Struggle Running Heroes Games

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Struggle Running Heroes Games

Unread post by Juce734 »

For some reason I really struggle to run Heroes Unlimited games. Either I leave things too open and the players never seem to do anything except wait for me to give a hook it seems. OR I feel as though I railroad them too much (my old group preferred I just threw them into stuff) which bothers me more than my players.

The online games I have ran seem to go a little better but never last more than a few sessions. Usually a player or two drops and I get frustrated or I just don't have time to keep it going.

I'm cursed when it comes to running Heroes Unlimited.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Struggle Running Heroes Games

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Juce734 wrote:For some reason I really struggle to run Heroes Unlimited games. Either I leave things too open and the players never seem to do anything except wait for me to give a hook it seems. OR I feel as though I railroad them too much (my old group preferred I just threw them into stuff) which bothers me more than my players.

The online games I have ran seem to go a little better but never last more than a few sessions. Usually a player or two drops and I get frustrated or I just don't have time to keep it going.

I'm cursed when it comes to running Heroes Unlimited.

If the players have no problem riding the train.
Then I would just stoke it up open up the engine to full tilt and then shoot the engineer...
and watch as the players scramble to keep the train from derailing itself.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Damian Magecraft wrote:If the players have no problem riding the train.
Then I would just stoke it up open up the engine to full tilt and then shoot the engineer...
and watch as the players scramble to keep the train from derailing itself.

That sounds like a good game opener right there.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I seem to recall that a writer, forgive me for not remembering the name, once said "if the story starts to slow, just have some goons kick in the door and start firing. sort out the "why" after the smoke clears"

Get yourself a metaplot and some generic bad guys and you should see your ship sail straight again
Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

When in doubt, I always start as every other super hero game I can remember starts... bank robbery!

Then, I try to spin it in a different direction... maybe the robbery was a diversion, or maybe the thieves were after the contents of a mysterious safe deposit box, or the whole thing was staged for the players benefit... take a typical super hero scenario, then spin it in a unique direction and see where it takes you.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

I heard George Alec Effiinger say that once, but I think he got it from a pulp detective writer. Mickey Spillane, maybe?

Shameless self-promotion alert! Check out my blog where I give some advice about sandbox play. This is written with AD&D in mind, but just adapt the ideas on running a sandbox to supers.

http://isungr.blogspot.com/2013/09/d-challenge-day-12-favorite-dungeon.html

Also, look at some of the adventures written for the old Marvel Super Heroes game or ones for M&M or V&V. At the least, it can spark ideas.
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

Best of all, you can legally download for free almost every adventure module for TSR's Marvel Super Heroes game at Classic Marvel Forever. I have adapted a few for use in my games.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”