How does Reconstruction Work?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magictiger
Explorer

How does Reconstruction Work?

Unread post by magictiger »

hi guys,
1. How does Reconstruction Work? Is it automatic for making almost anything or need some skills to back it up?

2. Can he create Guns? Robots? Electronic Gizmos? Computers? As long as he has the parts???

3. Can he fix anything?

Thanks guys. If there is anything else you can tell me that I might not have figured out let me know?? Thanks again.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: How does Reconstruction Work?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Could you please tell us what you are talking about before asking questions w/o any context?

Which book, page? Is this a NPC? Things like that.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

I agree with DK.. Never heard of Reconstruction. Or I'm just not familiar with it.. If you can cite a reference for it, you'd get a much better answer.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Assuming we're talking about PU1 Reconstruction

I think the best answer is yes. While the text may not be clear [depends on what your definition of "Build, Construct, & Repair" are] I would place an emphasis on the "RE" part of the power.

Any object that was formerly in working order and recently been dismantled or broken can be returned to it's working state as long as the majority of it's parts are available. I would also place the requirement that the person have some sort of idea what it was supposed to be.

I would not allow it to build things out of whole cloth ... ie he couldn't just walk into a electronic/hardware store and fabricate a robot, even if a skilled person could with the same parts. There would have originally needed to be a robot from those parts and he could repair that robot.

I still really dig the power though, I think the ability to repair things at super speed without tools has a solid use. Hell I even used the limitation as a "feature". I had a "Behind the Scene's" Super Villian who utilized the power. Despite being able to invent reliable stuff, he would take it apart and use the power to reconstruct it, forcing people who used his gear to come back to him between jobs. . . also spitting the Heroes who really wanted to keep the stuff for themselves!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Incriptus wrote:Assuming we're talking about PU1 Reconstruction

I think the best answer is yes. While the text may not be clear [depends on what your definition of "Build, Construct, & Repair" are] I would place an emphasis on the "RE" part of the power.

Any object that was formerly in working order and recently been dismantled or broken can be returned to it's working state as long as the majority of it's parts are available. I would also place the requirement that the person have some sort of idea what it was supposed to be.

I would not allow it to build things out of whole cloth ... ie he couldn't just walk into a electronic/hardware store and fabricate a robot, even if a skilled person could with the same parts. There would have originally needed to be a robot from those parts and he could repair that robot.

Except the wording of the text is that you can build or repair anything as long as the parts are available, the building of something means you're clearly doing first assembly on something, you can't 'reconstruct' a chair from the parts to make a chair if they were never originally assembled yet the power basically says you can.

Incriptus wrote:I still really dig the power though, I think the ability to repair things at super speed without tools has a solid use. Hell I even used the limitation as a "feature". I had a "Behind the Scene's" Super Villian who utilized the power. Despite being able to invent reliable stuff, he would take it apart and use the power to reconstruct it, forcing people who used his gear to come back to him between jobs. . . also spitting the Heroes who really wanted to keep the stuff for themselves!

Well that's a main thing I hate about the power, it's a major power and clearly a mis-named power as whatever you build with it clearly isn't actually functional even if you supposedly have and use all the appropriate parts to build or repair it. The item in question is really running solely on the power to sustain it so you never repaired or rebuilt anything, just like a psi-Mechanic's psi-power gear is little more than just a focus or crutch and has no real functionality (generally) it's just a container for the power they put into it. Reconstruction doesn't build or repair anything, the person is just putting the pieces roughly together and channeling this power through the device to make it work, even when he's in a factory with everything one would need to build the object (say a chair) available. Somehow he's incapable of putting them together the right way and holds them together with his power.

Given it's a major power you should be able to efficiently and permanently (barring future damage) build or repair a device using the power, especially when you've all suited parts to the task available. But Palladium seems to really hate the idea of having actual inventive genius as a power some super-powered character might have and horribly nerfs this power as a result.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
magictiger
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Could you please tell us what you are talking about before asking questions w/o any context?

Im sorry guys. I assumed most players were familiar with and/or have Powers Unlimited books and some of the powers in them. My bad.

My questions come from the power 'Reconstruction' from Powers Unlimited 1. Its not a very clearly written power to me. Because it sounds like if I had it I could practically make any type of machines except alien. How does it work? It doesn't say you need mechanical or electrical skills and it doesn't give any bonuses for them.

Thanks again guys. Again Im sorry.
Nightmask
Palladin

magictiger wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Could you please tell us what you are talking about before asking questions w/o any context?

Im sorry guys. I assumed most players were familiar with and/or have Powers Unlimited books and some of the powers in them. My bad.

My questions come from the power 'Reconstruction' from Powers Unlimited 1. Its not a very clearly written power to me. Because it sounds like if I had it I could practically make any type of machines except alien. How does it work? It doesn't say you need mechanical or electrical skills and it doesn't give any bonuses for them.

The power seems fairly clear on that, you can build or repair any machine or device that can be constructed from the available parts. So if you're in a car factory you could hit the parts room and assemble whatever car they manufacture just from those parts even without proper tools or any idea how it works as long as all the parts are there. But the car would inexplicably stop working or fall apart after you were away from it for a while, even if you had access to absolutely everything required to make a fully functional and dependable vehicle.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
magictiger
Explorer

Nightmask wrote:
magictiger wrote:

The power seems fairly clear on that, you can build or repair any machine or device that can be constructed from the available parts. So if you're in a car factory you could hit the parts room and assemble whatever car they manufacture just from those parts even without proper tools or any idea how it works as long as all the parts are there. But the car would inexplicably stop working or fall apart after you were away from it for a while, even if you had access to absolutely everything required to make a fully functional and dependable vehicle.

What about if hes in a junkyard (mostly scrap metal) and wants to build a robot or tank? Assuming the parts are there. They probably wouldn't look pretty.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Then he is in hog heaven.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If this power ever gets too confusing, you could just use the power from Transdimensional TMNT it was ripped off of :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Nightmask wrote:
Well that's a main thing I hate about the power, it's a major power and clearly a mis-named power as whatever you build with it clearly isn't actually functional even if you supposedly have and use all the appropriate parts to build or repair it. The item in question is really running solely on the power to sustain it so you never repaired or rebuilt anything, just like a psi-Mechanic's psi-power gear is little more than just a focus or crutch and has no real functionality (generally) it's just a container for the power they put into it. Reconstruction doesn't build or repair anything, the person is just putting the pieces roughly together and channeling this power through the device to make it work, even when he's in a factory with everything one would need to build the object (say a chair) available. Somehow he's incapable of putting them together the right way and holds them together with his power.

Given it's a major power you should be able to efficiently and permanently (barring future damage) build or repair a device using the power, especially when you've all suited parts to the task available. But Palladium seems to really hate the idea of having actual inventive genius as a power some super-powered character might have and horribly nerfs this power as a result.

As a suggestion, Maybe if you could 'finalise' the construction after it was done, but before it fell apart. maybe a relevant skill check.
[EG: Roberto Du Constructor uses his reconstruction power to assemble flat packed Ikea Furniture suite in his Girlfriend's apartment. As he spends a lot of time away from her apartment (fighting crime, fixing potholes, commanding an unbeatable army of robotic construction equipment) he figures she would be upset if it fell apart during a dinner party. after he assembles it with his power (a task that takes one minute) he spends another (XX?) minutes securing the bolts with a quick General repair and maintenance roll. maybe he just adds a few bolts to stop the whole thing falling apart.]

While on the topic though.... could I build a house with this power? Now THAT would be impressive.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Nightmask
Palladin

Iczer wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

As a suggestion, Maybe if you could 'finalise' the construction after it was done, but before it fell apart. maybe a relevant skill check.
[EG: Roberto Du Constructor uses his reconstruction power to assemble flat packed Ikea Furniture suite in his Girlfriend's apartment. As he spends a lot of time away from her apartment (fighting crime, fixing potholes, commanding an unbeatable army of robotic construction equipment) he figures she would be upset if it fell apart during a dinner party. after he assembles it with his power (a task that takes one minute) he spends another (XX?) minutes securing the bolts with a quick General repair and maintenance roll. maybe he just adds a few bolts to stop the whole thing falling apart.]

While on the topic though.... could I build a house with this power? Now THAT would be impressive.

Batts

Personally I'd do away with the idea that the power has you as a delusional moron who can't accept that he doesn't actually build or repair anything and thinks everyone else is just lying or breaking his stuff when he's not even a few hundred feet away and have you actually being what you're supposed to be able to do with such a power, an actual quality builder.

In regards to the house, given it says you can build anything with the materials that are available if you could build a house with what's around so could he, it would just collapse as soon as he was outside of range of it. I'm sure they used 'anything' since the power is nerfed to the point of less than useless since nothing survives you having 'repaired' or 'built' it, so sure you can build anything since it won't provide you any actual value unless it's something you can keep with you 24/7 (which is almost nothing outside of things like watches, handguns, etc.).

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'd do away with the idea that the power has you as a delusional moron who can't accept that he doesn't actually build or repair anything and thinks everyone else is just lying or breaking his stuff when he's not even a few hundred feet away
Perhaps, but I'd leave the option open to players that they can take it as a Minor instead of a Major if they accept this handicap.

We should keep in mind there IS one permanent advantage to this power, but it's not related to actually building. Rather, it prevents things you use from breaking down on you.

So if someone ever rocket-launchers your motorcycle and you rebuild it, it will have to be rebuilt every time you return if you go too far. But when you're using it normally, it will never have problems.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”