Joe for the 24th century.

Don't hit it with the logic stick. It's Rifts and logic doesn't need to apply. :wink:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Bill wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Don't hit it with the logic stick. It's Rifts and logic doesn't need to apply. :wink:

But it's so much better when logic DOES apply.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Alrik Vas wrote:Starship Troopers is indeed a great source for CS-like propaganda.

Yes, that's a good template.

Also, the movie Brazil has some good stuff in it.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually, the idea of a GIJoe type cartoon isn't bad. it just needs a fictional cast. the emperor and various real CS 'heroes' just get Cameos from time to time.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, the idea of a GIJoe type cartoon isn't bad. it just needs a fictional cast. the emperor and various real CS 'heroes' just get Cameos from time to time.

Agreed.
Just like Sgt. Slaughter and Walter Perry did with GI Joe.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Aaryq wrote:I'm kind of looking for existing propaganda to re-purpose. Especially stuff like WWII Propaganda (all parties), Sovietski, Best Korea, and things like that.

Take a page out of the Catholics game book. Statues, reliquary and stained glass windows.
NO they didn't have special powers they were just normal people that did special things.
NO that item doesn't have mystic properties, it was just used to cut off Lord Dunscon's hand showing that he is indeed mortal.
NO that isn't real people captured in glass of tells the story of the Tolkien War.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Killer Cyborg wrote:But it's so much better when logic DOES apply.

HA! When has it ever? Giant robot warmachines, magic, and scifi mutants are not the stuff of rational, logical, storytelling. No personal attack intended, but a lot of your complaints about the game that I've read seem to emerge from your desire for it to make sense in way that it never has and never will.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I always like the Babylon 5 shows PSA's for the Psi Corps. They seemed a good way to simulate CS propaganda about psis.....The registered psi is a good hero to be cheered. The unregistered one is a criminal traitor to be turned in.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

eliakon wrote:I always like the Babylon 5 shows PSA's for the Psi Corps. They seemed a good way to simulate CS propaganda about psis.....The registered psi is a good hero to be cheered. The unregistered one is a criminal traitor to be turned in.

Good call!

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Bill wrote:

HA! When has it ever? Giant robot warmachines, magic, and scifi mutants are not the stuff of rational, logical, storytelling. No personal attack intended, but a lot of your complaints about the game that I've read seem to emerge from your desire for it to make sense in way that it never has and never will.

Not really.
Being consistent with its own premises is all I really want.
The first few books worked quite well that way.
As well as some of the later books.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:I always like the Babylon 5 shows PSA's for the Psi Corps. They seemed a good way to simulate CS propaganda about psis.....The registered psi is a good hero to be cheered. The unregistered one is a criminal traitor to be turned in.

Good call!

Like those, starship troopers
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bill wrote:

That isn't a very ambassadorial stance.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'll have to take your word for it. We don't have meetings. :-P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bill wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:

Lol. What no seconding motions no minutes from previous meetings no old and new business? Wait that isn't what an ambassador does. Your supposed to present the good face of PB and be overly courteous. Sumtin like day, or ya may be that ambassador who argues and gets wars started.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Also bear in mind that the CS citizen population has a very high level of cybernetic augmentation. You can image cits getting bombarded through their headjacks (wirelessly connected to the CS-Net) by propaganda and mis-information to instil fear and enforce conformity.

RIFTS was written in a time before social media and wearable tech - it's no great leap to assume that cybernetic enhancement, certainly under a regime like Prosek's, is going to be far more intrusive into people's lives.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

sHaka wrote:Also bear in mind that the CS citizen population has a very high level of cybernetic augmentation. You can image cits getting bombarded through their headjacks (wirelessly connected to the CS-Net) by propaganda and mis-information to instil fear and enforce conformity.

RIFTS was written in a time before social media and wearable tech - it's no great leap to assume that cybernetic enhancement, certainly under a regime like Prosek's, is going to be far more intrusive into people's lives.

mandatory cyber eye
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:

Lol. What no seconding motions no minutes from previous meetings no old and new business? Wait that isn't what an ambassador does. Your supposed to present the good face of PB and be overly courteous. Sumtin like day, or ya may be that ambassador who argues and gets wars started.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Volunteer to write the handbook!
Alrik Vas
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:Starship Troopers is indeed a great source for CS-like propaganda.

Ah, Brazil. V for Vendetta want bad either.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Alrik Vas wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

so is being Deleted in Brazil a spell or psychic power?
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'd say it's a very ambassadorial stance. Rifts does not work if you sit down and think about it. It's ridiculous. It's illogical. A lot of the time it's even downright stupid. And you can make up apologetics for the ridiculous illogical stupidity of it all day long, but at the end of the day all you've got is a whole bunch of fanon that isn't supported by the books, and which isn't going to convince critical audiences.

If you've got a critical audience (and any audience of non-teenagers is probably going to be critical) then you need to move past the game's weakness and sell it on its strong point: this is not a game with a logical setting that makes sense, this is a game where giant robots wrassle dragons. **** logic. **** the half-assed attempts by some books to make it sound logical (and especially **** the bad attempts by some books to make it sound logical). Sell it on its explosions-and-demons-and-cyborgs strength.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rallan wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'd say it's a very ambassadorial stance. Rifts does not work if you sit down and think about it. It's ridiculous. It's illogical. A lot of the time it's even downright stupid. And you can make up apologetics for the ridiculous illogical stupidity of it all day long, but at the end of the day all you've got is a whole bunch of fanon that isn't supported by the books, and which isn't going to convince critical audiences.

If you've got a critical audience (and any audience of non-teenagers is probably going to be critical) then you need to move past the game's weakness and sell it on its strong point: this is not a game with a logical setting that makes sense, this is a game where giant robots wrassle dragons. **** logic. **** the half-assed attempts by some books to make it sound logical (and especially **** the bad attempts by some books to make it sound logical). Sell it on its explosions-and-demons-and-cyborgs strength.

MICHAEL BAY!! If he played role playing games this would be it. BOOM!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rallan wrote:Rifts does not work if you sit down and think about it.

I sit down and think about Rifts all the time, and it still works for me.
The trick is to not over-think it, just like the trick is also not to under-think it.
Any storytelling medium breaks down under close enough scrutiny, but that doesn't mean that fiction needs to be an anything-goes free-for-all for absurdity.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

so is being Deleted in Brazil a spell or psychic power?

Bureaucratic Ability.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Aw how many SGP (soilent green points) does it take? And what's its range in mass graves?
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

The CS giving out basic tools to people in the wilderness that have overt CS symbols, logos etc on them. So that they associate their survival with the CS through logo branding. The CS world view as a corporate product.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

In my games, the only portable language translators that are legal in the CS are ones that only translate one way: into American.
This promotes the dominance of the CS's primary language, which means that they have an advantage in any kind of negotiations or discussions, as well as providing a useful psychological advantage by establishing their superiority.

Naturally, they trade these devices to outlying regions/nations.

Return to “Rifts®”