Bag of Holding?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stattick
Adventurer

Bag of Holding?

Unread post by Stattick »

Are there stats for a Bag of Holding in Rifts? I can't find one. I'm also interested in how to price one.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Bag of Holding?

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Best you can do is in Temporal Magic.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Stattick wrote:Are there stats for a Bag of Holding in Rifts? I can't find one. I'm also interested in how to price one.

Nothing I know of. :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

I always kinda hated this convention in D&D - this and the Portable Hole. Logistics should be part of adventuring, damnit.

I had a party that had a Portable Hole (slightly different from a BoHolding), and I set it up that the hole was actually a closet in the house of a powerful Githyanki. It was a seldom used closet, and the PCs just thought the random objects stuffed in the hole (a few chairs, a divan with a drape over it) were left by the previous owner.

Occasionally, i'd ask the player keeping track of what was in the portable hole to hand me the sheet, and i'd amend the contents, sometimes removing things but more usually adding things (a rolled up rug, an old dresser, that kind of thing). It took the PCs the better part of two years to figure out that the hole was actually this Gith's closet.

They were always suspicious of extradimensional spaces thereafter.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Stattick wrote:Are there stats for a Bag of Holding in Rifts? I can't find one. I'm also interested in how to price one.

The only thing that comes close is the Dimetional Pocket spell in long term mode. 6 months per level.
In PFRPG such retail from 90,000 gp to 1 mill. gp.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I do not see the need for one in Rifts. There are plenty of vehicles out there to carry your stuff and most of them are fairly hefty in the armor and defense department.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The only thing that comes close is the Dimetional Pocket spell in long term mode. 6 months per level.
In PFRPG such retail from 90,000 gp to 1 mill. gp.

Rifts WB 3 England, page 76 describes the same thing, except in credits rather than gold.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Icefalcon wrote:I do not see the need for one in Rifts. There are plenty of vehicles out there to carry your stuff and most of them are fairly hefty in the armor and defense department.

Eh. Most vehicles have kinda of pitiful amount of storage. Robot vehicles are even worse. Even in Rifts a lot of players rely on what they can carry.

"No sir, I'm telling you, the Mountaineer ATV WILL fit through that cave entrance, trust me." ;)
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

Hystrix wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:I do not see the need for one in Rifts. There are plenty of vehicles out there to carry your stuff and most of them are fairly hefty in the armor and defense department.

Eh. Most vehicles have kinda of pitiful amount of storage. Robot vehicles are even worse. Even in Rifts a lot of players rely on what they can carry.

"No sir, I'm telling you, the Mountaineer ATV WILL fit through that cave entrance, trust me." ;)

Someone with a bit of magic can make creative use of some spells to increase the carrying capacity for long hauls..
Featherlight to reduce weight of objects, combined with carpet of adhesion can allow you to plaster a lot of stuff on the outside of the vehicle. Or using fly on a wooden shed or other non plastic/metal enclosure with a rope attached to your vehicle to allow it to float along behind you.
If there were spells for reducing and increasing the size of objects, can shrink the items you're not using at the time for transportation, then enlarge them again. Combined with featherlight allows FAR more gear to be carried in a smaller space.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I don't know what the capacity of a D&D bag of holding is. Dimensional pockets are limited to (I think) 30 pounds, but they can be safely nested (barring the GM ruling otherwise).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

flatline wrote:I don't know what the capacity of a D&D bag of holding is. Dimensional pockets are limited to (I think) 30 pounds, but they can be safely nested (barring the GM ruling otherwise).

--flatline

The D&D bags of holding come in several sizes.. each holding increasing amount of weight. So like 20, 50, 100 pounds sort of thing, and holds a certain volume as well. Also you're kind of limited as well as to what can fit in the opening.

So bags of holding help, but they themselves do weigh a bit (not a lot), but to haul away a dragon's horde you'll need a LOT of bags of holding.
Icefalcon
Champion

Hystrix wrote:

If the party fails to have at least one vehicle that is meant for carrying cargo, then they are not going to be carrying to many supplies and cannot be very far from civilization for more than a few days at a time anyway. They will run out of food every couple of days. With no room for cargo in their vehicles, that means they sleep on the ground at night and are vulnerable. No sleeping in the vehicle or robot if there is not enough room for cargo, right?

Seriously though, what character in Rifts (not Fantasy) is ever going to have a treasure haul large enough that they need more than a truck bed to carry it away?
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

You guys should check out Rifter 57. Dimensional pockets.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Icefalcon wrote:If the party fails to have at least one vehicle that is meant for carrying cargo, then they are not going to be carrying to many supplies and cannot be very far from civilization for more than a few days at a time anyway. They will run out of food every couple of days. With no room for cargo in their vehicles, that means they sleep on the ground at night and are vulnerable. No sleeping in the vehicle or robot if there is not enough room for cargo, right?

Those are serious problems that need to be addressed, but there are other ways to deal with them.
I've played in parties where the largest vehicle was a hover cycle and we had none of the problems you suggest.

Sustain lets you avoid having a food problem. Dimensional Envelope means you have a safe place to sleep. Dimensional Pockets means you can carry as much equipment as you like as long as no individual piece of equipment weighs more than 30 pounds.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

If the party fails to have at least one vehicle that is meant for carrying cargo, then they are not going to be carrying to many supplies and cannot be very far from civilization for more than a few days at a time anyway. They will run out of food every couple of days. With no room for cargo in their vehicles, that means they sleep on the ground at night and are vulnerable. No sleeping in the vehicle or robot if there is not enough room for cargo, right?

Seriously though, what character in Rifts (not Fantasy) is ever going to have a treasure haul large enough that they need more than a truck bed to carry it away?

Clearly, you have never adventured (or vacationed) with my wife...
Icefalcon
Champion

Hystrix wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I can really stuff a vehicle with a lot of things. You just have to be good at Jenga. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Since most of my chars have shoes as their "vehicle", they would love having a 'magic bag' to hold stuff in.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Since most of my chars have shoes as their "vehicle", they would love having a 'magic bag' to hold stuff in.

Then those characters must not carry a lot of food with them or they must not get far from town. People cannot live in armor 24/7 and it will result in at least one ambush when characters have no access to MDC protection. Not to mention carrying enough food on your back is going to get very heavy after a while.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Icefalcon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Since most of my chars have shoes as their "vehicle", they would love having a 'magic bag' to hold stuff in.

Then those characters must not carry a lot of food with them or they must not get far from town. People cannot live in armor 24/7 and it will result in at least one ambush when characters have no access to MDC protection. Not to mention carrying enough food on your back is going to get very heavy after a while.

Well, you can actually carry a lot of e-rations (particularly the kind they talk about being available in Rifts - we're developing them now; a block of what looks like chocolate the size of a block of cheese that has about 50,000 calories in it and all the essential vitamins and nutrients. It also tastes like toothpaste, but hey, you cant have everything) on your back - and a lot of characters, like a Wilderness Scout, for instance, probably only use rations to supplement what they forage and hunt. So that in and of itself is not *always* going to be a limiting factor.

A skilled woodsman can go for months without needing supplies if he's got the right skills. Sometimes longer. But not all characters are woodsmen and experienced at living off the land, so your point stands for a large majority of characters.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Icefalcon
Champion

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

Well, you can actually carry a lot of e-rations (particularly the kind they talk about being available in Rifts - we're developing them now; a block of what looks like chocolate the size of a block of cheese that has about 50,000 calories in it and all the essential vitamins and nutrients. It also tastes like toothpaste, but hey, you cant have everything) on your back - and a lot of characters, like a Wilderness Scout, for instance, probably only use rations to supplement what they forage and hunt. So that in and of itself is not *always* going to be a limiting factor.

A skilled woodsman can go for months without needing supplies if he's got the right skills. Sometimes longer. But not all characters are woodsmen and experienced at living off the land, so your point stands for a large majority of characters.

I will agree with the experienced woodsman being able to live off the land as he travels. But look, for example, at the cyber-doc. That type of character would be hopeless in the wilderness survival, at least 9 times out of 10. Also, not a character that is as physically fit as even a common grunt so less carry capacity. Not to mention, not going to be able to ply their profession while traveling without some type of vehicle carrying a portable hospital.

Looking at most OCC's, they start with some type of vehicle. Even if it is just a horse, they are going to be able to carry more than what they can on just their back. Where some characters would not start with a vehicle, one can be obtained easily enough that among a character party someone should have a large enough vehicle to carry all of the groups supply (no matter if one or more characters choose to walk).
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I can really stuff a vehicle with a lot of things. You just have to be good at Jenga. :lol:

LOL. Yep.

No I see what you are saying, but some places you just can't take vehicles. I can see why bags of holding would be useful. To be able to carry 30 lbs of food and water that weighs next to nothing in the magic bag.

This is why I wish PB would have been more discriptive on Tolkeen Soldiers during SoT. The logistics of magic alone would have been cool to see...
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Hystrix wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

LOL. Yep.

No I see what you are saying, but some places you just can't take vehicles. I can see why bags of holding would be useful. To be able to carry 30 lbs of food and water that weighs next to nothing in the magic bag.

This is why I wish PB would have been more descriptive on Tolkeen Soldiers during SoT. The logistics of magic alone would have been cool to see...
[/quote][/quote]

I wish we could have gotten a description of the city pre destruction. It is so frustrating to read there is this structure and it is destroyed.. With no explanation of how it worked before.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Daeglan wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

LOL. Yep.

This is why I wish PB would have been more descriptive on Tolkeen Soldiers during SoT. The logistics of magic alone would have been cool to see...

I wish we could have gotten a description of the city pre destruction. It is so frustrating to read there is this structure and it is destroyed.. With no explanation of how it worked before.[/quote]
Answer: Magic[/quote]

Well yes but a lot of things don't tell you what they did.

Return to “Rifts®”