Negate Super Powers vs. Multiple Lives

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Negate Super Powers vs. Multiple Lives

Unread post by Tor »

I believe so... but I would necessitate that you would need to use it continually until the time limit for body reformation ran out, and that using it only prevented the life essence from reforming the body, not that using NSA would instantly make the essence discorporate or something, just to give a fighting chance.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I would say yes. In fact, you don't even need to know the superbeing has a particular power to negate it; all super abilities possessed by the target (or by superbeings inside the target area, if using the "blanket" effect) are negated.

However, I would argue that the instant decomposition effect is also negated, so the multi-lived character can still be revived by medicine or magic. Once the negation ends, all aspects of the Multiple Lives ability would resume (body turning to dust, regenerating in seclusion), so, really, the only way you could permanently kill a character with this tactic is to completely disintegrate the corpse.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Would disintegrating the corpse actually destroy the intangible life essence though?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

I don't think it destroys the energy essence, so much as it prevents the essence from separating from the physical body.

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'd say the person would be dead (however) they died. Now you'd have to stand there from that moment on making sure the
corpse stayed dead. The disintegration comes about from the power. You have no powers and since normal people don't
disintegrate when they die, you don't have to worry about that effect happening. Now the question should be (not that I want
to start a major argument with anyone's faith) what happens to your essence. Is your essence "tricked" into joining the great
departed, do you become a ghost, or does nothing happen. I guess it depends on the interpretation of the source of the super
power. If you're saying it something to do with the body, then the body is negated into being dead, how then is the super
power connect with one's life essence. If you believe the power is mental based, and your releasing some kind of astral, etheric,
or spirit body, then it might be tricked into losing contact with its earthly body or maybe its trapped in the corpse. This is one
of those fascinating discussions I enjoy talking about when your trying to apply logic, imagination, science, reality, and of
course personnel opinion when talking about the world of super powers. It something you and your G.M. can discuss (not during
game play please). But please don't use Marvel, DC, or any other comic book as the definitive guideline.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

For the sake of argument, I would say no. If the power states that the process of regeneration begins with the body turning to dust, then staying close to the corpse would only prolong the process; A body would turn to dust eventually.. and then the process would begin anew. Of course as the power descriptions states, if you're using Negate Super Abilities and then disintegrate the corpse, dead is dead.

Now I'm curious what would happen if you used the power on the body while embalming it...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

If you had a means of tracking the essence then of course. Remember the essebce can travel up to onw hundred miles before reforming.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would think that the power would be delayed but not fully negated, allowing the character to come back once the enemy using the power negation got out of range. Even if the body is destroyed, the power may be extradimensional in nature, providing a new body once the power kicks in. If you stated as part of the character creation process that the power was linked to the body, however, destroying the body would make it impossible for the character to come back. It is one of those things that should be discussed with the GM when making the character.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

say652 wrote:If you had a means of tracking the essence then of course. Remember the essebce can travel up to onw hundred miles before reforming.

How far can it travel while the power is being negated?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

*after trying to find it....*
I am not sure where it is found, but it is my understanding that if the power is a "Natural Ability" of the Race it could not be negated.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:*after trying to find it....*
I am not sure where it is found, but it is my understanding that if the power is a "Natural Ability" of the Race it could not be negated.

Yerp HU2 pg. 95 roll 11-40 "These abilities are natural parts of the creatures biology.....and not affected by the Negate Super Powers ability."
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

MADMANMIKE wrote:as the power descriptions states, if you're using Negate Super Abilities and then disintegrate the corpse, dead is dead.

Why would disintegration prevent the power from turning the remains to dust once the negation ended?
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Tor wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:as the power descriptions states, if you're using Negate Super Abilities and then disintegrate the corpse, dead is dead.

Why would disintegration prevent the power from turning the remains to dust once the negation ended?

I didn't write it, ask Kevin.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Disintegration leaves no remains.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Disintegration leaves no remains.

So? It doesn't affect the 'life force'.
But the simple answer here is probably the same one your going to get with a lot of stuff. "That's a good question, to bad the rules are so unclear as to not provide a definite answer. Why don't you talk to your GM and see how he envisions Super Powers, Life Forces, Disinigrations, and the like in his campaign."
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

It is specifically stated in the Multiple Lives description that complete disintegration prevents the body from reforming.

One could argue that the energy essence is the superbeing's true form and is therefore inherently separate from the physical body -- in fact, this may be the case for some Alien, Immortal, and Gestalt characters -- but by default, it is assumed to be a direct manifestation of the Multiple Lives power. That is, when the character dies, the power is activated, simultaneously creating and projecting the energy essence to a distant location to regenerate. Disintegration prevents this, presumably because there's nothing left of the character to actually manifest the power.

Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I'd let him die.

It's a lot of work to set it up, so I'm inclined to let it work.

If it were a player doing it, I'd be concerned as to what sort of Psycho he may be, or what sort of psycho the enemy is. If it were a villain doing this, I'd let it not-so-subtly slip that this was a possibility so that the PC's have fighting chance.

Either way, I'd let it be fatal.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Disintegration leaves no remains.

I disagree with that. It only makes it no longer integrated. It means to break into small parts.

Tinker Dragoon wrote:It is specifically stated in the Multiple Lives description that complete disintegration prevents the body from reforming.
I don't think it says 'complete'. Rather it says 'as long as the body is not disintegrated'.

Which is a pretty vague statement because... it works if you're dismembered... but dismemberment is basically a form of disintegration, just not the common meaning since you're in large chunks and not small chunks.

It's not clear how small a chunk qualifies as enough disintegrating to prevent the power...

Which is confusing since... turning to dust is a form of disintegrating too... so maybe the particles you're chopped into just have to be larger than dust particles?

IE can't be broken down into atomic components since that's smaller than dust?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”