Most Favorite Rifts Artist

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: Most and Least Favorite Rifts Artist

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:I'll start.

For most favorite, it's a toss up between Kevin Long and Ramon Perez.

Worst... Nicholas Bradshaw. I really hate his artwork. It just feels very off and not in the style of the art I consider Palladium Books good stuff. His work in Madhaven and Vampire Kingdoms Revised just really turns me off.

I liked his artwork for both books, so this comes to the person style then anything esle
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Top three

Ramon Perez
Mike Mumah
Chuck Walton.

Perez "Defines" Rifts for me. Sadly he's moved on to other projects. Mumah and Walton are both excellent artists and I love their feel of their works.

Bottom 2
Burles. His art may have it's place. I do not think that place is my RPG books. I've explained this many times in the past. I find it distasteful. Most of his art looks very very a-symetrical, and like lumps of snot, or melted wax. His art has -ruined- books for me. To the point I've actually refused to spend money on them. I'd put down Burles three times if possible. But that wouldn't say what else to avoid.

Nick Bradshaw. I state up front his art isn't 'Bad'. I just don't 'prefer' it. For what he's going for, that splatter punk/gross out/pulp-comic/gross out ((Yeah twice)) type, he hits it DEAD ON. I just don't like it. His art in Madhaven put me off the book for years. Even now I can't take the things he drew seriously. If the creature has no way to even move or function as shown, it's silly. He's done some work in other books too, I didn't like his stuff in Vamp Kingdoms revised. Most recently he did some stuff in Black Market for the Traveling freak shows. It was a teny tiny bit better there. Due to the subject matter and he didn't go too funky with it. Again, for what he's aiming for, he hits 100% so the "Art" isn't bad. I just don't like it and don't like it in my RPG books.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Let's keep this topic to just the "Most Favorites" and politely leave out the "Least."

"Least favorite artist" discussions tend to quickly devolve.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

I'll agree with Perez, especially the "defining Rifts" part.

Wayne Breaux was also a favorite.

Vince Martin I would've liked better if he could do more than one art style. What he did was pretty good, but it often looked like it was all for the same side.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Re: Most Favorite Rifts Artist

I know I might be in the minority, but I don't like Wayne Breaux all that much. He's not the worst by far, but there's somerthing about his style that makes me go "Meh" He didnt' rank the bottom by any means but for me he's sorta lower middle ground. I know some people LOOVE his stuff. I've just never been one of them. Again I chalk that up to preference. I like green. Some people like orange. Me not liking orange doesn't make orange things SUCK. I just don't like them. I think that's me and Breaux. I don't love his stuff. But it's not 'bad' because of that.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Kevin Long. He was one of the orginals, and his artwork still stands out as the best.

I also like Ramon Perez and Wayne Breaux
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I have to say, when it comes to down and dirty, Horror and gross. i go with bradshaw

On the others i have to go with old school

Kevin Long for robots, Newton Ewell for some fantastic work in atlantis.
Scott Johnson for some great illustrations in PFRPG
And teh Late Keith Parkinson, for his phenomenal Cover art and Color paintings in the rifts series of books, as well as many other Novel covers of his day
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Nether
Adventurer

Unread post by Nether »

1) Ramon Perez
2) Ramon Perez
3) Ramon Perez

The guy is fantastic and I have always thought that PB should have made him thier main go to artist for all thier books. That guy is perfect for Rifts.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

1. Perez
2. Walton
3. Long

Love the Wormwood guys too!
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Kevin Long, Ramon Parez and Wayne Breaux are the standards that I got used to a very long time ago. I have been a bit disappointed with roleplaying art in general the last 10 years or so. To much of it has a cartoony or Tokyo pop kind of feel to it. Palladium still has great art, but not all of the artists swing the more realistic look in the books.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

argos wrote:My favorite artist has been Freddie E williams. The cover to black vault is awesome. His art is of an epic nature befitting rifts.
I cant say i dislike any artist. Some i like more than others, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, but honsetly i find it amazing that artists can do what they do.

I like Freddie Williams as well (( is he 'The third? I seem to remember that))

Sadly his run with Palladium seemed short and I'm not sure if he's still working with them. I think he got a comic or something, but I could be wrong.

I DID/Do like his work though. Good stuff. He did great with super hero stuff (( Did alot with Cyber knights too)) and I think he had some stuff in DBees.

ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Cover Artist: Keith Parkinson. The first cover of the main book is like the first time that I have fallen in love. I can't forget her!

Interior Artists: 1) Kevin Long, 2) Wayne Breaux, 3) Ramon Perez. They could be considered the Holy Triad! They have defined RIFTS. THIS IS A FACT!

The new King: Chuck Walton. He is the NEW BEST ARTIST!.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
zaccheus
Explorer

Unread post by zaccheus »

ffranceschi wrote:Cover Artist: Keith Parkinson. The first cover of the main book is like the first time that I have fallen in love. I can't forget her!

Interior Artists: 1) Kevin Long, 2) Wayne Breaux, 3) Ramon Perez. They could be considered the Holy Triad! They have defined RIFTS. THIS IS A FACT!

The new King: Chuck Walton. He is the NEW BEST ARTIST!.

100% aggree. The Only thing I'll add is that the image of the slaver and the lemurian biomancer fighting on page 164 of the lemuria book by Chuck Walton rivals the image on the main book, not necessarily in "finish", it deffinately is a bit rougher, but it does in spirit. That picture just screams RIFTS to me, just like the slaver depicted on the cover of the main book. I think they should both pay Chuck more (if possible) and give him more cover projects. I'm not sure how his art will translate to covers but I think he's an asset that Palladium books really needs to capitalize on. I would accept a few sub par covers done by walton while he's refining his skill over some of the more recent covers they've put out (BlackMarket I'm looking at you!).
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

zaccheus wrote:I think they should both pay Chuck more (if possible) and give him more cover projects. I'm not sure how his art will translate to covers but I think he's an asset that Palladium books really needs to capitalize on. I would accept a few sub par covers done by walton while he's refining his skill over some of the more recent covers they've put out (BlackMarket I'm looking at you!).

Greetings and Salutations. Since you said you're not sure how his artwork would translate to covers, I feel I should point out he's already done some covers. So I direct your attention to ...

Northern Gun One: https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... n-One.html

Rifter #57: https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... er-57.html
(Higher Quality version): http://chuckwalton.deviantart.com/galle ... 4#/d4n7sz8

Rifts Path of the Storm: https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... Storm.html
(Higher Quality version): http://chuckwalton.deviantart.com/galle ... 4#/d4glw7u

Rifter #50: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... sary-Issue (looks to be sold out at the Palladium store)
(Higher Quality version): http://chuckwalton.deviantart.com/galle ... 8#/d2legc2

Rifter #44: https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... er-44.html
(Higher Quality version): http://chuckwalton.deviantart.com/galle ... 8#/d1pr2ov

Those are the ones I know of. If I missed any, I apologize. Anyways, this isn't to say he should get more, get less, or already has enough. T his is just to help show how his medium would translate to cover art. You can look and judge for yourself. Anyways, just wanted to chime in with that information. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

favorite: Chuck Walton
least favorite :Burles
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

Perez hands down.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Ramon Perez - great art and cool guy, met him way back in the day when he used to work at my local comic shop in Oshawa. I was talking to him again a little while back when he was starting work on the new Captain America comic out of his studio in Toronto.

Kevin Long

Mike Mumah - awesome art and also seems to be a really nice guy, never met him in person but spoke to him online a bunch of times.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

For me, Rifts is always Kevin Long with Wayne Breaux being the Phase World guy. Just look at my name and I think you can see how much I love his artwork.

As for new artists it is Nicholas Bradshaw and Amy Ashbaugh. Amy's work in Black Market is spectacular and I love what I saw from Bradshaw at the open house for Vampire SB and I think one of the Northern Gun books(?).
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

Keith Parkinson, rest in peace
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Best-

Walton, Mumah, Perez

Honorable Mention-

Ashbaugh and Breaux-

Style doesn't agree with my tastes-

Dubisch, Burles
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Ramon Perez was the best! Burles is my least favorite as I love to scale my characters in mircrosoft word next to bots, monsters and vehicles with abstract bubble art their no use to me
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Keith Parkinson by a long shot (and those behind include some FANTASTIC artists, you're just not up to this Usain Bolt of artists).
Last edited by The Dark Elf on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I love Chuck Walton, Wayne Breaux, Kevin Long, Kent Burles, Scott Johnson, Nick Bradshaw, Amy Ashbaugh, Allen Manning (but not Brian :D ) John Zeleznik, Keith Parkinson, and Mark Dudley.

Oh yeah, and that Mumah cat, too.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

If you're asking me to define the look of Rifts, I'd say Long, Breaux, and Perez. You ask for my favorites and I'll include Mumah, Walton, and Johnson.

Burles is not my favorite, but I'd hardly call him a least favorite (though probably close, just not my cup of tea). Amy Ashbaugh is not my favorite Rifts artist, but she is a top favorite for anything horror. Mumah and Walton too.

As much as I like KS though, I'm not a big fan of his artwork. Again, not my least favorite (that belongs to art in other RPGs I like, and no I'm not going to go into it0, but it's pretty far from my favorite.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Perez (and NOT because he's a fellow Torontonian ...and double Eisner award winner :angel: ) um... and Walton for the new guard.
For iconic? Kevin Long. He wasn't high-art but he WAS "THE" look for Rifts for a very long time.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

mumah wrote:I love Chuck Walton, Wayne Breaux, Kevin Long, Kent Burles, Scott Johnson, Nick Bradshaw, Amy Ashbaugh, Allen Manning (but not Brian :D ) John Zeleznik, Keith Parkinson, and Mark Dudley.

Really? That guy is a total hack! :clown: :P :lol:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

mumah wrote:I love Chuck Walton, Wayne Breaux, Kevin Long, Kent Burles, Scott Johnson, Nick Bradshaw, Amy Ashbaugh, Allen Manning (but not Brian :D ) John Zeleznik, Keith Parkinson, and Mark Dudley.

:(

There's no love for Michael Wilson? He's one of my favorites as well.
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I love all of the artists. Palladium has such a wide stable of talent to pull from that it doesn't matter what type of image they are trying to put forth, they have someone whose skill set matches perfectly. I'm also pleasantly surprised by them a lot. I saw a bradshaw piece in the Black Market book the other day that had NMI's Bar in the background and one of my favorite moments where an artist does something totally unexpected was in Triax 2 where themannings had apiece with a jaeger standing on the neck of a gurgoyle. It was pretty epic.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Rifts®”