vampires in space!

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Re: vampires in space!

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Considering that vamps are able to function at full power in the night, I'd say that nighttime UV is harmless to them. However, as you seem to be angling toward outerspace, Then you might want to add some damage to unprotected vamps outside of the Earth's atmosphere. But I'd make it just slightly more then a normal human would take (don't even ask me what that would be - maybe in Mutants in Orbit, TMNT Guide to the Universe, or some place like that).
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

This is how I would handle Vamps. in space.
Inside the heliopause, the star's light is "sunlight" and causes normal sunlight damage.
Outside any heliopause, in interstellar space, any starlight looses it's 'sunlight" definition.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

If they get hit from direct sunlight then it's not night anymore. It's day. For a vampire it just became a bad day.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Beatmeclever wrote:Considering that vamps are able to function at full power in the night, I'd say that nighttime UV is harmless to them. However, as you seem to be angling toward outerspace, Then you might want to add some damage to unprotected vamps outside of the Earth's atmosphere. But I'd make it just slightly more then a normal human would take (don't even ask me what that would be - maybe in Mutants in Orbit, TMNT Guide to the Universe, or some place like that).

Considering that humans are able to stay out all night every night without skin protected and not get sunburn, I'd say that nighttime UV is too weak to affect human or vampire. This is also why a full moon (which is reflected sunlight) doesn't hurt vampires. Moonlight is just too weak.
So a good rule of thumb is, if the sunlight is strong enough to give you a tan, make your skin flake off, or risk melanoma a couple decades down the road, then vampires will be hurt by it.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:
Beatmeclever wrote:Considering that vamps are able to function at full power in the night, I'd say that nighttime UV is harmless to them. However, as you seem to be angling toward outerspace, Then you might want to add some damage to unprotected vamps outside of the Earth's atmosphere. But I'd make it just slightly more then a normal human would take (don't even ask me what that would be - maybe in Mutants in Orbit, TMNT Guide to the Universe, or some place like that).

Considering that humans are able to stay out all night every night without skin protected and not get sunburn, I'd say that nighttime UV is too weak to affect human or vampire. This is also why a full moon (which is reflected sunlight) doesn't hurt vampires. Moonlight is just too weak.
So a good rule of thumb is, if the sunlight is strong enough to give you a tan, make your skin flake off, or risk melanoma a couple decades down the road, then vampires will be hurt by it.

Thank you for simply restating what was already said.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

This is a topic I spent a lot of time pondering in my off days..

The substances that are used for killing vampires have been well known for centuries, but there has been little thought into the significance of those substances and whether insights into those substances may sugest weaknesses to things unknown to ancient man.

For example, sunlight. Sunlight kills vampires, this is well known.

However, moonlight and starlight do not.

To the ancients, there was no contradiction here. However, to the modern astronomer, this leads to many questions. The sun is a star, why does that one star hurt vampires while all the others do not? A simple explaination is distance (the stars are light years away, the sun isn't).

But the moon is a different issue. The ancients believed The Moon gave off light, but that moonlight didn't hurt vampires made a lot of sense to them. And it is this lack of property that needs re-evaluation from a modern viwpoint.

Modern astronomers understand that the moon is reflected sunlight! But *why* are vampires unharmed by it!?

I am a chemist by trade, and chemists only do three things, mix things, filter things, and shine lights through things. We chemists know about shining lights through things, and this behavior of moonlight is fascinating. The light that hits the moon is sunlight, pure, vampire killing, sunlight. However, the light that *leaves* the moon is vampire-safe.

Are there other aspects of light like this? Yes. If you bounce a light off a mirror, it bounces unmodified. If however you bounce a white light off of a tinted mirror (For example, a red tinted mirror), the red light reflects, but the blue light is absorbed.

Using that model, the whatever it is in sunlight that kills the vampires, hits the moon, but doesn't reflect off it! The Moon has been *absorbing* vampire killing ability for no less than 400 million years!!!! It could very well be that moonlight does not kill vampires, but moonrock is pure, concentrated, anti-vampire killing power. The ancients didn't have moon rock, they wouldn't know...

But there is a moon rock in The Smithsonian, and all I'd need is a vampire to test my theory.

Partt II

There is something in sunlight that kills vampires and whatever that is is presumably absorbed by the moon.. but what 'is' that thing, and how does that thing reflect in anti-vampire weapons?

Vampires are hurt by holy weapons, does this possibly lead insight?

Now is the sun a holy weapon? The sun is perhaps the most worshipped item in human history. The sun has been worshipped by mankind for millennia. I propose that the fundamental difference between the sun an other stars is *not* distance, but actually sanctity. The stars are not as holy as the sun is. Mankind spent its first tens of thousands of years sanctifying The Sun. Perhaps no other heavenly body has reached the level of sanctity that The Sun has reached.

What does this say for vampire weapons?

For starters, the sun is primarily hydrogen, and it's solar infused hydrogen, sanctified hydrogen. This hydrogen would be, if it could be removed from the sun and cooled down to normal temperature, odorless, colorless, and chock full of vampire killing goodness! Solar helium would be similar.

But the vampires would scream in really funny sqeaky voices as they die.

As for vampires in space, this would lead to some interesting consequences. Of course the vacuum of space would mean risking unfettered solar exposure and instant death.

Now vampires on other planets would have other consequences. Imagine vampires on a world where the local star is not sanctified. These vampires would be perfectly comfortable in the unholy daylight.... *however* when Sol would rise in the sky, the sanctified rays would kill these space vamps under the terrible light of the 'vampire killing star'.

Imagine, Vampires who fear the night.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

I think you need to look at the more mystical/elemental nature of vampires as it keeps stressing in vampire kingdoms and Azano.

There weakness to Sunlight is based on the sun over a planet in a cycle of daytime and night time, not in space. In space it is just a big ball of plasma, as has been mentioned earlier it is star light so they would take no damage.

The vampire however would must likely be freaking out right now, being separted from a world even with a bed of soil from his homeland would be like traveling over water. He would be panicing, driven crazy...why because they are linked to the elements, vampire kingdoms does mention them being quasi-elemental beings.

In the end vampires would not travel in space well, they would have to be staked in order to travel from world to world on a starship, no doubt flown (or smuggled) by mind slaves. They may be exceptions, but vampires will not fly between planets nicely, they'll be kicking and screaming and biting...

You could do a nice take on Dracula, a space ship crash lands on a planet, everyone onboard is dead...a mysterous stranger shows up in town...

That is just my take on it

Judas
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Supergyro wrote:For example, sunlight. Sunlight kills vampires, this is well known.

However, moonlight and starlight do not.

Neither does Globe of Daylight, true tan giving sunlight.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”