Suggestion: A Rifts Mutants Book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Suggestion: A Rifts Mutants Book

Post by Killer Cyborg »

Jabborwacky wrote:After attempting to make variant mutant animals and mutant humans for a while, I've come to realize that I really can't use the after the bomb rules to create Rifts level mutants without heavy ad-hocking. Why not create a Rifts Mutants supplement that includes a compilation of various Rifts mutants and stronger rules for creating unique varieties of mutant animals, humans, and d-bees? Nothing says post apocalyptic like mutants, so why not have a book dedicated to making them, and on a Rift's scale?

I like the idea, BUT....

At this point, what we'd get is just a rehash of all the mutant information we have from other settings (AtB, HU2, etc.), and what we really need is to have the existing material expanded on.
How did Dog Boys develop as a stable breed from TMNT/AtB style mutant animals? How much Bio-E did their psionic powers cost? Etc.
More mutations, information on mutants in Rifts society, some new breeds of mutants, and other stuff.
Could be really cool, but I don't think that it would be.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Post by Pepsi Jedi »

Rift's powers for AtB made char's (( like the Dog boy's psionics and such)) would make for a GREAT Rifter article. You could very very very easily tie it in with lone star, and yes even touch on human mutations there (( there are some in the AtB book))

Would just like to say, I'm a big big fan of AtB and TMNT&OS The "new" After the Bomb book (( The big one,)) Is one of the best games palladium has ever put out, and is easily my fave. (( Mutants Down Under was my first RPG book ever. I've got it framed on my wall.)) So anything and everything for AtB is good for me and I would happily pay, even full palladium prices for the books/articles.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Post by Kalidor »

You might want to check out Mutants in Orbit. It's got some neat stuff in there if I recall.
Transdimensional TMNT was cool too, but you'd have to convert it.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Post by Pepsi Jedi »

Transdimensional TMNT had dinos which was cool, but I always remember Mutants in Orbit as being really really really bad attempt at trying to be both rifts and after the bomb and failed both? It's been a few years since I've looked though.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Post by glitterboy2098 »

find a copy of Rifter #26. it had "Mutants of RIFTS Earth", which was an article providing new origins and options for making not only ATB style Mutants in RIFTS, but also some useful stuff for human mutants.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gaby
Knight

Post by gaby »

I hope it will have the Mutant animal powers and Animal psionic powers from AtB2 in it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Post by glitterboy2098 »

duck-foot wrote:what kind of options i found rifter 26 online and i would like a little info before purchusing it

it basicallt presents information on new backgrouns for mutation (exposure ot magic, Lonestar Experiment, etc), and guidelines to using OCC's with them. essentually a "conversion guide" for using the ATB mutant types in RIFTS.

it also have an number of tables providing mutation options for humans, and some sample NPC's
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Post by Killer Cyborg »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Transdimensional TMNT had dinos which was cool, but I always remember Mutants in Orbit as being really really really bad attempt at trying to be both rifts and after the bomb and failed both? It's been a few years since I've looked though.

A lot of people disliked the book, but other than some sketchy science (nothing new to Rifts), I really don't know why.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Post by Supergyro »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Transdimensional TMNT had dinos which was cool, but I always remember Mutants in Orbit as being really really really bad attempt at trying to be both rifts and after the bomb and failed both? It's been a few years since I've looked though.

A lot of people disliked the book, but other than some sketchy science (nothing new to Rifts), I really don't know why.

To be fair, most of those people (as well as the people who liked these books) have forgotten a lot of them due to complications related to Alzheimer's. I read both, and when the pill lady lets me go to the study room of my assisted living facility, I break them out every now and again.

I could be for a mutant animal book for Rifts, provided the mutation system was completely different (and improved) over that used in books written over two decades ago. Bio-E was a breakthrough gaming idea in 1989, but better could be done now, a lot better.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Post by Killer Cyborg »

Supergyro wrote: Bio-E was a breakthrough gaming idea in 1989, but better could be done now, a lot better.

Hm.
I'd go the other way and say that Palladium needs to make more use out of Bio-E in Rifts and other games.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Post by Pepsi Jedi »

I rather like the After the Bomb BIO-E point system. It's always worked out for me. Sometimes as a GM I give +10 or +20 BIO-E points for nice strong mutants, or free size levels to 6, but that's never been a problem. The 'system' works just fine. People just like having the cool powers with out being midgets. lol

The skills for the older TMNT games were very few when compared to RIfts or others though so you gotta boost that a bit if you're bringing them into other worlds.

Return to “Rifts®”