Beast Master & Druid vs Lions. Who wins?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Beast Master & Druid vs Lions. Who wins?

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

This happened Sunday night in my gaming session. After a demon attack on a town was quelled the players were in the process of rebuilding and getting things back to normal. During the attack a herd of cattle stampeded and ran off. Rob playing a Quiron Druid (The blue guys on the Baalgor Wastelands book) decides to be helpful and goes out with some others to bring the herd back to the town.

While out there he came across a mutilated cow corpse. Making a couple of successful skill rolls he determines it was torn apart by lions. Recalling that there is a beastmaster (A jeridu Beastmaster to be exact) he returns to town to get him to help out with the situation. The Beastmaster agrees and they head out on foot.

They get a few miles from town and pick up the trail where Rob found the kill. They track it for a few miles and come to a large field of tall grass. They enter, and continue to try to follow the trail. After a bit they hear noises (The cats giving warning..) They stop.. Realizing they are in tall grass and have no chance of spotting these cats until they leap and are literally right on top of them they start matting down the grass. (In the process making quite a bit of noise doing so.)

I let them clear out a near 10 ft circle. They opt to stand back to back so as to not be taken from behind. They each hear noises coming from in front of them. The lion facing the Druid steps into the area first. (It's a male) The Druid tells the beast master who moves and looks right at it and tries his animal telepathy. (He fails his roll horridly) He tried to convey "Calm down we're not here to hurt you." in a commanding tone. I mention that they hear a noise from behind them. (It's the female entering the clearing.) I then call for initiative. They win. The beast master turns and faces the female who looks ready to pounce. Again in a commanding tone using animal telepathy he orders the female to calm down and states he's not going to hurt her. In response the female changes her stance and is no longer ready to leap and attack. The Druid does nothing as he thinks the Beastmaster has the situation under control.

The male lion however feeling that the Beastmaster is challenging his authority attacks the Beastmaster who's back is to him. He hits and knocks the Beastmaster to the ground sinking his claws into the exposed back of the Jeridu. (He wasn't wearing any armor.) Realizing this isn't working the Druid begins casting repel animals. The Beastmaster fails again to use telepathy on the male. The male misses his bite at the Beastmasters neck. Finally the Druid's repel animals spell goes off. Both lions flee the area.

Deciding the problem isn't resolved the druid begins tracking the lions.. He fails to pick up the trail. The Jeridu meanwhile was thinking about enlarging the size of the matted down grassy area they hastily made. I inform him that he's still bleeding and he takes a point of damage due to blood loss. The Beastmaster has first aid and said he will stop the bleeding.. I then remind him that the damage was done to his back and regardless of the six arms he's gonna need help with that..

Fortunately the Druid returns and patches him up. He didn't have anything to sew him up but he did have bandages and I allowed him to stop the bleeding. Enough so that they will be able to return to the town and get him to a healer.

Instead of returning to the town they opt to try following the tracks of the animals. They try to pick up the path of the female from where she entered the area. They manage to do so and follow it back to the den. There they discover two cubs. They realize that they were protecting the young.

I describe the den as being at the base of a 70 ft tall tree.

They realize that the lions will return to the cubs and they opt to wait for them. Yep they literally waited for them to return which they eventually did. As they approached I noted that they seemed to be moving quickly/noisily through the tall grass. (running)

The two of them decide that waiting on the ground is a bad idea and they both climb up the tree. The Jeridu climbs up 20 ft and the Druid 30 ft. The two lions arrive and are angry that the den has been disturbed. The female goes by the young protectively. The male begins moving about at the bottom of the tree. Again the Beastmaster tried animal telepathy. He succeeds but the male is enraged that his young have been endangered. The only message coming back to the Beastmaster is "Kill invaders" "Protect the young ones" "I'll tear them apart"

The Beastmaster decides 20 ft isn't enough and starts climbing, as does the druid when he sees the jeridu moving higher. Yep they somehow thought climbing a tree would help against a LION.

The male leaps up 20ft into the tree. The two players climb up higher. They are at about 40 and 50 ft respectively. I ask for the weights. Each is about 200 lbs. The Lion also leaped up closer as well. Risking going higher the druid fails a climb skill. He rolls again and fails again.. Thus falling 50 ft to the ground. (5d6 but halved as he was able to roll with impact.)
The Beastmaster climbs up another 10 ft. This puts him 20 ft above the male lion.

The Lions turn. The male leaps 20 ft and grabs hold of the Jeridu with his claws. This puts them up 50 ft. And weighing roughly 500 lbs. I inform the Beastmaster that the limbs he is standing on are starting to crack under the pressure. But before he can react the female lion decides to attack the druid who fell from the tree.. As he hit the ground he's not on his feet so I made a called shot for the jugular. Natural 19 and it wasn't dodged. She gets the druid by the neck.

The Druid takes his thumb and jabs it in the lionesses eye. She fails a save vs pain and lets go of his neck. But he's still profusely bleeding from the neck. The Beastmaster then tells me that he is going to push away from the tree so that his body is parallel with the earth. Then when the lion lets go of him he will grab a branch using gymnastics.

I made him clarify this three times before I moved on with the game..

ME: So you want to push off with your legs and then your hands? Are you falling backwards?
Player running the Beastmaster: No I'm pushing off with my feet first and pushing out with my hands. The idea is that I'll be able to grab a branch on the way down and use gymnastics to prevent falling.
ME: So your gonna be facing the ground with the lion on your back? Is that right?
Player: Exactly, the lion will jump off and I'll grab back on to the tree.

So he does this. The lion simply leapt to the tree and caught hold of it again. I ruled that the force of the lion pushing off put the Beastmaster off balance so he had to make a sense of balance roll prior to attempting to catch a branch.

He failed and fell to the ground.

At this point the Druid using the new quick cast rules cast repel animals again. (I was nice and said his vocal cords were still intact even though they most likely would have been torn out.)

The lioness fails and flees, one of the cubs flees. The other cub and the male who is climbing down from the tree make the saves.

The session ended with them both fleeing on foot.. But piror to leaving the beastmaster again tried to use animal telepathy to tell the male "We're not a threat to you." To which the Druid said "No duh! They just kicked our asses.. He knows we're not a threat to him.

:lol:
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Beast Master & Druid vs Lions. Who wins?

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

So you're why I've been getting odd messages from the wookie for months now.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Yep he's one of the twisted individuals I have to GM. Oh and I'm sure the character he has been complaining about for months on end is the Jeridu.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

No comment. :D
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Unread post by LJ »

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:Yep he's one of the twisted individuals I have to GM. Oh and I'm sure the character he has been complaining about for months on end is the Jeridu.

I can't wait for next game, where if the both of them get back alive, the druid will steal the job offer for the Beast master. :lol:
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

So, the answer is LJ wins when a Beast Master and a Druid fight some lions.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Misfit KotLD wrote:So, the answer is LJ wins when a Beast Master and a Druid fight some lions.

I feel sorry for the Druid trusting that the Beast master could do the job. :lol:
ECHO Member
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

LJ wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:So, the answer is LJ wins when a Beast Master and a Druid fight some lions.
I feel sorry for the Druid trusting that the Beast master could do the job. :lol:
Slow learning curve?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
LJ wrote:
Slow learning curve?

He is a new PC, so he hasn't had much experience with the Jeridu Beast master. Although, many warning signs went off during their initial conversation.

Beast master: I see you have a falcon.

Druid: Yep.

Beast master: I have one too.

Druid: That's nice.

Beast master: Want to bunk up?

Druid: WHAT!?!

:lol:
ECHO Member
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

How did that exchange not end with the Druid pimp slapping the Jerridu?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Misfit KotLD wrote:How did that exchange not end with the Druid pimp slapping the Jerridu?

Not sure, but next session will probably have that happen. :lol:
ECHO Member
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

It should have already occured.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

You know, I would have paid real money to have been a fly on the wall during that gaming session... I don't think that's ever gonna get old. :lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Uncle Servo wrote:You know, I would have paid real money to have been a fly on the wall during that gaming session... I don't think that's ever gonna get old. :lol:

We totally should set up podcasts of our games.
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:You know, I would have paid real money to have been a fly on the wall during that gaming session... I don't think that's ever gonna get old. :lol:

I don't think the world is ready for 10 hours of the Jeridu doing anything. :eek:
ECHO Member
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

LJ wrote:
UR Leader Hobbes wrote:

I don't think the world is ready for 10 hours of the Jeridu doing anything. :eek:

Clearly a significant amount of editing would be necessary. 8-)
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

It could have been worse. The GM could have done a Redux of that old film "A ghost in the darkness" With Val Kilmer and Michal Dougless. I will say no more about it. Ifn you have seen the film you will know what I am yalking about.

It also occured to me that the gm fudged things a bit in favor of the pc's. Where was the rest of the pride??:?? There should have been at least 2-3 females in the group. Im just a little curious. Also Im not sure I would have let the "We mean no harm/we are no threat to you" Fly. espically when they had cubs to feed. The return response would have been "the young must feed, food for the cubs" or something along those lines. It would be different if there were not any young to feed. Having to feed the young should have at least given a modifer for the saving throw. Also if they were stupid enough to go back to the lions den while still injured, then the FULL pride should have been there with a minimum of at least 2-3 Adult lions. Those that did not go along with the hunting party in order to protect the cubs.

I probably would not have let them survive the 2nd encounter. and no that does not label me a Killer GM. They made a bad choice. Insted of going back to town, getting healed up and warning the town of the danger, they went after the lions again themselves while still injured. The Lions would have smelled the blood a long way off. The GM was overly generous in this encounter. at least IMHO.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

So, th GM throws a softball and the Jerridu stil blows it and you blame the GM for being too nice. Also, you reference the Ghost and the Darkness then counter with a full pride. Interesting.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

i said could have. The "Ghost in the darkness" Reference was about showing how dangerous BIG cats like Lions can be. and these people have somewhat modern firearms available to them.

What I am saying is This. The 2 above characters encounter the lions. 1 of those Pc's gets hurt and then somewhat patched up. They choose to continue to persue the lions. IMHO that was a Huge mistake. I would have gone Out of Character and warn them about what they are probably getting into. Meaning the probabality of Multiple adult Lions at the den. and the fact that surviving such an encounter would be very difficult.

They had a chance to go back to town, warn the townsfolk about the lions, get healed up and get more manpower to deal with the situation before going back out there. which is what they should have done but didn't do.

I can understand why the GM had only 2 lions in the initial encounter. It would have been flatout unfair to have more. Afetr firstaiding the 1 PC, they should have went back to town. At the very least to get Proper medical attention.

The 2nd encounter could have been a lot different. The GM could have and in fact should have populated the den with a lot more adult lions. Im sorry for comming off harsh. But they made the chioce to run the gauntlet knowing that surviving the 2nd encounter had a very low probability. "Yeah i got hurt but lets go after the whole pride of lions anyway" IF one of my PC's had done this it definately would not have survived the encounter and I would have nobody to blame for my PC's death but myself because of the BAD decision that I had made about this.

The GM was extraordnarily generous about this IMHO because the 2nd encounter should have been a lot worse. Its one thing to fudge in the PC's favor in encounter #1 where the PC's do not really have any control of the situation that was sprang on them. They made the Conscious decision to track down/go after the lions even when 1 of them was hurt. The PC's should have known that doing this would probably get both of them killed.

If they survie this Id count them lucky because one of them is still bleeding from a neck wound.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”