How do you eat MDC critters?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: How do you eat MDC critters?

Unread post by taalismn »

cornholioprime wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
There's no logic, intelligence or reason to it, it's just written to be kewl.
:ok:

By all that's holy, folks, PLEASE stop trying to overthink a fictional book that doesn't even TRY to rise up to the level of Pseudo-Science.

I mean, I'm all for the occasional Fun Thread every now and again, but the attempts to try and reconcile 'Rifts Physics' with anything even remotely scientific or sensible, especially as regards this particular issue, are starting to make my head hurt.

SOME of the stuff in Rifts/Palladium is buttressed with Pseudo-Science; most of it is not.

Like this subject.

(P.S. For various reasons, the whole "let MDC Meat cure properly and it will turn into edible SDC Meat" explanation doesn't logically hold together, either.)

So, have your mesquite-broiled brontoburger and side order of purple potato fries, raise your flagon of iced Flower of Life tea, and enjoy the fantasy.

Here's to make-believe.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

I just figure as a GM that the inside meat isn't MDC.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

DKeith2011 wrote:It is possible that the critter is only MDC when alive. Like all living things, the critters lifeforce (PPE) drains away at death, without that PPE, and therefore its magic, it turns into just a pile of raw meat.

The existence of MDC leather and hides would indicate otherwise.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

frogboy wrote: So it is goofey and that is the point. adjust it and have fun.

No.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

There is no cannon answer to this question that I can find. All we can do is speculate and offer advice on how it would works at our various game tables.

all we have is several cannon facts.
#1: M.D.C. creatures remain M.D.C. structures after death, this is proven as M.D.C. leather and bones are made from such fallen creatures
#2: some M.D.C. creatures are hunted/raised for food by/for S.D.C. humans, this is mentioned in several books
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:
ICHIBAN11 wrote:Yes. And also can you pass the acid gravy? The Mega-Turkey's a bit dry.

Sure. Would like a cold one to go with that meal? It's on the house. :-D

Just don't shake the beer...it's bottled in MDC armor-glass and the cap welded and cold-hammered to the neck for a reason.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

ICHIBAN11 wrote:
Never mind I'll just have the salad. What's with the chainsaw?

"ROUGHAGE."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:(P.S. For various reasons, the whole "let MDC Meat cure properly and it will turn into edible SDC Meat" explanation doesn't logically hold together, either.)

Why?

Can you eat raw alligator hide? No. Could you eat it after cooking it? Yes.
When was the last time that you popped a piece of material hundreds of times stronger than most real-world Tanks into the microwave or smoked it or cured it or buried it like kimchee and it came out a hundred times weaker than it originally was?

Last time I checked, a cured or boiled or long-buried piece of SDC Armor Plating, or Turtle Shell, was still tough as hell; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the same goes for MDC meat/hides/bone.

The same hide could be buried to ferment to tenderize it. The same side could be processed to make armor that can stop arrows.
This has already been covered in previous posts; primitive societies use 'freshly-harvested' MDC hides and shells and bones without any special processing, and yet the decomposition process doesn't make these materials 'rot' into SDC structures.

Similar processes could be used for other animal hides regardless of the geographic location. Therefore it could be logically surmised that a process could be found for MDC creatures. If MDC predators hunt an eat MDC prey then they have to have a way of digesting the meat so that same process could be duplicated to allow SDC creatures to eat it.
Not that complicated; the simplest and most likely explanation is that MDC creatures have MDC internal digestive structures and digestive enzymes (MDC substances can still be slowly destroyed by a sufficiently strong acid) to eat the MDC prey that they catch.

That explanation would be a suitable one IF, that is, Kevin ever really gave a damn about the intricate and scientific 'whys' and 'hows' of the whole "SDC creatures consuming MDC flesh" thing works.

Which he doesn't.

Any more than he cares to explain in precise and realistic detail how his "magical 20-year Nuclear Batteries" or "Counter-Orbital Debris Field that always stays stable and covers the entire planet" or "Faster-than-light Drives that somehow don't violate the Laws of General Relativity" work.
Last edited by cornholioprime on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I have seen some movies or TV shows where, instead of hitting it on the bar, they hit it over the head of someone they are fighting.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I've always played that creatures that are mdc because of their magica nature don't hve mdc corpses becaue the magic disappates when the creature dies. We have dined on many a dragon in the Society of Sages.

As for the Orbital Defense shield I think its a stupid idea so my group simple says instead the atmosphere is covered with wait for it rifts that are constantly opening and closing
mechanically this mans you need to roll a 100 on a d100
or you get rifted some place
this admitedly hasn't been a big issue since we don't go to space
Last edited by csbioborg on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:I was wondering with so many MDC critters out there and pictures of people hunting them, how do you eat them?

Give it to us raw & wiggly. :fl:
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:After death a body releases chemicals that start the process of decomposition before bacterial decay starts. In MDC Creatures this first step in the cycle of decomposition is to reduce the M.D.C. Flesh to S.D.C. material that will allow the start of bacterial growth.

To eat a M.D.C. critter one must wait till the flesh has decayed to S.D.C. material and prepare it before the rampant growth of bacteria

I don't think that decaying meat would be very popular.

I don't know, I like Dry Aged Meat. It's a process that decays the meat and delivers a darn good flavor.

Our ancestors, and people in other parts of todays world, ate/eat things that would be considered gross and sickening nowadays. I would imagine that during the "new" Dark Ages that people learned to eat lots of different things - if it didn't kill them (either directly or by being ingested) then it probably was fair game.

Mmmmm...better living thru Chemical and Biological Reactions. Yummm.
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
taalismn
Priest

csbioborg wrote:I've always played that creatures that are mdc because of their magica nature don't hve mdc corpses becaue the magic disappates when the creature dies. We have dined on many a dragon in the Society of Sages.

As for the Orbital Defense shield I think its a stupid idea so my group simple says instead the atmosphere is covered with wait for it rifts that are constantly opening and closing

Likewise I've used a high atmosphere zone of dimensional instability that makes transiting to orbit VERY risky.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Nadrakas wrote:[
I don't know, I like Dry Aged Meat. It's a process that decays the meat and delivers a darn good flavor.

Our ancestors, and people in other parts of todays world, ate/eat things that would be considered gross and sickening nowadays. I would imagine that during the "new" Dark Ages that people learned to eat lots of different things - if it didn't kill them (either directly or by being ingested) then it probably was fair game.

When you think about it, cheese(especially the runnier gourmet varieties) are pretty disgusting too.
Then there's the Durien Fruit... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Ya know this and a pair of other threads
(specifically these twoMDC, why only armor?, A sword is a Sword... or is it?)
made me think about the nature of M.D.C.
What is M.D.C., exactly?
Answer is a conversion note, like kilogram, that identify 100 S.D.C. that has one hell of armor (A.R. beyond 20 judging how it does work) that can be damaged only by weapons and attacks that deliver at least 100 S.D./1 M.D. worht of damage in one single blow to one single location(well this is the only way to explain why 100 humans striking at same time with their fist won't do not even 1 point of Megadamage)
Now returning to this specific thread, we have to take in count one factor. Putrefaction.
When you kill an animal(for animal in this thread i mean a generic living complex organism), the decaying process , kept at bay form the simple fact of being alive, START istantly thank to those little micro-organism that attack the body to molecular level.
This is somethign that happen very fast and you can't do much about it. Except being fast in butchering and working the carcass. In modern times(ours) this involve removal of the skin, removal of internal organs that are inspected, checking for any disease, also to remove fecal matter, carcasses are then subjected to process to slow as possible the bacteria decay, including steaming and hot water. To prevent decay further is chilled to slow it(but not stop it, that's why you don't generally eat an hamburgher that had been for a week in your fridge!).
Now on rift earth, you could say that hey Megdamage being do have megadamage meat!
Yes and not. When a Megadamage animal die that decaying process start, and the first step, judging upon what is written in Rifts book(not taking in account Rifters for now), is the removal of that armor, turning MDC in vulnerable SDC albeit of large value(a 10 MDC animal will become a 1000 SDC carcass). This means that cna be butchered, with some more work with the proper tools, and eat, without much problem.
Now Hides and Bones can be worked into M.D.C. objects, but this require working on them, leather is not made just taking the animal hide and cutting it in shape, it does have to be worked to restore it to a non decaying shape. Shells generally do not decay, not as fast as skin or meat, but still a little work is still needed.
On magical note, necromancer, as sick and disgusting as it could sound, make AWESOME butchers. The power of animate a dead istantly stop or slow greatly the decaying process. That's mean that they could took their time to butcher a carcass and even make it follow them! They know if a carcass ha dbeen sick, and does not even need any large amouotn of equipment to work the carcass, can do it barehanded with the help of magic!!
Of course I won't touch meat prepared by a necromancer, unless I had a team of sorcerers, shamans and scientist check it before. I need a Certificate of Non-Cursed Origin(CNUO) before I cook it!
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:
Boiling and fermenting does soften leather and allow it to be broken down. It does not break down as fast as fresh hide, but they do break down. If allow to boil or decompose long enough it will get soft enough to cut and chew. It may not have any nutritional value left and not to flavorful, but you can eat it.
Boiling, burying, or otherwise treating a given material only makes it into a somewhat softer version of what it was before -that is to say, even the softest, supple leathers are still leather, and a turtle-shell processed eight ways to Sunday is still a Turtle Shell.

Expecting MDC material of any sort to be able to be somehow converted to edible, nutritious SDC foodstuffs by treatment goes far, far, far beyond the suspension of disbelief -and on top of that, even if it were "true," that still doesn't explain how 99% of the Stone-Age Technology Level SDC people on Rifts Earth get by everyday -Tanneries and specialized Curing/Smoking/Controlled Aging-Fermentation facilities are rather hard to come by for most.....which is why so many of those cultures just strip off what they can from the MDC carcass, sew it together, and go running around in that without any fear or worry that those MDC byproducts will some "rot down" to mere SDC material.

Unless the MDC hide is processed it would decompose. This same decomposition process could be used to process the internal meat to be made fit for consumption. If the hide does not decompose then you'd have a landscape full of dead MDC Critters.
SDC tissues and bone and hair decompose into the SDC materials they were originally made of; likewise MDC materials.

Again, you are overthinking this far, far, far beyond anything the Authors of the Books ever planned to have to deal with.

So by that logic a SDC person can apply sufficient acid to breakdown the MDC meat to a level it can be consumed. All they would have to do is rinse the meat prior to eating. Similar proesses are used to make Lukefisk and Hominy.
You don't really seem to know how Real World digestion works. much less a FICTIONAL process in a FICTIONAL book that the authors never cared to go into such detail about.

Right now, in the real world, most non-ruminants can't digest (SDC) cellulose in large part because of its physical durability -and even Ruminants (animals with multiple stomachs who regurgitate their cud to chew it again) have a hard time of it. A human being could literally starve to death over time if he had all the celery in the world to eat, for example -it takes more effort on the body's part to process the stuff than any nutritional value we non-ruminants could ever get out of it.

If we can't even digest SDC cellulose -and by logical extension neither can the carbon-based lifeforms in this fictional series of books -what make you think that a character could digest MDC organic matter?

20 year nuclear batteries: The core is made from a radio isotope with a radioactive half life of 20+ years. As it decays the radiation given off is captured by cells similar to photo-cells which convert it to electricity. This electricity is used by electronics developed 300+ years in the future to be efficient.
Making a Radioactive Battery that lasts 20 years is child's play; after all, Uranium has a half-life of 4 billion years, and IIRC Thorium lasts even longer than that.
It's the energy requirements of the Robot/Mecha/Vehicle/Energy Weapon over significant periods of time that are inexplicable.

Not that Kevin ever cared enough about their inner workings to want to describe them anyway.

Counter-Orbital Debris Field: The Kessler Syndrome. In addition to the orbital colonies adding debris from salvage work, war, general trash, and their own break down would keep the field up.
Even more over-thinking.

As bad as it is in the first place to think of a CODF that reliably covers the entire planet and has done so for the last 300 years without the orbital decay of a significant percentage of the individual objects in the field, you have to go ahead and stretch the Rubberband of Incredulity well past its breaking point by trying to posit that a small handful of humanoids -probably less than the population of a small Earth city -can somehow manage to keep enough material supplied to the CODF to, effectively, cover a region of low-to-high Earth orbit that represents a sphere (in terms of the area covered) many times larger than the planet itself.

FTL Drives: Grab a Startrek, Star Wars, or Honor Harrington tech manual and any of those explanations would work for the generic FTL drives. Magical FTL is just that Magic. Phase tech FTL is explained as being unexplainable and secret. If anybody can make a functional FTL Drive in reality there's a Nobel prize with your name on it.
Even Star Trek FTL Drives, like most sci-fi engines of this type, don't even bother with the various relativistic effects that a massed body encounters and causes as its speed moves closer to that of light. Most such drives just ignore them altogether, while other types of FTL simply add yet another layer of fiction on top of fiction and create a realm where relativistic effects don't apply (e.g., Hyperspace, or Subspace).

And to repeat the point once again, Kevin has indirectly shown by the blatant lack of exposition in this regard across many books that he doesn't care about the inner workings of it. Just like the eating of MDC material by SDC creatures.

Do yourself a favor and stop assuming that every person who ever writes into their fictional works things of science fantasy or science fiction are trying to win the Hugo Award or get themselves commendations from DARPA or NASA for realism.
The vast, vast, vast majority of people who do so are, instead, concerned only with "I need the characters/objects in my fictional setting to do X, Y, or Z;" at which point, for most who write this sort of stuff, the science in 'science fiction' begins and ends.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

paxmiles wrote:
csbioborg wrote:As for the Orbital Defense shield I think its a stupid idea so my group simple says instead the atmosphere is covered with wait for it rifts that are constantly opening and closing

I love this idea. Makes total sense. Much more sense than that stupid orbital defense thing...
-Pax

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

"No. That's just a Rift. They're ..." *A huge impact lands nearby like a meteor from the sky.* WHOA! What was that?!"

"The sky is fallin' man!"

"The sky can't be falling. There has to be some logical ..." *Both leap out of the way as a car nearly lands on top of them.* "See? That's definitely not the sky. That's got to be from a Rift. They're all up in the sky and random things keep going through them. Then they come hurtling towards the Earth. I bet this kind of thing happens every day. See? Completely logical."

"Ohhhh ... I get it n--" *Is silenced as a smoking carcass of a T-Rex lands on his head.*

"Atmospheric re-entry. So that's how you cook a MDC being extra crispy."

-----

Greetings and Salutations. Just a random thought about Rifts opening up all the time in the sky (and then tying it to the topic at hand). Sorry, no insults are intended and this is just meant in fun. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
taalismn
Priest

Prysus wrote:
"Ohhhh ... I get it n--" *Is silenced as a smoking carcass of a T-Rex lands on his head.*

"Atmospheric re-entry. So that's how you cook a MDC being extra crispy."

]

Ah, barbecue from heaven...
:fl:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nadrakas
Explorer

taalismn wrote:
Nadrakas wrote:[

When you think about it, cheese(especially the runnier gourmet varieties) are pretty disgusting too.
Then there's the Durien Fruit... :D

I LOVE Durien Fruit!!!!!

Of course I like "Dorian Gray" too. Nice Looking Guy, Real Baaaaaad Personality, Ugly Painting :D

~ N
Last edited by Nadrakas on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Nadrakas
Explorer

Now think about this: How do you eat MDC Salads?

"Honey! Do we have any of that Ole' Acid? I can't cut thru the salad with my broken teeth!!!" (Spitting bloodied teeth as he talks...)

~ N

taalismn
Priest

Enough Thousand Island(as long as some of those islands are Iwo Jima, Corrigedor, Guadelcanal, Bougainville, etc...) should do the job...
I'd suggest tossing the salad with an HE grenade for proper coating.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:Welcome to the M.D.C. food pyramid chart, where 1 M.D.C. equals to 100 boxes of your favorite cereal. :D

You've been watching too many 'Total' ads.

Yeah, the way that sounds, a single MDC burger has more fiber than a ball of raw twine, more of the minerals your body needs than a consolidated brick of the stuff, and MORE RAW ENERGY THAN YOUR PUNY LITTLE BODY CAN POSSIBLY HANDLE IN ONE SITTING!...ahem...I mean, I can see 'Angry Anderson' the Drill Sarge at the counter with some crewcut kid, browbeating him: "THAT'S SIXTY THOUSAND CALORIES IN ONE SEATING! AND THAT'S -WITHOUT- THE BACON, THE SPECIAL SAUCE, THE SIDE ORDER OF FRIES, OR THE MILKSHAKE! NO WAY SOME NAMBY-PAMPY LITTLE MOMMA'S BOY LIKE YOU'S GOING TO BE ABLE TO DOWN THAT WITHOUT GOING INTO INSULIN SHOCK!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Yeah, and humans on the continents are refered to in Splynn as 'free range white white meat'... :twisted:
A Hyperion Juicer is 'REALLY fast food'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

taalismn wrote:Yeah, and humans on the continents are refered to in Splynn as 'free range white white meat'... :twisted:

:lol: So true. :twisted:
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

The Beast wrote:
taalismn wrote:Yeah, and humans on the continents are refered to in Splynn as 'free range white white meat'... :twisted:

:lol: So true. :twisted:

Humans in Armor are canned food.
Bursters are spicy food.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
taalismn
Priest

Crazies are brain food.
Cyborgs are difficult to eat because of the metal bones...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
dragonfett
Knight

Crazies are brain food.
Cyborgs are difficult to eat because of the metal bones...

I thought that Mind Melters were Brain Food.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:I thought we were talking about S.D.C. beings eating M.D.C. creatures, not M.D.C. creatures eating S.D.C. beings. :?:

Sorry, went to see the first showing of the movie, Skyline. It sort of left me wanting humanity to survive very badly in that setting. :(

Eww...grimdark ending, sounds like.
Yeah, in that case, lemme send you a few bottles of 'Kevin's Own Meat Tenderizer Sauce'....makes invincible ETs into delectable entrees, after rendering them vulnerable to bullets and butterknives...comes with a special screwtop cap that allows the bottle to be fitted with any number of readily available pump action squirt bottle sprayers and garden hose attachments. Comes in eighteen different flavors, including Liquid Smoke, Emperor's(Prosek) Own Recipe, Nuke'em Hot Death, and It Don't taste Liek Chicken.
"Kevin's Own'...When the invasion comes, invite 'em to dinner, and show 'em that 'To Serve Man' was a lie they shouldn't have believed.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:
taalismn wrote:Eww...grimdark ending, sounds like.
Yeah, in that case, lemme send you a few bottles of 'Kevin's Own Meat Tenderizer Sauce'....makes invincible ETs into delectable entrees, after rendering them vulnerable to bullets and butterknives...comes with a special screwtop cap that allows the bottle to be fitted with any number of readily available pump action squirt bottle sprayers and garden hose attachments. Comes in eighteen different flavors, including Liquid Smoke, Emperor's(Prosek) Own Recipe, Nuke'em Hot Death, and It Don't taste Liek Chicken. "Kevin's Own'...When the invasion comes, invite 'em to dinner, and show 'em that 'To Serve Man' was a lie they shouldn't have believed.

I won't spoil it. You just have to see for yourself on how the movie plays out.

Side note on that movie, don't start getting out of your seats immediately, because there are some short pieces of work in between the ending credits.

Thanks. :-D All I need now is a bowl of New England Clam Chowder (white), a bowl of Miso Soup, a large tray of fresh sushi with the right soy sauce (including Spam Musubi with some cooked egg in it), and some nice, warm green tea, and I'm all good for the day. :ok:

No need..I just wiki'ed it and the reviews...Cloverfield sounded better.
Yeah, I'll have to revisit some of my protocols for preparing extraterrestrials for dinner... :twisted: :demon:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Baron of chaos
Champion

After My previous , and mostly ignored :( , post detailing slaughtering and meat working, I think that I should "flesh" out also the decaying process(in the limit of my knowledge):

M.D.C. Animal die
Start the Fresh part of the decomposition, the mostly physical one, gravity, heat loss, rigot mortis all start(is in this fase that as i said working the meat should start, otherwise....). Apart from carrion eaters( remember there are lot of MDC critters who have no problem inot eating other MDC critters dead corpses, as well as MDC insects...), the most important aspect of decaying is chemical, a change of Ph that CAUSE THE CELL LOSE INTEGRITY this brings about the release of cellular enzymes capable of initiating the breakdown of surrounding cells and tissues, at this point MDC is likely less MDC than when the critter was alive, assuming that remain MDC considering that in Rifts earth, canonically, animated deads and zombies are SDC, even if the were MDC in life, unless a special animation method is used.
After this the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria start doing their dirty work, finding no opposition by immune systems and generally makin the corpse looking awful and in-edible for most. Eventually...hmmm...melting it.
The process of microbial proliferation within a body is referred to as putrefaction and leads to the second stage of decomposition, known as bloat.
After the bloat come the active decaying where, well most of the fluid and gasses from prutefaction start hmmm dispersing returning to the environment. Any eventually maggot will leave the carcass at this point
After the active come the advanced decay, where there is little left. The soil absorb from the carcass nutrints and carbons.
finally the dry remains, bones and dry skins, that will take a little bit to decay and rot.
This is the most interesting point for humans dealing with an MDC carcass, as at this point they ca recover the bones, shell plates and skin, that they can and should work. Generally making them water proof , as ambiental moisture is deleterious.

Note that as far as i can see the various components of decay are , by their nature quite able to deal with MDC flesh, butchering is not such big problem, as well as carcass work.
The real problem is if SDC animals(human included), can eat or better digest MDC meat, albeit I am of opinion that apart skin and bones most of MDC body stop being MDC the moment of death for the reason detailed above (ya know Ph changes, enzymatic cellular breakdown and such). Also consider that in canon MDC mean IS edible, in New west dinosaur meat is highly valued, and I'm fair sure there are notes about similar things in other Rifts worldbook(but apart New west i'm not entirely sure)
taalismn
Priest

Necromancy in the kitchen?
mmmmmm....Cooking with Zombies...
Bobby Flay: "They work uncomplainingly, but you have to word everything so EXACTLY! And you don't want them stirring anything...there's no telling WHAT drops in when they do that!"
Welcome to Hell's Kitchen.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nadrakas
Explorer

This is from an Anime but I thought it was a good example of how I'm thinking of handling this in my game.

In Slayers Next, Episode 7: "Sudden Cooking! Follow the Phantom Dragon!" ("Bikkuri Kukkingu! Maboroshi no Doragon o Oe!"), Lina Inverse and her gang are in a town when they run across an advertisement for “...the greatest, most sublime, nearly legendary example of gourmet cuisine they call 'The King of the Lunch!' Also known as Dragon Cuisine!” According to Lina, the Dragon Cuisine “...was created as an unusual cuisine designed for the mouths of Royalty in the Court!” (The initial meal that they eat turns out not to be "real" Dragon Cuisine... :lol: )

After a few misadventures, including being served a faux “Dragon Cuisine” consisting of Whale Blubber and Orc Meat (Yuck) :eek: and hunting a Lake Dragon (Apparently the best kind of Dragon for the Dragon Cuisine...and slaying a Dragon with Magic ruins the flavor), Lina and the gang head back to the Restaurant with the Chef for their well deserved meal of Dragon Cuisine...

...Dragon Wine Souffle, which requires a special wine and only takes 2-weeks to cook...in a Pressure Cooker...

...The Special Sauce takes one month to make...

...When asked by Amelia (Justice Shall Prevail!) if the Dragon Meat will Rot, the cook says that “A Dragon's Life Force isn't that Weak! If your ingredients are fresh they'll keep for all six months of cooking!” (Lina and the Gang are surprised, shocked and Lina's poor stomach is...upset...)...

Lina asks about some other Dishes:

...Dragon's Fin Soup: Two months of boiling to make the broth...

...Shabu-Shabu (Japanese variant of Hot Pot...Heavenly :angel: ): Has to be boiled continuously for three months...

...Sashimi (Raw Dragon...Lina's desperate): Has to be buried in the ground for three months to leech the poison out of the meat or you'd die.

Lina then proceeds to try to eat the Dragon Meat anyway (desperation), but can't cut it with her teeth. The Gang drags her away as she is screaming for her Dragon Cuisine.

So, here's my thoughts:

MDC creatures can be eaten, but...

1. They require a looooooot of preparation by someone who knows what they are doing (Think of the specialized Chefs who prepare Fugu Sashimi (Puffer Fish)...).
2. They also are a pain in the posterior to make.
3. They take a loooooong time to cook.
4. They are expensive...real expensive

In other words, they are a delicacy.

I don't think every hamburger joint will be serving up MDC Dino Burgers (Unless there was a secondary business that supplied Dino-Burger meat, ready to be cooked...but it would still be an expensive burger. Still, the thought of PCs hunting Dinosaur for a Meat Supplier...hmmm.....adventure posibilities......"Just how do they 'prepare' all of the Dinosaur Meat anyway? And at such low prices too." :twisted: ).

You want Fugu Sashimi, you go to a reputable restaurant that has a certified chef and a good reputation.

You want a Dino Steak, Dino Burger, or some other "MDC" food, then you go to a place with a chef who knows what he, she or it is doing. Just be prepared to spend a looooot of Credits to do so.

~ N

taalismn
Priest

But of course...
However, the need to eat, plus all these MDC critters rampaging around the countryside, has made it a necessity for a good number of people to become proficient at preparing MDC meats and to think long term.
Other considerations include the fact that folks have to raise lots of regular animals, in part due to the many threats that lead to heavy livestock attrition(not least being MDC critters too dumb to know that eating lots of SDC critters is like eating junk food, and those that are smart enough to be vindicative and just like killing), and the need to stash your large caches of MDC meat in places where they can be prepared without drawing the attention of other beasts looking for a quick meal.
Still, a shimmering or soaking supply of MDC meat represents a long term reserve or future meal(s) if handled right. If it's the sort that doesn't go bad immediately, that brining thunderbeetle haunch from that lucky kill will be ready in late winter, when reserve stocks of normal foodstuffs are drawing down, people need a kickstart of energy, and morale needs a boost with some good hot fare.
The smart communities likely have several caches of MDC meat maturing from necessary kills(i.e. self-defense) or planned hunting, spaced out so they can eat the stuff regularly in addition to 'normal' foodstuffs.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nadrakas
Explorer

taalismn wrote:But of course...
However, the need to eat, plus all these MDC critters rampaging around the countryside, has made it a necessity for a good number of people to become proficient at preparing MDC meats and to think long term.
Other considerations include the fact that folks have to raise lots of regular animals, in part due to the many threats that lead to heavy livestock attrition(not least being MDC critters too dumb to know that eating lots of SDC critters is like eating junk food, and those that are smart enough to be vindicative and just like killing), and the need to stash your large caches of MDC meat in places where they can be prepared without drawing the attention of other beasts looking for a quick meal.
Still, a shimmering or soaking supply of MDC meat represents a long term reserve or future meal(s) if handled right. If it's the sort that doesn't go bad immediately, that brining thunderbeetle haunch from that lucky kill will be ready in late winter, when reserve stocks of normal foodstuffs are drawing down, people need a kickstart of energy, and morale needs a boost with some good hot fare.
The smart communities likely have several caches of MDC meat maturing from necessary kills(i.e. self-defense) or planned hunting, spaced out so they can eat the stuff regularly in addition to 'normal' foodstuffs.

For the sake of a good game I'm ignoring Cuisine compatability between Humans and MDC Critters (Not Demons or other Supernatural Creatures...just "regular" MDC creatures...). The different protein compounds...yikes...not to mention the potential for diseases.

Anyway...

...Not arguing that there would be people outside of "Civilization" that would know how to prepare MDC Critters. I think it would take a loooong time to prepare and cook, not to mention it would probably require some exotic cooking ingredients all its own. I don't look at this as a Negative, but as a Positive. Let me explain...

Salt and Sugar. In the modern world, we take them for granted. Yet, not so long ago (250+ years or so) Salt was worth its weight in gold and Sugar helped spur the slave trade. Wars were fought over Salt deposites and Pirates plundered ships laden with Sugar (and Gold to, of course). GMs can use cooking ingredients to their advantage.

Now, say you want to cook your favorite dish: Furry Beetle Souffle! Might take a little while to soak it in a potent blend of sauces, mixed with the root of a particular flowering plant that is only found in swampy places. Lets say that this plant isn't very large - say only a few inches or so tall and has a somewhat shallow root system, so that several dozen need to be harvested in order to make the meal. Add in another factor or two - say, that they are only good during a certain time of year (Fall perhaps) and that the roots are sensitive to salt (so no "storing" them in a salty brine). Oh, and they are only good for a few days after they are pulled from the ground. And, just one more thing...the plant just so happens to be a favorite meal of one of the swamp critters: Gator Rats - Big and mean critters.

After the root has been returned, you can include one or two other ingredients that are a little hard to get - or pricey - and you can make the Furry Beetle Souffle! Get a little "creative" as a GM, and you can make an adventure of it. :twisted:

Now, the above is a very simplistic and way too straight forward plot, but I'm sure you get the idea. Complications can be added, depending on what you desire as a GM (and what your players are like, of course).

Just thoughts beyond "MDC can & can't be eaten."

~ N

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

cornholioprime wrote:Right now, in the real world, most non-ruminants can't digest (SDC) cellulose in large part because of its physical durability -and even Ruminants (animals with multiple stomachs who regurgitate their cud to chew it again) have a hard time of it. A human being could literally starve to death over time if he had all the celery in the world to eat, for example -it takes more effort on the body's part to process the stuff than any nutritional value we non-ruminants could ever get out of it.

If we can't even digest SDC cellulose -and by logical extension neither can the carbon-based lifeforms in this fictional series of books -what make you think that a character could digest MDC organic matter?

So all MDC beings are made of celery? That explains everything!

:lol:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
dragonfett
Knight

This discussion certainly does bring us to the question though, . . . Are human beings still on top of the food chain in the Rifts Earth setting? Any thoughts on this? :?:

No. The only thing that keeps us at the top of the food chain right now is we are relatively smarter than other animals and can use tools.

Given that there a lot more creatures that in Rifts Earth are just as smart as humans, can use tools just like humans, and are tougher and stronger than humans, the only way to get back on the top of the food chain is to eradicate all other life on Rifts Earth and destroy all the ley lines.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:After death a body releases chemicals that start the process of decomposition before bacterial decay starts. In MDC Creatures this first step in the cycle of decomposition is to reduce the M.D.C. Flesh to S.D.C. material that will allow the start of bacterial growth.

To eat a M.D.C. critter one must wait till the flesh has decayed to S.D.C. material and prepare it before the rampant growth of bacteria

I don't think that decaying meat would be very popular.

Actually its great. Ever have a dry aged steak?

The meat is stored at just above freezing for 2-4 week open to the air and basically starts to decay... not from bacteria but just from the natural process of cell walls breaking down and other chemical changes. The meat becomes more tender and more flavorful.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

As to the OP either use the age/slow cooking school of thought or just don't over think it.

Just because they are MDC while alive or can have their hides treated to remain MDC after death does not mean that there is not a natural process of decay and or consumption by non MDC critters.

It would be a very strange ecosystem if after an MDC critter died that only MDC scavengers could benefit. More likely that its own cell breakdown and SDC microbial action would still break it down... eventually to dirt, but first to a point where SDC animals could consume it or at least to where they could cook it the rest of the way to being fit for consumption.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:This discussion certainly does bring us to the question though, . . . Are human beings still on top of the food chain in the Rifts Earth setting? Any thoughts on this? :?:

No, but give us time to develop a cuisne based around MDC foods, and when we have chain restaurants opening up featuring it, we'll be on our way back up...

Of course, 'Burger Wars' takes on a new meaning when the Brodkil-owned 'To Serve Man' opens up across the street from a 'Col. Saunder's Kentucky-Fried Xiticix'... :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
dragonfett
Knight

LOL :D
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Emperor Ryu wrote:
The Baron of chaos, . . . I know I didn't ignore your postings. It's just that I couldn't contribute, nor argue any points on your well thought out point of view on this matter. Plus, we already covered the decaying/fermentation/the necromancy cook book parts earlier in this thread on page 1. I apologize if I didn't at least make a comment on your posting. My bad. :( It's a very good and intelligent perspective. Good job. :ok:

Ah don't worry, It was mt fault that I tend to skip too fast thru the posting. Sometimes(actually often :ugh: ) I miss stuff.

And returning to the thread
I now detail one thing that came upon me right now.
MDC chainsaw.
Now, assuming that in the early moment after death, a MDC animal is still MDC (i think that untill the body heat had completely dropped, and the blood is still fresh we can think it as MDC)
So how to work the carcass. Yeah Vibroblades seem asensible idea, as most other energy weapon just damage the carcass way too much( try to use particel beam to cook and tell me how much it is left). But they are more good for precision work (vibro scissors as well as laser soldering tool, would be pivotal in making those awesome Megadamage trenchcoat that look oh so cool on oneself), but for the early butchering you need something that is at same time powerful and that won't completely destroy the carcass. And what is that tool if not a chainsaw.
It make sense tha tMDC chainsaw was created for this purpose, and not as Juicer book put, as psychological warfar tool.
Psychological warfar tool? Perhaps in our realtive peaceful world, but in a world where there are mantis like cyborg, psionic lifting a throwing giant booulder of rock at mach 1 against you, dinosaurs, dragons, undeads and guns(oh so many guns, rifts can be renamed NRA in the future: the rpg game, so many guns we got :lol: ) a chainsaw just is not THAT scary. As weapon is large, noisy, hard to manage correctly and does not do all that damage compared to toehr more practical weapons. So why build megadamage chainsaw?
The answer could be simple.
Butchery. Plain and simple. Chopping off fillet of Tri-tops to seel on this or that market.(note that one tri tops can give lot of more meat than a cow.). Was marketed also as weapon because ya know, Juicers and Crazies are sucker for preposterous but cool looking weapon. Really you could sell them ANYTHING. (Cyborg are more for self "upgrades" of weird taste and various degrees of awesomness.).
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

This was covered extensively in the rifter 32 article. It's actually one of my faves. The article goes INTO "Just what IS MDC meat", "WHY" is the meat MDC" and "What can you do about it?"

The short answer is "MDC meat is MDC due to what the creature eats (( MDC foods)) And OR (( note the or)) It's mystical or extra dimensional.
MDC meat is also, something like 5 times as nutritious for you, due to the density and strength of the proteins and other building blocks of the food. (( Same as.. an oz of rice cakes only has a bit of nutritional value while an oz of steak has alot more. Think of this on a drastically increased level. They still both weigh an oz, but you get alot more out of 5oz of steak than you do a 5oz rice cake))

This is why people go to the effort. Additional many MDC creatures are big. so if your dino weighs 1000 pounds and you can make... 500 of that edible and it equates to 2,500 pounds of normal food. That's a pretty good result.

As to the"Why" it gives a few reasons. First one being "It's magic. 'nuff said" ALOT of rift's 'logic' is covered this way. "Why is that fairy MDC? Cuz its magic" "What makes a dragon different from a very large alligator?" "It's Magic" "Why is THIS humanoid race, MDC and the one standing beside him sdc?" "It's Magic"

Magic is the ultimate 'reason' in any setting it's found in. Across any RPG that has it. Just how it works. In rifts, some creatures are 'changed' by the increase in PPE ((magic)) and become MDC creatures.

Some... are extra dimensional. Same as above but different clor.

but MOST are MDC because they eat MDC materials. This also explains the ever popular question "Why, if we have MDC monsters, are all the SDC Critters/ plants not gone?" The answer is simple. "MDC critters don't waste time eating SDC critters, as it's not going to keep them going." The MDC critter needs that "X 5 Nutritional value" Of MDC Meat and plants to keep going normally.

For a visual think of this. Humans can eat Cool whip light. It's not 'bad' for you. It's just.. not very good for you. It's easy to get and you can eat bowls of it. But it's not going to really give you what you need to function well. You need real food with nutrition in it to keep you going.

For MDC Creatures, SDC creatures might be tasty (( We all love cool whip)) but beyond the occasional snack food. You "EAT" what you "NEED" to survive.

The article states these things more eligantly than I am now but if I typed the thing in here I'd get sued. lol

Then it goes on to not one, but many different ways the people of Rifts earth make that super tough MDC Meat able to be consumed.

There's slow cooking. (( Applying damage over a long period of time and eventually breaking through the things MD)) This is done on earth for tough meats. On rifts earth this just takes correspondingly longer.

There's brines and such that use acidic compounds to break down the bonds in the MDC meat.

There's intense heat. (( Yep MD heat to cook MD meat)) up to and including special MD plasma stoves and such.

There's a number of other things statted out, how they might work, how they don't. Aging is in there. (( and it IS pointed out, properly aged (( partially rotten)) meat is not only super tasty in TODAYS world but done properly it costs a bunch. lol There's more to it than just letting hte meat rot and cook it.))

When one dino might make enough meat through that 'times five' nutritional value, you find a way to eat it. The article has 5 or 6 different routes for different sorts. I don't remember them all off the top of my head but they're nicely presented. and while not 100% myth busting style science that will cover all eventualitys it's a nice little thing for your game that.... HAS Magical Dragons, dinosaurs, space ships and laser guns all mashed together.

It even goes into a few cooking oriented OOCs, including the CS Cookie. (( funny as hell)) And their recipe for contry fried xicticx and stuff.

It also has a good little section of MD cooking implements, from vibro chefs knifes, to the MD Plasma stoves and cooking pots made of mdc materials to withstand the heat of md cooking. ((At first you go "Do what??" then you go "Well I've cooked on the stove with my sdc pot for years and the pot is fine. technically sdc fire should 'damage' the sdc pot but it doesn't. Same thing applied here. ))

There's a more detailed look into the cooking skill, letting you work with alien or other kinds of food than what you're used to, and stuf such as gormet cooking vs mac and cheese prep from a box.

One of the funniest things (( an a bit tongue in cheek)) is the "You cooked with MAGICAL food? Here's your table of possible results if you fail the roll" Table.

Such things can happen from cooking magical foods, from... being cursed with stench.. to offending the food gods so much that they come in person to SMITE you.... to your food becoming magically aware, and attacking you like a little food golem. lol quite funny.

But yeah, all this stuff is covered in the Rifter 32. It's one of the best "little' Articles they've put out in a while. Defiantly in my top 20 Rifter articles ever.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
dragonfett
Knight

Such things can happen from cooking magical foods, from... being cursed with stench.. to offending the food gods so much that they come in person to SMITE you.... to your food becoming magically aware, and attacking you like a little food golem. lol quite funny.

Definitely gives new meaning to the commercials for an antacid (IIRC), where the narrator asks "What do you do when your food starts to fight you" (you know, the ones where the buffalo wing or spaghetti slaps the person around in the face?)
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
taalismn
Priest

dragonfett wrote:

Definitely gives new meaning to the commercials for an antacid (IIRC), where the narrator asks "What do you do when your food starts to fight you" (you know, the ones where the buffalo wing or spaghetti slaps the person around in the face?)

That's why we keep a salt and pepper shaker and a loaed Wilks Laser 'Pepperbox' Derringer on the dining room table when setting it.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Emperor Ryu wrote:[
taalismn wrote:No, but give us time to develop a cuisne based around MDC foods, and when we have chain restaurants opening up featuring it, we'll be on our way back up...

Of course, 'Burger Wars' takes on a new meaning when the Brodkil-owned 'To Serve Man' opens up across the street from a 'Col. Saunder's Kentucky-Fried Xiticix'... :shock:

Okay. This is one method I can definitely get use to in the game.

Don't forget the Psi-Stalker's Burger King, the Vampire's Taco Bell with a mutant little Dog-Boy as their spokesperson and media product icon, the Sea Titan's Sushi Bars, and the Juicer's now own the entire McDonald's fast food chain, where the still famous Big Mac has tripled in size..

-Sunaj's Bar and Grill---"Where We'll Soon Know Your Name(or else)"
-Temporal Raider Wy'dye's---"Old Time Family Dining and Fun...Again and Again and Again..."

And I always liked Burger Czar and Burger God(if you've never heard the radio skit, it's HILARIOUS...."Say, can I change my water order to wine?" "No, you can't but -I- can!")
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

dragonfett wrote:
This discussion certainly does bring us to the question though, . . . Are human beings still on top of the food chain in the Rifts Earth setting? Any thoughts on this? :?:

No. The only thing that keeps us at the top of the food chain right now is we are relatively smarter than other animals and can use tools.

Given that there a lot more creatures that in Rifts Earth are just as smart as humans, can use tools just like humans, and are tougher and stronger than humans, the only way to get back on the top of the food chain is to eradicate all other life on Rifts Earth and destroy all the ley lines.

That's actually the goal of the NPC head of the society of sages in our off and on game (remember Caglistro Smith from Juicer Rebellion is "middle management" of the Society. His ultimate goal iafter learning about the planet in the three galaxies that destroyed most of there ley lines to get rid of th supernaturalthreat is to perform the same spell on earth. It just wil take thousands of wizards willing to cast it on all continents at the sae time and problay sacrfice there lives in te process. So its going to take hundreds of years to get the ppe figure out the spell they used and recruit all the mages neccesary. He's got that long because he soul drained a anceient Shikome Kido-Mi Dragon who was dying of old age and wanted to pass on his legacy. Ex CS mage left after the war with the Federation when all the mages where kicked out andwent traveling tried to kill dragon. Dragon made him a deal I got about 20 years left befre I die of natural causes i want to stick it to the forces of good one last time.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
taalismn
Priest

The Random Rift Restaurant:----"Today's Special: Don't Ask What It Is, We Don't Know Either."
"We Don't What It Is, Or Where It Came From; We Just Serve It Up With Chili Peppers and Onions."
"No, We Don't Know What Metal Buttons Are Doing In Your Food; It Didn't Talk To Us When We Killed It."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

taalismn wrote:The Random Rift Restaurant:----"Today's Special: Don't Ask What It Is, We Don't Know Either."
"We Don't What It Is, Or Where It Came From; We Just Serve It Up With Chili Peppers and Onions."
"No, We Don't Know What Metal Buttons Are Doing In Your Food; It Didn't Talk To Us When We Killed It."

I am picturing a cajun saying that with a cajun accent.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

I think a vibro-blade would be the ultimate MDC meat cutter. You don't use a chainsaw to cut through meat... you use an electric knife (okay, *I* use an electric knife). Chainsaw's great, if you want to make BBQ dinosaur sandwiches and need to shred the meat. But for a precision cut, you can't beat a knife that a) is easily controlled, and b) vibrates fast enough to practically just separate the meat.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Traska wrote:I think a vibro-blade would be the ultimate MDC meat cutter. You don't use a chainsaw to cut through meat... you use an electric knife (okay, *I* use an electric knife). Chainsaw's great, if you want to make BBQ dinosaur sandwiches and need to shred the meat. But for a precision cut, you can't beat a knife that a) is easily controlled, and b) vibrates fast enough to practically just separate the meat.

the rifter had a number of 'vibro' or other kinds of 'chef's knives' for this purpose. but, short answer is 'Yeah. Vibro chef's knife for cutting mdc meats'

There's also a WP Kitchen utensils (( Or similar)) To use such things as weapons. Kitchen knives aren't balanced the same as normal knives and pots and pans are not quite the same as clubs. lol it gives rules and stats for them

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Rifts®”