question for all

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

should she join the group?

Yes :)
64%
No! :(
8%
Depends
28%

Total votes: 36

drakinn
Explorer

question for all

Unread post by drakinn »

should my wife game with us
She used to roleplay and was good at it then school and life came along. she is out of school now and i need some good reasons for her to join the group again so could you help me out :)
Last edited by drakinn on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skilled Warriors of old
Their wariness was as that of one crossing a river in winter;
Their caution was as that of one in fear of all around;
Their gravity was as that of a guest
Their relaxation was as that of ice at the melting point

Tao Te Ching
Armorlord
Hero

Re: questtion for all

Unread post by Armorlord »

I said yes, because I know of, and know personally, married couples gaming together and having a lot of fun.
I've also heard stories of it not going well, often for the other players at the table.
The key to it going well is how well she acknowledges it is just a game and actions in game shouldn't be taken personally out of game, particularly given my next point. If you are the GM, you cannot show even an appearance of favoritism, because other players will pick at that. If playing, try to avoid being a single power block, be your own characters. Which is not to same your character shouldn't be involved with each other, one couple I know is particularly proud of their extended sessions after the rest of us leave. The man is living the dream.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

If she has the time and desire to, there would be no reason she should not. I would like it if my wife would game with my group, but unfortunatly, someone has to watch the kids (7, 2 and 3 months) while my group plays.
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

strtkwr wrote:If she has the time and desire to, there would be no reason she should not. I would like it if my wife would game with my group, but unfortunatly, someone has to watch the kids (7, 2 and 3 months) while my group plays.

I'm in the same boat. My wife is a stay at home mom and watches the kid (no second or third yet). I tried to get her into the gaming scene. However, it just wasn't her thing. Frankly, she was amazed I knew all the stuff I was teaching her from memory!

Anyway, I agree with the others. So long as the difference between real-life and in-game is established, and schedules allow, game on!
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

I know it is her choice I did this to make her laugh and to have a little fun with her thinking about it :)
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Yes, so long as there's no favouritism.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Are you looking for reasons not to let her into your game?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Emperor Ryu wrote:I was just wondering, . . . if she does accept and starts playing again, . . . which book do you think she will start in?

She has a mystic knight from the order of the white rose and a Burster she loves both
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Vrykolas2k wrote:Yes, so long as there's no favoritism.

I have killed two of here characters so favoritism is not an issue :P
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Jorel wrote:Are you looking for reasons not to let her into your game?

no she was a good addition to the previous groups
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Well as long as you both know what you're getting into, I see no problem...
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

I'd say go for it. Not knowing your PC group dynamics (Coalition, Mixed Human/DB, Evil Baby Killers, Greedy Money Grubbers, or something else), I would say that you ask her what kind of Character she would like to really play. As long as she isn't going to step on somebody else's "Schtick" (ie: She wants to play a Glitterboy, but you already have a Glitterboy, or she wants to play a "Dark Elf" Ley Line Walker, but you already have an "Dark Elf" Ley Line Walker...) and you are comfortable with what she want's to play, then have some fun.

I'm not sure if your Player's post here, so I'll PM you with a few idea's.

Can't let those nasty PC's know your plans...nasty PC's...they stole my prescious...yes they did...myyyyy pressssccccioussss!!!

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
Nadrakas
Explorer

I'm glad that My Wife games. If she didn't, I don't know what I would do.

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Every instance I've experienced with couples at the table has been negative. If it's not favoritism, it's drama of some kind.

Also, killing characters has nothing to do with whether you favor her or not.

My personal opinion is 'No.' But you should at least 'try her out' like you would any 'new' player, and see if she meshes with the group well.

Another thing to keep in-mind, as this happens and has happened a lot on the tables I game at; you may not be the one who is favoring her. I've played one particular long-running game where (at the time) it truly was a group-effort. Then the GM's girlfriend joined. He did not show her favoritism (which actually cheesed her off), but as it so happens, all of a sudden there was no more 'group'. It became factions of people willing to put up with her drama, people person who weren't, and people who tried to stay neutral.

In-effect, she got what she wanted, and the group as a whole suffered, even though the GM himself did not show her any favoritism.

Just something to think about.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Nadrakas
Explorer

Dog_O_War wrote:Every instance I've experienced with couples at the table has been negative. If it's not favoritism, it's drama of some kind.

Also, killing characters has nothing to do with whether you favor her or not.

My personal opinion is 'No.' But you should at least 'try her out' like you would any 'new' player, and see if she meshes with the group well.

Another thing to keep in-mind, as this happens and has happened a lot on the tables I game at; you may not be the one who is favoring her. I've played one particular long-running game where (at the time) it truly was a group-effort. Then the GM's girlfriend joined. He did not show her favoritism (which actually cheesed her off), but as it so happens, all of a sudden there was no more 'group'. It became factions of people willing to put up with her drama, people person who weren't, and people who tried to stay neutral.

In-effect, she got what she wanted, and the group as a whole suffered, even though the GM himself did not show her any favoritism.

Just something to think about.

In one of our old gaming groups (Old because we were stationed overseas...not for any other reason), some of the above happened to my Wife in the third and fourth gaming sessions I ran. My wife and I discussed it, and we talked it over with the group at the next session. The guys (3 Guys: 2 Marines/1 AF, 1 Lady + My Wife) said they hadn't realized they were doing it. The other lady mentioned that she had some "favoritism" happen sometimes to (It had happened in other games she played with the Guys). After that there was no more favoritism from anybody, for anybody.

My Wife and I have been gaming together since 1999, and this was the only time anyone tried to show her favoritism in a Game...and definitely the last. Heck, the first time one of her Characters died in one of my games was 1-month after I met her...I was sweeting bullets, but she shrugged, put the character in a "Dead" folder and proceeded to make a new character. She's cool like that. Of course she tied me up later and used whips and chains...ooops...never mind that... :o

I know it's hard, but sometimes a frank discussion has to be had -- no matter the topic (Favoritism, Cheating, etc). No yelling, no name calling, just and upfront and honest discussion. I didn't know that when I was way younger in the Dark Ages of Gaming (The '70's & early '80's). I had to learn it the hard way.

~ N

Nadrakas
Explorer

Emperor Ryu wrote:Role playing + Cosplaying + Married Couples + Rifts RPG = A Fun Filled Family Time Of Sorts. :ok:

:o

Nadrakas
Explorer

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Nadrakas wrote: :o

No need to feel embarrassed. I should feel embarrassed, because I'm still single.

Don't feel embarrassed about being single - I was for a loooong time. I held out until I found a beautiful woman who was a gamer! She just swept me off of my feet when during a Supers Game she yelled (out of the Blue) during the middle of a battle "SPOON!" (She'd actually swept me off my feet before that...but it was awesome...)

~ N

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Happily married to a hot smart gamer. Most fun games I've played in recently, were with her. She can do anything and everything, and does it well. I don't think I could be any luckier, as I have just about everything I want out of life right now. Maybe more time so we could game together more often, but nobody is going to add more hours to the day, so I'm content.

"The Devil's among us!
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Nadrakas wrote:Don't feel embarrassed about being single - I was for a loooong time. I held out until I found a beautiful woman who was a gamer! She just swept me off of my feet when during a Supers Game she yelled (out of the Blue) during the middle of a battle "SPOON!" (She'd actually swept me off my feet before that...but it was awesome...)

I'm glad that you and everybody else has someone to be with, for the rest of your lives. An RPG that can bring people together, that's a good thing. :ok: I certainly hope that drakinn's wife starts playing again, because I like to believe it will make them come even closer to each other than before. :)

Thanks Ryu I would have to agree and besides I could use another group member :D
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Nadrakas
Explorer

drakinn wrote:
Emperor Ryu wrote:
Nadrakas wrote:Don't feel embarrassed about being single - I was for a loooong time. I held out until I found a beautiful woman who was a gamer! She just swept me off of my feet when during a Supers Game she yelled (out of the Blue) during the middle of a battle "SPOON!" (She'd actually swept me off my feet before that...but it was awesome...)

I'm glad that you and everybody else has someone to be with, for the rest of your lives. An RPG that can bring people together, that's a good thing. :ok: I certainly hope that drakinn's wife starts playing again, because I like to believe it will make them come even closer to each other than before. :)

Thanks Ryu I would have to agree and besides I could use another group member :D

B..b..b..but, then she'll be a naassty PC...and she'll want to know your planssss. Yessssss....Naassty PC'ssss...they ssssstole my planssss...my preciousssss...my preciousssss plansssss...they did....my PRECIOUSSSSSSS!!!!

~ N

"Crazy by Choice, not by M.O.M."

(Though my children do try hard to drive me "Over the Edge" sometimes...)

Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

drakinn wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:Yes, so long as there's no favoritism.

I have killed two of here characters so favoritism is not an issue :P

You might want to be mindful of not hitting her extra hard to prove that you are not favouring her. it will be a balancing act.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I would say it depends on whether you go round your mates house to role play evey Friday night or youre actually having a secret affair with another woman.

If the latter than I say no, dont let her in....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
drakinn wrote:Thanks Ryu I would have to agree and besides I could use another group member :D

When your wife does come back to play again, might I suggest having a nice hidden area somewhere in the house, to stash your GM materials, as to avoid any cheating from her, . . . unless, . . . there's something more methodical the two of you are going to be doing to the rest of the group. :D

Dude that Sh!t ain't funny
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Even if she does have that knowledge, she still has to go by what her player knows. It is, after all, called role playing. And having all the knowledge in the world won't help with dice rolls, and with changes to the story due to player improv.

strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:You are still implying she will take advantage of her husband to get metaknowledge.

I'm actually trying to promote fair play here.

Shinitenshi wrote:So does that mean that if the other members of the group own the same book he's making the campaign from then they are not allowed to read it as well? I can sit here and look at everything my husband writes down for a campaign and still not know what is going to happen. I don't have psionics, I can't read the other players minds and know what they are going to do. How am I to know that the GM isn't going to change things up based on what all the characters do. If we go by what you are saying then a GM should never run a game out of a book that any other player at the table has because then said player would have an advantage.

Again, it was just a suggestion. I do not know how intelligent his wife is, and how well she understands him during game play.

strtkwr wrote:Even if she does have that knowledge, she still has to go by what her player knows. It is, after all, called role playing. And having all the knowledge in the world won't help with dice rolls, and with changes to the story due to player improv.

But the role playing is influenced on the knowledge learned though, and can make the proper means to get there quicker, in comparison to a player that does not know. Is it not wise to exploit a weakness through the use of critical information? This is one of many reasons why me and my group stopped playing, because it became just too predictable.

I have to disagree here. All of us who have read the books have knowledge that our characters don't have. So in this regards, all role players have this problem. A good role player can overcome this by saying " Does my character know this?". A good GM will tell the player that their character does not know this, and not allow the action based on that information. We do this in my group.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

drakinn wrote:should my wife game with us
She used to roleplay and was good at it then school and life came along. she is out of school now and i need some good reasons for her to join the group again so could you help me out :)

While it might be good socializing time for the both of you. the both of you need some "away form the other" time.

Agrees with Ryu that she has to decide for herself if she wants to or not.

My advice is to invite her occasionally to let her know she is welcome, but don't push it too hard.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Emperor Ryu wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:I like to think of myself as a smart person and as a player I can second guess the GM on lots of things, but then that kind of takes the fun out of the game. I have a ton of Meta-knowledge but if I used it while I was role-playing, I wouldn't really be role-playing would I? I mean if we went by what you say then I would never be able to play in a game with anyone since I've read pretty much every book for Rifts, every book for Nightbane, everything for BtS and the majority of Palladium Fantasy.

If a player can keep to the character, that's fine. No problem with that. Though, by my and my group's experiences, we found out just how influential by having that sort of knowledge can be, and then have a player just claim, "I took a guess that got the right answer", when actuality, it wasn't.

strtkwr wrote:I have to disagree here. All of us who have read the books have knowledge that our characters don't have. So in this regards, all role players have this problem. A good role player can overcome this by saying " Does my character know this?". A good GM will tell the player that their character does not know this, and not allow the action based on that information. We do this in my group.

True, a good GM would constantly inform the players what information the characters they represent knows and is aware of, though it does not prevent the player from creating viable reasons to know and express the knowledge. Veterans like us, would know what to look out for, and place the GM to move the stakes higher and much sooner.

So if I understand you right you have wouldn't play in a game where someone has read the same book as the GM?

So how is a person who has read all the books ever going to get the chance to game? How about conventions most games have a mix of new players and experienced players where some have read the same book as the GM and some have not. Should the people that have read the same book as the GM be excluded from the game?

I am not trying to be difficult, I am just trying to understand this POV. Like I said above going by what you are saying then I should just quit role playing since I shouldn't be playing if I've read all the same books as the GM.

And would this mean that anyone who has GM'ed will not ever be able to play in a game again, since they have most likley have read the books?

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't like how we're all being judged based on his bad roleplaying experience, when he has shown he has a problem reading and understanding even clear basic concepts like the word and, or what seems to be his misuse of most of the English language. I found his language about the possibility of her cheating offensive and disrespectful to the OP and the rest of humanity.

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

DEPENDS:
PRO-From all you have said you Seem to trust her so as to Not muck up the game.
PRO-If she wants in then, like anyother gamer, unless she'd give you a reason Not to, then yes.
PRO-I was GONNA say that you Might get more nooky from her if you slipped her better EP... But that never worked with me, so...
PRO-Your wife shouldn't be kept holding the kids while You go of to play in a game that She'd like to be in. that breeds contempt in a relationship (which is a CON).

CON-You're actually asking this question in the first place, which shows doubt! Which also shows 'reason' for that doubt. You should listen to doubts as, they need to be adressed and delt with First, or they tend to eat away at a game.
CON-A Hundred games run and NEVER has a female gamer NOT ended up ruining the crud outta my games. If i had a choice, it'd be that we genders could all just get along, but no matter How good of an ST/GM/DM I may be, female players SUCK AT RPing (Big time).
They tend to be;
♦Attention hogs.
♦Timid to the point of distracting the game.
♦More interested in flirtting with other Players (or in my case, the GM) to the point of disrupting the game.
♦Mellow dramatic in the extream. Always needs to write 20 pagaes of back story for every little thing her PC does and doesn't do.
♦Most interested in keeping an eye on their Other (Boy friend, Hubby, etc) to the point of disrupting a game by Constantly trying to get her boy toys attention back on her self. Will even attempt to Keep her boy toy away from said games, since they Don't revolve around her.
♦TOO obsessive about some unimportant aspect of the game (Like needlessly needing to own Some kind of dumb animal/pet or always going shopping) to the exlcusion of the game!
♦Not knowing or caring of what is going on to the point of dragging the game down. Just in the game to be "One of the guys" or because "She grew up in that life style, but her Real girl genes would Rather be doing else-wise, else-where"!
-OR-
♦They are Ultra-Violent Combat monkeys with-out any modum of self control, out to use the Biggest BMG-relfex canon on Every squirrel sized target!

Most male players only ever want female players in the group so as to have either EYE candy to stare their hormonely driven minds towards (Hoping for a date that seldom comes), or they wish to show the world that "See, we're Not geeks who never get a date, see there, that's a girl, yeah we'z RPGers get girls as well" (needing to Prove something to the jocks in school), OR more often it is in some idiotic need to be/feel like they are PC (Politically Correct) and showing the world how "accepting and open minded we are"... Either can be damaging to a game.

I only ever had girls in the game because the male RP demographic was not a true rep of the over all population of the world and thus, "Maybe", I thought, having fmales inthe group would add lonical balence to the game... After all, there are Plenty of mortal heroic human women in the world, so the fake RP world would realistically have them as well. For the game to be logically balanced and realistic, we needed Real world female players to play those female PC rolls...
I have found that girls tend to SUCK hard core at roll playing (No acting skills What, so, ever). Many are smart as, or smarter than the boys but, dumb as rocks when it comes to the actual acting or, they don't care one bit about the game (secretly they think RPG's are childish and can't understand why boys play them, yet to get what-Ever it is they want they'll "Muscle through the game" and end up being patronizing in the process). Needlessly Melodramatic real life activities are more they're thing.

All that said, it seems that you have lucked out and found one of the ONLY GIRL RPers IN THE WORLD THAT ACTUALLY LIKES THE GAME...
For that you should let her play!
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Shinitenshi wrote:All that said, it seems that you have lucked out and found one of the ONLY GIRL RPers IN THE WORLD THAT ACTUALLY LIKES THE GAME...

Really I'm a female gamer and I know several other ones on these boards as well as in other places. This is kind of offensive to use female role players. Just because your wife doesn't like to game and won't let you game does not mean there aren't females out there that like to RP and are actually good at it!

I read how you guys jumped down Emperor Ryu's throat after twisting his Small suggestion about Hiding his GM matterial, and how you guys proceeded to Strawman Emp-Ryu's every little intent in that comment...

Don't even THINK of pulling that s##t with me kiddo!
What I said stands. Right now in my Aberrant game I'm playing I have one of the Brightest Rpers i have EVER SEEN! She is my brotherlaws wife and she tends to beat everyone else out for intellect. In fact, without hers and my Own wifes suggestions) i doubt there'd even be a game. that said they Both have turned right around (just like every single female that has ever been in a game of mine) and have both tried their darndest to undermine the same game.

If you're a great female RPer then super for you but, DON'T EVEN assume to get up in my grill about it.
Good for you, great for you. Super mounds of awesome for you. I just spoke of the games I've run, been in, and been made knowledged about. No female players to date have done any differant.
if you're differant then that's great. you'r on the forefront of better.
But i ain't Emperor Ryu and I don't take trash talk. I'll dish it back at you, then ten time over if that is where you wanna go.
You wanna a peaceful chat, then fine... If not than keep it up.

Warning: User Warned

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:

DEPENDS:
PRO-If she wants in then, like anyother gamer, unless she'd give you a reason Not to, then yes.
PRO-I was GONNA say that you Might get more nooky from her if you slipped her better EP... But that never worked with me, so...
PRO-Your wife shouldn't be kept holding the kids while You go of to play in a game that She'd like to be in. that breeds contempt in a relationship (which is a CON).

CON-You're actually asking this question in the first place, which shows doubt! Which also shows 'reason' for that doubt. You should listen to doubts as, they need to be adressed and delt with First, or they tend to eat away at a game.
CON-A Hundred games run and NEVER has a female gamer NOT ended up ruining the crud outta my games. If i had a choice, it'd be that we genders could all just get along, but no matter How good of an ST/GM/DM I may be, female players SUCK AT RPing (Big time).
They tend to be;
♦Attention hogs.
♦More interested in flirtting with other Players (or in my case, the GM) to the point of disrupting the game.
♦Mellow dramatic in the extream. Always needs to write 20 pagaes of back story for every little thing her PC does and doesn't do.
♦Most interested in keeping an eye on their Other (Boy friend, Hubby, etc) to the point of disrupting a game by Constantly trying to get her boy toys attention back on her self. Will even attempt to Keep her boy toy away from said games, since they Don't revolve around her.
♦TOO obsessive about some unimportant aspect of the game (Like needlessly needing to own Some kind of dumb animal/pet or always going shopping) to the exlcusion of the game!
♦Not knowing or caring of what is going on to the point of dragging the game down. Just in the game to be "One of the guys" or because "She grew up in that life style, but her Real girl genes would Rather be doing else-wise, else-where"!
-OR-
♦They are Ultra-Violent Combat monkeys with-out any modum of self control, out to use the Biggest BMG-relfex canon on Every squirrel sized target!

Most male players only ever want female players in the group so as to have either EYE candy to stare their hormonely driven minds towards (Hoping for a date that seldom comes), or they wish to show the world that "See, we're Not geeks who never get a date, see there, that's a girl, yeah we'z RPGers get girls as well" (needing to Prove something to the jocks in school), OR more often it is in some idiotic need to be/feel like they are PC (Politically Correct) and showing the world how "accepting and open minded we are"... Either can be damaging to a game.

I only ever had girls in the game because the male RP demographic was not a true rep of the over all population of the world and thus, "Maybe", I thought, having fmales inthe group would add lonical balence to the game... After all, there are Plenty of mortal heroic human women in the world, so the fake RP world would realistically have them as well. For the game to be logically balanced and realistic, we needed Real world female players to play those female PC rolls...
I have found that girls tend to SUCK hard core at roll playing (No acting skills What, so, ever). Many are smart as, or smarter than the boys but, dumb as rocks when it comes to the actual acting or, they don't care one bit about the game (secretly they think RPG's are childish and can't understand why boys play them, yet to get what-Ever it is they want they'll "Muscle through the game" and end up being patronizing in the process). Needlessly Melodramatic real life activities are more they're thing.

All that said, it seems that you have lucked out and found one of the ONLY GIRL RPers IN THE WORLD THAT ACTUALLY LIKES THE GAME...

Really I'm a female gamer and I know several other ones on these boards as well as in other places. This is kind of offensive to us female role players. Just because your wife doesn't like to game and won't let you game does not mean there aren't females out there that like to RP and are actually good at it!

I also think his statement was rather offensive and one sided. All people are frakked. Not just women or men. Don't jugde one side wholly as there are thousands if not millions of examples to prove steeler wrong. What he says is offensive to the highest degree. My wife has often had more to add in game than I have, when we've played together, and I've been playing since Rifts came out.

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero

Jorel wrote:I also think his statement was rather offensive and one sided. All people are frakked. Not just women or men. Don't jugde one side wholly as there are thousands if not millions of examples to prove steeler wrong. What he says is offensive to the highest degree. My wife has often had more to add in game than I have, when we've played together, and I've been playing since Rifts came out.
Good for you yah politically correct suck up, but what I said by default CAN'T BE WRONG, since it is nothing more than a statement of absolute fact. Those event (and many more) happened. And although you try, by livin in your dream world, to deny it, you can't counter what I said as "Untrue", you were never there in those games that I speak of, so YOU are off to state otherwise.

And FYI Jorel, you take on Other peoples offenses Way too often, like some religious 9or anti-religious) zealot. the girls can defend themselves and Don't need your help to do it...
That Is unless you think girls need your Big, Strong, Manly Hands to carry them...
Do you really believe that J-man?
Now THAT is sexist!
For shame Jorel...
For shame. :(

Steeler49er
Hero

I ALSO love how you try and demean the comments of others who don't tow your party line by refering to them as though they're not there and not therefore real people.
I think I saw a sicko-serial killer do that tick in Silence of the Lambs!

"It puts the lotion in the Basket!"

You So Crazy J-man :P

Steeler49er
Hero

Ninjabunny wrote:Way to be a throwback, You just insulted every female gamer because you never meet one, good for you. I meet and played with TONS of females that played normal hell most played better then the men! Your experience does not equal THE norm for other gamers. I don't give a crap about your experience to say all women suck at gaming is a poor call and just rude. Don't want a female to tell you that line is BULL then don't say it.
CORRECTION Ninja-B...
I insulted only the ones that I DID meet...
Something you just reconfirmed when you siad "Based on my experiances".
You're reading things that aren't there.
That's called a Strawman post.

Try again. :angel:

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Don't need to defend any women, they make my life hell. However, you're judging many, based on the actions of a few. At least from my perspective, that is offensive.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

What a jerk.

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero

Shinitenshi wrote:Is there a reason you are getting so hostile?

So female gamers are like that in your games, that's your games and your opinion, this does not mean that all female gamers are like that.
In my games Yes (said so as well) and I make no bones about that statement. My games with females have sucked, could be that women in WA find most RPG's lame, so lame as to not wanna be there. Maybe boys [boy rpg players-though I shouldn't need to say, now should I?] are just big geeky kids who've not grown up and that irritates they're girl friends.
Or maybe.
Or maybe..
Or Maybe...

Dioesn't change that fact I stated. Cons, Game shops, my on table... When outta hundreds of games with girls will i come across a female that has your skills Shin? Who knows but, have you ever considered that YOU are an exception to the rule?

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Moral of the story...if you can't play nice, don't play. Wife, friend, man, woman, stranger. You people who are making these generalizations about a gender are very worrisome to me. Should you really be saying..."Can you trust your wife? Or will she cheat on you?" That is kind of a very offensive implication to some.

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero

Jorel wrote:Don't need to defend any women, they make my life hell. However, you're judging many, based on the actions of a few. At least from my perspective, that is offensive.

Wow... sorry man.
I don't have that kinda problem with girls. I just see girls as "boys that AREN'T ugly and who have differant likes than I"...
As you stated, "At least from my perspective" and I can never argue with anothers opinion so, if that is how you feel then, that's a fact that it's how you feel.

I'm sure by now some of you may have gone back and re-read what I wrote. Sexist as it may be, boys can't have babies, can't multi-task fer s##t, can't cope with internal pain fer s##t, and have some of the Worst histories of violence... Women don't. If that is the case and women have NO faults then, that would imply women are superior to males in every way.

You guys would contest that men and women are equal... But you'd also state the above is true. So which is it kids. You CAN have your cake and eat it (be kinda stupid to buy a chocolate cake and Not eat it) BUT, you can't call us equal, then call women superior... That you Can't do.

So, if we're equal but not, then state the truth. If boys and girls are equal, then explain all of those faults of boys [held in aces and spades] that women just don't have any where near that level in.
Or MAYBE girls (on average) tend to Not be good at somethings guys are good at and visa-versa for boys. And Maybe, just maybe Shin, Nekira, Griphonchick, and Farie all break that rule and THAT is why They post here.
Guys have Their cups of tea, so do girls. Gaming is Shinitenshi's/griphons/Nekira's cup of tea and Not the cup of tea of Most women.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

No comment, dig away...

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero

Jorel wrote:Moral of the story...if you can't play nice, don't play. Wife, friend, man, woman, stranger. You people who are making these generalizations about a gender are very worrisome to me. Should you really be saying..."Can you trust your wife? Or will she cheat on you?" That is kind of a very offensive implication to some.

Did he imply it for Just wives, or for anyone. i read his Very short post that started this all off and, he ment it for ANYONE you share a flat with. He even said so in the next posts of his and Everyone was sooo offended about what he said that, no-one noticed that. And he's right BTW. You Should keep any and all Outta-Game, for GM eyes info Hush hush from any and all players.
be they wife, bunk-mates, flat-mates, friends, or your dog Snookums.
Sorry but that's just common knowledge AND common sense. Emp-Ryu only retaliated once eveyone jumped down his throat for a perceeved slight...

NOW WHAT I SAID ON THE OTHER HAND can outright be taken as sexist...
So feel free to leave the innocent kid alone and go after me all you want.
Shinitenshi wrote:The problem I had with your post was where you stated that the OP had found the only girl in the world that liked gaming. Tell me in all the games you have played have you never had a bad male player?
AWESOME and glad you asked... Cuz BOY do i have some stories about bad, Bad, BAD male players for you...
I'm gonna start typing that Right up, but on MY computer as I'm on my wifes computer and, if I don't give it back to her...
My wife is going to KILL ME! :shock:

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

My wife is gonna...do all the opposite of those things, like make my life immensely better, while continuing to make sure I live in some for of hell.

"The Devil's among us!
Steeler49er
Hero

Back... And On my own computer. My wife has a cool laptop that, i must admit is shway cool.
Now, as to Bad and worst players (as oppossed to girls who tend to just not 'get into games), THAT distinction goes to males.
Cuz when a male player sucks, THEY SUCK!

Not naming names but, when I was asked to run a game for a friend of ours who was ging away (forget where he was moving to) he'd asked me to run a going away game for him. 3 girls 6 guys (it's just never balanced :( ) and one of those players is going away. Game started oout with the players Already being forced to know eachother, which the Male players all hated since they All wanted to be loners (big suprise), but i didn't have the Time or the Tolerance to go through that ever repeating "James Dean" non-sense of the loner male populace.
So i forced them together and forced them to like it.
Every one of the males takes their A-Typical cliche' for a character (hows about some creativity I was about to say, then i remebered, "hey, i'm a guy, riiiigggghhhhttt... I do that too")... Heck girls do that as well, I just figured it was the RPG community in general... Up untill the player whom this was all about decided that he wanted to play "An Apok, from wormwood, who's still got all of his powers and who is ALSO a Jedi"
COUGH!!!
I mean a cyberknight.

Now this was off the beaten path but, it WAS his last game with us so I figured, "why not".
Not like it was a too cliche' thing to do... Munchkin for sure but not cliche'.
THEN he descrbed his characters Apok Mask as, "Having Blackish skin with no hair, Red markings, and a crown of short horn/spikes"... He ALSO had a Psi-sword enhancer from South America... That was Double sided. His Psi-sword was Red and came out of each end. Oh yeah and, he wore all black with a black-trench!

Yeah...

Now, this was Bad but, it wasn't BAD... At least not yet. It was his last game with us and I figured "stupid" and "Okay", with a sigh!
As the game went it Rocked. The players were all happy, the game was fluid, even if heavy-handed and verging on munch, but by the SECOND GAME (Yeah, the one shot game goes into game two), that happy player that was leaving, was not happy anymore. Turns out his leaving was just to get attention.
And so once it became obvious that he was staying to play, the rest of us were starting to wonder, "What was next?".
Sure enough, he started to loose it and tryed to get himself killed with-in the first 20 min of the game. He started sulking, then repeating, "Let's just Ninja kick the dragon!". This was funny at first since killing a (very Evil) dragon was the premise of the game and it was taking forever to get to him.
Soon the joke of his frustration was now being written on his left forearm in alternating colors and patterns. Artsy as it was, he started mubling that chant, "Ninja Kick the Dragon", Over and over, and Over again. Soon he was moping and whining about how bad his lot in life and game was. "I'm just gonna die anyways" and "Just kill me" And "my characters too weak" and "I hate my character", all kept coming outta his mouth. Me not wanting to kill a PC w/o logical reason, the player tried to give me a reason by jumping on a stolen CS sky-cycle and pointlessly flying off towards some CS soliders, who were 10 miles out and had NO CLUE that the PC group even existed, nor that they were a threat at all.

The Player flew right towards them saying, "They're just gonna figure out that we're here and come after us anyways. We're all gonna die so, why not". We'll there was NO WAY those CS boys stood a chance against the Awesome munchkin power levels and skills of the Players PC but, that Didn't stop the player from trying to get killed by shooting at them the second he came in range. Soon it was a needless ariel dog-fight and, due to his character being So, dang, munchkin, he was winning by default!
So not getting his way of 'self-destructive-masochism', when a small missle explodes off to his port and 80ft away from him, he blurts out "Oh! look at that! You knocked me off my bike and now I'm falling. There great, now I'm gonna die! You finally happy?".
I tryed to tell him that his PC was, "fine and would survive the fall as an MD being. More over I never said that he got knocked off the Sky-Cycle... You said that. He's got SN PS and should have been able to stay on with a good roll". That just further upset his nihilistic narcissist nature and he got up and started ranting some more!
Then he sat down and started chanting under his breath, like some nut in a nut-house, "I'm gonna ninja kick the Dragon!" over and over again.

This went on for one, more, game, untill I just kicked him out... "His reply was, "You're kicking me out of MY game?"...
Was that the end of it? Nope, cuz I STILL HAD THREE MORE CRAZY MALE PLAYERS to go through.
Their stories were not as pathetic but, nearly as bad.
In time many wars and feuds, did they fight. Honor and fear were heaped upon their names and, in time, one of them became a king by his own hand...

But that is a story for another time!

Steeler49er
Hero

Jorel wrote:My wife is gonna...do all the opposite of those things, like make my life immensely better, while continuing to make sure I live in some for of hell.
ROFLMAO
Now that is a Quote for the ages! :lol:

drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Steeler49er wrote:
Jorel wrote:My wife is gonna...do all the opposite of those things, like make my life immensely better, while continuing to make sure I live in some for of hell.
ROFLMAO
Now that is a Quote for the ages! :lol:

My wife loves this quote
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Steeler49er wrote:

DEPENDS:

They tend to be;
♦Attention hogs.
-OR-

read my original post I have no doubt it was more of a fun post that I did to show her what others would say. This I hoped would encourage her to join again now that she has time. To add by the way I have had 8 females I have GMed for in my almost 20 years and only had one that wasnt good so the percents are in the females corners because the number of brainless hack and slash male games has been in the teens. maybe the problem is your style of GMing and you have some areas in fault. As a GM I always try to reflect on how I can make their game better. It isn't "my game" I am just the GM
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Nadrakas
Explorer

drakinn wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:

DEPENDS:

They tend to be;
♦Attention hogs.
-OR-

read my original post I have no doubt it was more of a fun post that I did to show her what others would say. This I hoped would encourage her to join again now that she has time. To add by the way I have had 8 females I have GMed for in my almost 20 years and only had one that wasnt good so the percents are in the females corners because the number of brainless hack and slash male games has been in the teens. maybe the problem is your style of GMing and you have some areas in fault. As a GM I always try to reflect on how I can make their game better. It isn't "my game" I am just the GM

Drakinn,

Thank you for the breath of sanity.

The Gender doesn't matter. I've had Players, Male & Female, that tried to "torpedo" the game with their antics. Either way, I've set down with them, often with the rest of the gaming group, and had a talk with them in an effort to put a nix to the disruptiveness. It has worked more often than not -- not immediately, but with everyone working together as a Group and as Friends, a better gaming experience resulted most of the time. In the 2 times it didn't work, where the individuals didn't want to calm their disruptive behavior, they were asked to leave by the Group. Not me. The Group. As Drakinn said, it's not "my game"...to that I add, it's everyone's game who "sits around the table" (or on the floor, the sofa, love seat, etc.). If one person is not enjoying the Game, then nobody is enjoying it.

Thank you

~ N

Return to “Rifts®”