Pistol with SDC and MDC damage options

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Re: Pistol with SDC and MDC damage options

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

venyasalome wrote:Ok, fellow Rifters... you are my last hope! I'm trying to get ready for a new campaign I'm playing in, and I'm missing an item.

I've sifted through all of the books that I own (which is most of them!!), but I've not found what I'm looking for.

Somewhere or other, I know I've seen this, is a pistol that has dual settings. One setting that does SDC damage and one setting that does MDC damage.

So for all of you weapon-masters out there... can you give me a reference?

Thanks, Rifters!! You (and this game) are all epic covered in awesome sauce!!

the one that I KNOW of is in Rifts Underseas (WB7). It's the new navy M-2011 energy pistol. 1d4x10 sd or 3d6 MD per blast
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

There is also the newer Wilks 101 found in Merc Ops.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

There's one in the rifter about New Chillichote (How ever it's spelled))

An entire company that caters to the person in rifts earth that wants some self defence with out needing military "I wanna blow up a tank" application. A pistol had sdc and minor MD ability.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Triax weapons locker in Rifter #51 has a pistol that might fit your needs.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Juicer uprising has a pistol shotgun that would fit the bill.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

MP-10 in Mercenaries as well if you use Ramjet rounds....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Seems like there's all sorts of options. :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler

My personal favorite tactic is to get an MDC replica of a common pistol, Glock, Beretta, whatever. Then use either standard ammo, silver bullets, ramjets, or, for a decent MD alternative, Wilks CFT bullets. Is a lot more versatile than carrying around 2 different weapons and allows you a good chance to smuggle what amounts to a military- grade pistol into a controlled terriorty. After all, how many times does someone check ammo that you're carrying in?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Faceless Dude wrote:My personal favorite tactic is to get an MDC replica of a common pistol, Glock, Beretta, whatever. Then use either standard ammo, silver bullets, ramjets, or, for a decent MD alternative, Wilks CFT bullets. Is a lot more versatile than carrying around 2 different weapons and allows you a good chance to smuggle what amounts to a military- grade pistol into a controlled terriorty. After all, how many times does someone check ammo that you're carrying in?

In a setting where you can do that, any time someone checks for a normal pistol, they're going to take yours, if it's SD or MDC.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Faceless Dude wrote:My personal favorite tactic is to get an MDC replica of a common pistol, Glock, Beretta, whatever. Then use either standard ammo, silver bullets, ramjets, or, for a decent MD alternative, Wilks CFT bullets. Is a lot more versatile than carrying around 2 different weapons and allows you a good chance to smuggle what amounts to a military- grade pistol into a controlled terriorty. After all, how many times does someone check ammo that you're carrying in?

Why would it need to be an MDC replica? All "SDC" weapons can fire ramjet rounds. Even if you do get an MDC replica that doesn't make the ammo cause MDC.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Volomyre wrote:I see that you did specify a pistol, but just incase I wanted to point out that the JA-ll Juicer rifle has the SDC/MDC option. Pg 270 RUE.

Hmm...JP-11. Multi barreled pistol version of the rifle. Interesting.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:
Volomyre wrote:I see that you did specify a pistol, but just incase I wanted to point out that the JA-ll Juicer rifle has the SDC/MDC option. Pg 270 RUE.

:roll: except that if you shorten the barrel on a laser weapon it will have various effects. The barrel ususally isn't just a hollow tube... the laser doesn't need to be rifled after all. So if there is a barrel on a laser weapon it is likely all active laser medium/gain medium. The first problem is that you'll loose the output coupler which completely breaks the laser. If you have the skills or find someone that has them and they do cut and then put in a new output coupler then your overall gain will be reduced, so damage will be reduced. If not done correctly the beams cohesion may also be affected again reducing damage but also reducing range.

Also if you play your ion guns like a different version of a PBW then the barrel is probably part of the accelerator and shortening it will reduce range and damage. If you play your ion guns like a lightning gun, shortening the barrel shouldn't do much.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Why would it need to be an MDC replica? All "SDC" weapons can fire ramjet rounds. Even if you do get an MDC replica that doesn't make the ammo cause MDC.

Putting CFT rounds into a regular pistol will more than likely blow the gun up. 65% chance the gun will explode and do double damage to the shooter. Pistol made of MDC materials prevents this.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

:roll: except that if you shorten the barrel on a laser weapon it will have various effects. The barrel ususally isn't just a hollow tube... the laser doesn't need to be rifled after all. So if there is a barrel on a laser weapon it is likely all active laser medium/gain medium.

Who said anything about rifling a laser barrel? No need to roll eyes... That is just rude.

The first problem is that you'll loose the output coupler which completely breaks the laser.

Tighten it down then. Seriously, if you are going to get all technical and start rolling your eyes, you should at least spell correctly.

If you have the skills or find someone that has them and they do cut and then put in a new output coupler then your overall gain will be reduced, so damage will be reduced. If not done correctly the beams cohesion may also be affected again reducing damage but also reducing range.

So? You have a lower powered laser. Big deal.

Also if you play your ion guns like a different version of a PBW then the barrel is probably part of the accelerator and shortening it will reduce range and damage. If you play your ion guns like a lightning gun, shortening the barrel shouldn't do much.

Again, so you have a lower powered ion blast. Pretty typical for a pistol version of the same technology. Not seeing an eye rolling post here.

Bottom line is, the original poster was looking for something that was a pistol that had both an MDC and SDC source of damage. What you described would still fit the bill. Even if you are using a single shot ballistic round for the SDC portion and the laser/ion for the MDC portion.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Perhaps you should just ask your GM to let you have an operator customize the pistol you want to use...the safety switch now has 3 options instead of two...
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Gallant H-90, Robotech.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rimmer wrote:Gallant H-90, Robotech.

:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

:roll: except that if you shorten the barrel on a laser weapon it will have various effects. The barrel ususally isn't just a hollow tube... the laser doesn't need to be rifled after all. So if there is a barrel on a laser weapon it is likely all active laser medium/gain medium.

Who said anything about rifling a laser barrel? No need to roll eyes... That is just rude.

I'm not going to apologize for rolling my eyes in frustration over a lack of knowledge in lazer technology. I could understand particle weapons, ion (since it is pretty ambiguous what that actually is), and railguns, since they are new or future tech but lasers are old, as old as Tesla actually. So roll indeed. I didn't say that anyone did say anything about having to rifle the barrel, I said "The barrel ususally isn't just a hollow tube... the laser doesn't need to be rifled after all." What I mean, and obviously how it wasn't taken, is that the barrel has a function but it isn't hollow and it isn't rifled, as that would do nothing, so a hollow barrel would be completely useless and do nothing but add weight and length when that particular weapon (IF it had a hollow barrel) would be better served with a short barrel to make it more usefull in enclosed areas.
The first problem is that you'll loose the output coupler which completely breaks the laser.

Tighten it down then. Seriously, if you are going to get all technical and start rolling your eyes, you should at least spell correctly.
Yeah because spelling detracts from the correctness of the technical portion, you can't "tighten it down" the output coupler is a semi-opaque mirror adhered to one end of the lasing material.

If you have the skills or find someone that has them and they do cut and then put in a new output coupler then your overall gain will be reduced, so damage will be reduced. If not done correctly the beams cohesion may also be affected again reducing damage but also reducing range.

So? You have a lower powered laser. Big deal.
Cutting a rifle down to pistol size... is likely gonna end up giving you 1d6 and 2d6 at best and half range not to mention your cutting down the 7.62mm rifled barrel down which is going to reduce range... IRL for a rifled barrel accuracy as well.

Again, so you have a lower powered ion blast. Pretty typical for a pistol version of the same technology. Not seeing an eye rolling post here.
Nope no eye rolling here... pretty much on the lack of laser knowledge especially when information on lasers is easily obtainable.

Bottom line is, the original poster was looking for something that was a pistol that had both an MDC and SDC source of damage. What you described would still fit the bill. Even if you are using a single shot ballistic round for the SDC portion and the laser/ion for the MDC portion.
It would but it certainly doesn't rank an "interesting" in my book, but of course that is just my opinion. Besides a Glock 18 or a Skorpion VZ 61 which are both machine pistols. They can both use SD bullets and MD ramjet rounds and if you make DU Ramjet rounds a little more damage. Both the SD and the MD rounds can be coated with silver to make them more damaging. Now the funny thing with vampires taking damage is that a ramjet round is an SD round modified with a ramjet engine (solid fuel with a compressing nose intake that makes the air combust the fuel) and you can make an SD round out of DU and it just increases the damage, but it is still SD. So the strange thing is that even though it is technically 100s of SD that your doing, because the book lists it as MD you actually end up with lower damage to vampires with the DU Ramjet in silver than you do with standard rounds in silver. :lol:

Anyways it looks like you got a little hot under the collar and I do apologize for that but I do not apologize for my frustration.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rimmer wrote:Gallant H-90, Robotech.

:ok:

WITH the old burst rules not just :ok: but :eek: !!!!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Zer0 Kay wrote: Anyways it looks like you got a little hot under the collar and I do apologize for that but I do not apologize for my frustration.

You got frustrated off of a one line post and threw down an "I know more than you and you are an idiot because I assume you don't know what I'm talking about" post and took it out on me personally, with no provocation from me what-so-ever. That makes you a douche and lose credibility. Take that feedback and run with it.
Updated Aug 2015

Return to “Rifts®”