Newbie Players?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

I'm sure there will be people willing to let you watch a game, bring you up to speed and then let you join in. I think Julius Rosenstein (Palladium staffer) is a very good GM that would help you get into a game.

Alex Marciniszyn
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Another great GM for beginners is on of our megaversal ambasadors, James Brown. His style of GM is great for beginners.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Greyaxe wrote:Another great GM for beginners is on of our megaversal ambasadors, James Brown. His style of GM is great for beginners.

Thanks for the compliment, that means alot! :D

Shadowkin, you are welcome in any of my games, they are not "newbie only" but we should be able to get you up to speed in no time. I second what Alex said about Jules, and would add Jason Richards to the list of GMs that run "newbie friendly" games
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The core engine of Palladium is very easy. If you ever played AD&D or D20, you will be pick it up in two minutes.

1) Skills are percentile so roll 2D10 and get under your skill %. AKA, if you have Detect Ambush at 45%, try to roll 01 to 45 and not above. Same as you did with AD&D thief skills.

2) 1 minute = 4 melee rounds and your character has a certain number of actions per melee round. Initiative is D20 + bonus ala D&D 3.X. If you have 3 attacks, you don't take them all at once, but one at a time as we go down the initiative chart. Your "attacks" could be most any action, not just weapon blows.

3) Combat is opposed rolls so attacker rolls D20 + bonus and the defender rolls D20 + bonus to parry or dodge. Against blunt attacks, the defender can attempt to roll with the punch for half damage. Usually, it costs your next attack to dodge a ranged strike. So it's a tactical decision to suck up the slammage or trade your next action to evade.

4) If attacker wins, he rolls damage which comes off armor. Palladium armor is ablative. When armor is gone, damage comes of SDC which is like Vitality points in Star Wars D20 and SpyCraft. When SDC is gone, damage goes to Hit Points which is the meaty part.

Sure, there are other fiddly bits (like missile volleys, psionics, spells), but you will be able to sit down at the Open House and be ready to rumble. Just tell the GM that you're a newbie and he will give you the mechanically easiest character to play.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I too am newbie friendly and will be running two scheduled Heroes Unlimited games and MAYBE a Splicers after hours game.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

I'll be a little rough around the edges myself, my only concern will be remembering combat options and powers, but the system itself is pretty straight forward, much as Spinachcat said.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

shadowkin wrote: Do I need to bring anything to the table? I have never played at a convention/open house before. I don't really want to cart around all my books and such. Dice and a pencil seem ok?

1) Dice
2) Pad & Pencil
3) Snacks to bribe the GM
4) Core books for games you want to play
5) Cash to buy cool stuff.

If you have the main book from your favorite game, that is always worthwhile to bring - especially if you want to play a spellcaster or a psionic. In my games, I limit the casters / psions to players who have the main book with them. It's just easier for everyone.

Also, having your own book with you means that you can join a pick up game where the GM doesn't have premade characters for you. It utterly blows when 5 people sit down and there's one book to share.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Newbie Players?

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Shadowkin, if there aren't any games like what you need, I'll put one together for you! The Open House is exactly that, an open gathering of one of the coolest families on the planet. There's room for everybody, from old-timers to people who've never played before.

In fact a fair number of people there will be new to role-playing (I'm bringing my brother, who's never played before), so I'm sure you'll fit right in. I can pretty much guarantee that you won't feel it's a wasted trip. And you can ask all of us old-farts as many questions as you like about any pesky rules that have been bothering you and your friends!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

shadowkin wrote:I wasn't able to make it back in 2007 but am going to try again this year. My situation hasn't changed, are the newbie friendly GMs/games still available?

I had people who hadn't EVER played an RPG let alone a Palladium product in my games last year. Feel free to join either of my splicers games. Some characters will be for beginners and othes will be for advanced players, but they will all be fun, and I'll have a great time killing each and every one of you.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

I am running 5 games at the OH this year and always welcome newbies to my table.
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I too am bringing a virginal Palladium player to the OH. Of course, I'm not that experienced in the system, either, but I like to think I bring something special to the table...
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

mumah wrote:I too am bringing a virginal Palladium player to the OH. Of course, I'm not that experienced in the system, either, but I like to think I bring something special to the table...

Thirded, my wife has never, and I'm rusty.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Most of the GMs at the POH are good to newbies. I have also had several n00bs in my games. I am not running any games this year. Well, at least none planned. But I would be glad to do a one on one walk through of the rules, a short games session, or even to lend you dice. I also think all you really need to bring is some food and beverages or cash for some. Most of us have extra dice, pencils, and books.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Some one post a sign on the door... Newbies welcome! :D

Of course newbies are welcome. How else would we pass on the awesomeness of RPG's and Palladium?
ImageImage

Return to “Palladium Open House”