Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures

yes
55%
no
45%

Total votes: 20

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures/creatures of magic?
One the one hand they have SN strenghth and feed off ambient ppe instead of consuming food
on the other hand they have low ppe and the fluff seems to indicate they can live on rifts earth unnoticed
vote and state your reasoning please
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures?

Unread post by Jorel »

Unless clearly stated otherwise, no.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Reading the fluff text And description And all other descriptions of them every where else, leads one to say that they are SN
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Ninjabunny wrote:No, they are perfect doubles in everyway and no discription given states they are supernatural creatures or creatures of magic. The fluff also leads one to believe they are not either.

where does there SN strenghth derive from or the fact they don't need to eat or drink
if they are perfect doubles
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They are perfect doubles in apperance.

They go unnoticed on Nightbane earth for the same reason Hounds do: There are far fewer people able to detect them.

Put Psi-stalkers and dog boys into mass numbers in nightbane: they couldn't keep secret for long.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Ninjabunny wrote:By your logic a psi-stalker is a supernatural creature because it feeds on ppe.
A Psi-Stalker ALSO needs to eat at least some food, albeit a greatly reduced amount compared to Mortals; a Doppelganger does not.

To add to this the doppleganger unlike SN creatures do not become mage-damage and are not immune to any MD attacks. The stats clear state they are identical in all ways except for SN strength.
Not quite.

They manifest spontaneously, according to their write-up. That alone strongly points to a supernatural point of origin.

Their immunity to being turned into a Vampire is another.

Can you name a Supernatural creature that is not MD or immune to most MD attacks (vampires and were-creatures fall into the immune category) ?
The Ritual Spell Zombie, for one (which can be damaged but not destroyed by mundane weapons). Maxpary Zombies, for another. Zavor for a third group.
I can vaguely recall but not name others at the moment, probably mostly in some of Kevin's early Books.

Any single one of their powers and abilities would classify a Doppelganger, IMO, as a being that is at least as quasi-supernatural as a True Atlantean or a Brodkil.
The entirety of their powers and abilities, as well as the means by which they come into existence, seems to me to point to the Doppelganger being a Supernatural Creature.

Low on the Supernatural Creature "totem pole," to be sure, but supernatural nevertheless.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I vote yes.

IMHO, it isn't a creature's gamebook stats that decide whether a creature is supernatural or not. It's the true nature of what it is, where it comes from, and what is its purpose .

Now, I don't have any related books with me, but IIRC:
What is it? A doppelganger is a creature that is an exact duplicate of a human being living on Earth that forms spontaneously in another dimension.

Where is it from? Place of origin is an alternate dimension known as the Nightlands, which is populated with several species of native supernatural creatures, and home to god-like beings known as Nightlords.

What does it do? Doppelgangers commonly kill the person they double in order to take over that person's life. In doing so, they serve to weaken the barriers between the Nightlands and another dimension so that their Nightlord Masters can breach dimensional barriers in order to conquer new worlds.

So yeah, they sounds like supernatural creatures to me. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Ninjabunny wrote:The Maxpary on Rifts Earth becomes MDC, The Zavor has immunity to most mdc and sdc weapons (which falls into the they have immunity to some forms of attacks) The ritual spell Zombie creates a creature that is immune to most mdc, physical attacks and it is stated as not a living supernatural being. Each example on Rifts earth becomes MDC or has a list of immunities to some attacks.
the Doppelganger is HP/SDC with no immunities or anything else to the matter, all Supernatural creatures become either mdc or have a list of immunities.
And without scouring my Books to find Supernatural/Creature of Magic exceptions to the "rule," I have but one question to ask:

What kind of non-supernatural creature manifests out of literally nothing, as the Doppelgangers do?

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Oh, I answered thinking you were talking about the magic spell, not the ones from NB.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The RCC
They are SN beings.
(why?) The text say they are.

The spell
They are magic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'll start by saying they are clearly not Supernatural Beings. They're missing a few traits of supernatural beings, so that would rule that out. Even if it did say they were Supernatural Beings in Nightbane (though I can't find any reference saying that they are despite claims to the contrary, and I double checked Rifts Dark Conversion with no luck), Rifts: Ultimate Edition would overrule that, especially since this is the Rifts forum. As per R:UE (page 277), there are certain traits common to all Supernatural Beings, and Dopplegangers do not meet those traits.

With that said, the original question was if they are Supernatural Beings or Creatures of Magic. While in the past those terms were used interchangably, R:UE has since separated them and they are two different types of beings. From the evidence available, I'd say that Dopplegangers are likely Creatures of Magic.

1) Dragons are Creatures of Magic. Dragons don't really need to eat or drink and can live on ambient P.P.E. Dopplegangers do not need to eat or drink and can live on ambient P.P.E. This equation does not guarantee that a Doppleganger is a Creature of Magic, but it helps give support to the thought.

2) Vampires cannot turn Creatures of Magic. Dopplegangers cannot be turned by a Vampire. Again, this does not guarantee that Dopplegangers are Creatures of Magic, but it does help provide support to the theory.

3) Creatures of Magic have magic as part of their very essence. One of the theories behind Dopplegangers is that they are created from psychic energy. Note: Psychic energy is NOT the same as magic, though there are connections between P.P.E. (magic energy) and I.S.P. (psychic energy).

4) "Many creatures of magic also possess Supernatural Strength and can use their magic or innate magic abilities to turn invisible, heal, etc." Dopplegangers possess Supernatural Strength and can heal faster than mortal races.

5) Creatures of Magic are mortal, but tend to have longer life spans than humans. Dopplegangers are mortal and have longer life spans than humans.

6) Creatures of Magic think and feel like humans. Dopplegangers, once awakened, can fit in this category as well.

While none of these facts standing alone may prove it, when adding them together and looking at everything I think it lends strong support to the theory that Dopplegangers are Creatures of Magic. Since this is a Rifts thread, I tried to base most of my information from Rifts sources (primarily Rifts: Ultimate Edition). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'll start by saying they are clearly not Supernatural Beings. They're missing a few traits of supernatural beings, so that would rule that out. Even if it did say they were Supernatural Beings in Nightbane (though I can't find any reference saying that they are despite claims to the contrary, and I double checked Rifts Dark Conversion with no luck), Rifts: Ultimate Edition would overrule that, especially since this is the Rifts forum. As per R:UE (page 277), there are certain traits common to all Supernatural Beings, and Dopplegangers do not meet those traits.

With that said, the original question was if they are Supernatural Beings or Creatures of Magic. While in the past those terms were used interchangably, R:UE has since separated them and they are two different types of beings. From the evidence available, I'd say that Dopplegangers are likely Creatures of Magic.

1) Dragons are Creatures of Magic. Dragons don't really need to eat or drink and can live on ambient P.P.E. Dopplegangers do not need to eat or drink and can live on ambient P.P.E. This equation does not guarantee that a Doppleganger is a Creature of Magic, but it helps give support to the thought.

2) Vampires cannot turn Creatures of Magic. Dopplegangers cannot be turned by a Vampire. Again, this does not guarantee that Dopplegangers are Creatures of Magic, but it does help provide support to the theory.

3) Creatures of Magic have magic as part of their very essence. One of the theories behind Dopplegangers is that they are created from psychic energy. Note: Psychic energy is NOT the same as magic, though there are connections between P.P.E. (magic energy) and I.S.P. (psychic energy).

4) "Many creatures of magic also possess Supernatural Strength and can use their magic or innate magic abilities to turn invisible, heal, etc." Dopplegangers possess Supernatural Strength and can heal faster than mortal races.

5) Creatures of Magic are mortal, but tend to have longer life spans than humans. Dopplegangers are mortal and have longer life spans than humans.

6) Creatures of Magic think and feel like humans. Dopplegangers, once awakened, can fit in this category as well.

While none of these facts standing alone may prove it, when adding them together and looking at everything I think it lends strong support to the theory that Dopplegangers are Creatures of Magic. Since this is a Rifts thread, I tried to base most of my information from Rifts sources (primarily Rifts: Ultimate Edition). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Unfortunately, no Creature Of Magic materializes out of literally nowhere, as Doppelgangers do.

Creatures Of Magic, apart from their innate abilities, share some aspects of Biology -for example, they are born and reproduce naturally. Not so Doppelgangers.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Withdraws my earlier statement about the RCC being SN.
While there is the Header of Supernatural Attributes, the text immediately following the header is not about SN attributes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Prysus wrote:

I beg to differ. The original question asks if they're supernatural creatures. Not if they're that or creatures of magic. In fact, not event the poll question asks that, you have to get to the third question in the topic to get the "or are they creatures of magic?" part.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. First/original post of the thread ...

csbioborg wrote:Are dopplegangers supernatural creatures/creatures of magic?

I'll note that the question kind of blends them together. And while I can agree if someone said they were neither, they are definitely not Supernatural Beings (read the description on page 277 of R:UE and it's clear they don't meet the criteria). They are not immortal, and they do not reincarnate in their home dimension when killed anywhere else. So they're either creatures of magic or they are neither at all. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

cornholioprime wrote:Creatures Of Magic, apart from their innate abilities, share some aspects of Biology -for example, they are born and reproduce naturally. Not so Doppelgangers.

do they? didn't know faeries reproduce biologically.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Shark_Force wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Creatures Of Magic, apart from their innate abilities, share some aspects of Biology -for example, they are born and reproduce naturally. Not so Doppelgangers.

do they? didn't know faeries reproduce biologically.
Yep.

Or at least, they are implied to reproduce naturally (one example comes from the Land of the Damned in the Palladium World, where there is a Faerie Civil War brewing because the Faerie Queene there was written as 'having left no heirs behind,' and having no kin, when she was assassinated by one of her own Royal Guard).

Although the lines remain blurred between Creatures of Magic and True Supernaturals, one of the main differences between the one and the other is that Creatures of Magic still follow some if not most if not all of the requisites that regular mortal beings do in terms of biological requirements; True Supernatural creatures, with very, very rare exceptions (e.g., the Undead Murder Wraith, which can starve to death after a fashion), do not.

Return to “Rifts®”