Shapeshifting and Wings

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shapeshifting and Wings

Unread post by 13eowulf »

There are a few Shapeshifting abilities out there. The two that come to mind are the Shapechanger Major Power and the Changeling Race.

There are a number of 'Wing' powers and abilities. There is, of course, Winged Flight, as well as Mega Wings, wings gained through Eugenics, Angel and Demon Wings gained through Heroes of the Megaverse, and others.

Often Wing powers specify a certain style of wing. Most commonly Feather, Leather, and Insect. And depending on style/type of wing some stats (mostly SDC of the wings, and flight speed, most commonly listed in mph).

IF you are a shapshifter who has wings can your shape-shifting ability be used to change the visual style of the wing, provided SDC, MPH, etc. remain unchanged? Or would you argue that the SDC & MPH will change? Or is it impossible to apply your shapeshifting ability to your wings?
And what are your reasonings?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Shapeshifting and Wings

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Without reading the actual Shapeshifting powers, I'd have to say you could probably shapechange to hide your wings (changing into a form familiar enough to you in that case) but of course you would lose the power of flight in this case. That being said, if you assumed the form of another person, and they don't have wings...I would think the result would be the same. Just like if you turned into a bear or a fish. Bears don't have wings (thank the heavens...), so if you morphed into one, you'd lose the flappers.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

One interpretation is that Shapeshifting generally does not grant powers, so changing to something with wings would not grant you the ability to fly, nor would you gain working gills or fins to swim by turning into a fish. In general, shapeshifting allows you to change appearance, so you could change the appearance of your wings, and they would blend into whatever form you took, so you could use them in another form but it would give you away as not being what you are acting as.
Another interpretation is that you can use Shapeshifting to mimic powers by creating new body parts. This does not work well in a game because it makes you pretty much able to gain hundreds of abilities, albeit temporarily.
I generally go with the first interpretation, as it limits the power in what you can do with it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:One interpretation is that Shapeshifting generally does not grant powers, so changing to something with wings would not grant you the ability to fly, nor would you gain working gills or fins to swim by turning into a fish. In general, shapeshifting allows you to change appearance, so you could change the appearance of your wings, and they would blend into whatever form you took, so you could use them in another form but it would give you away as not being what you are acting as.
Another interpretation is that you can use Shapeshifting to mimic powers by creating new body parts. This does not work well in a game because it makes you pretty much able to gain hundreds of abilities, albeit temporarily.
I generally go with the first interpretation, as it limits the power in what you can do with it.

However makeshift plus mimic...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

13eowulf wrote:There are a few Shapeshifting abilities out there. The two that come to mind are the Shapechanger Major Power and the Changeling Race.

There are a number of 'Wing' powers and abilities. There is, of course, Winged Flight, as well as Mega Wings, wings gained through Eugenics, Angel and Demon Wings gained through Heroes of the Megaverse, and others.

Often Wing powers specify a certain style of wing. Most commonly Feather, Leather, and Insect. And depending on style/type of wing some stats (mostly SDC of the wings, and flight speed, most commonly listed in mph).

IF you are a shapshifter who has wings can your shape-shifting ability be used to change the visual style of the wing, provided SDC, MPH, etc. remain unchanged? Or would you argue that the SDC & MPH will change? Or is it impossible to apply your shapeshifting ability to your wings?
And what are your reasonings?

I don't see why not at all. You're not changing any of the stats of the wings and the power let's you grow feathers, fur, leather skin etc, there's no reason it wouldn't change your wings as well. Granted I personally used it to hide wings, but that's not necessarily kosher with a by the book reading.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:One interpretation is that Shapeshifting generally does not grant powers, so changing to something with wings would not grant you the ability to fly, nor would you gain working gills or fins to swim by turning into a fish. In general, shapeshifting allows you to change appearance, so you could change the appearance of your wings, and they would blend into whatever form you took, so you could use them in another form but it would give you away as not being what you are acting as.

I respectfully disagree. this is a major power, and it is fairly limp as written, and certainly worse if you take that interpretation. I am quite fine allowing a shapeshifter to mimic most effects observable in a natural creature, subjected obviously to GM/common sense. If a shapeshifter wanted to form his arms into wings, sure I'll give him some semblance of flight. I would consider a flight speed of 2-4 times his normal Spd score (or his PS score) to be reasonable. They would have to be formed from his arms, and he had better flap them, but I would let him.

It's a major power. Most people only get one.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I'll let them get away with more 'passive' things like Fur keeping your warm or helping you camouflage or scales making it harder to get hurt to a degree, or even webbed hands to swim better, but while I'll let them grow wings flying with them beyond simple flying squirrel flying seems a bit much to me.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Iczer wrote:

I respectfully disagree. this is a major power, and it is fairly limp as written, and certainly worse if you take that interpretation. I am quite fine allowing a shapeshifter to mimic most effects observable in a natural creature, subjected obviously to GM/common sense. If a shapeshifter wanted to form his arms into wings, sure I'll give him some semblance of flight. I would consider a flight speed of 2-4 times his normal Spd score (or his PS score) to be reasonable. They would have to be formed from his arms, and he had better flap them, but I would let him.

Batts
Without limits, it is basically an ultramimic power with which you can do anything and everything because you just will yourself into a different form, equating to several majors, not just one. It by definition is too powerful, hence a need to limit it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Iczer wrote:

Batts
Without limits, it is basically an ultramimic power with which you can do anything and everything because you just will yourself into a different form, equating to several majors, not just one. It by definition is too powerful, hence a need to limit it.

and with the limits i keep seeing, it's basically a minor power

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
Daniel Stoker
Knight

No the Alter Facial Features or whatever the one power is seems like a minor. This one is a major, just not APS Plasma Major with how it works. Being able to make fully functional wings etc seems a bit much.. spikes and claws, go for it, those are simple enough. Hiding wings, that's a GM call but as I said earlier I tend to allow that as well. Growing a tail? That'd work too, but trying to make it prehensile or grow working arms? Again I'd have to say no.

Daniel Stoker
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

I thank everyone for your input.

To clarify I was asking about modifying the appearance of Wings already present. So if a Hero had Shapechanging and Mega Wings could he change Mega-Wings to look like leather or feather?

Of if he had Winged FLight - Feather could he change them to Insect Wings, etc.

I hadnt even thought about Shapechanging providing wings. There has been much on that. I will have to give that some thought.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I thought I said so before, but yes that shouldn't be an issue at all and should be easily within the powerset as that doesn't actually have any changes on the power.

Daniel stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:I thank everyone for your input.

To clarify I was asking about modifying the appearance of Wings already present. So if a Hero had Shapechanging and Mega Wings could he change Mega-Wings to look like leather or feather?

I hadnt even thought about Shapechanging providing wings. There has been much on that. I will have to give that some thought.
Changing the appearance of the wings would be easy enough. I am sorry I went off the original topic to expand it to include other issues, but I thought that this was as good a place as any to open it up for discussion.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Changing the appearance of the wings would be easy enough. I am sorry I went off the original topic to expand it to include other issues, but I thought that this was as good a place as any to open it up for discussion.

It was, and I encourage it, and the original question was answered beyond my satisfaction.

To that end, the Changeling Metamorph from Rifter 10? I think has rules that I think could be adapted to the Shapeshifting super power for creating wings where there were none before.

Turning the arms into wings, rather then a new limb. As I thought new Limbs were explicitly denied under the supoer powers.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

It was, and I encourage it, and the original question was answered beyond my satisfaction.

To that end, the Changeling Metamorph from Rifter 10? I think has rules that I think could be adapted to the Shapeshifting super power for creating wings where there were none before.

Turning the arms into wings, rather then a new limb. As I thought new Limbs were explicitly denied under the supoer powers.
I would have to look it up in the book to be sure, but generally I think you have limits on what you can do with the power in that regard. If not, it would be up to individual GMs on how they wish the power to work. I just know though that someone will want to use the power to shapeshift into something combining abilities of several major powers and argue that it is allowed under this one power because you can shapeshift into anything.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I would have to look it up in the book to be sure, but generally I think you have limits on what you can do with the power in that regard. If not, it would be up to individual GMs on how they wish the power to work. I just know though that someone will want to use the power to shapeshift into something combining abilities of several major powers and argue that it is allowed under this one power because you can shapeshift into anything.

Yeah, there is always 'That Guy™'.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Iirc there is a Q and A section in the gmg that talks about combining powers. In order for the shape shift power to grant functional wings you also need the mimic power.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would have to look it up in the book to be sure, but generally I think you have limits on what you can do with the power in that regard. If not, it would be up to individual GMs on how they wish the power to work. I just know though that someone will want to use the power to shapeshift into something combining abilities of several major powers and argue that it is allowed under this one power because you can shapeshift into anything.

I cannot think of a major ability that could be mimicked with shapeshifter, much less several

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Iczer wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would have to look it up in the book to be sure, but generally I think you have limits on what you can do with the power in that regard. If not, it would be up to individual GMs on how they wish the power to work. I just know though that someone will want to use the power to shapeshift into something combining abilities of several major powers and argue that it is allowed under this one power because you can shapeshift into anything.

I cannot think of a major ability that could be mimicked with shapeshifter, much less several

Batts
All of the Animal Abilities powers could be gained with Shapechange powers. Depending on the way you interpret shapshifting, the organs of the body could be altered to mimic any of the animal senses and abilities which include breathing in water and flight. And that is just one example I can give.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Iczer wrote:

Batts
All of the Animal Abilities powers could be gained with Shapechange powers. Depending on the way you interpret shapshifting, the organs of the body could be altered to mimic any of the animal senses and abilities which include breathing in water and flight. And that is just one example I can give.

I'm pretty sure you can't really change your attributes overmuch, and I'm certain that you wouldn't gain the dubious animal control aspects of animal abilities. That leaves a handful of non game breaking senses and an occasional speed boost. Hardly overpowered. I wouldn't have a problem with the character growing gills and webbed hands. I'll even give him +15% to swim for that. He wouldn't be getting any other abilities out of that change. If he wants to form wings out of his existing arms, sure I'll let him glide. If he wants to fly he's going to have to sort that out with physics. perhaps lowing his body mass as well, or his relative body mass to surface area.

These little things are not game breakers. They are just little bags of tricks. Shapechangers are like swiss army knives. they can do a lot of things but they don't really make up for not having the right tool.

Batts

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”