Alien Intelligence Lite?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stattick
Adventurer

Alien Intelligence Lite?

Unread post by Stattick »

I'm looking for something like an alien intelligence, but a lot less powerful. I already looked at the Alien Intelligences from Dragons and Monsters, and even the fragments of one is still a lot tougher than I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Alien Intelligence Lite?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Stattick wrote:I'm looking for something like an alien intelligence, but a lot less powerful. I already looked at the Alien Intelligences from Dragons and Monsters, and even the fragments of one is still a lot tougher than I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

What power level are you looking for? and in what regard? MDC? magic power? other abilities?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stattick
Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Stattick wrote:I'm looking for something like an alien intelligence, but a lot less powerful. I already looked at the Alien Intelligences from Dragons and Monsters, and even the fragments of one is still a lot tougher than I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

What power level are you looking for? and in what regard? MDC? magic power? other abilities?

Well, I was writing up a fragment. I rolled poorly on stats, so it only ended up with 900 MD... That's way too much, especially with the bioregen. This is for a relatively weak group of 1st level Rifts characters with low grade equip. We'll have: a wilderness scout (D'norr or Zenith Moon Warper), a crazy, a technowizard ratling, and something else... possibly a psi-warrior.

Might have 4-8 NPCs, also first level. Elven wilderness scout, vanguard brawler merc, quickflex alien, 'borg, etc. So, even if we do have the extra NPCs, they're not the really powerful ones from Rifts, just low to mid level characters.

EDIT: I was hoping more along the lines of around 500 or so MD, and lacking a hell of a lot of the alien intelligence's powers, particularly the ones that let it teleport 1d6*100 miles away and that sort of thing. Like if an essence fragment could make an essence fragment of itself.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I think what you want is a low-level major pact witch. They can instill a fragment of themselves in a mortal vessle, the person becomes powerful (a few hundred MDC), and can get higher attributes/gain magic/get random abilties. they're in rifts conversion book one and dark conversions. i think they're right what you need.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stattick
Adventurer

But I want a tentacle monster!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Stattick wrote:But I want a tentacle monster!

Neuron Beast. Sourcebook one.

Stattick
Adventurer

So, the idea is this: Wandering party in the magic zone comes to a peasant village where there's a wedding about to occur. Most people seem happy about the wedding - they've been promised protection if they go along with it. The bride to be, and those close to her, are horrified by the idea, but the implicit threat to the village if they defy the cult has them too scared to act, so they're reluctantly going along with it.

Troll Priest of Darkness, along with a few acolytes there to perform the ceremony. The groom is a horrible tentacled thing. She's to marry it, and then they're to relocate... someplace. I already have the priest written up, including some rather nasty critters it might be able to summon in.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

You are the GM right? Why can't you size down the AI?

You know, when it comes to games, the "rules" or "books" are just a guideline, it's your game, you can make the alien intelligence up however you want.

Want less MDC, presto, it has less MDC. Want more spells, presto, it has more spells.

Use your imagination and customize is my recommendation.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Don't underestimate your group man. Throw the 900 M.D.C. beastie at them. They might struggle but if they win they just beat an alien intelligence. That is major bragging rights right there. Plus, you sound like youve got a pretty rounded group they should be able to handle it (with a plan).
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

SA1 the things that control chibola, kinda AI lite.
Gm fiat the stats to what ever you want.
The witch idea is a good one.
Have the ai possess a dragon hatching, leave stats be.

Add an extra helper npc or two to make the mdc get cut down faster, give a low use "wand" or weapon the devastates the ai, heck a weapon or two that do double or even quad dmg to AI's they are not common enough to be abused to bad.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stattick wrote:So, the idea is this: Wandering party in the magic zone comes to a peasant village where there's a wedding about to occur. Most people seem happy about the wedding - they've been promised protection if they go along with it. The bride to be, and those close to her, are horrified by the idea, but the implicit threat to the village if they defy the cult has them too scared to act, so they're reluctantly going along with it.

Troll Priest of Darkness, along with a few acolytes there to perform the ceremony. The groom is a horrible tentacled thing. She's to marry it, and then they're to relocate... someplace. I already have the priest written up, including some rather nasty critters it might be able to summon in.

"Do you, C'thulu Ry'ly, take this woman to be your bride?"
"Th'egelkghr'lyth!" :heart:
"I'll take that as a 'yes'."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Zamion138 wrote:SA1 the things that control chibola, kinda AI lite.

Add an extra helper npc or two to make the mdc get cut down faster, give a low use "wand" or weapon the devastates the ai, heck a weapon or two that do double or even quad dmg to AI's they are not common enough to be abused to bad.

Cibola's in vamp kingdoms
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Stattick
Adventurer

Eclipse wrote:

Page number or section, please? I can't find it.
Zamion138
Hero

I might have the name wrong but its on of the citys of gold in south america, its the one with gathers and the ne gear and the drugs......
Im at work so no page numbers but yeah the work guys with one huge eye and the tenticals around it.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Stattick wrote:But I want a tentacle monster!

there where tables for this in the old rifts main book. or you can use it as chance to be creative.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Take a look at "Casualties of peace" scenario at Mercenaries sourcebook (pg 151). You may find there what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

My advice: give it the powers, abilities, and stats you want. This is your world. Make it however you like and give it whatever fits.

Select powers a la carte from the list and leave it at that.

P.S. mobuttu: I'd suggest removing your apology for your English usage from your sig. I've seen a few of your posts and your English is just fine. :)
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Subjugator wrote:P.S. mobuttu: I'd suggest removing your apology for your English usage from your sig. I've seen a few of your posts and your English is just fine. :)

Thank you! But not being English my mother language I still don't feel comfortable enough, and although I try to do my best I surely do some grammar or orthographic mistakes more often than not. :D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

mobuttu wrote:
Subjugator wrote:P.S. mobuttu: I'd suggest removing your apology for your English usage from your sig. I've seen a few of your posts and your English is just fine. :)

Thank you! But not being English my mother language I still don't feel comfortable enough, and although I try to do my best I surely do some grammar or orthographic mistakes more often than not. :D

You make less than most english native speakers I know. Don't worry about it.

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
mobuttu wrote:

You make less than most english native speakers I know. Don't worry about it.

Thanks! :-)

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Use a Zebuloid, Malvoren or any of the other tentacle monster DBees. Empower them via witchery, augmentation, give them super powers or whatever.
You can do anything in Rifts.
If none of that suits your needs, just use the alien creation tables in Phase World to make something new.
Zamion138
Hero

mobuttu wrote:

You used the word orthographic in a sentence........your doing just splendidly trust me.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Zamion138 wrote:You used the word orthographic in a sentence........your doing just splendidly trust me.

I'm now officially flattered :o .

But I'll keep the sig. just in case my English teacher shows up in the forums :wink: .

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Stattick wrote:I want a tentacle monster!

One of the Metzla in Atlantis might fit that bill. Or a Cultirst of the Deep from Underseas after a while.

taalismn wrote:"Do you, C'thulu Ry'ly, take this woman to be your bride?"
"Th'egelkghr'lyth!" :heart:

I bet it took a lot of forethought and courage to overcome embarassment to pop the question.

Any lady would be lucky to have ol' Cthu, even were she a Crawling Chaos.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

How many attacks are you wanting for it? Even if it has 8 to 12 attacks per melee, one creature with 900 MDC vs. 8-12 people with 4 or more attacks melees. That is anywhere between 32 to 48 (or more). If everyone is armed with a rifle that does 3d6 MD, that works out to an average of 21 points of MD damage per attack, and with a 8 or better needed to hit with ranged attacks, their attacks will hit roughly 65%, so for one melee round, the party should deal about 436.8 points of MD per melee. It should take a little over two melees to kill it, if not quicker if they get lucky rolls. If the thing has bio regeneration, then that will draw the fight out. But with that many people, it would be good to have a bad guy who doesn't die before everyone gets a chance to attack.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Stattick
Adventurer

Well, the encounter may or may not happen with a whole bunch of NPCs in tow. It could happen with just the party members. At any rate, how does the following look? I should ad that at the moment, the most powerful ranged weapon in the party is a Wilk's energy rifle that does 3d6 MD. Everyone else is armed with pistols that do 1d6 MD, or rifles that do 2d6 MD. Oh, the guy with the more powerful gun does have a few grenades too.

Ixtalalt

IQ 12
MA 14
ME 10
PS 22 MD Dmg: 2d6
PP 10
PE 9
PB 5
SPD 15

HF 7

Regeneration: 1d4*100/minute
Nightvision 600 yards
See invisible
Turn invisible at will
Impervious to poison, toxins, drugs, and disease
Doesn't breath
Resistant to cold and heat.
Resistant to mundane weapons.

Full damage from silver weapons.
Vulnerable to fire: full dmg, and magic fire does dbl dmg.
Vulnerable to magic: magic weapons, holy weapons, rune weapons, spells, and creatures of magic do dbl dmg.
Vulnerable to iron: iron weapons do dmg in MD.

900 MD

1,800 PPE
4,000 ISP

+3 on initiative, +1 to strike, +4 to save vs illusionary
magic, +8 to save vs horror factor, +2 on all other saving
throws.

6 atts/round

Knows Necromancy, and all related spells. Equivalent of 9th lvl.

Psi: All sensitive + 1d6 Super psi. Equivalent of 11th lvl.
Mind Block AD
Mind Wipe
Mind Bond
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

It knows all necromancy and necromancy related spells? You sure? The party is probablly toast in any straight up fight. Death bolt + death word are more or less going to trash them.

Subjugator

Nekira Sudacne wrote:It knows all necromancy and necromancy related spells? You sure? The party is probablly toast in any straight up fight. Death bolt + death word are more or less going to trash them.

I love you, Nekira. <3

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:It knows all necromancy and necromancy related spells? You sure? The party is probablly toast in any straight up fight. Death bolt + death word are more or less going to trash them.

lol... they will never see it coming, it turns invisible at will :)
Stattick
Adventurer

Well, I think I wrote it up correctly. Per pg 73 of the Gods and Magic book, it says to roll to see what spell knowledge it has. Or is that only supposed to apply to the Intelligence itself, and not the essence fragment? The book's vague.
Zamion138
Hero

Stattick wrote:

Well, I think I wrote it up correctly. Per pg 73 of the Gods and Magic book, it says to roll to see what spell knowledge it has. Or is that only supposed to apply to the Intelligence itself, and not the essence fragment? The book's vague.

alot of books say alot of things man...... (says in his best stoner voice)
but just beacuse it says something doesnt mean you gotta do it. Your the GM that makes you god, god gets to take powers and spells away from npc's
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Stattick wrote:

You did write it up correctly, but you probablly need to tone it down. if their best equipment is 2d6 + a handful of grenades, and all necromancy, they really are up aginst a tad too much.

Stattick
Adventurer

So... switch to a non-AI. Or change the kind of magic it has. How about: All Fire and Water Warlock spells?

Oh, btw, yeah, I realize that the stats and HF are kinda low. I rolled for 'em, and they came out low. :P
Subjugator

Advice: Don't make a chart - make it what you think it should be.

/Sub

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Stattick wrote:
Eclipse wrote:

Page number or section, please? I can't find it.

Sorry, my bad - was thinking of Xibalba. Vamp kingdoms p. 160.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Stattick wrote:Well, the encounter may or may not happen with a whole bunch of NPCs in tow. It could happen with just the party members. At any rate, how does the following look? I should ad that at the moment, the most powerful ranged weapon in the party is a Wilk's energy rifle that does 3d6 MD. Everyone else is armed with pistols that do 1d6 MD, or rifles that do 2d6 MD. Oh, the guy with the more powerful gun does have a few grenades too.

With that regeneration rate and MDC total, it will take that party 14.17 melee rounds to kill that beast assuming that the guys with the weaker guns all inflict 2D6 damage and the damage/regeneration averages out evenly (and none of their shots miss which is extremely unlikely).
I doubt that they will all survive long enough to kill that thing. After two of them die, they are no longer likely to out-damage that thing's regeneration.

If you want them to win, make sure they have a lot of NPC backup, if you don't want them to win make sure they at least realize that they are going to need to flee.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

With a group like that - I would use a Master Vampire. They are just fairly brutal when you start using them with tactics. I used 1 with 2 secondary vampires and a bunch of Human underlings against a fairly decent party (Mix between 3rd to 8th level).

I was able to convince the players that they had to go in with non-lethal force (the Leader was a Cyberknight). And when they scouted the area they saw a bunch of gangers running around with SDC weaponry and no or little armor.

Return to “Rifts®”