Arcology City of Chi-Town.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Arcology City of Chi-Town.

Unread post by Lenwen »

Exactly what does the arcology city of Chi-Town have for Self defense ?

EDIT:
Wether its canon refrences or even, Rifter "unofficial" material, I am very curious as to what are some of the defense mechanisms of the arcology.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Re: Arcology City of Chi-Town.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

It's a fortress city lined with weapons. They don't go into detail on chi-town in any book to any great extent or its defenses. But, they do say that any three gods would not survive an all out attack so take that as you will.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Of the 2.2 Million residents 3.7 Million of them are Super-Nega-Psychics, and don't realize it. Their innate ability is what keeps all the Tolkeen vengence squad suicide wizards from teleporting in and opening a D-portal to the Anti-Matter dimension.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Rifter #37 has a number of items - all non-canon, but that's likely all we'll ever see.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Rifter #37 has a number of items - all non-canon, but that's likely all we'll ever see.

I'd tend to agree ..

Only due to the fact that anything stated out .. is usually gone after .. very shortly after its stated out .. well by everyone ..

Tolkeen is a prime example .. :lol:
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

look at black vault for ideas on cs defenses

just remeber slyncrthy nxla and the lord of the deep could attack that thing and stil get schooled
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Carindel
Explorer

Unread post by Carindel »

Note: gods are different from Alien Intelligences. N.B. also that it might go slightly better for those three once Nxla starts turning the 'Burbs into Xombieland. ("Hey, if they aren't gonna use them...!")
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Black Vault definitely a good place to start though ChiTown defense would be exponentially higher than the vault i would think.

Also metioned earlier was Rifter 37. The tech based, anti-teleport rings around the city are defeinitely a "you shall not pass" to those trying to teleport in any way.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

lets see..

first, you have the fact that Chi-town and the surrounding area's fortress cities (remember, there are six on that spot, not just chi-town) are the home to at minimum of a division of troops at any given time. (IIRC.) this means hundreds of robots, tanks, SAM vehicles, etc.. as well as thousands of troops.

second, they have the NTSET, which is basically a military police organization, itself at least regimental in size if not larger.

third, Chi-town itself certanly would mount a number of LRM batteries and point defense turrets. (no source, but logical assumption)

fourth, Chi-town is probably the main training center for Psi-Batt, including their Psi-nullifier production program. this means they will have plenty of people sensitive to magic/PSI and able to react to it.

Fifth, they have the Burbs..which while technically not a defense, contains plenty of pro-CS human groups with access to weapons and armor, and the rest serve as wonderful meatsheilds for the cities.

i don't buy into the CS using TW or Psitech, both of which are things they consider "demonic" by main canon. thus it is possible to teleport into the city, if one could get enough familiarity to pull it off. which is why the CS would maintain a program of constant rennovation of the interior. you need to either be there once (hard in the CS) or have really good pictures of the destination (good luck)..and the port still will fail if the destination is different from the image in your mind. and even if you get in, your arrival will usually get picked up by NTSET or the Psi-Batt, and a manhunt undertaken.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
i don't buy into the CS using TW or Psitech, both of which are things they consider "demonic" by main canon. thus it is possible to teleport into the city, if one could get enough familiarity to pull it off. which is why the CS would maintain a program of constant rennovation of the interior. you need to either be there once (hard in the CS) or have really good pictures of the destination (good luck)..and the port still will fail if the destination is different from the image in your mind. and even if you get in, your arrival will usually get picked up by NTSET or the Psi-Batt, and a manhunt undertaken.

Actually the Anit-teleport riongs I mention aren't TW or magic, but technologically designed. Rifter 37.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

right..so the RSCG can't understand magic or Psi yet, as per main canon...but they can build technological magic devices that work?

or better yet, the old Neman's, who had never seen magic before, could build technological counters to it into the city, during a time when you were doing good to keep your people fed?

i don't buy it.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Hey just saying it's in the article and the OP said everything is fair game. I don't buy them having millions of Samas suits either but they do as per canon so.....

As for the rings themselves its the older versionof the RSCG created what is essentially a technoilogical circle of protection that generates an energy field the reverberates in the psychic plane and disrupts teleports and other magical/mystical means of transportation like mystic portals etc. Though the same article syas they don;t fully understand how it works comlpetely but they know it works.

Don;t shoot the messenger just throwing it in there as part of an answer to the OP.

\m/
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

As I've mentioned before, the CS and it's military are actually primarily defensive, not offensive. So, they're fortress cities are going to be nigh indestructble, short of the SDF-1 and the dominator world cracker.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Also, in the same article in Rifter 37 they expain how the "walls" of heavily fortified places are layers of special material needing 300 mdc to destroy a 10x10 ft square of the layer with multiple layers under it.

The example given is a major military installation at Devil's gate. It's walls are 5 feet thick and ther are 20 layers of this material making up the wall. I would imagine the walls of a fortress city are even thicker, maybe 2 or 3 times thicker if not more. That's 40-60 layers so you'd need to do 12-18000 md to punch a 10x10 hole through a wall of a fortress city.

Also some of the cannons of this same installationare essentially Battleship cannons. 350mm in size as well as all the lesser weapons. I woudlimagine this in conjunction to whatever is available to the Black Vault would be availble in very large quantities for the defense of Chi-Town

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:Black Vault definitely a good place to start though ChiTown defense would be exponentially higher than the vault i would think.

I do not think Chi-Town defense would be exponentially higher then the black vault, The Black Vault is an extreamly secret thing, and thier prolly over protecting the Black Vault .. rather then under protecting it .. due to its strategic importance of all those magical assets ..

I do not think they would be able to have the same lvl of defense around the City as a whole .. as they do around the black vault.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah i thought about it after I posted it and you are probably right on this one. Though total defenses woudl still outnumber the Black Vault just by shear volume, whether the Black vault is overprotected or not.

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:Though total defenses woudl still outnumber the Black Vault just by shear volume, whether the Black vault is overprotected or not.

By sheer volume yes. By comparing them for troops per person in each .. Black Vault/Chi-Town. Black Vault would win with a higher protecton in my opinion.

Again, they would rather over protect the black vault rather then under protect it ..
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Agreed....for once :D

More likely would be defenses, thugh multiplied, similar to teh ones used by Ft Laredo in the Rifter 37 article. 350mm Plasma Shell cannons, super Particle Beam cannons, large pulse laser turrets, smaller quad pulse laser turrets, railgun turrets, missile launchers etc etc etc.

\m/
Khanibal
Hero

Techno anit-port systems would be most likely reverse engineered from the device in the basement of the Lone Star facility. Cute how they can vibrate in the psychic plane without setting every sensitives' teeth on edge though.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Khanibal wrote:Cute how they can vibrate in the psychic plane without setting every sensitives' teeth on edge though.

Ya lost me Khan, could you explain this a bit for me ? :(
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Len - They do;t really give much more detail than it generates an energy field that reverberates on the psichic plane and intereferes with a very high rate of success with anyone trying to teleport or any other type of mystical transportation (mystci portal etc) Thats about as specific as the article gets.

\m/
Khanibal
Hero

I don't have Rifter #37. From what Jaymz said, though, it would seem that the RCSG scientist luckily stumbled into a "psychic" frequency that jams teleportation, but is undectable by the hordes of psychics standing around.
Whew! That's good. Imagine if they brought that system online and every psi-stalker/dog-boy/et c. in Chi-town did their best "Scanners" imitation?

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I call BS on that one ..

Something that prevents teleportation .. on that lvl .. that is undetectable by psychic's ?

heehe
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Lenwen wrote:I call BS on that one ..

Something that prevents teleportation .. on that lvl .. that is undetectable by psychic's ?

heehe

That's why its optional material.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Lenwen wrote:I call BS on that one ..

heehe

That's why its optional material.

Indeed. :P
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Hey you are hte one that said all material was fair game :P

\m/
The Galactus Kid

jaymz wrote:Hey you are hte one that said all material was fair game :P

NOT IT!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

No no, Len did in hte OP :)

\m/
The Galactus Kid

jaymz wrote:No no, Len did in hte OP :)

Ah gotcha.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:Hey you are hte one that said all material was fair game :P

No no please do not get me wrong, It is a very great idea.

And I did say all was fair game, because I would honestly like to know canonly or non canonly speaking what the City Fortress has available to its defense. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ok, so canonicly, it has a massive army (or two, depending on how you view their security forces) stationed there, probably has a number of defensive emplacements on it, and would usually have alot of psychic and anti-psychic forces present to detect and respond to supernatural threats.

non-canonicly, it has absurdium based anti-magic protection and more firepower than the deathstar... :roll:

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Metathiax

Unread post by Metathiax »

For anti teleport, they could run a low level (1mdc) force field (reverse engineered or given from triax) inside the walls of the city blocking mages from getting though and hopefully getting stuck in the wall itself.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Metathiax wrote:For anti teleport, they could run a low level (1mdc) force field (reverse engineered or given from triax) inside the walls of the city blocking mages from getting though and hopefully getting stuck in the wall itself.

At present time there is no force field on rifts earth large enough to encompass the entire acology of Chi-town ..

Is there ? :?:
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Copnsidering the low power of said field it could be an extrapolation of hte shiled tech that Triax has developed...

\m/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

jaymz wrote:Copnsidering the low power of said field it could be an extrapolation of hte shiled tech that Triax has developed...

Tho it is very possible .. it goes against what the CS does .. they do not "reverse" engineer anything to reuse in their own military.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well they DID have a couple of dozen Ultimaxes in thier forces for testing so reverse engineering it would actually be possible since they rightfully have the tech as thier own at that point :)

\m/
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

just use dead boy's article on anti teleportation
for chi town
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I beleive thats the Rifter 37 article we were talking about earlier....

\m/
Khanibal
Hero

Whoa, since when do force fields prevent teleportation? I got this fleets of the three galaxies book and there's a special spell for that.

AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Chi-Town does have long-range missile defenses. It's in the Mercs book. Tells why a player group can't take a couple of air castle bombers and bomb the city.
Khanibal
Hero

I got a retired character with a couple of Dreadnoughts. How about I just use my Mass Drivers?

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Prince Artemis wrote:So, they're their fortress cities are going to be nigh indestructble, short of the SDF-1 and the dominator world cracker.

I seriously hope this isn't true should anything official actually get penned. A dominator would let his ship take out chi-town on auto-pilot.

There's nothing intrinsic to CS that should allow them to have this kind of protection - the main reason they survive is that they are one of Rift's most popular story elements (and one of mine).

If Chi-town is this tough, imagine what a real world power's stronghold would be like, let alone a megaversal one.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Part of the reason I don't want to see Lazlo stated out either....(munchkins) would be rolling over canon Chi-Town and Lazlo every other game...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

AdmTolval wrote:Chi-Town does have long-range missile defenses. It's in the Mercs book. Tells why a player group can't take a couple of air castle bombers and bomb the city.

Sorry but no it does not.

Rifts Mercenaries pg 114 wrote:
Important CS Note: The Coalition States are terrified about the potential danger of this 21st century Bomber. They have increased thier air capabilities accordingly.

It then goes on to state that any Castle bomber that enter's CS air space will be shot down with out warning or anything.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Lenwen wrote:[

It then goes on to state that any Castle bomber that enter's CS air space will be shot down with out warning or anything.

Hell, they try to shoot them down well OUTSIDE the CS's (declared) airspace if they can!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

taalismn wrote:
Lenwen wrote:[

Hell, they try to shoot them down well OUTSIDE the CS's (declared) airspace if they can!

If they do it is something I was unaware of .. I only know what it states about the Bomber as it is written in the Merc's book.
Khanibal
Hero

I think it's in the Merctown book or the CWC. They've shot down a few that were more than 200 miles out of CS airspace.

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Lenwen wrote:
AdmTolval wrote:Chi-Town does have long-range missile defenses. It's in the Mercs book. Tells why a player group can't take a couple of air castle bombers and bomb the city.

Sorry but no it does not.

Rifts Mercenaries pg 114 wrote:
Important CS Note: The Coalition States are terrified about the potential danger of this 21st century Bomber. They have increased thier air capabilities accordingly.

Mercenaries pg 114 - they shot 5 total and three of those were 100 miles outside of CS airspace. Just needed to keep reading that section

Mercenaries pg 146 - CS Air Defense Systems
Khanibal
Hero

Ah, ok.

AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Mercenaries pg 146 - CS Air Defense Systems

Thank you :)

Return to “Rifts®”